Menu

Yay! I'm alive. Yesterday was wild. It was the first day of the writing camp, and I had to do all my cabin things on top of Mother's day stuff out of the house. We went to MIL's and did our social distant visit. Good thing it was a nice day. Outside the whole time, grilling, people taking turns getting their food so we wouldn't be too close together. Interesting to say the least.

Today I think the boys are going to go boating later. I will probably take them to the put in, and then have to come get them later. I don't know that I'll go and sit the whole time. Too much to do at the house today!

• Like 6
  • Replies 192.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

Praying for Link.

Home from orthodontist.  I'm exhausted.  I'm blaming the stupid mask.  

Dd's face time violin lesson in less than an hour.  I won't be worth shooting after that.  But at least I don't have to wear a mask.  

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Praying for Link.

Home from orthodontist.  I'm exhausted.  I'm blaming the stupid mask.  

Dd's face time violin lesson in less than an hour.  I won't be worth shooting after that.  But at least I don't have to wear a mask.  

13 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yes. It lowers your oxygen levels.

Yes!  and a headache too.  

• Sad 2
34 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yes. It lowers your oxygen levels.

It’s not supposed to be enough to hurt you ifyou’re healthy, but I definitely have to deliberately breathe deeply while wearing one otherwise I feel like I’m having a panic attack. I feel bad forpeople whohave to wear them all day. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Spudater said:

It’s not supposed to be enough to hurt you ifyou’re healthy, but I definitely have to deliberately breathe deeply while wearing one otherwise I feel like I’m having a panic attack. I feel bad forpeople whohave to wear them all day. 

Higher quality masks are easier to breath in.

• Like 2

The girls had their zoom recital on Saturday, so they are off lessons until fall unless we do some summer zoom lessons.  Zoom orchestra is also thankfully done with. I'm not sure what is going on with zoom cello.  I need to mail cello teacher a check once I find out.

Laundry is done.  Prolly should go get it out of the dryer.

• Like 3

Time for quarantweaking online recipes again. What do you think of boiling 3 russet potatoes, one carrot, one celery stalk in 4c chicken stock and pureeing, then adding dried onion, salt, pepper, a can of evaporated milk, and a packaged of diced, cooked bacon?

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Time for quarantweaking online recipes again. What do you think of boiling 3 russet potatoes, one carrot, one celery stalk in 4c chicken stock and pureeing, then adding dried onion, salt, pepper, a can of evaporated milk, and a packaged of diced, cooked bacon?

Why don't you try it and then I'll taste it for you?  😜

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Spudater said:

It was pretty good. Not a memorable soup but mild and comforting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Slache said:

The more traumatized they are the better they'll remember it.

That reminds me of this time I checked out this educational video to help Twilight Sparkle to learn to tell time. It had the world’s creepiest CGi cartoon clock in it. Like, this is the kind of thing you’d have playing in the background while you tortured and brainwashed someone. We’ll never know if it would have helped her learn because I was too creeped out and had to shut it off. 

Edited by Spudater
Creepy booyah!
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Don't shoot! I'm gonna EdPo, but only because I trust you guys and I'm sure most of you have already read these since you have children older than Oldest:

What's a good Civil War historical fiction book that isn't too bloody, graphic, or mature in content? I don't want to traumatize Oldest or give him nightmares.

The Perilous Road, Shades of Gray, Turn Homeward Hannalee, ...or something else?

I already vetoed Across Five April's, Rifles for Watie, and Homer P. Figg. 

40 Acres and maybe a mule?  That's Reconstruction.  Have you looked at The River Between Us?  It seems to me that one of my kids read that one.  Have you looked at the American Girl books or Dear America series?  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
49 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I haven't heard of the 40 acres one. I did look at The River Between Us but I think it was guided reading level Y and beyond Oldest's maturity. Haven't considered American Girl books (though I really know nothing about them) just because they are girl books. So far, I've got The Perilous Road picked but am having second thoughts so I might just see about checking it out through the library along with Turn Homeward Hannalee and read them myself first. I wish I could find something that tries to represent both the north and south equally without being too graphic/violent. Oldest is sensitive and also squeamish about blood. 

