Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Saturday!!

Busy day today. We’re having DH’s family over for Easter tomorrow. Not as many as Thanksgiving. Tomorrow is only 16 of us. His brother and family is out of state welcoming their first grand-baby, so they won’t be with us. And Another brother and family are with their in-laws.  But, it will be nice. I need to bake bread, make some lemon bars, make potato salad. 

It’s a Booya/h!! 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I learned how to use the cordless drill that my dad bought last fall and used it to get the dishwasher out.  Then with the help of YouTube, I was able to get the floater pad out of the dishwasher (as unofficially recommended by our appliance repair guy as a way to keep our sanity). Hopefully that will keep the dishwasher running for more than two cycles before throwing a hissy fit and shutting down.

Other than that I have been On Call Kitchen Helper for dd13 as she works on her Raddish Kids meal - confetti cake this morning, then home made pizza and veggie dip later tonight.  And Easter Crown Bread somewhere in between.  I just need to put together the apple sweet potato bake for tomorrow as soon as my new apple peeler-slicer gets here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I have the TM for the new version which is not the ducks. I wish the new version had the ducks, but the math itself seems more up to speed with how other programs are set up and taught, particularly with teaching numbers 1-100 rather than 0-99.

🎵 Sometimes you feel like a duck--

Sometimes you don't-- 🎵

Much thing-doing today!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Great, now Slachie, Jean, and Green Bean have me wondering if I'm buying the right R&S version of math. I have the TM for the new version which is not the ducks. I wish the new version had the ducks, but the math itself seems more up to speed with how other programs are set up and taught, particularly with teaching numbers 1-100 rather than 0-99. There is a page on the Milestones website that explains the difference between the two editions that I found very helpful. And now you all have me second guessing myself.

Don’t read too much into my R & S advice. She really seemed to like the ducks so I recommended that she get the ducks. I never even used R & S. We used Singapore and a mix of other things. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The ducks were used in the old version of R&S Math Gr. 1 to introduce counting and fact families 1-10. They are a visual like base ten blocks. You used feathers falling out for less than numbers and eggs hatching for greater numbers-- stuff like that. I loved them because I was coming from Waldorf which uses stories to teach early concepts. I just carried over doing the same. Then we hit Grade 2 and died on the hill of R&S.

I decided to wait to go to THS because I decided I am not storing all this MP stuff for 4 years so I have a lot to sell and kids are going to finish some more things next week so I don't want to make another trip then.

***EDPO OVER***

I really should go shopping so we can have fajitas tonight. I just don;t feel like leaving my nice cool house. It is sunny-ish and muggy outside-- typical Houston.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Great, now Slachie, Jean, and Green Bean have me wondering if I'm buying the right R&S version of math. I have the TM for the new version which is not the ducks. I wish the new version had the ducks, but the math itself seems more up to speed with how other programs are set up and taught, particularly with teaching numbers 1-100 rather than 0-99. There is a page on the Milestones website that explains the difference between the two editions that I found very helpful. And now you all have me second guessing myself.

Buy a used copy of the ducks version to have on hand to pull from, maybe? Really, what you have is excellent. No need to change it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I really love the way my language arts plans are turning out. I did not like the subject as a child and I'm jealous that my kids are getting the opportunity to do so many fun things. And not just language arts, but a bunch of stuff. They're excited about multiple school subjects every day. They have it so much better than I did. They had better appreciate it when I'm old.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 73349 said:

I did some of the things. Coffee with friends out on the screened porch in an hour.

Y'all should bring your own camp chairs--I don't have that many.

It will take me a little more than hour...

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

On my way!!! 

I'll get there first, but you can have my coffee. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Buy a used copy of the ducks version to have on hand to pull from, maybe? Really, what you have is excellent. No need to change it out.

I literally only have the TM but it's the new edition and I haven't really sat down and looked through it yet other than a quick glance here and there. I just keep seeing all these posts about the ducks and wondering what I'm missing out on and if it's really that much more fun and should I reconsider it? 🤣

• Like 2

Hello,

We're at my mom's waiting for dd and Easter dinner.   

We went to IHOP for breakfast (younger dd's request) and our local one was closed so we had to drive 15 minutes to a different one.  They no longer have the banana nut waffles I wanted so I had strawberry banana pancakes.  

Then dropped dd off at the science center (ds was already there, he doesn't eat IHOP and was tired so went back to sleep), then to Home Depot for a bunch of dirt, then BJs for a bunch of stuff, the most important of which I forgot so I had to run back in (I remembered right after we paid), then filled planter bags at the science center, had pizza for lunch, did a little bit of work and left for mom's.

Tomorrow I have to go to AFSA (wait, are they open Easter?) and I HAVE to, must MUST MUST finish organizing my upstairs space.   And work on classes for the week.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Green Bean said:

The ducks were used in the old version of R&S Math Gr. 1 to introduce counting and fact families 1-10. They are a visual like base ten blocks. You used feathers falling out for less than numbers and eggs hatching for greater numbers-- stuff like that. I loved them because I was coming from Waldorf which uses stories to teach early concepts. I just carried over doing the same. Then we hit Grade 2 and died on the hill of R&S.

