Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm reading online about how these teas are going to kill or deform my unborn child.

Friday: lemon ginger

Saturday: peppermint

Sunday: raspberry hibiscus

That's redonkulous. All those are good for you.

lemon and ginger for vomiting/nausea

peppermint for vomiting/nausea

raspberry hibiscus for heaven on your tongue. I used to drink hibiscus cooler all the time and Gymnast is not deformed or dead.

41FYhSbifCL._SY355_.jpg

• Like 3

That's redonkulous. All those are good for you.

lemon and ginger for vomiting/nausea

peppermint for vomiting/nausea

raspberry hibiscus for heaven on your tongue. I used to drink hibiscus cooler all the time and Gymnast is not deformed or dead.

41FYhSbifCL._SY355_.jpg

She's trouble though. You can't deny that.

• Like 5

You don't think Latin has been beneficial? I need to start a thread on this at some point. Latin vs Greek, the benefits of each and why people choose one over the other. People keep saying that teaching Latin is fun. Do you know what else is fun? Not teaching Latin. At some point I need to decide how important that actually is to me. Greek is very important, but the classical/vocabulary/grammar aspect is really just an added bonus.

I was going to be ambitious with dd16 when she was young, teaching English and Spanish for bilingual/biliteracy, and Latin. After a while, like the first year that I was going to buy Latin but then didn't have the money for it, I decided that bilingualism was more important to me and concentrated on that. Her Spanish background has been beneficial when studying Latin roots and dabbling in other languages. We've only dabbled in Greek through MFW, so no advice there.

• Like 3

Susan, do you have plants in the bathroom?  That is the likely source, if so.  

My boys took three years of Latin at co-op with a fantastic teacher.  I never took Latin, and I will never be teaching Latin.  For awhile, when I was more energetic, I did the root words flash cards of some program or such.  Forget which.  Have it on the shelf somewhere.  I am very proud of their three years of Latin.  

• Like 3

Susan, do you have plants in the bathroom?  That is the likely source, if so.  

My boys took three years of Latin at co-op with a fantastic teacher.  I never took Latin, and I will never be teaching Latin.  For awhile, when I was more energetic, I did the root words flash cards of some program or such.  Forget which.  Have it on the shelf somewhere.  I am very proud of their three years of Latin.  

Was it English from the Roots Up? That has Latin and Greek, though.

Was it English from the Roots Up? That has Latin and Greek, though.

Yes, that was it.  It had both.  So fast and easy.  All the bang for your SAT buck with no pain.

Yes, I know there is more to learning a language than SAT.  Sigh.  Don't you all know me better by now???

Also, a lot of bang for your homeschool mom "Look at this cool thing we're doing over breakfast" deal that takes no time at all.

The older I get and the longer I do this, the more things fall off the map, like this.  Poor little dd.

• Like 3

I was going to be ambitious with dd16 when she was young, teaching English and Spanish for bilingual/biliteracy, and Latin. After a while, like the first year that I was going to buy Latin but then didn't have the money for it, I decided that bilingualism was more important to me and concentrated on that. Her Spanish background has been beneficial when studying Latin roots and dabbling in other languages. We've only dabbled in Greek through MFW, so no advice there.

I'm thinking...

Birth-1st = casual Spanish

2nd = GSWS+Duolingo

3rd-5th = So You Really Want To Learn Spanish with readers 

6th-8th = Latin Alive!

1st(or 2nd)-8th Greek with Mama 15-30 minutes a day 5 days a week

I've been trying to figure my Spanish plan out for a while and Greek for about 6 months. We don't have to stick with that plan, but having a plan lets me know if it's insane. I think that's manageable. I don't want to use 3 math programs or do 2 hours of language arts everyday so I think we can do it.

You know enough Spanish to teach it like a first language. Speak to them every other day in Spanish. In 2nd or 3rd, if not already reading it, teach reading in Spanish and get easy readers on the subjects you are studying - science, arts, history. In this way, you're not teaching two foreign languages. Remember, reading/language transfers. They will not need 2 hours of language arts. A noun is a noun, just called by a different name in Spanish. Seriously. Make it easy on yourself. :D

You can add Greek or Latin whenever you want with this plan.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 1

You don't think Latin has been beneficial? I need to start a thread on this at some point. Latin vs Greek, the benefits of each and why people choose one over the other. People keep saying that teaching Latin is fun. Do you know what else is fun? Not teaching Latin. At some point I need to decide how important that actually is to me. Greek is very important, but the classical/vocabulary/grammar aspect is really just an added bonus.

