Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Wheres Toto said:

I get that Facebook is casual.  I just expect people to know to be more formal and follow directions when applying for a job. 

I did get one resume sent properly and a couple others asking some questions, so we shall see how it goes.  

Now it is almost 11pm and I should go to bed.

Yes, I understand the expectations of job applications, I'm just commenting on how Facebook is often perceived and many people respond. It's not the first time I've read from employers how many informal responses they receive through Facebook.

It really is the nature of the beast, and the mentality of many who use it. Facebook is, firstly, an informal platform. Some people don't switch off that mentality. Go to LinkedIn, or Alignable, where it is designed to be formal, there will be a different type of response.

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

Zoom iglesia and Facebook church with a migraine.  Just like pretty much every other week.

I'm thinking about visiting my neurologist, even though I'm pretty sure there's nothing he can do.  I'm just starting to get desperate for a solution. 😞

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Renai said:

Yes, I understand the expectations of job applications, I'm just commenting on how Facebook is often perceived and many people respond. It's not the first time I've read from employers how many informal responses they receive through Facebook.

It really is the nature of the beast, and the mentality of many who use it. Facebook is, firstly, an informal platform. Some people don't switch off that mentality. Go to LinkedIn, or Alignable, where it is designed to be formal, there will be a different type of response.

I did post on LinkedIn and our local CC as well but haven't had any responses from either of those. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Renai said:

You got a booyah there 😉

• Like 3

We had a special service this morning because it is our church's 10th anniversary.  I sobbed through the children's choir song because dh used to direct the children's choir and they sing every Thanksgiving Sunday.  I am thankful to have been playing violin for the service because it helped me focus on not sobbing for most of the time.

I am leaving in an hour for a memorial service of a friend's dh who died a year ago.  Then there is a fancy church 10th anniversary celebration dinner.  My eye is twitching again.  Better get more magnesium.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Raiders choked!😩😩😩

I had to check who they were playing so I would know how to react.

Watching the Steelers right now.  They're my brother's team, not mine, but I root for them if I don't care about the opposing team.  I have principles in choosing who I root for, but my brother* is almost a foot taller than me, so that definitely influences my decision.

*I originally typed this word as "bother" and I contemplated not fixing it. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Dd12's hives are much better, but she is still itchy in some places.  How long is this going to go on!?!?  Poor kid.  I need to see if I can find any more hydrocortisone cream.

There are Some Tasks which must get done today.  I need to make a phone call.  And get documents taken care of.  And finish the gift for dd18 so I can order it and get it here by her birthday.  Kids have music lessons and children's choir this afternoon, but no Scouts.

On the Thanksgiving Schedule, I need to clean the house, clean the oven/stove, and find the turkey drippings separator.  

Coffee!

• Like 4

Morning.   Happy Monday.   I'm off this week so it's not a real Monday.

I did bail on working out with dd this morning.  My back is back to being very painful.  I didn't sleep well and working out seemed like a bad idea.  

My plan for today was to clean house but I'll have to see how much I can get done without doing any lifting or twisting.   I am doing laundry, slowly and carefully.  I should be able to wipe down surfaces and do some straightening up so that's something.

At noon, I'm taking ds to finish his passport application at the post office.  I guess I'm going to need to pay to expedite since he'll need it to do placement testing at the CC for January.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Junie said:

I had to check who they were playing so I would know how to react.

Watching the Steelers right now.  They're my brother's team, not mine, but I root for them if I don't care about the opposing team.  I have principles in choosing who I root for, but my brother* is almost a foot taller than me, so that definitely influences my decision.

*I originally typed this word as "bother" and I contemplated not fixing it. 🙂

That Steelers game was awful. I was cheering for the Steelers and they almost pulled through there at the end, but alas….it wasn’t meant to be.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Renai said:

I finally figured out (mostly) a Thanksgiving menu and have all the ingredients for what I've figured out...I need something green. I'm thinking green beans.

Green beans are a good choice.  My mom makes them steamed with toasted garlic, crumbled bacon, sautéed mushrooms and almond slivers. Yummy!

