Menu

Ignore this thread!

EdPo: I need to share with people who will be excited, too. I went to my local homeschool store today and found all but the wkbk used for Level 1 of AAR! I really wanted to use it but the cost was choking me. I’m so grateful for this blessing so I can use materials for Little Man that I know he needs.

I also found a used set of R&S gr.1 wkshts and drills, but had to buy the TM and Wkbk 1 new. I’m stoked!

And I would love to lose 15 lbs.. Random question: if you were to give up either wheat or dairy, which would you choose and why? Sugar is a given.

It’s an EdPo Food Po Booya!

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

EdPo: I need to share with people who will be excited, too. I went to my local homeschool store today and found all but the wkbk used for Level 1 of AAR! I really wanted to use it but the cost was choking me. I’m so grateful for this blessing so I can use materials for Little Man that I know he needs.

I also found a used set of R&S gr.1 wkshts and drills, but had to buy the TM and Wkbk 1 new. I’m stoked!

And I would love to lose 15 lbs.. Random question: if you were to give up either wheat or dairy, which would you choose and why? Sugar is a given.

Wheat because I feel it is the most unhealthy. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I already don’t eat wheat or any gluten but I have non-celiac gluten sensitivity. And I only eat goat cheese, no cow dairy. That’s cuz the inside of my ears itch. But I don’t think that it’s making a difference. 

• Like 5

The kids and I are staying at a local hotel tonight.   The guys worked on dd's room tonight and left things in such a way we can't put things back into her room.  Not putting things back in her room means we can't get her bed set up, which means we can't get to ds's bed or our bed.    I had points for a Wyndham hotel so we're staying "free" tonight.  It's not a very nice hotel.  In fact, my aunt used to work at this hotel 40 years ago and I used to swim in the pool with my cousins.  So, it's definitely old.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I lost 12 lbs when dh was in the hospital.  I thought it was Covid until I started taking anti-anxiety medicine and started being able to eat again.  Then I gained 30 lbs.  Since late January I've lost 12 and am working towards losing 8-10 more.

Next week I am planning to get a family membership to the local rec center which has an indoor pool.  The two youngest and I need to work on our swimming.  Also with that I can use the exercise center that's next to the library after 3:00 (until I turn 55 and then I can use it any time of day).  They have a rowing machine that I want to try out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I have about 25 to 30 to lose. I'm not really sure because our scale is somewhere in a storage room.

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

She has a mind like a steel trap, I tell ya!

Not anymore. Perimenopause has it more like a sieve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

We are back!! Wonderful day at the beach. Of course, it was not exactly beach weather….. sunny, but cold and windy. So we drove up the coast and walked up and down the streets and shops of Morro Bay and then drove upper the coast to Cambria and had a late lunch and walked along the boardwalk along Moonstone Beach.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Morning Happy Friday.  Slept like crap.  The hotel was NOT a quiet place.  And sharing a double bed with dd was not fun either.  I'm sore and stiff and achy and tired.   We drove through Panera for some breakfast (and caffeine!!) and now we're already at the science center.  

And I get to teach two classes today.  One is easy, its a multi-age makeup class and I'm just pulling out Magnatiles and Knex and letting them build (in our small classroom so I don't have to clean up in a hurry).  Second class we're doing a frog dissection which is actually also pretty easy since I have to talk a lot but they won't need much actual hands-on assistance.  

Then I should work on my upstairs storage space but I may do quieter work, like planning classes.  I'm tired.  

Tomorrow we need to get up early again (unless they finish dd's room today which might have been the goal of leaving things in such a disheveled spot).  We told dd we'd take her to IHOP for breakfast, then need to go to the Depot of Homes for dirt for planters bags we're putting outside, then at some point I need to go to BJ's and probably AFSA, then we head to my mom's for Easter dinner.  

Sunday I will SLEEEEEPPPPPPPP.  Then probably come here and work on organizing the upstairs storage space.  I need to finally finish that one of these days.  

