Menu

Ignore this thread!

We used to test every year or so.  Not at all required here in NJ but I liked to check every so often.  I haven't tested in over 5 years now but ds did very well on his accuplacer for community college so the lack doesn't seem to have hurt him any.

Dd gets very anxious at anything resembling a test.  Not sure how that will go when the time comes for college. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Right?! But, it checks the box and it's not timed! 

TX doesn’t require it but DH asked me to that year. Total waste of time/money, if you ask me. I have wanted to test since then, but my kids don’t fit into a grade level so I’m not sure how that would work.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 2

A round of applause, please:

ASD SON FINISHED SAXON MATH 54 TODAY!!! 

He’s been diligently working on it since 2 August 2021. He did every lesson and test without copying a single thing from the answer key!

I bought him the last Wings of Fire book he didn’t have and McD’s as a reward.

Monday he starts Saxon 65 with, I hope, just as much success!

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Edpo. The boy has decided to pick Japanese back up in a year and a half after formal Spanish studies have ceased. I am in planning mode. The girl will probably be doing it, too. That's 7th and 5th. Gulp.

He wanted to in maybe 1st grade. He learned a lot over the 4 or so years he studied, but I was not in a position to teach it and he was not old enough to self teach AN ASIAN LANGUAGE. I think we can do it this time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday!   Today is my one class and done day.   I bought some hanging stuff to try and better organize my cart at work.  I keep loading it up too much and not being able to find things.   Need to do better than that.

This afternoon I need to either struggle with the washing machine quirks and do some laundry, or work more at the science center, maybe finally finishing the upstairs.   Whatever I don't do today, I'll do tomorrow.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

2:28 am and I still haven’t gotten to sleep. I am hoping that pain meds will actually kick in to allow sleep. Juliet is giving me the side eye because I am keeping her awake with my tossing and turning. 

Dude, I was up until 330. What the heck?

• Sad 5

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

We finished testing today, so it's a day off for everyone except dd17. 

She's a senior this year and doesn't need to do testing because

a) she took the SAT in the fall and that counts as a standardized test and

b) the worst that could happen is that I would not be allowed to homeschool her next year 😉

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning.  I have this pipe dream of having everything nice and tidy and in it's place in this house.  Hasn't happened in almost 25 years but this pipe dream is a stubborn one. 

I have that same dream!

16 hours ago, Junie said:

We have always used the Stanford, which is also not timed.

It's not going to be available anymore, according to BJU. Something about some systems changing, and not being able to buy it anymore...

8 hours ago, Slache said:

Edpo. The boy has decided to pick Japanese back up in a year and a half after formal Spanish studies have ceased. I am in planning mode. The girl will probably be doing it, too. That's 7th and 5th. Gulp.

He wanted to in maybe 1st grade. He learned a lot over the 4 or so years he studied, but I was not in a position to teach it and he was not old enough to self teach AN ASIAN LANGUAGE. I think we can do it this time.

Just have  him keep up with what he knows in Japanese with the Anki so he's not practically starting over later. I think I've said this before...

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Dude, I was up until 330. What the heck?

Don't know, but that's been me the past three nights. Although, I did get to bed at 1am this morning instead of 2.

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ooo, I'll look it up. Thanks Junie!

See above. You might not be able to use it. The Iowa is still available, but it's timed. They are good with allowing accommodations (like extra time) though.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Renai said:

It's not going to be available anymore, according to BJU. Something about some systems changing, and not being able to buy it anymore...

I know.  😞  So I've got a year to figure it out.

I *think* that they might offer the Stanford as an online test -- so not as much fun as the bubble tests, but maybe?

So, anyway, it's a research project...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Junie said:

I know.  😞  So I've got a year to figure it out.

I *think* that they might offer the Stanford as an online test -- so not as much fun as the bubble tests, but maybe?

So, anyway, it's a research project...

Yes, I think it'll be online, but then, it'll be timed, and in a group. I like Stanford because it wasn't timed...