• Like 5

So the people at our closest post office that does passports evidently don't know how to do it for 16 year olds who are not old enough to have a drivers license.  I'm tempted to print out the information from the passport page but it's not in a good printable form.   They were willing to just send it in so I'll just make sure they have what they need, even if they don't realize it.  We have to go back because the form got messed up and we were waiting forever.  I finally just said we'd go back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Matt's licenced. He could technically work right now. 

Congratulations!!  Did all the tools come in?

1 hour ago, Wheres Toto said:

So the people at our closest post office that does passports evidently don't know how to do it for 16 year olds who are not old enough to have a drivers license.  I'm tempted to print out the information from the passport page but it's not in a good printable form.   They were willing to just send it in so I'll just make sure they have what they need, even if they don't realize it.  We have to go back because the form got messed up and we were waiting forever.  I finally just said we'd go back.

I have found that some post office people know how to do passport things and some are completely clueless.  It is so frustrating, especially when you have to wait around forever and then come back and you are on a deadline.  Dd23 found it helpful to print out all the information on required documents (as much as possible), etc from the State Department website.  Just in case. I think she eventually ended up going to a post office a half hour away from the nearest one because they had a reputation for knowing what they were doing.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yes. To do things properly he needs a business name ($$$) and business cards, but I think he's going to work for someone else for a little while (1099/gig work) because moneys. Hopefully, he'll be full time self employed by January.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made a phone call, cleaned the stove, wiped out the oven, and started the self-cleaning cycle.  (It's finally warm in the house.)  Also did 2 loads of laundry and found the puppy gate we borrowed from a friend and need to return.  We are done rat sitting today, but also started bird sitting for the next few days.  Parakeets are much noisier than rats, fyi, lol.  I got quite a bit of work done on my birthday gift project, but have a lot to go.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I have found that some post office people know how to do passport things and some are completely clueless.  It is so frustrating, especially when you have to wait around forever and then come back and you are on a deadline.  Dd23 found it helpful to print out all the information on required documents (as much as possible), etc from the State Department website.  Just in case. I think she eventually ended up going to a post office a half hour away from the nearest one because they had a reputation for knowing what they were doing.

I did think about posting to our county moms group and asking if anyone knew of what post office was good with 16 year olds.   But I think we're going to look into a non-drivers id for both kids instead.    At least there I'm going in person to the agency that actually issues them so it theoretically should be easier to figure out what's needed, if we don't have it.  But I think we have everything we need for that. 

Things are made more complicated since we homeschool and don't have "official" school identification or transcripts.  

• Like 3

I solved the mystery of the unknown spice. A couple weeks ago I had a family meeting and the mom made me lunch. She used to own a Mexican restaurant, so it was amazing - stuffed poblano chile  and rice and this yummy Mexican hot chocolate I had to eat with a spoon. Anyhow, the hot chocolate was spicy and had these round things in it. I asked her what they were and where she got them…. sweet peppercorns, she said and she got the at the Mexican grocery store.  So, I go to the Mexican grocery store today and had a “conversation” with a little Mexican grandma, who knew no English (and I know no Spanish) I determined that the mystery spice is while allspice and I bought a package and am going to use it In my mulled cider.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So I'm being lazy today.  Mostly.  Other than my run to the post office to NOT get things accomplished (I even remembered I needed stamps but didn't get them), I've been doing laundry.  And looking up what id is needed for various things.   And posted pictures from last week's classes. 

But I really wanted to do some heavy house cleaning.  And  I can't because of my back.  Which is annoying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I solved the mystery of the unknown spice. A couple weeks ago I had a family meeting and the mom made me lunch. She used to own a Mexican restaurant, so it was amazing - stuffed poblano chile  and rice and this yummy Mexican hot chocolate I had to eat with a spoon. Anyhow, the hot chocolate was spicy and had these round things in it. I asked her what they were and where she got them…. sweet peppercorns, she said and she got the at the Mexican grocery store.  So, I go to the Mexican grocery store today and had a “conversation” with a little Mexican grandma, who knew no English (and I know no Spanish) I determined that the mystery spice is while allspice and I bought a package and am going to use it In my mulled cider.

Was the hot chocolate sweet spicy or hot spicy?  I can't do hot spicy but a thick yummy hot chocolate sounds really good. 

I was looking up how to make lattes, especially tea lattes, at home without a milk frother.   Seems pretty simple so I may try it one of these days.  

• Like 2