Menu

Ignore this thread!

John is planning his wedding. Mary will be a bridesmaid and Alex his best man. Matt will officiate as long his future wife is ok with it. Isaac will be an usher and his youngest sister (?!) will be the flower girl. The bride is still to be determined.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

This is going to be an EdPo eventually. I'm breaking the ITT rules. In all fairness, I think the "No EdPo" rule needs to be suspended during this time of year.

I missed the Cupcake Kurfluffle and the Men in Kilts thang, too. I have my own pictures of my man in a kilt. 🥰 Scotsman looks good, y'all, as do all men in a kilt. Maybe someday he will let me post a picture. Cupcakes are too much trouble to make. 

So EdPo: I'm running into a problem with MBtP 4-5. It is asking for way more expressive speech output than Captain can do with his delay. I'm talking about Venn diagrams, journal entries, full sentence answers, and stuff. I thought it was going to be more like abc and 123 intro with lots of fun crafts. I thought I could modify it/drop stuff but it is too much. We used week one's materials (diecut A and stickers), and I laminated some apple diecuts and the number cards. WAH! I hate this! It was a heavy box that I am now going to have to pay to ship back! I can't even use Media Mail cause the materials box isn't books. 

And Mosdos Press still owes over $150 for the Grade 5 set I returned. Apparently, I sent it to the main building since they didn't have a return address on the website and were not answering phones at all or email in a timely manner. 

The Girl has a huge misquitoe bite on her leg that she informs me she needs to take liquid Benedryl for.

Chiropractor today stretched Quiet Boy and The Girl out and adjusted me. My hip is hurting again. This is real annoying! He said I need to stretch more. 

I made chicken fajatias and guac for dinner tonight. Yum!

Bookie- I would love you to plan my year. I'll trade helping move/cleaning.

I will rub benedryl--usually a crushed tablet, not the cream--on bad bites, it helps a lot.

Heat applied directly also helps, if it's a part of the body that will fit under a faucet hot water works--itches like crazy while it is being applied but them stops itching for a good while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I would love to earn a living planning things for people. I wonder if folks would pay for that?

Good morning! Coffee!

I get paid to create personalized planning sheets. Elder care, homeschool, chore charts, meal plans. I began doing it to help church members manage bills, medication, specialized diet plans because they were all old and needed help, but when one of their kids saw that I was so good at it he started asking me to for work. Law stuff, no idea what I was doing but he just told me exactly what he wanted and I did it. Then I did it for some coworkers. I made whole books in Google docs for $20/hr. I've also done elder care for charge and I sometimes do some for a legally blind hive member for free (she never knew I charge, I just offered because she was struggling).

I've considered opening a business but I have absolutely no idea how to advertise for that.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

This is the sticking point for me, too. How on earth to spread the word that I can help with this kind of thing?

Thanks for sharing your experience, though. Food for thought.

I know bloggers make money that way but those are like full time bloggers. If I'm going to work full time I'm going to need at least minimum wage.

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

And what is the difference between Winter Promise, MFW, and Biblioplan? They all seem really similar to me.

Agreeing with others - there's no law against Edpos, but it is nice to keep a balance, lol.  

I've never used any of those three, though I have looked at them longingly through the years.  Winter Promise -  I think there were some "sonlight" folks who started it?  The Sky and Sea one seems to get used some by people here, but other than that I think I've read more complaints than praises.  MFW - The nice thing about this is instead of scheduling tons of books, they're in the book basket.  Now, doesn't that feel better?  Less pressure for sure!  On the other hand, could you do just as well with a volume of SOTW, one of the apologia books and Children's Bible?  (Not criticizing MFW at all!).  Bibloplan - schedules tons of different spines and resources so you can choose which one you want to use with their plan.  They wrote their own spine to go with it later - it's a lot of pages and color pictures, so if you want it printed it's not cheap.  I guess you're encouraged to use it on a screen.  But really any spine- MOH, VP cards, SOTW, etc - all scheduled.  But I don't like skipping around in a spine - so why not just find the spine you like and go straight through it and add some biographies and literature books along the way.  Also, I always thought the writing topics in the samples looked "meh."  Personally I would do writing separately or use an IEW history theme based writing book (but skip the creative writing units and do extra on the others).  

