Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

(((slachey))) how is baby this morning?

I can't believe Junie has another baby in college.

We are struggling with laptop usage.  We have one that functions really well with everything and one that can handle a couple of things but not enough to share and so it's become a major ordeal for everyone to get math done and online class and tech class and papers written.  I may have to break down and buy another.  I'm hoping for some good Labor Day sales and help from ds27 who knows about things.

I'm going to pick up dd19 from class today during her lunch break and take her to pick up her new glasses.

I think Chester has eaten 3 puzzle pieces so far.  Little stinker.

Coffee!

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

((slachey))) how is baby this morning?

Baby is good, big baby has a runny nose which is what happened to baby yesterday. The babies might wind up watching movies while the kids and I work. We're on closets today. We'll see.

• Like 5

I have been talked into not doing housework today.

22 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Is that Fiesta Texas?

Yes. I've not inspected it too closely, but it's definitely an ice cream and chocolate thing on a funnel cake. I feel like that's all I really need to know. :laugh:

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Oh good! I thought I somehow missed a day somewhere and that would not be a good thing this week. I'm trying to get everything ready for the new school year to begin next week. Willy Nilly! 

Sorry.  That was my fault.  I've been travelling for the last week and a half and I lost track of days. :)

• Like 3

Ds had his first day of class for the semester today.  One of his classes was cancelled since profs wife has covid so he only had one class.    Then I took him out driving.  We are taking it super slow and mainly driving around parking lots practicing right turns, avoiding curbs, and slower starts and stops.  His first couple times out he hit things so we took a step back. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Goals for today:        
Amazon return to UPS
Pick up dd19's glasses    
Mow lawn    
Take shower       
Online Uke Jam?

I made it halfway through mowing the lawn and the battery gave out.  I'm hoping it will charge enough to finish up in a little bit.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I made it halfway through mow lawn and the battery was out.  I'm hoping it will charge enough to finish up in a little bit.

I did some weed-whacking ala "Jean style" and edging and mowed again until the battery gave out and imma call it done.  Dd13 is blowing off the sidewalk.  I didn't do a great job with the edging but maybe ds17 can fix it up later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Slache said:

Yes. I've not inspected it too closely, but it's definitely an ice cream and chocolate thing on a funnel cake. I feel like that's all I really need to know. :laugh:

Can't remember if we've had it or not. We did memberships a couple of years, the ones which include food, but we decided not to do that again because we can never eat all the food. And I think we might have had funnel cake, which counts as a snack, but I don't think it was with all the stuff. Just doesn't seem right, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I let dd get cotton candy (ie pure sugar) at the fair once. It didn’t take too many bites for her to realize how yucky that made her feel. (This could have backfired but I was glad that it didn’t.). 

Cotton candy is one of my favorite things. But then again, I have been known to eat spoonfuls of sugar, no medicine needed. To each their own!

Edited by ikslo
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

My poor kids have diabetes on both sides of the family. While sugar doesn’t cause diabetes, it doesn’t help 

Oh, yeah that would make her feel bad then.

That reminds me of the time we accidentally bought DS a huge Laffy Taffy on vacation. The small ones don’t (or didn’t) have egg. But the big one has egg albumen.  We didn’t know. We tried to stop him from eating it when we realized but he ate it anyway (quickly, before we could grab it away). He threw up all over my hair and down my back. Poor kid. Never had to tell him twice not to eat something after that. If we said, “Don’t eat that!” He’d drop it like a hot potato!

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

I used a weed whacker for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I did a part of the yard where Gymnast plays. It looked like a bad hair cut. I weed whacked again last week in more visible areas and did much better.

We've kinda started some school stuff this week - just reading, spelling, and math. She also had a violin assessment with Practice Monkeys and moved up a level. She'll be practicing the last 4 songs of Suzuki book 1. It may take a while to get through though, because orchestra and mariachi start next week, so she's started practicing the orchestra music.

She is up to my forehead now. But, I'm short, so there's that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've been immersing myself in cdramas lately. Language Reactor is such a cool extension. On Netflix, I can set it so the subtitles show in pinyin (Roman letters), characters, and English. I can pause, hover over characters, get a definition and examples, replay just the sentence I'm studying. I've been taking notes in my drawing translation notebook. I even got a recipe off one of the dramas and cooked it the other night. I was able to narrate some of it in Chinese to Gymnast, too, with some basic phrases other than the ingredients. 

It's available for many languages.

But, I need to back off. Gymnast is feeling neglected. I'll relegate my addiction to just the night time.

Edited by Renai
added info
  • Like 7

So, today was a completely free day, and I thought I'd tidy up my office and do other mundane things. But no. I veged in my comfy recliner all day. I finally realized that I had spent four very people-y days in a row and apparently needed to detox and refuel, even though I enjoyed those four days of people-y activities.

It gets worse as I get older. WTH.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Did I miss anything important?

DS 17 had a cold last week. He gave it to Little Man today. Argg!

Today I also accepted that trying to get Little Man to focus on school while in the big open gameroom space upstairs with older siblings coming and going is fruitless and frustrating. The kids grudgingly helped me move the classroom stuff down to the front room aka TV room aka now the classroom and the TV room stuff upstairs to the gameroom space. I promised them no more room moving for the rest of the year. I didn't lift anything, but my back hurts anyway. I took some meds but I can't tell if its helping or not. Well, my brain feels 'flowy' so I guess it is.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 7

Happy Thursday.   

Worked out with dd this morning, now I'm having tea/breakfast before I go banish the goat, drive ds to school, swing by to pick-up younger dd, head to the dentist (her and I both have appointments), then head home to drop off dd, head to school to pick up ds.   Lots of time in the car today.  

I'm on a really good track to have all my classes fully planned for the first session at least before we start. 

Biology is done for session 1 and the rest of the year just needs cleaning up since I've taught that class every year for the past five years.  I want to use some of the better labs I found last year when I taught a non-dissection Biology class for some units.  

My new game design class is done up through the last three weeks of Session 2 when we are going to do some app development.  That comes after Christmas so I'll have a couple breaks to work on that before it happens if I need them. 

My junior classes are all mapped out and planned.

I just need to clean-up already finished Elementary Chemistry, High school Chemistry, Terminology/Note-taking, and Harry Potter, which should all be pretty easy and take maybe an hour or two each.  

Then I need to set up math workshops.  Most of that is also being pulled from previous classes but will need a little more organization.  Still probably only a few hours of work.  

I still have all of next week before we start.   I'm finally not going to be finalizing classes the night before I teach them!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Renai said:

I used a weed whacker for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I did a part of the yard where Gymnast plays. It looked like a bad hair cut. I weed whacked again last week in more visible areas and did much better.

We've kinda started some school stuff this week - just reading, spelling, and math. She also had a violin assessment with Practice Monkeys and moved up a level. She'll be practicing the last 4 songs of Suzuki book 1. It may take a while to get through though, because orchestra and mariachi start next week, so she's started practicing the orchestra music.

She is up to my forehead now. But, I'm short, so there's that.

Gavotte is the BEST!  Mariachi sounds like so much fun.

• Like 4

Good morning!

There is a free ukulele festival in GA about 3 hours from me.  Just a one day thing though I'd probably need to spend the night before coming back.  Could be fun.  Maybe next year.

The Three Youngers are getting ready to leave for tutorial.  I'm borrowing ds27's car to go to women's Bible study and then I plan to get my hair cut.  Making a big batch of cream of broccoli soup this afternoon and then meeting the Ladies of Grief Book Club for dinner and a movie tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 5