My next week off isn't until Memorial Day.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Random question: if you were to give up either wheat or dairy, which would you choose and why? Sugar is a given.

Dairy--but I didn't get to pick, so it's wheat. 😕  (Dairy is more expensive and for most people, whole wheat is healthier than dairy.)

I'm trying to bribe myself into an exercise habit. It's working so far--the trick is, I have to have *consecutive* days to reach my prizes, so if I miss a day, I'll have to go back to the beginning. I have 4 days in a row so far. I will have to see how long I can keep it going. Update: 5 days. I'm double-dipping by letting 20+ minutes of yard work count as my exercise for the day.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 73349 said:

... for most people, whole wheat is healthier than dairy.

I disagree with this because of the way we have altered our wheat in this country over the last 50 years. My main argument is our hormonal response to gluten, whether you have a gluten intolerance or not. This is just my opinion, I'm not arguing that you're wrong.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I disagree with this because of the way we have altered our wheat in this country over the last 50 years. My main argument is our hormonal response to gluten, whether you have a gluten intolerance or not. This is just my opinion, I'm not arguing that you're wrong.

In my diet plan we can have 100% whole wheat, but I don't really like the texture of it, so I get sprouted bread which I like pretty well in small doses, which are all I get anyway, lol.  I agree about the wheat, though.

• Like 3

Good morning!  A blessed Good Friday to you all.

I drove dd19 to work so I could take the car to get an oil change.  As recommended by the dealership, I had them check the cabin air filter to see if it needed to be replaced and lo and behold there wasn't a filter in there. 🤔 So I got one of those.

Then got home and started working on food.  Made the creamy horseradish sauce and dressing for the strawberry spinach salad and cooked a couple batches of eggs in the IP and helped dd13 with Easter crown bread dough and washed a bunch of dishes.  The dishwasher needs some tweaking before we can use it again but I have to pull it out to do that.  Maybe tomorrow.  

This afternoon I have to take dd19 to the lab to get her bloodwork done again and we have Good Friday service tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Those are beautiful! 

The movie wasn’t too bad. Very watchable but you need to remember the first one a bit for parts to make sense.

IStore and home to research math more. I’m down to Math Mammoth, Dimensions, and TGTB. I’m hesitant to trust that last as it’s so new. I’m going to compare scopes.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Those are beautiful! 

The movie wasn’t too bad. Very watchable but you need to remember the first one a bit for parts to make sense.

IStore and home to research math more. I’m down to Math Mammoth, Dimensions, and TGTB. I’m hesitant to trust that last as it’s so new. I’m going to compare scopes.

What grade?

• Like 2

Who has the Cranky Pantz?  I need them, STAT!  With chocolate dispensing pockets, please.

Since Quest Diagnostics messed up dd19's blood they gave us an appointment to get it done again.  Special Flagged Appointment! No waiting!  In and out, super quick!  We left after sitting there an hour.  I would rather pay out of pocket for the labs to be done at the doctor's office than ever go back there again.  

So we're back and I got the key lime pies baked.  And just realized that since a bunch of people have been invited over to my house on Tuesday for dinner, I am going to have to come up with a Large Meal for 20 people including birthday pies.  🙄

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

What grade?

More EdPo musings: I am so sorry!

1st to whatever. I have Saxon 54-87 and eventually will have through high school books because older kids. So I guess in reality I need something to hold us through until he is ready for Saxon? I don't do discovery stuff, ie C-rods. In truth, Saxon drives me batty, but it works for the kids.

I crossed off Dimensions. Stuff written for a classroom just does not last long here. The lessons are too long.

I crossed off MM, too. I just don't like it. Pages are crammed, not enough helps for me to teach.

Y'all ever had that where you just flat don't like something but cannot articulate why?

TGTB and Math With Confidence are what I am looking at now. Or I could order the old Ducks version of R&S?