Also, as an afterthought, have you seen the thread about 8filtheheart's blog posts?  She has several blog posts about planning for the year.  I haven't read them, but they might be helpful.  I don't think you'll be happy with any resource as an open and go, imho.  

9 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I didn't know we had a "no ed-po rule."

I don't think it's a "No Ed-Po Rule", more of a "Heads-Up on Ed-Po" rule. 

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I know what you mean. All those books. In all honesty, the only curriculum I ever used as written in full was MP for K-2nd. After that, well y'all know what a mess I've made.

I guess they and Sonlight/Bookshark/Wayfarers/TOG/BYL all use loads of books scheduled in small bites at a time which would drive us bonkers.

as an aside, I may say y'all but in reality I have no accent of any kind, unless I'm putting one on for fun. Anyone else do that? Use phrases that normally would have a heavy accent if spoken but you don't actually have an accent?

Yes, I do that.   I'll type things like y'all and darlin' but I live in NJ.  I don't have that kind of accent. 

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I would love to earn a living planning things for people. I wonder if folks would pay for that?

Good morning! Coffee!

Homeschool planning?  Yes, they definitely would from what I've seen around here.  Especially right now.  It's something I've thought about doing but I don't have the time with the science center.

35 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

This is the sticking point for me, too. How on earth to spread the word that I can help with this kind of thing?

Thanks for sharing your experience, though. Food for thought.

Around here, homeschool and mom's groups on Facebook would be the way to advertise if you are doing it for homeschooling.  Mom groups for general household stuff.  

• Like 3

Good morning.

I'm suffering from brain-full-dump-something syndrome. I forgot to double check the water last night and left it running. Gah. Here's hoping I didn't mess up the pump. It was the well, which we use to water the garden. I was working out a plot/character dilemma whilst watering the tomatoes, thinking about processing a squash, ordering something online, and needing to send queries out at the end of the week (I took a vacation because I needed some rejections to come in to clear out the books). Which doesn't excuse me, but I forgot! 

Can't do that again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I didn't know we had a "no ed-po rule."

9 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Me neither. I've been EdPo'ing occasionally and I'm not gonna say I'm sorry either. Helps me get my thoughts organized.

Whitehawk will need to weigh in on this, but I think EdPos are allowed, and some include warnings as a courtesy to those who become traumatized over educational thoughts, this being an educational forum and all. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Good morning!

Dh saw a schoolbus go by this morning, so schools must have started in our county.  We'll see how long that lasts, lol.

I am too old to be getting up 2 or 3 times a night with fussy puppies.  Last night I read The Hobbit to dd11 - its her first first literature book for the semester and it was stressing her out, so I got out the giant illustrated one snd went through the chapter study questions with her and I think she is feeling much better about it.

I need to run some errands this morning before dd22 has to go to work because the van isn't starting again and I'll need to drive dh's-now-dd22's car.

Coffee!

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!!

Overslept this morning!!! DH has a dentist appointment, so he slept later and I slept late. 
My allergies have been awful. I fell asleep reading last night. Churchill was mourning having to bomb the French navy to keep it out of the hands of the Nazis and I conked out. I’d been feeling likeDorothy in the poppy field all day long.

Busy day again today. Afsa pick up, Gotta take DD to her school for Reacclimation Day. Lots of stuff to do for work.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Whitehawk will need to weigh in on this, but I think EdPos are allowed, and some include warnings as a courtesy to those who become traumatized over educational thoughts, this being an educational forum and all. 😉

This. I think it’s just one of those services we provide that sets us above the rest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I am sitting here eating something I totally shouldn't be eating.

Me too!

16 hours ago, Slache said:

John is planning his wedding. Mary will be a bridesmaid and Alex his best man. Matt will officiate as long his future wife is ok with it. Isaac will be an usher and his youngest sister (?!) will be the flower girl. The bride is still to be determined.

John is on Gymnast's "potential" list...

12 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

That settles it. I NEED another one! Too bad Scotsman disagrees.

They are always cute when asleep. Don't be fooled.

11 hours ago, Slache said:

I don't know anything about the edpo. Sorry.

I asked Matt to get calzones and he got pizza hot pockets. I think we need marriage counseling.

We like calzones, but when pronounced in Spanish we get the giggles because then we're eating underwear.

4 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! Coffee!

Yes! Especially now. Homeschool groups, mom groups, for advertising.

