Menu

Ignore this thread!

7 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Ok people how do I get baby to nap not on top of me.

Swaddle tightly. Move baby to crib after falling asleep.

6 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't know what this stands for because my brain has turned to mush. Sis Newbie somehow find and reattach our umbilical cord? He's determined to be in my arms at all cost ALL DAY LONG. Plus all night last night. I can't get anything done. I need to sweep, wash dishes, figure out dinner, and finish processing/canning all the beets.

Fixed that for you. I edited your posty wosty in my quoty woty.

4 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Wait til baby is too old to take naps.  Worked for me!  Twice!

So A & L still nap on you?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mms said:

Oh yeah! I always forget, but if I am not wearing my babies in the first three to six months they are swaddled. Seriously, it’s a wonder they ever learn to crawl!

But this is how I do it. Except I swaddle much much tighter than this lady does. Soviet hospitals would send babies home swaddled really tightly with a bow around them.

That's cool!

3 hours ago, Spudater said:

Ok people how do I get baby to nap not on top of me.

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I was going to word it, "Just set a timer for four years," but yes, this is the correct answer. 🙂

• Like 2

I had never changed a diaper before John was born. I knew nothing about kids. When he came out I did not feel that overwhelming motherly love everyone talks about. I thought I was defective. Apparently that's common and I wish it was more widely talked about.

30 minutes ago, Junie said:

Dh and I never set a number for children.  We figured God knew best and we let Him decide.

We had 6 children in our first 10 years of marriage and now have had 0 in the second 10 years of marriage.

I get pregnant too easily. I didn't even have teA the 4th time.

• Haha 5

On 8/13/2020 at 6:49 AM, Junie said:

Happy International Left-Handers Day!

Do any of y'all have lefties in your house?

Dd14 is our only lefty.  🙂

Apparently, in the Bible, left handers were great sling shotters.

On 8/13/2020 at 10:22 AM, Servant4Christ said:

Short schooled Oldest and went to Newbie's 4week pedi appointment. He's 12lbs! 🤣

That's 2.5 Baby Dancers!

15 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Zoom auditions are more complicated than I expected.  We have to provide a youtube link with their solo piece and they have to announce name, age, music, composer, etc., and I am expecting them to turn out a little like that funny Liberty Mutual commercial.  Mibberty Butual.

Coffee!

I had to do that to prepare for Gymnast's violin masterclass. she virtually attended a Suzuki camp a couple of weeks ago, so we had to send a video of her polished piece to the teacher so she knew what to work on. Thankfully, I'm familiar with Zoom and have had to upload several videos to YouTube this year, so it was easy.

12 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

A coyote came up to our fence bordering the pasture at 6am this morning while dh was out with our dogs and tried to attack our puppy though the fence. Dh and  I wish dh had had his gun. The coyotes are really bad lately and I won't let the kids go play in the pasture alone. I guess they are running out of things to eat. I hate coyotes. 

Really? Dh says that coyotes are mansos and more scared of people than anything. They are around here, but they don't do anything except sometimes make noise in the middle of the night. We live by the river, so they are sometimes in the neighborhood. One crossed our path once when we were river walking, but just kept on his way. Bears on the other hand...

12 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Coyotes are so creepy.

Another weirdo. Maybe we just have nice coyotes...

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

In other news, we finished Ember's End (book 4 in the Green Ember series) today at story time.  The books are great, but I'm ready to move on.  Winnie-the-Pooh is next on the schedule, and The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg (Civil War) after that.

We are in Book 1. We just started the series last week. We need to find the bookmark that shows the order of all the books and extras.

8 hours ago, Spudater said:

My main purpose in life is to be a pillow apparently

Me too!

7 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't know what this stands for because my brain has turned to mush.

Did Newbie somehow find and reattach our umbilical cord? He's determined to be in my arms at all cost ALL DAY LONG. Plus all night last night. I can't get anything done. I need to sweep, wash dishes, figure out dinner, and finish processing/canning all the beets.

You need a sling. I keep telling my daughter this as well. Both of my girls were like this. I wore them in slings for a long time. It's a wonder they learned to walk so early.

7 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

This has not worked for me. Just the other night, I had baby on my chest, Gymnast lying on my left arm and Dancer on my left. Neither Dancer nor Gymnast take naps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'll have to look that up. I'm assuming you're referring to David?

Baby Dancer's only 5lbs!? I've never held a baby that small before. 

A ring sling? I've looked at them online. Very intimidating.