Honestly, this should not be that hard with the many years I have been at this and the many, many, many, math programs I have used.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

1st to whatever. I have Saxon 54-87 and eventually will have through high school books because older kids. So I guess in reality I need something to hold us through until he is ready for Saxon? I don't do discovery stuff, ie C-rods. In truth, Saxon drives me batty, but it works for the kids.

I crossed off Dimensions. Stuff written for a classroom just does not last long here. The lessons are too long.

I crossed off MM, too. I just don't like it. Pages are crammed, not enough helps for me to teach.

Y'all ever had that where you just flat don't like something but cannot articulate why?

TGTB and Math With Confidence are what I am looking at now. Or I could order the old Ducks version of R&S?

Honestly, this should not be that hard with the many years I have been at this and the many, many, many, math programs I have used.

Order the old ducks version. Math hasn’t changed. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Ray's arithmetic. Unless you can get the ducks, then go with the ducks. I used Ray's before Saxon and it was fine.

• Like 4

Yeah, I should check out Ray's. And order the ducks or TGTB or all 3 to try!

UPDATE: I bought TGTB Math and downloaded a free copy of Ray’s to mix in. We shall see how this plays out.

MOVING ON--- who wants some chocolate chip cookies? I have a huge one left from dinner last night.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just got back from the Good Friday service - it's always so beautiful but tonight was particularly hard because dh was always the one who tolled the bell at the end using our harbor bell chime.  One of the college students did it this year and I was really grateful for that.  I sobbed most of the way home.  Now imma eat some popcorn and watch mindless TV until I fall asleep.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

I think I may have arthritis in my hip, which is really dumb. Heavily considering Grammar of Poetry for the boy next year. My hair is really long again after losing so much of it a few years ago. I really like it.

I was so excited to get into the fun middle school curriculum, but I'm too tired to teach it. I wanted to do My Father's World under a willow tree while birds sang to us and fairies braided our hair. Such grand plans. I have a combination of DVD based and independent work with me actually teaching very little.

John and I watched The Order of the Phoenix tonight after finishing the book. They really ruined the story with those movies. Did you know that in the book Bellatrix used "stupify" but in the movie she used "avada cadavara"? I think she didn't want to do what she did, and they took that from the character. The Centaurs are barely present, Moody has no relationship with Harry and Dobby wasn't even in the film. Gwarp was completely different and Neville not only made no progress, but the movie completely ignored that he was using his father's wand, and it wasn't until he got his new wand that he improved. Also, the twins are harmless pranksters, as opposed to total psychopaths that brutally murdered their sister's pet and permanently crippled a fellow student because they didn't want points deducted.

Well. That was quite a rant. This rant brought to you by Weasleys Wizard Wheezes. Discount for any Hogwarts students who swears to use their products to eliminate Umbridge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I lost my balance and fell on the floor.   Juliet was wagging her tail in delight that I chose to join her on the floor. 

#definitelynotaservicedog

#I'mfine

Silly puppy!  Was she at least felpful enough to lick your face? 😂

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Good morning!

It's Saturday!  Time to walk the Pup and pull out the dishwasher.  Dd13 is doing her Raddish Kids meal today, so I'd really like to be able to run the dishwasher.  Puppy is outside my door polite growling to get my attention so I'd prolly better get up.

Coffee!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

I don't want to do anything.

I know the feeling.

Morning! I slept funny and pulled my neck out. Today I get to drive to The Homeschool Store again which is fun. Then plan school for next week.

Shopping, laundry, cleaning are also on the docket. 

• Like 3

Great, now Slachie, Jean, and Green Bean have me wondering if I'm buying the right R&S version of math. I have the TM for the new version which is not the ducks. I wish the new version had the ducks, but the math itself seems more up to speed with how other programs are set up and taught, particularly with teaching numbers 1-100 rather than 0-99. There is a page on the Milestones website that explains the difference between the two editions that I found very helpful. And now you all have me second guessing myself.

• Like 3