I need to get ready for my Chinese lesson now.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well that was interesting.  I called the doctor's office again to make a "new patient" appointment (The lady I spoke to last week never called me back) and instead of having to wait 7 months to get in, I got an appointment for Oct. 2nd!  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

(((Texan)))

Yes, some children need warning labels. :)

Sorry about the math program woes.  Dh chose our math curriculum before we even started homeschooling, so I have never tried to change it.  (Other than I asked if we could use Abeka for the early years because it's more colorful and I was already familiar with it.)

Also, I have never had a breakfast taco.  What's in it?

• Like 2

Home from my open house.   We had 11 or 12 families come by, which was a lot.  It was crazy at times but overall good.  A couple inquiries about masks, a few people who wore them coming in but then took them off and I didn't notice.  <<sigh>>   They are required here in all indoor spaces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

(((Bookie)))

I have no advice. I see a lot of my abusive mother in one of my children. I'm often at a loss at how to handle it and I too don't believe I always do my best. I'm sorry.

Violent play would not bother me in the slightest, by the way. I don't know if that's any consolation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

You do realize my kids are old enough that they have absolutely nothing to do with my sleeping hours, right?  I don't have to go to all of that trouble.  Anymore.  

No. Your kids are 4 and 8 and need to be put to bed.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I had the weirdest dream last night that I went to my 6 week postpartum appt and was told I'm preggers again. I had you teach me to write it in Chinese because I was scared saying it in English would make it real. Like I said, weird dream. First dream I've had and remember since Newbie's been born.

Wow. I'd like to know enough Chinese to tell you that...

4 hours ago, Spudater said:

She slept almost an hour. I read to ds, finished my Latin, scrubbed the toilet, folded laundry, and tookout the trash. It was awesome!

That's more than I get done most days.

40 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh my goodness, now I want to send you breakfast tacos. Fresh, homemade flour tortillas, filled with your choice of meat and accompaniments (jalapeños or whatever)- typically they have scrambled eggs, then chorizo, ham, and/or bacon, and cheese. Dh likes potato in his, I do not. I like mine with egg, cheese and ham. And then you dip them in salsa. MMMMMMmmmmmmm. So good. 

That's considered a breakfast burrito here. Flour tortilla = burrito. Corn tortilla = taco. I love the ones at Lotaburger, when I'm too lazy to make my own.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

He's so perfectly adorable! Are you getting any sleep at night? I feel like the pillowtop bed with clean crisp sheets in my air-conditioned bedroom are laughing at me cause Newbie ain't lettin' me anywhere near it. 🤣😂😭

I was supposed to deal with him until 3 and then go to bed but I had him again from like 5-8. Or something. When I got home I was so tired that I let too much fall on him so now he's too tired and letting too much fall on me...

• Sad 3

I've had a headache all afternoon.  I think it was from the Hot Pocket I ate for lunch.  I stopped eating them a while ago because they are super unhealthy, but I like them.  I was being lazy and we had some in the freezer so I made it.    It wasn't worth it.  Advil is not even touching this headache.

I really REALLY need to start writing down when I have a reaction that I think is due to food.  I used to get headaches all the time until I started being (slightly) more careful about what I ate.  Some foods make my eyes itch like an allergy reaction (walnuts), some give me a headache, and some just make me feel crappy.  It would probably be a good thing to keep track of.  I should get back to tracking my food anyway since I stopped while my computer was in the shop.  

I think I discovered someone who has me on ignore.   If someone has you on ignore, but another person quotes you, what does the person see in the other persons post quoting you?

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

31 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I've had a headache all afternoon.  I think it was from the Hot Pocket I ate for lunch.  I stopped eating them a while ago because they are super unhealthy, but I like them.  I was being lazy and we had some in the freezer so I made it.    It wasn't worth it.  Advil is not even touching this headache.

I really REALLY need to start writing down when I have a reaction that I think is due to food.  I used to get headaches all the time until I started being (slightly) more careful about what I ate.  Some foods make my eyes itch like an allergy reaction (walnuts), some give me a headache, and some just make me feel crappy.  It would probably be a good thing to keep track of.  I should get back to tracking my food anyway since I stopped while my computer was in the shop.  

I think I discovered someone who has me on ignore.   If someone has you on ignore, but another person quotes you, what does the person see in the other persons post quoting you?

I have no idea, but I guess we're going to find out...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1