Maybe a biography of someone on each side?

• Like 2

I read a story about some people whose boat sank and they needed to be rescued. They said a cow fell from the sky and sank it but no one believed them. I wonder why.

Later some cattle thieves were caught. They put their cows on a plane but one went nuts so they dumped it out of their cargo hold.

I already can't tell when people are lying, I don't need these things added to the mix.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1
11 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Don't shoot! I'm gonna EdPo, but only because I trust you guys and I'm sure most of you have already read these since you have children older than Oldest:

What's a good Civil War historical fiction book that isn't too bloody, graphic, or mature in content? I don't want to traumatize Oldest or give him nightmares.

The Perilous Road, Shades of Gray, Turn Homeward Hannalee, ...or something else?

I already vetoed Across Five April's, Rifles for Watie, and Homer P. Figg. 

My oldest counts Rifles for Watie as a favorite, but he may have been a little older when he read it.  And he's not squeamish.  

8 hours ago, Spudater said:

Maybe a biography of someone on each side?

Great idea!  Servo, Do you have Lincoln:  A Photobiography ?  It's very good.    

• Like 1

Good morning!

Still waiting, Spudz?

How's Baby Link?

Dd21 got word yesterday that her summer nursing job is cancelled.  I think she is holding herself together for the time being while she finishes her last two finals this week and then will deal with it.  Now we can all go to the Grand Canyon this summer, except it's not open and I don't think I have it in me to plan another road trip.  

I need to get laundry put away and email cello teacher about the rest of the month and make a phone call.  

Coffee!

• Sad 3
4 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Still waiting, Spudz?

How's Baby Link?

Dd21 got word yesterday that her summer nursing job is cancelled.  I think she is holding herself together for the time being while she finishes her last two finals this week and then will deal with it.  Now we can all go to the Grand Canyon this summer, except it's not open and I don't think I have it in me to plan another road trip.  

I need to get laundry put away and email cello teacher about the rest of the month and make a phone call.  

Coffee!

(((DD21)))  I'm so sorry.  😢

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I have that one on my list for an earlier unit. Underground Railroad, I think. After looking at reviews, I'm still pretty sure The Perilous Road will be my best bet, but I'm going to read it ahead of time to make sure.

Not sure why, but I hadn't thought of this. I'll look into it and also check the primary source text toc to see if something like this is in there. Thank you!

I think ages ago I read about Lee in the Childhoods of Famous Americans series. Some bio of Lee I know I found moving...and I know my kids enjoyed that series, I think LL read them all for fun at one point. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Still waiting, Spudz?

How's Baby Link?

Coffee!

Yep. I was getting hopefullast night because I was having so much pressure with my contractions I thought surely I’m just going to pop like a water balloon and this baby is goingto come shootingout, but itpetered out when I went to bed. 

Sorry about your dd. 😞. It’s a hard time to be just starting out. 

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Day!!!

It’s a delightfully cool spring morning!! Chilly, in fact. Perfect sleeping weather. No trains went through town last night, so I didn’t get woken up, either.

School and work today. I made two phone calls yesterday. Svengo. The IEP went well. I’m on the team, so I have to be there, but I don’t really contribute, for reasons I cannot share in the interest of the student’s privacy.  It is interesting, though. I learn tons. Nothing much else going on. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Morning.  Today is my "busy" day.  Two algebra sessions, workout with older dd, TKD with younger dd.   I see a lot of the science center Tuesdays.  

I don't think I ever mentioned I started drinking bone broth with my tea again and it's doing amazing things for my ankle.   It appears I have ankle osteoarthritis, probably from a very bad sprain a couple years ago.  It was hurting pretty bad every morning when I got up, and whenever I sat for a while, and at random times of day.   I hadn't been drinking bone broth for a while because it had been hard to get and I wasn't trying the IF that it was good for and I didn't feel it worked.  But I decided to try it again with my ankle being so bad.  The difference is AMAZING.  I know this isn't exactly a scientific study but I literally changed nothing else, I"m being very active with dd so putting some strain on it.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Morning.  Today is my "busy" day.  Two algebra sessions, workout with older dd, TKD with younger dd.   I see a lot of the science center Tuesdays.  