No, not David. I was thinking of those 700 specially trained sling shotting warriors in Judges. I always wondered if left handers were specially recruited to that division of fighters. There's also those ambidextrous bowmen.

Baby Dancer's birthweight was 5 pounds 10 ounces. She just got back up to that weight at around 3 weeks.

Slings were easy to me. Pop em in, pull to tighten. I don't thing I had a name brand so maybe it was simpler. It has been a while... I used fabric to wrap Gymnast though. She was heavy and it was better on my back. Either way, I was able to get things done, even nurse, because they were stuck to me.

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

I didn't sleep for as long as I would have liked, but I woke up rested.

I'm trying to decide whether I should break my fast (intermittent fasting) early so that I can try to get rid of this headache that I woke up with.

Going to work some more today on getting the house straightened up and on getting some more writing lessons for my high schoolers figured out.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2020 at 9:03 PM, Where's Toto? said:

I think I discovered someone who has me on ignore.   If someone has you on ignore, but another person quotes you, what does the person see in the other persons post quoting you?

I tried ignoring someone once, and iirc the quote was then an empty box.  It was hard to follow threads and I found it was easier mentally to take them off ignore and just mutter to myself over their posts than to try to follow a thread with missing info. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Spudater said:

Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll give up naps as a toddler. 😜

Ds never napped.  He also barely slept.  Before he was born dh said "no child of mine will sleep in my bed".  Want to take bets on how long that lasted?  Pediatrician basically told her we would up with the baby who didn't need much sleep.

I thought I was going to have an only when I got divorced.  I had no desire to get married again, I was about 33 years old.  Then I met dh and we got married and he really wanted kids.  I was willing but wanted at least 2 since I didn't want two "onlies" - they would have been 11 years apart at least.    I got pregnant very easily but had my tubes tied during my c-section with youngest. 

• Like 3

Good morning!

Dh is uploading the audition videos this morning (2 of them, anyway) because I know I would miss putting something in the email subject line or whatever.  The zoom part of the audition is later this morning - scales and sightreading.

I am driving stuff to the university this afternoon - the bike won't fit in dd22's car.  I am hoping dh can get the van fixed; otherwise I have to borrow ds25's car.  Maybe I can be back home by 9 tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 2

Morning, Happy Saturday.   No workout with dd but woke up early so dh and I could go to BJs during senior hours.    It was very quiet and we were first on the line outside.  Now I'm having my breakfast late for the time I woke up, but about the usual time some days. 

More class work today.    Still a small bit of laundry.  By the time I get all this darn laundry done it's going to be time to start over again.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Then by all means please explain because DH keeps looking at me funny but my 6week checkup is around the corner and I am NOT going to be told I'm pregnant.

#weird dreams

I don't know. I know the kids prayed for him for about 4 years so I'm assuming that's how it happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just checked and I evidently don't have anyone on Ignore.  I didn't think I did, the suspense would kill me seeing the little note about a post and I'd have to look and that's more work so I might as well just not ignore people in the first place.   I checked because I think I did ignore somebody a long time ago (and yes, I was constantly checking their hidden posts) and if they were someone no longer active, I may not even remember. 

ETA:  Seriously?  An ignore everyone booya!

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Round 1 of zoom auditions are done.  Lucky for the girls, I checked the email again and realized I had printed out the sight-reading music for the upper level orchestras instead of the lower level.  It seemed ambitious that they would ask middle-schoolers to sight-read Scheherazade. lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My hair dresser told me since every inch of my hair has now been heavily processed that I have to stop using cheap shampoo. (I am a fan of the Pantene.) She said "just go on Amazon or Sephora and buy something good like Biolage or something decent- you have to stop using cheap shampoo or your hair is going to break" so I know she wasn't trying to make commission at the salon........but I wasn't super sold that more expensive shampoo/condition= better.

I put some stuff in the Sephora cart, but was actually trying to find some real data to say what about expensive shampoo made it better and hadn't pulled the trigger.........Anyway, Sephora just sent me a 20% off coupon for the stuff that's been sitting in the cart 3 days! I need to try that trick more often. 

Pantene is considered the cheap stuff?  ... 😶

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Everyone keeps calling Isaac Alex and Alex Isaac. Matt called him Isaiaic and that seems to work. I need to work on spelling.

14 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

It'd be more fun if the person put on ignore got a notification "Texan is now ignoring your posts".