We do both. My kids all started Latin in 3rd grade. So they're in different books. Unfortunately DS had a harder transition to b&m (brick & mortar) school, so while I after schooled him Latin for a few months, he was flunking (literally) science and math. So, we dropped Latin. I was really sad! He liked it and did well. And I do like learning Latin. I wish I had time to study it for myself. We all started Greek last year at the same time. I love it. The alphabet took a while to get, but we all think it's pretty fun! And if you understand the structure of Latin (conjugations and declensions), then Greek is a piece of cake! Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

You know enough Spanish to teach it like a first language. Speak to them every other day in Spanish. In 2nd or 3rd, if not already reading it, teach reading in Spanish and get easy readers on the subjects you are studying - science, arts, history. In this way, you're not teaching two foreign languages. Remember, reading/language transfers. They will not need 2 hours of language arts. A noun is a noun, just called by a different name in Spanish. Seriously. Make it easy on yourself. :D

You can add Greek or Latin whenever you want with this plan.

I've lost most of my Spanish. :( I dated two boys in high school that only spoke Spanish, but I've lived amongst only English speakers for too long. I need Spanish speaking friends.

My entire house is sick with this cold. The beautiful epic music that at least two of us are trying to write with keeps getting punctuated with loud sniffs and coughs.

Oh, dear. Y'all need the bunny slippers. They always make you feel better.

classic-bunny-slippers.jpeg

• Like 7

Watch the novellas on the Spanish speaking tv stations!

This is how my bil would strengthen his Spanish. He would have it on while home and just listen to it and he was finally about to understand it. One of his major selling points is that he is bilingual and that's a big deal where he lives. 

• Like 1

Oh, in response to Slash's earlier question:  I'm strictly low carbing.  It's the only way for me to diet with my ridiculously reactive blood sugar.

My goal is to not die.  I am certain that my misery is just like a near death experience.*  Losing weight would be good, too.

*Actually, that's a total lie.  But I am really not good at self-control and deprivation.

• Like 4

Oh, I think I've got it! I have been trying to think of what is different in the house - we have never had a fruit fly problem until this fall. But almost a year ago the basement shower plumbing broke, so the bathtub has gone unused for months. This summer (some of you may remember) that bathroom got really stinky and I couldn't figure it out. Well, it was due to a dry P-trap. As soon as we put water back in, the smell went away.

I bet some fruit flies got in there and are now spreading through the plumbing.

• Like 1

Watch the novellas on the Spanish speaking tv stations!

I learned a lot of Spanish that way. In college, they used Destinos which is available for free on learner.org (http://www.learner.org/series/destinos/sitemap.html). There's also this Destinos syllabus with audio linked: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/global-studies-and-languages/21g-702-spanish-ii-spring-2004/

I met dh, and when I visited there was always a novella on. Since none of them spoke English, if I had a question of what a word was, they basically gave me a synonym for the word instead of translating. That's how I learned that "Largate!" meant "Vete!" I knew vete, but not largate. Doing it this way also helps a person think in the target language, instead of thinking in translation.

• Like 3

I was doing Duolingo. I should get back to that. And reading my early readers. Or Harry Potter. I loved Harry Potter in Spanish.

Book 1 $12.56. It's beyond my Spanish abilities, but I don't care.

I remember when I worked as a bilingual assistant in a first grade classroom. I learned a lot of vocabulary! There's just things that are assumed a child would know growing up, that an adult just wouldn't think about. Anyway, at the end of that semester, I decided to read A Secret Garden in Spanish. I'd never read it in English. I got through that book, every once in a while I'd ask dh, or look something up in the dictionary, but mainly just understood words within context. I was so proud when I got through that  book! Stretching abilities is good.

• Like 4

I remember when I worked as a bilingual assistant in a first grade classroom. I learned a lot of vocabulary! There's just things that are assumed a child would know growing up, that an adult just wouldn't think about. Anyway, at the end of that semester, I decided to read A Secret Garden in Spanish. I'd never read it in English. I got through that book, every once in a while I'd ask dh, or look something up in the dictionary, but mainly just understood words within context. I was so proud when I got through that  book! Stretching abilities is good.

I just had an idea!  I should try to read Frankenstein in Spanish. :lol:  Or not.

I'll have to look to see what the library has.  Probably not much.

