Menu

Ignore this thread!

Question. My uncle died maybe two months ago and there's still no obituary. Am I not looking well enough or do many people not have them? Everyone who loved him is either an addict or estranged so I guess no obituary is likely. 

Edited by Slache
  • Sad 5

12 hours ago, Slache said:

Question. My uncle died maybe two months ago and there's still no obituary. Am I not looking well enough or do many people not have them? Everyone who loved him is either an addict or estranged so I guess no obituary is likely. 

I think it's usually done through the funeral home with whoever is handling arrangements for a service or whatever.

• Like 1

Morning.  Happy Thursday.   This week is going too fast and between driving ds to and from school and mom stuff, I'm not getting things done.  

I slept much better last night.   I bought a cooling blanket based on a recommendation here on WTM and it actually works, which helped a ton.  What didn't help was rolling over quickly and practically ripping my earrings out when they rubbed on my pillow.  Ouch.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Slache said:

You can look for the state death notice instead. It won’t say much but it is a public record of death. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EdPo:

I am waffling between cursive workbooks for Oldest. Do I want Rythm of Handwriting Cursive Book or Character Handwriting Beginning Cursive (D'nealian)? For reference, he knows how to form most letters from memory and signs his name in cursive on everything. He can read cursive, just isn't used to writing in it regularly.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

I am waffling between cursive workbooks for Oldest. Do I want Rythm of Handwriting Cursive Book or Character Handwriting Beginning Cursive (D'nealian)? For reference, he knows how to form most letters from memory and signs his name in cursive on everything. He can read cursive, just isn't used to writing in it regularly.

French cursive.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

How old is he?

I'm not a fan of D'nealian in general, so there's that.

I do prefer cursive instruction that teaches the different strokes (forward circle, backward circle, under curve, over curve, etc.), and the dc practice those strokes before learning the letters that use them. Zaner Bloser is like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

French cursive.

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

No. Not felpful!

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Actually, that's the very definition of felpful!  (But it isn't helpful.)

I meant helpful but autocorrect corrected to that which I use most often.

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I love french cursive.

Sorry, I thought you were being a smarty pants (not serious) by suggesting french cursive. 

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

How old is he?

I'm not a fan of D'nealian in general, so there's that.

I do prefer cursive instruction that teaches the different strokes (forward circle, backward circle, under curve, over curve, etc.), and the dc practice those strokes before learning the letters that use them. Zaner Bloser is like that.

Almost 12. He already knows how to form all letters in dnealian so I'm not planning on changing styles on him.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

French cursive is beautiful and closer to what we used than what's used today. More importantly, I find the flow of the hand more natural and therefore it's easier to write for long periods of time. My kids often use cursive instead of manuscript for their free time writing.

• Like 3

The scoutmaster made the mistake of including me in the email thread discussing district council issues around ds17's eagle project and request for an extension.  I have not yet come to the point of going all mamma bear on them, but it's getting close.  

(It wasn't really a mistake, but they may regret it in time.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Almost 12. He already knows how to form all letters in dnealian so I'm not planning on changing styles on him.

I thought you said you wanted cursive?

The D'Nelian cursive is not much different from other hands, so you wouldn't be "changing styles on him."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

We did Rhythm of Handwriting. Probably should get it back out for ds10. Always in such a hurry.

• Like 3

Good morning!  It's Friyay!

Not so much with the sleep last night; maybe I'll get a nap later.  The girls have a scout camping thing this weekend so it will be pretty quiet around here for the next couple of days.  I'm planning to go to Aldi after dropping off the girls and should probably start decluttering some spaces.  I may help ds17 do a college application.

Coffee!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dianthus said:

We did Rhythm of Handwriting. Probably should get it back out for ds10. Always in such a hurry.

Does this go all the way through writing sentences or just properly forming the letters and words? Oldest already can correctly form all the letters, just doesn't have a couple of the upper case letters memorized and has to look. He needs a bit more instruction on connectors and rules for which letters don't connect (some upper case letters). After that, it's just a matter of regularly writing in cursive until it's second nature. I may just buy both because even if he doesn't actually need ROH, I'll use it with the 2 youngers later on. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Does this go all the way through writing sentences or just properly forming the letters and words? Oldest already can correctly form all the letters, just doesn't have a couple of the upper case letters memorized and has to look. He needs a bit more instruction on connectors and rules for which letters don't connect (some upper case letters). After that, it's just a matter of regularly writing in cursive until it's second nature. I may just buy both because even if he doesn't actually need ROH, I'll use it with the 2 youngers later on. 

No sentences.  I bought their font and made my own copywork sheets. Here are some pics towards the end of the book. As wordy as it gets. Had to dig through my homeschool cabinet of Doom.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Dianthus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 73349 said:

We beached. It was windy but very pleasant. I might have a little sunburn on the tops of my feet. Now we're home.

I haven't beached in forever. My mother's family is from the OBX, so I've spent a fair bit of time on the beaches, which was apparently enough for a lifetime. Almost 30 years in California, and I only went to the beach once or twice. Here in Central Texas, it's a looong trip to a real beach, and I just haven't felt the need.

• Like 3

Morning, Happy Saturday.  

I'm enjoying my tea and breakfast then heading to the center to continue organizing.   At some point, I evidently get to go grocery shopping.   Dh has his catherization Monday, had a covid test yesterday and needs to quarantine all weekend so he can't go (he does 99% of the shopping) and won't be able to go until at least Thursday of next week.  I suggested a pick-up order but evidently we only need a couple things, at least for now.  

His covid test was negative.   As far as we know, none of us (except oldest dd who doesn't live here) have had covid.   We don't test but haven't had symptoms either. 

I lost 2 pounds.  I'm trying to cut out added sugar and sweets.  It's been three days and it actually hasn't been that hard.  

• Like 5

The batteries in my scale died a month ago and I have yet to replace them. I did keto early this year and lost 20 pounds, but got hit with MAJOR fatigue that left me unable to function for three months after. I still have a ton of weight to lose. I really wish I could work out.

Saturday! Leftover school! It's butt!

• Like 4

Good morning!

Krissi, do you think you'll get any rain?  We have light rain here this morning.  I feel a little bad for the camping scouts, but they will manage to have fun anyway.

Imma help ds17 with a college application and some scout stuff and try to finish up my crocheted dishcloth.  I made a scout-themed design and am going to make a few for the silent auction in December.

Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Krissi, do you think you'll get any rain?  We have light rain here this morning.  I feel a little bad for the camping scouts, but they will manage to have fun anyway.

Imma help ds17 with a college application and some scout stuff and try to finish up my crocheted dishcloth.  I made a scout-themed design and am going to make a few for the silent auction in December.

Coffee!

We’ve had a few sprinkles. I don’t think we will get anything measurable, though.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Sad 3

Krissi's rain has been delivered to my house instead. Shipping and supply chain issues, ugh.

Confirmed: We could, if called upon to evacuate, get out of the driveway in five minutes, with some essentials (medicine, phones and chargers, etc.). At least if it's daytime.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1