I have this on FB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My hair dresser told me since every inch of my hair has now been heavily processed that I have to stop using cheap shampoo. (I am a fan of the Pantene.) She said "just go on Amazon or Sephora and buy something good like Biolage or something decent- you have to stop using cheap shampoo or your hair is going to break" so I know she wasn't trying to make commission at the salon........but I wasn't super sold that more expensive shampoo/condition= better.

I put some stuff in the Sephora cart, but was actually trying to find some real data to say what about expensive shampoo made it better and hadn't pulled the trigger.........Anyway, Sephora just sent me a 20% off coupon for the stuff that's been sitting in the cart 3 days! I need to try that trick more often. 

I used to use Redken but now I use It's A 10. I buy it once a year when Ulta has there jumbo sale which should actually be in a few days. The shampoo originally priced is $50 a bottle but between the sale, less quantity because of quality and use of a pump I spend less per year than people who buy their shampoo at walmart.

Ask your stylist about dying your hair with oil.

If you can get a free sample of It's A 10 leave in treatment do so. I can not emphasize this enough. This stuff should be illegal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I regularly confuse the names of my dogs and my kids when calling any of them, so you are doing better than I am. 

I swear my grandma felt soooo bad about this. I didn't care.

3 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Sometimes I point at a kid and say, "Which one are you?"

"Eldest child?"

"John."

"Ah, yes. Thank you."

"What did you need?"

"I don't remember."

"Ok."

#motheroftheyear

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What do you mean by dying with oil? Right now we are trying to turn me blonde- and you've seen my hair from the convention,  so you know how dark my hair actually is- so I think it's more bleach than color? But I know nothing about hair processing. It doesn't feel dry or frizzed or anything right now and the ends seem in good shape. I know when I once tried to get hit highlighted heavily at another shop, it started breaking off- that hasn't happened yet here at least, but she told me she's going slow for that exact reason. 

Argon oil as the base instead of regular dye. You still use peroxide which is often incorrectly called bleach by the hair community. The oil is much better for your hair but requires additional certifications so not everyone does it. 

2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh and I bought Olaplex something or other this time to try. But good to know on the Ulta sale. The last time she had me use pricey shampoo that's how I bought it and it lasted a year. But then it started not cooperating with my hair or something so I don't like that brand anymore. 

I'll post when the sale happens.

21 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I regularly confuse the names of my dogs and my kids when calling any of them, so you are doing better than I am. 

I used to do this. Between 2 dogs, 2 cats, a husband, 2 kids...I'd regularly call dh Luke (the older dog that has since passed), then have a mix of calling my girls either a cat name or one of my sisters. I was mess. I'm a little better now.

20 minutes ago, Spudater said:

So after googling how to get your baby to sleep in a crib I'm realizing trying to get her to nap longer than half an hour not on top of me is just very unrealistic for this age. So at least I no longer need to feel incompetent, lol. I guess I'm letting the pressure get to me. Last time I had a baby this agei only had a third grader and kindergartner.

Well, these babies have only been in the world a few minutes compared to the time they've spent in you, literally attached. I remind Dancer this is the 4th trimester. Of course she wants to still be attached.

16 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I felt like my babies always napped best (during the day) in the car seat carrier, bouncer or the BOB stroller. I know you aren't supposed to put them the BOB before so many weeks, but whoever made that rule didn't have Irish twins and a kid in elementary. So they would zonk in the BOB and I'd just roll them right on into the house and leave them in it until they woke up. 

But I think now they current wisdom is doing any of that will kill the baby and they are outlawing all of the things and before long babies will be relegated wooden slatted crates with no padding, so I'm no help. 

What's a BOB stroller?

16 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Do you baby wear? I know it's not for everyone, so I'm not trying to push, but it is seriously how I get anything done with a baby. I'm always so bummed when my Moby doesn't work for us anymore and I have to find other solutions, because they're never as good. (A friend is loaning me a woven wrap, though! I'm so stinkin' excited to try it out. I hope it works like a Moby but for fat babies, lol.) When I have to stop babywearing is when I start feeling that same pressure, which is why I asked. If you don't already banywear, maybe give it a try and see if it helps?

I had bought some woven material, cut it lengthwise, and had two wraps. It was the best $16 I ever spent. We wore Gymnast for 3 years. By that time she was on our back of course. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I've seen recommendation for no sleeping in carseats or swings. I think it's BS.

Isaiaic had a carseat test in the hospital to make sure he didn't suffocate because he was premature. 90 minutes with a heart monitor and pulse ox.

• Like 1