I decided to wait to go to THS because I decided I am not storing all this MP stuff for 4 years so I have a lot to sell and kids are going to finish some more things next week so I don't want to make another trip then.

***EDPO OVER***

I really should go shopping so we can have fajitas tonight. I just don;t feel like leaving my nice cool house. It is sunny-ish and muggy outside-- typical Houston.

Sounds cute! I was using Math Lessons for a Living Education, and really liked the Place Value Village. I still sometimes refer to the "houses" the numbers reside in. Gymnast also liked that it was a continuing story. We stopped around the end of 2 because I felt it was going to slow. She was using Singapore alongside it.

What's THS? I'm assuming MP is Memoria press?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Renai said:

I have no idea what we are eating tonight. I also don't know what we're eating tomorrow, other than the deviled eggs that Gymnast is making. I should probably get around to thinking about both topics...

*Jesus eggs

Because easter.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Renai said:

Sounds cute! I was using Math Lessons for a Living Education, and really liked the Place Value Village. I still sometimes refer to the "houses" the numbers reside in. Gymnast also liked that it was a continuing story. We stopped around the end of 2 because I felt it was going to slow. She was using Singapore alongside it.

What's THS? I'm assuming MP is Memoria press?

THS= The Homeschool Store- that is it’s actual name.

MP= Memoria Press

• Like 3

Good Morning, Happy Easter.

We did our Easter dinner last night so today is a work day.  

So the guys who have been working on our house evidently cleaned the bathroom.  It was pretty bad after being away a lot for funerals, etc. and super busy when home plus disruptions.  I felt kind of weird about it but dh pointed out that they've been cleaning paint brushes and equipment in there, and using a compressor so they contributed quite a bit of dust to the problem.   

Honestly, they cleaned it better than it's been cleaned in a long time.  😬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The other half of us are supposed to go to an Easter block party in a few, but I don’t want to. I’m not a people person being the introvert I am, and I am very private so don’t want to share. Dh is all extrovert and why not share our entire life story with people?? Scotsmen are pretty much all that way. I will survive.

• Like 2

We got baked even with a bunch of fans and tarp covers, but it was nice. I was so good- I stayed away from all the sugar!

Turns out my house has quite the backstory. Seems the previous people had an FBI raid here! The guy we bought from was ex-Marine so now I wonder what is was all about.

I hope everyone had a blessed and uplifting Easter Sunday as we all celebrated the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. May we all abide in His love and grace always.

❤️❤️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Green Bean said:

The other half of us are supposed to go to an Easter block party in a few, but I don’t want to. I’m not a people person being the introvert I am, and I am very private so don’t want to share. Dh is all extrovert and why not share our entire life story with people?? Scotsmen are pretty much all that way. I will survive.

You had to be there to rein him in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Yeah- never possible. My daughter is the same. I was, too, until middle school bullies… We all have a story, don’t we?

They called me Godzilla because I was tall. They'd do the Godzilla walk are rawr at me in the hallway. My worst bullies were in high school though. Geesh.

• Sad 3

All of my Facebook friends uploaded lovely photos of their family standing in front of the church or in their yard with the caption "Happy Easter", but the girl I'm closest to uploaded a pic of her toddler in nothing but a diaper, church shoes and pacifier, running across the lawn while her dad chased her down waving a little pink dress in the air like a flag with the caption ♥️Happy Easter, from my family to yours♥️

I know my people when I see them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

On 4/16/2022 at 3:59 PM, Servant4Christ said:

I literally only have the TM but it's the new edition and I haven't really sat down and looked through it yet other than a quick glance here and there. I just keep seeing all these posts about the ducks and wondering what I'm missing out on and if it's really that much more fun and should I reconsider it? 🤣

I used the duckies when they were brand new, close to 20 years ago. That rewrite was such an improvement over the first edition of the first grade math that the publishers could have used anything, toothpicks, anteaters, anything, and I would have loved it, lol. I haven't reviewed it since they did the second rewrite, so I just can't comment on that particular thing. I just know that R&S's primary math series is my favorite, duckies or not, and I know this even though I haven't seen the rewrite. I just trust those people.

ETA: It isn't the duckies that makes or breaks the instruction. It's the instruction itself.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Morning, Happy Monday.

I had to get fasting blood work so I made my appointment for first thing this morning and I'm home finishing up my breakfast already.    It was a full workup so should see if there are any issues there.   I've been mildly worried about pre-diabetes and cholesterol.  

Two and a half classes today so shouldn't be too bad.  Then gym (ugh but have to do it).  I have to head in a little bit early because I got a ton of work done yesterday but left the main classroom a bit of a mess and need to clean it up before classes start at 10am.  

I have a ton of stuff to print so of course ran out of toner yesterday and with the house a mess, I can't find our replacement.  I'm almost positive we have one but I had to order a new one anyway. 

Our bedroom should be getting done this week (it's small, should be quick) then we can put our living room back together until May when our new kitchen cabinets come in.

• Like 4