• Like 3

I have had a horrendous time the past 2 weeks dealing with what can only be my MIL accessing all of my stuff online. I wasn't sure how she was doing it but I found out today the security questions and backup email to my Gmail have all been changed, and if she's using my email she can get to just about anything. Mostly what I've noticed is my Facebook, which I have temporarily deactivated, and my phone plan, which lists all of our text messages on the website. So any text message, Facebook message and email she had access to. I have had to change my security questions and passwords on everything. There's a list if saved passwords in your Google security thingy. Matt has, too. We've had hard inquiries on our credit I have to have dealt with. We haven't talked to her in a year and a half. She sent hourly texts, then daily, then weekly, then monthly. She claims FIL is dying and can't talk on the phone, then he calls a few weeks later all hunky dory. She's stopped texting, so I guess this is the new thing. I'm so tired of all of her crap. And this is obsessive. We now get notified on our phones if anyone signs into our email. We are considering freezing our credit. She hasn't actually done anything. My only proof is the constantly changing passwords.

• Sad 9

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

(((Slache)))

I'm going to be a mother-in-law soon.  I can't imagine treating my family like this. 😞

I'm not special, she's like this with every girl. I was so sad when I met her and 2 of her daughters in law didn't talk to her and she had never met 2 of her grand kids. I was so dumb. Now she has 17 grandchildren and sees exactly 1. The adopted boy Matt's age moved away with no forwarding address and a new phone number. She is that bad.

This is a horrible thing to think, but I can't wait for her to be dead. She is just exhausting and has been the single most stressful thing in our marriage.

• Sad 5

Years ago I wanted to get John involved in an online learning game for Kanji, the complex Japanese writing system, but it was for adults and not clean. It's become increasingly popular among children and they've cleaned it up. It tackles a lot of the really hard stuff in game form. I'm excited about this. 2,000 Kanji and 6,000 vocabulary. An excellent head start.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I have had a horrendous time the past 2 weeks dealing with what can only be my MIL accessing all of my stuff online. I wasn't sure how she was doing it but I found out today the security questions and backup email to my Gmail have all been changed, and if she's using my email she can get to just about anything. Mostly what I've noticed is my Facebook, which I have temporarily deactivated, and my phone plan, which lists all of our text messages on the website. So any text message, Facebook message and email she had access to. I have had to change my security questions and passwords on everything. There's a list if saved passwords in your Google security thingy. Matt has, too. We've had hard inquiries on our credit I have to have dealt with. We haven't talked to her in a year and a half. She sent hourly texts, then daily, then weekly, then monthly. She claims FIL is dying and can't talk on the phone, then he calls a few weeks later all hunky dory. She's stopped texting, so I guess this is the new thing. I'm so tired of all of her crap. And this is obsessive. We now get notified on our phones if anyone signs into our email. We are considering freezing our credit. She hasn't actually done anything. My only proof is the constantly changing passwords.

File a police report.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Years ago I wanted to get John involved in an online learning game for Kanji, the complex Japanese writing system, but it was for adults and not clean. It's become increasingly popular among children and they've cleaned it up. It tackles a lot of the really hard stuff in game form. I'm excited about this. 2,000 Kanji and 6,000 vocabulary. An excellent head start.

What is it?

• Thanks 2

We are back from the rec center pool and my arms are all noodley.  I feel like I've had a session with the Xena Wrangler!

As I was swimming I remembered that my biggest difficulty swimming (aside from noodley arms) is that I have a hard time breathing out under water.  I'll need to work on that.  I also need to work on hoisting myself out of the pool without pushing up from the floor.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Broke down pruned branches from the hydrangea bush and filled the yard waste bin. Plus added the downed branches from our Western Hemlock tree. It’s always been a “sad Charlie Brown tree “ but it is dying at a higher rate. I might have to have it taken down. 

Jean, you have inspired me to learn how to prune the overgrown "evergreen of some sort" (juniper?) that is at the corner of our house.  It's awful.  Hopefully I can work at it a little at a time.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

DH let Middle color in his brand new R&S ABC and GHI series workbooks without realizing that is Pre-K & kindergarten curriculum, not coloring books. 🤦

It's ok. It'll still work colored in. 🙂

• Thanks 2