I don't think I ever mentioned I started drinking bone broth with my tea again and it's doing amazing things for my ankle.   It appears I have ankle osteoarthritis, probably from a very bad sprain a couple years ago.  It was hurting pretty bad every morning when I got up, and whenever I sat for a while, and at random times of day.   I hadn't been drinking bone broth for a while because it had been hard to get and I wasn't trying the IF that it was good for and I didn't feel it worked.  But I decided to try it again with my ankle being so bad.  The difference is AMAZING.  I know this isn't exactly a scientific study but I literally changed nothing else, I"m being very active with dd so putting some strain on it.  

That's wonderful!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I haven't heard of the 40 acres one. I did look at The River Between Us but I think it was guided reading level Y and beyond Oldest's maturity. Haven't considered American Girl books (though I really know nothing about them) just because they are girl books. So far, I've got The Perilous Road picked but am having second thoughts so I might just see about checking it out through the library along with Turn Homeward Hannalee and read them myself first. I wish I could find something that tries to represent both the north and south equally without being too graphic/violent. Oldest is sensitive and also squeamish about blood. 

Re: American Girl/Dear America - I have a friend with 5 boys and they all loved the American Girl history books.  I haven't read them myself, but am assuming they will be historically accurate but not intense.  

We live in a county with a really good library system, so I usually just go looking through the shelves.  It's much harder when you have to pick out books to purchase!  (Abebooks.com is my favorite resource for buying books - a $3 dud is much easier to swallow than a $15 dud.)

• Like 2
Just now, Susan in TN said:

How is FIL?  Does he need special care?

He's asymptomatic. He has a caregiver 3X a week but since MIL can't work they cancelled. MIL is a caregiver but the law won't let a spouse care for a spouse and get paid.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Slache said:

MIL and FIL have the plague.

48 minutes ago, Slache said:

He's asymptomatic. He has a caregiver 3X a week but since MIL can't work they cancelled. MIL is a caregiver but the law won't let a spouse care for a spouse and get paid.

As in Covid??  I suppose they will isolate from SIL and Link?  When did they find out?  Have they already exposed SIL and Link?  Wait, do you believe them?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

As in Covid??  I suppose they will isolate from SIL and Link?  When did they find out?  Have they already exposed SIL and Link?  Wait, do you believe them?  

Yes, Covid. SIL's work from home setup is at their house so no. Found out this morning because FIL was tested before a procedure. SIL has been exposed because of the work thing, but no one goes to visit Link so he either got it in the womb or doesn't have it.

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yes, Covid. SIL's work from home setup is at their house so no. Found out this morning because FIL was tested before a procedure. SIL has been exposed because of the work thing, but no one goes to visit Link so he either got it in the womb or doesn't have it.

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

And you can get it in the womb.

So are they testing SIL and Link now?

13 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

So are they testing SIL and Link now?

I think SIL, then if she's positive him? They need to test him immediately, but it doesn't seem to be a priority.

I'm pretty much done with revisions on the Ukulele sing-along booklet.  Except I heard a Fleetwood Mac song this morning that sounded like it would be fun to add.  Can't remember what it was... 

• Like 2

Just got word that my dear Aunt Phyllis just passed away.  She was 95.  She was quite a character and frugal and would tear napkins in half "because nobody needs a whole napkin!"  😄  The road trip my family took (about 1984?) from MN to visit her in Pasadena is one of my favorite memories.  The Incredible Flatness that is Nebraska and then the long approach to the Rockies.  We stayed over night in a motel in a little town that I always thought was in Wyoming, but might have been CO - there was a rodeo being held in the town and my parents asked if we wanted to go and I said "no".  !?! What was WRONG with me?  I was an idiot.  We watched "A Thoroughly Modern Millie" in the motel instead.  I'd never been to the mountains or a desert before and was amazed at the heat coming through the soles of my sneakers from the blacktop.  In California I saw (and swam in) the ocean for the first time and we went to Universal Studios and Knotts BerryFarm.  

If you are so inclined, can you pray for my mom and her remaining sister and (3) brothers, who have lost a brother and a sister in the past couple weeks.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5