Menu

Ignore this thread!

12 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I was reading the thread about companies not able to find workers.  I'm definitely having that problem.  I need to hire at least 1, maybe 2 employees.  I pay decent and the job has lots of benefits - can sit to teach if you need to, bring your own kids, pick your hours and days, run your classes how you want.  But I don't know how to word those intangibles (except the bring your kid thing, that's easy) in an ad that makes sense and still seems professional. 

Hmmm...

• flexible accommodations
  • flexible work schedule

That's all my brain can do right now.

11 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I will see your Clinton clothes and raise you a coat that I bought during George W. Bush’s presidency. And still wear. Occasionally. It doesn’t fit too well, but I still have it. And wear it. Occasionally.

I have my great grandmother's leather(?) jacket, but I'm not sure when she got it. Maybe the 70s? I haven't worn it in a couple of years though.

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

How did Gymnast's concerts go today?

They were a lot of fun. They did a good job! We got home tired.

EDIT: Two BOOYAs in a row! I think...

Edited by Renai
B.O.O.Y.A.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

So to most people, flexible schedule seems to mean "we want you to be flexible because we aren't going to tell you your hours until two days before".

I have flexible schedules in that they can pick what classes to teach (right now they have to pick from what's on the schedule but for Fall they would be able to pick their entire schedule), but once it's picked it will stay the same for the year.   So what's a catchy way to say that?

• Like 4

Morning, Happy Sunday.

I feel like I've been busy all weekend but I've gotten nothing done.  That's what happens when we have too many things out of the house.   

I need to run by work to put some stuff away, find out if dd is going to clean today, work on classes for the week, and plan an activity for 4-H holiday party this week.

• Like 4

I was home for 12 hours and now I’m flying out again.  This time to PA.  For a week.  In December.  My phone says it’s cold there. ☹️ I brought my gloves and ear warmer headband.

My dog was not happy I was leaving again.  He was pouting when he saw my suitcase by the door.  Poor fella. I did take him for a nice long walk this morning, though.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

So to most people, flexible schedule seems to mean "we want you to be flexible because we aren't going to tell you your hours until two days before".

I have flexible schedules in that they can pick what classes to teach (right now they have to pick from what's on the schedule but for Fall they would be able to pick their entire schedule), but once it's picked it will stay the same for the year.   So what's a catchy way to say that?

True. 🤔

🤔

🤔

• Spring 2022 - choose the classes you want to teach
  • Beginning Fall 2022 - create your own schedule for the year

It also depends on what the rest of your ad says. Are you mentioning that they are filling in for classes already on the schedule? Are the lesson plans already made and they only have to teach to the plan? I only mention these areas because some may feel intimidated about stepping in the middle of the year and needing to create their own plans for classes in session. Does that make sense? (I'm going by what I'm reading from hundreds of teachers that are changing gears to teach for other companies - online or in-person.) Having already-made plans would also be a benefit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renai said:

True. 🤔

🤔

🤔

• Spring 2022 - choose the classes you want to teach
  • Beginning Fall 2022 - create your own schedule for the year

It also depends on what the rest of your ad says. Are you mentioning that they are filling in for classes already on the schedule? Are the lesson plans already made and they only have to teach to the plan? I only mention these areas because some may feel intimidated about stepping in the middle of the year and needing to create their own plans for classes in session. Does that make sense? (I'm going by what I'm reading from hundreds of teachers that are changing gears to teach for other companies - online or in-person.) Having already-made plans would also be a benefit.

The classes that I'm looking to hire for can be handled how the teacher wants.  The classes are Prek (2 1/2 to 5 years old) and Junior (K through 2nd grade) so don't necessarily use a traditional curriculum. The current teacher, who is leaving, is doing thematic type stuff for one set of classes that is the same class (different students) 4 mornings a week - first session was science of toys, now is weather, next are inventions and color.  Other classes are Storybook STEM, Science around the world, but most are general - Pre-K Explorations and Jr STEM - which can literally be just about anything.   When I used to teach those classes more, I didn't really follow a plan or curriculum.  I did more of an integrated approach where we explored various topics based on the abilities and interests of the specific class of students.  

So, really whoever I hire has the option of taking a plan that's already written up or doing their own thing.   I have a TON of resources and activity ideas for all ages.

I'm trying to keep the ad simple but include the important details, and go over the in depth stuff during interviews.  But I need to get people to apply.  

I'm not like coops or other enrichment classes or schools so it's kind of weird and hard to explain in a brief ad. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ikslo said:

I was home for 12 hours and now I’m flying out again.  This time to PA.  For a week.  In December.  My phone says it’s cold there. ☹️ I brought my gloves and ear warmer headband.

My dog was not happy I was leaving again.  He was pouting when he saw my suitcase by the door.  Poor fella. I did take him for a nice long walk this morning, though.

My favorite artist now lives in the Pittsburgh area.  A week?!?  Whoa.

Poor puppy needs his mamma!

• Like 2

Church service was very nice this morning.  The choir sang. We didn't stay for Sunday school.  My sister had to stop by the grocery store to pick up some things for her work-retreat, then we had some lunch, and then we went to the Big City Fancy Fish Store.  We returned home with some aquarium chemicals, live plants, and three guppies.

On the way home we stopped by a dear church lady's house who asked us to come by and get a tray of Christmas cookies she made for us.  Cutest things ever - little cookie penguins and mousies and other yummies.

Now just hanging around the house.  Baked a test batch of cranberry shortbread cookies and will have pizza dinner and do Advent candles and treats a bit later.

• Like 4

I finished a book - Business Boutique by Christy Wright.  Imma put it in the completely made up "Book About Starting Your Own Business" category.  I think I only have 2 more books to read this year.  What's the other one I was reading?  See?  I can't even remember.  I wonder if it's on my nightstand.

For story time, we are reading In the Days of the Angels by Walter Wangerin, Jr. (author of one of my all time favorite novels, The Book of the Dun Cow.  Marrrrooooooooonnned!)   It's a collection of short Christmas stories and original carols.   think I can include it in some category.  Oh, I know - A Book by or about a pastor or pastor's wife.  I already have a book in that category but I'm sure there is room for both.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I ordered my Christmas cards. Now I need to write my Christmas letter.

I have never done a Christmas letter.  I think it's a great idea until it's time to write one -- and then I never know how to start or how much to share.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Morning, It's Monday.  Yippee. 

I have three applicants for my position.  One I had to send a message asking about their "work with young children" experience since there was none on the resume, the other two I asked to schedule interviews.  I put right in the interview scheduling email - classes are in person and masks are required.   The other applicant I had scheduled an interview, asked a bunch of questions before asking about in-person and masks, and wasn't willing to do either.   

I teach the babies today.  Sorry, but that is my least favorite.  I am not a little kid person.   Give me the teenagers any day.  On the bright side, it's easier to hire a little kid teacher than a high school teacher.

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 5

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

And especially now that she is visiting her Favorite Mouse.

Good luck with the Babies today, Toto!  And hope you get some good teaching candidates!

I woke up to loud thunderbooming this morning.  My outside Christmas tree blew over in the wind, but it was easy enough to put it back up.  It's just going to get colder and colder until we are down into the 20's tomorrow morning.  

Dd15 is doing better this morning.  I let her sleep in and now everyone has gotten started with lessons.  I brought dd18 to school and later this afternoon we'll go to music lesson, choir, and Scouts.  I have to make a phone call.  And pack up the guest bedroom.  I wonder if some of dd15's anxiety came from her auntie leaving after the weekend visit?

Coffee!

• Like 5