• Like 1

Having a cup of turmeric-ginger tea before going off to bed. Tomorrow I will finish removing Christmas from my house. :-)

Mr. Ellie moved our TV from the corner of our family room to the wall opposite the fireplace, which means we'll be sitting with our backs to the fireplace (there's plenty of room between the chairs and the fireplace, of course; we just don't feel the need to be able to watch it all the time. It's sort of like watching paint dry, but I digress). He will eventually build a simple cabinet for it, with some sort of vertical storage for the components, so that I don't ever have to get on my knees to look for something. I hate that. Because old and bad knees.

• Like 4

The only thing different really is adding on either the extra history workbook or the writing strands. He needs more writing, but I'm not sure where to add that where it makes the most sense for him. He loves history, so I thought maybe there, but he might revolt if I mess with his favorites.

Science -we do a lot of science, and he asked for more hands on next year. I'm okay with that.

I'm thinking lose the handwriting and history workbook. Do the writing strands and incorporate handwriting into that. Art and coding are only a few days per week. Hmmmm.

Oh, and the German is what we have for this year, spread out over 2 years, so it's not as strenuous as it sounds. 15-30 minutes per day at most.

That all sounds great!  And I think learning German would be really neat. 

As far as the history "workbook" goes, you're referring to the Activity Guide, right?  I wouldn't really think of it as a workbook.  It's more for you.  It has narration prompts and example narrations (if you want to use SOTW for that), it has suggested book lists to expand on each chapter.  It has maps for coloring and marking (with instructions on what to mark with what color, if you want to do it that way), and it has other coloring pages related to the chapter and sometimes a game or activity or craft, etc.  No one would do everything that's in the activity guide.  I liked just handing the kids maps to color however they wished while they listened (but I know you wouldn't do it that way because you're reading during bath).  So, I think the bigger question is do you need the activity guide in addition to HO - maybe not.  Or, you could use the activity guide, and not do HO.  Or you could do HO and use the activity guide as a reference for yourself.

As far as writing goes, I think you just have to try things and see what clicks for you and for him.  And even if it's not smooth, just keep writing something!   

• Like 2

The only thing different really is adding on either the extra history workbook or the writing strands. He needs more writing, but I'm not sure where to add that where it makes the most sense for him. He loves history, so I thought maybe there, but he might revolt if I mess with his favorites.

He could do short reports (and they should be short because of his age) on history. Writing Strands would help his actual writing ability, history would be the "more writing."

FTR, I met the author and his wife. They were wonderful people. And Writing Strands is my favorite.

• Like 2

I love the thanking part. Helps eliminate the guilt! I thanked all my clothes for teaching me that I look horrible in that color and/or style and not to stray too far from the basics.

Actually, yes.  I like Kondo's method of "releasing" objects that one is likely to hoard.  I'm a minimalist myself so this process isn't too hard for me, but dh has a very rough time breaking "attachments" to things that are no longer needed or useful to us.  

• Like 1

Good morning, friends.

Chuck the fix-it floor dude who looks like Uncle Si is here replacing a faucet or two.  

I did not want to start back with school today, but it is inevitable.  Also, life started back.  I have somewhere to be tonight and then two places to be Tuesday and Thursday for the foreseeable future, meaning the month of January.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 6

That's what I thought but then I realized that one does not say "no" to the Queen. 

So "Yes, Ma'am, Queen Ellie."

Don't anyone tell her that I've gone back to bed.   :leaving:

I haven't gotten out yet.

Remember my half-completed root canal??  Off to the endodontist to finish the job.  

Fun stuff.

Yay! Happy pills!

By the way, the doctor said I didn't have an ear infection and I still have the issue that horrified Tex so I guess I'm not going deaf.

I should really work out today but that would involve putting a sports bra on and that would be very hard.

• Like 2

Ikslo, I have this magic power of being invisible when I want to. I can be the only person in a room (or cubicle!) and have someone walk in looking for me and not being able to see me. I'm 5'10" and wear bright colors. It makes no sense.

I had such plans today. I was going to work out, hit the house like a machine, school, Spanish, Greek, Bible, bathe the kids and maybe paint my nails. I got this gorgeous burgundy nail polish at Ulta marked down to like 88 cents. Instead I began a workout, overheated, almost died and then laid on the floor for 40 minutes while the kids said butt back and forth. Now I'm massively behind schedule.

Chai tea. Was I supposed to put it in just milk? I put it in water and splashed some milk in like coffee creamer. There was something brown in the tea on the box but I couldn't figure out what it was so I put cinnamon on it. That worked out well.

doing-science-photo-u1.jpg

• Like 4