Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning. Thanks for reminding me I need to get the Christmas stuff out. We've decided we will try a tree this year, if for nothing else than the fun of trying to keep an energetic young cat from swinging from the branches. 

I'm still tired from yesterday, but revisions await, and some cooking. My turtles are all grown up today.

ETA: It's a totally turtles Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday After Thanksgiving!!

I still have some housework to do, cleaning up after yesterday.  Had a very good day yesterday. Minimal leftovers, my charcuterie board was a success, everyone seemed to have a good time and the Raiders won in OT.

Against the Cowboys -- so it's like a double win! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

We slept in and had pie for breakfast.  Now we are putting up decorations.  The lights for the Christmas tree don't work, but dd23 convinced everyone to put up the ornaments now and deal with lights later.  We will probably regret this, lol.  We haven't found all the boxes of things but Ds26 and ds17 have been rummaging up in the attic.  They found the long lost Christmas Train.  I suspect that dh purposely did not find that every year, lol.

Currently listening to a Christmas compilation CD that dh made in maybe 1992.

Coffee!

• Like 7

Morning.  Happy Day After Thanksgiving.

The HVAC company came to service our heat/ac system so I had to get up early.  Which stunk because I slept poorly last night.  Back pain (again, ugh) and heartburn (too much food, no surprise).    So the rest of today I'm relaxing and taking it easy.  I ran by the science center, fed the animals, did some dishes, put a few things away, and that was enough. 

I MAY, if I have the energy, do some work on classes at some point today.  Or I may not.  

• Like 7

Pie for breakfast! Pie for lunch!  Pie all day!    

It's so cold outside!  We are partially decorated.  We found a large jumble of Christmas lights that may or may not be working.  The kids tried to set up the train around the Christmas tree but unfortunately we don't live in a 5000 sq. ft. house with a giant room that will accommodate that kind of setup.  

We went to the memorial gardens to see the new grave marker that was installed and add some Christmas floral things to the flower arrangement.  Then we went to the Christmas tree stand where we usually buy my front porch tree.  It was very expensive.  Then I took dd15 to PetCo for their aquarium sale, but they were out of the size she wanted so we ended up buying it online.  

Meanwhile my two oldest went to Target to buy string lights for inside and outside but didn't realize they'd gotten blinking lights.  They'll return them and get non-blinking ones.  

Tomorrow is a big day.  My new-to-me car is coming from Carvana.  I'm very nervous.  What if it's terrible?  They have a 7-day return policy, at least.  I have an appointment next week to get it checked out by a local Honda dealership.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Slache said:

Happy Black Friday! Time to decorate!

I did not go to the storage rooms to get the tree or decorations. The roll of outside lights are here, though.

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

This is officially the first Christmas song we have listened to for the season. I like it.

7 hours ago, Slache said:

I accidentally napped. Now we decorate!

Me too. But, I did not decorate.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Meanwhile my two oldest went to Target to buy string lights for inside and outside but didn't realize they'd gotten blinking lights.  They'll return them and get non-blinking ones.  

They don't do the change-the-bulb-to-stop-blinking thing anymore? We're going to have to have to buy more lights for a couple of trees outside. The landlord here approves.

• Like 3

Morning.  Happy Saturday (right?  It is Saturday?)

We've done a bunch of shopping and I think most of the Christmas shopping is done.  We're buying ourselves a new mattress, comforter, and a wood burning fireplace insert.  

Kids are getting money or a few small items they want.  The younger guys are tough because they pretty much get what they want throughout the year and there doesn't tend to be anything they want for the holidays.   And they are into really obscure fandoms that you can't just buy things for.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Slache said:

I just called poison control for the second time in a month. I have not called poison control for any other child.

#airwickisnotjuice

#someonegetthisbabyundercontrol

I remember calling poison control because I caught Dancer with a mouthful of Bengay. It smells like mint.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Good evening!

I was so busy this morning I forgot to post!  😭  I got dd18 to work (she drove ds26's car to practice driving) and when I got home I banished the goats and by then dd18's college friend was over using us as a practice audience for a speech he has to give in rhetoric class next week.  Then we played a game he made and is tweaking.  Then we ate lunch and I did some misc. stuff and then went to pick up dd18 from work and then had the new car delivered.  I test drove it with dd23 to the library to return some books and then came back to sign some papers and that was it.  I'm the proud owner of a 2013 Honda Fit.  Unless I find something wrong with it and return it next week.Had to pick up dd18 from writer's club which took almost 2-1/2 hours but I'm finally home and ready to scrounge up something to eat for dinner.

Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Camp board meeting today.  I woke up late, rushed around like a banshee (they rush around as well as scream), and drove the almost four hours like a bat out of hell.  So much so that I actually was early! 

Meeting was really good.  I really like these people.  They are good folk. 

Then my friend who just joined the board and I moved two car loads of camp stuff to her garage because we had to move out of our previous storage area.

Then I drove back home.  Alone.  In the rain.  Actually in an atmospheric river that left very little visibility as I hurdled down the freeway at breakneck speeds.  Now I am very tired and achy.  So I'm going to bed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Camp board meeting today.  I woke up late, rushed around like a banshee (they rush around as well as scream), and drove the almost four hours like a bat out of hell.  So much so that I actually was early! 

Meeting was really good.  I really like these people.  They are good folk. 

Then my friend who just joined the board and I moved two car loads of camp stuff to her garage because we had to move out of our previous storage area.

Then I drove back home.  Alone.  In the rain.  Actually in an atmospheric river that left very little visibility as I hurdled down the freeway at breakneck speeds.  Now I am very tired and achy.  So I'm going to bed. 

Don't do any of that ever again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Advent Scripture - for some reason there are no scripture readings for Saturdays.  The weeks start with Sunday. Week 4 might need additional or fewer scriptures depending on the number of days between the 4th Sunday and Christmas.

Week 1: John 1:1-4;  Gen 3:2-15; Gen 22:15-18; Is 7:14 & 9:2-7; Is 11:1-9; Micah 5:2-4

Week 2: John 1:5-13; Malachi 1:49-50; Joel 2:12-13; Is 40:1-11, Heb 10:1-10, Is 60:1-4

Week 3: John 1:14; Luke 1:5-17; Luke 1:26-38; Matt 1:18-25; Luke 1:39-56; Luke 1:57-66; 

Week 4: John 1:14-18; Luke 1:67-80; Micah 4:1-7, Psalm 98, Phil. 2:5-11, Titus 2:11-3:7, Christmas Eve Luke 2:1-20; Christmas Day John 1:1-18

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We don't have a tree. I usually spend three weeks trying to convince the tree-killers in the house that we'll be so much happier without one, and nobody agrees with me, except perhaps DH, who would probably be happy to never have to get Christmas decorations out of the attic again. Pair of grinches here. But the trees look lovely.

I think all I want for Christmas is a clean house. So I might devote myself to that cause as soon as the days of NaNo are ended.

• Like 6

Morning.

No tree here yet.  Putting up our tree requires major rearranging so we don't tend to do it too early.   This year it will mean taking down my desk, which means finding a place for all the stuff on my desk that will still allow me to find what I need when I need it.   I probably should have done that in the past 9 days I've been off.   Maybe next weekend.  

• Like 4

This week is going to be a busy one.   Today I'm just running by the science center for a little more straightening/putting things away, and working on classes sitting on my butt at home.

Tomorrow I teach 3 classes then I'm running ds to the CC for his placement testing.  I have no idea how long that's going to take, but I have to remember to make sure he eats something before we go.   

The rest of the week is normal until Friday when I'm taking the kids to DMV to get non-driver identification.  Originally we were getting it for ds's testing but they said they'll take a school id (which I made), but I think it's worth getting for the future anyway.  

• Like 5

It's not tree o'clock yet at our house.

I logged in for FB live church and FB offered to post Hanukkah stars for me. I declined. 😄 But Happy Hanukkah to anyone who is celebrating.

It's still not raining here.  We're 2" below normal for the month and almost 5" down for the year to date. At a certain point, day after day of blue skies in November just seems creepy. Not that I mind sunshine (and the cat is delighted), but at some point we're going to need moisture. If you have extra, feel free to send a bit. Snow is fine.

• Like 4

So, where did I put the handles that fell off a white cabinet at the science center?  I've hot glued them, super glued them, rescrewed them and they just keep falling off.  Dh had some gorilla glue to try but now we can't find the handles.   I have no idea what could have happened to them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

So, where did I put the handles that fell off a white cabinet at the science center?  I've hot glued them, super glued them, rescrewed them and they just keep falling off.  Dh had some gorilla glue to try but now we can't find the handles.   I have no idea what could have happened to them. 

Probably the wee mousies got them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Probably the wee mousies got them!

I'm sure you jest, but we did actually have a mouse at the science center one day.   One of the kids noticed it, then I ended up catching it and putting it outside.

The teacher that was teaching a Nature class at the time made it clear she didn't appreciate nature when it was scurrying around the classroom.

• Like 2