Menu

Ignore this thread!

There is so much excitement going on here today!  I will take root beer with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

I bought (ordered) a car through carvana.  They will deliver it a week from tomorrow.  I hope it is a good vehicle - carfax and dealer inspections all look good.  I can return it within 7 days - no questions asked.  

Dd12's chicken, "Fluffy", died.  Dd wants a full ceremonial burial.  So that will have to happen at some point today.

• Like 4

Dd12's hives are decreasing, though not as quickly as I expected.  The benadryl is helping, but makes her sleepy.

I had to call dd15 in the middle of rehearsal last night because she texted me that she accidentally took another daily allergy pill instead of the benadryl she intended to take before bed.  Ds26 called poison control and they said she should be fine.  Svengo.  She was pretty nervous all night so she slept in bed with me.

Ds26 hasn't gotten his flat tire replaced yet and it makes me a little nervous with everything we have going on on Sunday and really needing a couple vehicles.

Did anyone get up extra early to see the partial lunar eclipse this morning?

• Like 5

Good morning!

I, too, had plans to do so much stuff today, but dd15 says she feels like she has pneumonia, so I am going to bring her to the clinic this morning after dropping dd18 off at work.  I would really love for people to stop getting sick around here.  

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Dd15 does not have pneumonia or strep, probably just a cold/sinus infection.  When we got to the clinic the lady said we were probably looking at a 2 hour wait but we literally waited less than 2 minutes.  I'm drinking my morning coffee and then heading out for bird food and dog food since our Chewy order is running a week late, and then to the pharmacy for prescriptions and then UPS and then home.  

• Like 5

Morning.  Happy Saturday.   

I slept in until almost 10am and when I did get up, dh had made a breakfast casserole and my tea was all ready to go.   

I just finished helping (doing it for him?) ds apply to our local community college.  He's 16 but we're "graduating" him from high school.   He's ready to do more outside stuff.  We'll let him start with one or two classes and see how it goes.  

Now I need to make an appointment for him to get a passport so he has an acceptable photo id when he needs to do testing or whatever.  I think they will accept a "school" id but a passport will also make it much easier for him to get his drivers permit so we figure we might as well get it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm reposting my job listing to try and hire someone starting in February when my next teacher leaves.   

It's simple - should like science, have experience working with young kids, be patient, not a yeller, etc.   Ad asks for people to submit a resume as a FB message or to an email address (given in the ad).   I don't require a degree, and its a great part time job for a parent homeschooling or with kids in school.   But it's still a real job that needs to be applied for and I need people who are reliable, etc.

Why do so many people just comment with "I'm interested" or send a message saying the same?  Then I have to say "Great! Can you submit a resume or interest letter?"  Y'know, like it says in the ad?  

I know I'm somewhat/sort of desperate, but I really don't want to even bother interviewing someone who can't read an ad and follow basic instructions.    Even if I did want to interview every single person who showed any interest at all (which I kind of would), I still need them to send me basic contact information.  I'm not going to set up interviews and ask questions about qualifications in a public message.  I wouldn't think people would want that.

Am I being too picky or unreasonable? 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I'm reposting my job listing to try and hire someone starting in February when my next teacher leaves.   

It's simple - should like science, have experience working with young kids, be patient, not a yeller, etc.   Ad asks for people to submit a resume as a FB message or to an email address (given in the ad).   I don't require a degree, and its a great part time job for a parent homeschooling or with kids in school.   But it's still a real job that needs to be applied for and I need people who are reliable, etc.

Why do so many people just comment with "I'm interested" or send a message saying the same?  Then I have to say "Great! Can you submit a resume or interest letter?"  Y'know, like it says in the ad?  

I know I'm somewhat/sort of desperate, but I really don't want to even bother interviewing someone who can't read an ad and follow basic instructions.    Even if I did want to interview every single person who showed any interest at all (which I kind of would), I still need them to send me basic contact information.  I'm not going to set up interviews and ask questions about qualifications in a public message.  I wouldn't think people would want that.

No.  But you could add "only applicants who submit a resume to __________________ will be considered.  Please don't just respond that you are interested."

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

No, you are not being too picky or unreasonable. But, you are getting certain responses from people, so you are going to have to decide whether you want to wait for the type of person who will do what you want them to do (just send in a resume like you asked) or if you are going to gently say, “Thank you for your interest, please send in a resume”. And chances are you will have to do that with them as an employee, too. And that doesn’t necessarily mean they are bad people or even bad employees.  It just means that you are going to have to be willing to train them. I have this problem at work with families getting work in, meeting deadlines, etc. And DH has this problem at his work,  too. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good instant pot cookbook recommendations?  Are they just for the pressure cooker setting or do they include stuff for the other settings too? 

Check your library. Mine has Nisha Vora's vegan one, which has a great set of charts at the front for different kinds of rice, beans, and vegetables and then a bunch of Indian recipes. And they have a few dozen more IP-specific cookbooks, too, but I mostly want it for pre-cooking individual ingredients.

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went to all the places, only to come home to find that the Chewy dog food arrived.  But not the bird food.  Oh well.  I gave Chester some of the new dog food for dinner and he seemed to like it but promptly threw up.  Sigh.  

Ds26 still hasn't fixed his flat tire so I am going to have to make trips back and forth from places seventeen thousand times tomorrow.  yay.

I sent an email to the insurance company explaining that what I told them yesterday on the phone is what I really need for this new purchase even though the insurance person told me I didn't actually need it done.  I am hoping they will get on it before they all check out for Thanksgiving.  (They were more than happy to add ds17 to the policy, however, which doubled the rate.  I will have two more teenagers to add in the next 6 months, svengo.)

Dd15 was doing an experiment with invisible ink and caught a piece of paper on fire.  I managed to stomp it out without setting anything else on fire.

I've gotta take a shower and putz around some more.  I got started on a project that is a birthday gift for dd18 and I need to finish it in time to get it shipped.

Dd15 does not like the sinus infection medicine she's having to take.

My new xero shoes are too small.

That's all the news from Lake Woebegone.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I did lots of this, that, and the other thing today. But still more to do.  Why is there so much dirt?  

Because Adam and Eve ate the fruit.

57 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

My new xero shoes are too small.

I had that happen once. They exchanged them for free.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

They respond that way because it's Facebook. Facebook is very informal, and people treat it that way. Many times I'll see something posted (job), people respond, "Interested," and the hirer either says (on the post) they will contact them with more info, or to please send a resume. Post somewhere like Craigslist under the Jobs heading, or other job site like that, and you get better, formal responses.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I get that Facebook is casual.  I just expect people to know to be more formal and follow directions when applying for a job. 

I did get one resume sent properly and a couple others asking some questions, so we shall see how it goes.  

Now it is almost 11pm and I should go to bed.

I would not be casual with a job application. I would ask questions before submitting a resume to avoid wasting both our time. I think that's appropriate.

• Like 6

I was going to make Filipino adobo in the Instant Pot tomorrow.   But my friend just texted and we're going out to dinner.  So adobo for lunch seems overkill.  So I"m thinking of doing that Monday.    But now I don't know what to do for lunch tomorrow.  I seem to have decision fatigue.  I think that Krissi should get on the road and bring me some nice Mediterranean food. 

• Like 5