Menu

Ignore this thread!

23 minutes ago, Slache said:

Science in The Atomic Age also looks good, but not a good chemistry focus. It's a solid general science. The table of contents is downloadable.

https://bereanbuilders.com/ecomm/product/science-in-the-atomic-age/

Science Booya!

Yep, I've looked at all the science at Berean Builders for so long because I think that's where we are headed for high school if not sooner.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

Yep, I've looked at all the science at Berean Builders for so long because I think that's where we are headed for high school if not sooner.

My kids are too spaced out. We did all of apologia k-6, so we're switching to BB. Elder 2 will do independent science on the side eventually.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I think Oldest just doesn't have a realistic idea of what chemistry is. He has grand ideas of test tubes, beakers, mixtures, chemicals, and immediate spectacular reactions. 

Yes, we have that here. I did buy them science kits from amazon for Christmas. They're just experiments with test tubes and explosions and things. Huge hit.

• Like 3

Watch MythBusters. Explosions galore and good science. Some slight language so preview.

Dinner date was fun. Chili's is our favorite place. Church Easter breakfast tomorrow early. Little man is eager to go hunt some eggs down. 

I'm just boring, y'all.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 6

Good morning!

I am contemplating tasks for the day.  The Two Youngest want to help their friend with an Eagle project this afternoon.  I need label a couple boxes and have the boys help get them into the attic.  And I wanted to try making GreenBean's biscuits again today.  And get started on dd19's taxes.  And order a dress for dd15. But first...

Coffee!

• Like 4

Morning, Happy Saturday.  I slept in a little bit today, until almost 10am.

This weekend, I get to dust ds's new floor, dust his furniture so it can go back in his room, then if dh oils the new living room walls, maybe put stuff back into the living room.  I want to do it slowly, carefully while going through things to possibly get rid of some stuff and have what is kept nicely organized.  That's the dream.  

I don't have any prep for classes for next week but do want to spend some time getting things planned out for the remainder of the year, so I can then do plans for the summer.  

One of these days, things are going to be all planned out and I'll have actual free time when I'm not teaching or doing business paperwork. 

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D (is not ready yet, because for some reason, with all the fiddling around I was doing with it last night, I didn’t get set to go on)

I slept till 8:00 this morning.  I am not sure what I have planned for the day. I need to go to Target and serf they have anything resembling an appropriate swim suit for the girls. We are going to the beach on Thursday. So, that will probably happen today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I put down cardboard and did three wheelbarrows - which is the amount that covered it.  In order to continue down that direction of the planting strip, I really need to finish pruning the very last hydrangea bush.  Maybe I can get out for more hydrangea haircuts later today.  But we'll see.  It is supposed to rain all afternoon and tomorrow.    I might get out there in about a half hour though if my body recovers enough. . .     Stay tuned for whether Xena or her Couch potato alter ego wins out. . . .

• Like 4

***EdPo***

I have fallen into a big black hole I may never return from known as reading curriculum. I'm getting a literal headache from the massive amount of options. There are so many very interesting options, but figuring out what will work for Oldest and streamlining it into what will actually get done is just Svengo. That is the only word/feeling I can come up with.

I really just need to decide if I want to buy a reading curriculum (R&S most likely because I know he'll enjoy the stories and interaction of discussing his answers to the workbook exercises orally) or buy separate components to cover areas beyond just reading the literature books and answering the comprehension questions that go with Notgrass.

I've looked at Figuratively Speaking and the couple sample pages I found show questions about books he's never read. (Cinderella and The Little Mermaid)

Other options are:

Reading Detective/ Critical Thinking Detective

Forms and Elements of Literature by TCR

Story Elements/ Figurative Language by Stark

I'm sure there's more but my head is swimming. Help!

***Once I figure it out, I'll stop EdPo'ing, I promise. It's just that time of year and I ramble here to get my thoughts in order.***

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

***EdPo***

I have fallen into a big black hole I may never return from known as reading curriculum. I'm getting a literal headache from the massive amount of options. There are so many very interesting options, but figuring out what will work for Oldest and streamlining it into what will actually get done is just Svengo. That is the only word/feeling I can come up with.

