Menu

Ignore this thread!

23 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I am currently in a hotel banquet room eating a donut.  It’s past my bedtime.  I’m bored - let’s play 20 questions.  

We play Unlimited Questions at our house because 1. we often need a lot of guesses and 2. no one wants to keep track of how many questions have been asked.

And the first question is often: Is it made by God?

• Like 1

I need to get my stairs and sofas cleaned. Couches are light colored and one is pretty dingy from the kids. World's dumbest upholstery purchase. Next sofas will be black.

It costs $420 to have it professionally cleaned and scotchguarded. Should I do that or buy my own cleaning machine? I bought a rug/upholstery cleaning machine about a yr ago but it didn't work and I returned it. Maybe a more expensive one works better? Maybe a steam cleaner? Should I just leave this to the professionals?

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Oh, I thought of one… is it used by pirates??

No, well maybe if you are Johnny Depp or that other guy.  Sort of.  I’m about to eat a piece of pizza.  No plates.  Also, apparently this is “lunch”.  We were supposed to be done by now, but running late.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Morning, Happy Saturday.

dd and I are going to get our piercings this morning.  

ds survived his first day at work.   His back hurt from 4 hours of walking around/standing but other than that it seemed fine.   He even said helping customers wasn't that bad.   I suggested he wear the new shoes dh had bought him that are good for standing and it might help his back.  Plus gave him some suggestions like - squat down instead of bending over, occasionally squat down/sit on the floor to clean up bottom shelves, mix up the standing/walking, etc.   But I'm proud of him.  He's on the spectrum, SPD, anxiety, a little hypochondria (washes his hands a LOT) so his first job was going to be tough but it looks like it will be okay 🤞.   He's working for a Halloween store so it's a temporary job, will only last a couple months and is a casual atmosphere so about the best we could hope for as a first job. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

I'm up, I'm up already, geez Louise!  I need to go to Aldi and do some other things.  Dd24 texted that the eye doctor screwed up and ordered a brand of contacts that the company doesn't carry.  So she is going to have to start from scratch because she no longer has that vision insurance and the eye doctor is closed all weekend.  😠

Imma need some

Coffee!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I'm back!

I ran into an old friend at Aldi, literally almost bumped heads as we were going for tomatoes and avocados, lol.  We both have kids that are much older than we remember - our youngest kids are the same age.  It's always a little shocking to find out your old friend's kids are grown up and out on their own and not still in middle school!

Ds27 said he went to UPS this morning and then to Dunkin Donuts next door for some breakfast.  He let a lady go ahead of him in line since he was still looking over the menu and when he ordered his food, the lady paid for his breakfast.  🥰

I gotta go fill up the bird feeder and then maybe have some breakfast/lunch.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You got me curious. The cost of a large jug of gluten free soy sauce is $1.50 more than the cost of regular. 

I think it's more the work it takes to stay GF in the kitchen, and the insurance liability of claiming and then messing it up. I've seen a lot of "doesn't contain gluten ingredients" type of things, but actually calling yourself GH is expensive, or so I'm told.

• Like 2

Just now, Slache said:

I think it's more the work it takes to stay GF in the kitchen, and the insurance liability of claiming and then messing it up. I've seen a lot of "doesn't contain gluten ingredients" type of things, but actually calling yourself GH is expensive, or so I'm told.

(I’m just dialoging about this so don’t think that I am arguing). For the gf teriyaki place keeping it gf was easy because they just didn’t have any gluten in the restaurant. So no special “gluten free counters or grills” because they were all gluten free. Other than the soy sauce none of the veggies, rice or meat contain gluten (naturally). I don’t think that they had any special insurance or anything?  (The previous owner used to come sit with us when we would eat there and told us about some of the ins and outs of the business. ). The food was labeled as using gluten free ingredients but anyone who is celiac knows that there are no 100% guarantees. I belong to an app that rates restaurants for their celiac safety etc and it’s all rated by fellow celiacs- we are just helping each other be safe. 

I have gone to three other completely gluten free restaurants. One was a tiny bakery cafe. All baked goods were gf. Prices weren’t bad. They went out of business but it was around the start of Covid so it might have been due to that. But that owner had told me previously that she was struggling a bit- keeping a business afloat in the Big City isn’t easy. 

Another is a gf pub. All brews are gf and are made there. Food is good but a bit pricier. We go there for special occasions only. But it’s always crowded and times like Mother’s Day can have a line going down the block.  I think that you pay for hipster ambiance there as well as the food. 😉

There is another gf pub in the Big City. Food portions are small and overpriced. I went once but won’t go again. 

Most places we go are “ordinary places “ with a gf menu. I choose places that are rated safe on my gf app and haven’t gotten sick. Most of them ask questions about cross contamination risks and tell me up front that they can’t promise 100% no cross contamination but they appear to be pretty careful anyway. Some have special dishes for gluten free meals. I have had managers come out to talk with me to assure me that they are being careful (not at my request!  They just show up at my table!). 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It’s drizzling here

Here too.  Lots of thunder today.  Last night they had to cancel filming the scene with the children's choir singing because there was too much lightning.  At least they got to be a part of a crowd in another scene and otherwise spend 4 hours having donuts, pizza, and games with their friends and staying up past midnight, lol.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

They are so funny. You need to see Despicable Me. I loved that one the best.

I don't like funny movies.  Especially slapstick.  I've heard that they're good, but probably not a good fit for me.

I like to cry during movies. :)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Junie said:

I don't like funny movies.  Especially slapstick.  I've heard that they're good, but probably not a good fit for me.

I like to cry during movies. 🙂

Now see, we are opposites then. I hate crying movies with a passion. With the exception of Steel Magnolias. I cry every time I see that movie,  it I still love it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Hulk is my least favorite Avenger. My favorite is Ironman and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he's probably Junie's least favorite.🤣🤣

I don't know who my least favorite Avenger is.  Maybe Ant-Man.

I like the Hulk and Loki.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1