I really just have to decide if I want to just buy a reading curriculum (R&S most likely because I know he'll enjoy the stories and interaction of discussing his answers to the workbook exercises orally) or do I want to buy separate components to cover areas beyond just reading the books that go with Notgrass. I've looked at Figuratively Speaking and the couple sample pages I found show questions about books he's never read.  (Cinderella and The Little Mermaid) Other options are Reading Detective/ Critical Thinking Detective, Forms and Elements of Literature by TCR, Story Elements/ Figurative Language by Stark. I'm sure there's more but my head is swimming. Help!

***Once I figure it out, I'll stop EdPo'ing, I promise. It's just that time of year and I ramble here to get my thoughts in order.***

I would write down each one that you like with a list of pros and cons. Put the list away for two weeks and then come back to it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Xena won. I did a half hour of hydrangea clean up. This needed to be done before tackling the last big bush but will allow for two more days of barking. (As in putting down bark- I am not joining Juliet in chasing off Axe Murderers). Now I can couch potato in peace. Or at least switch my attention to the overflowing laundry baskets. Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode of "As the Hydrangea Turns". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Servie-  I wish that someone had told me that curriculum doesn’t matter as much as my angst thought that it did. Steady work in almost every curriculum will teach the necessary skills. No one will read every single “necessary “ book and (hopefully) our kids will have the tools and desire to have a lifetime of learning. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

52 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Servie-  I wish that someone had told me that curriculum doesn’t matter as much as my angst thought that it did. Steady work in almost every curriculum will teach the necessary skills. No one will read every single “necessary “ book and (hopefully) our kids will have the tools and desire to have a lifetime of learning. 

Amen!!

Although I do love looking through curriculum. With my job, I don’t have the luxury of homeschooling like I want to, which is why we’re ending a couple years early. 

Servie, not to throw something new in to confuse you, but I have used Novel Ties study guides for several years now and have loved them for reading.  We have read and discussed a lot of really good Children’s literature with that curriculum.

• Like 5

I been doing the Things.

Took Little Man to the church Easter breakfast where he didn't eat a thing. He had fun finding the eggs, though.

Been to The Home Depot for repair stuff and AC filters.

Drove DH dirt ball car through a car wash. The daily commute just turns that car to mud.

Purchased real allergy pills at Costco at 10:30 and 16 Boy STILL hasn't taken one! He is finishing up a Tom Clancy novel so can't be bothered.

During quiet time, I purused houses in Scotland.

DH is taking apart the kids' sink drain upstairs to finally clean it out after dealing with a slow drain for a year. Drano didn't help- tried that twice.

I really should do some laundry, too.

What should we have for dinner? I'm drawing a blank.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Amen!!

Although I do love looking through curriculum. With my job, I don’t have the luxury of homeschooling like I want to, which is why we’re ending a couple years early. 

Servie, not to throw something new in to confuse you, but I have used Novel Ties study guides for several years now and have loved them for reading.  We have read and discussed a lot of really good Children’s literature with that curriculum.

Yes, I remember. I ordered a half dozen of them at the beginning of this school year. They look great except they only have an answer key for the simple black & white questions and nothing for the harder questions. Not even sample answers to give me a clue. Also, Oldest will do anything (seriously anything) to avoid workbooks. He'll even do MATH! 🤣

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Tonight is burgers and ice cream and Endgame.

In case you didn't know, I love living in Texas.

Us, too! Dh and I had salmon burgers, though. For some reason, cow burgers now make me 🤮.

But I’m over living in Houston. It’s nicer where you are.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Imma look up housing options in Scotland.  Because it sounds fun. 😁

It is! Check out the £12.000/mo. party mansion! Put in Dunfermline, Fife rentals in rightmove.co.uk. It should come up. I have to say, the wallpaper and crazy carpet movement didn’t die in the 80’s there. I saw one today for sale that has tartan carpet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Us, too! Dh and I had salmon burgers, though. For some reason, cow burgers now make me 🤮.

But I’m over living in Houston. It’s nicer where you are.

I've never been to Houston but I lived in New Orleans and wound up hospitalized with heat stroke for simply existing. I was laying around because it was hot and almost died from doing nothing because it was hot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2