Menu

What's with the ads?

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I don't think the fears are unfounded. I feel like half of my threads have turned into people telling me what I do wrong. "Teach the child you have" is not a common thread here, in my experience.

I agree.  

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Phone blip. 

I’m curious about Mosdos. Gonna go look it up in a bit. Thing is I haven’t taught literature before so I feel I need the TM, wkbk, the whole package. The Girl hates reading so is 4th a good place to start?

I haven't used the Teachers guide but everything I've seen about it says it's overwhelmingly complete.  Way too much information and options.   When we had the workbook, I'd have them read the story and then there were enough workbook pages for them to do 2 pages every single day for a week with some left over.    The textbook has questions of various types at the end of each story and those are plenty for us now because I don't feel like they need the vocabulary and copywork type stuff of the workbook.    I like that each story discusses some aspect of literary analysis or genre or something, then the story includes vocabulary definitions right at the bottom of the page if they need it, then the questions are a mix of comprehension "what happened in the story" type, then some general about the genre, some more thought-provoking ones, and a longer writing assignment.  I still do one story a week at least for the short story section.  Poetry may go faster.

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Especially if your kid is ‘behind’. He’s 15 and still  doing elementary maths?!? Shock and horror! Did you fail to see he is ASD?  Or my gifted  kid that we didn’t push. Why isn’t he doing calculus at 14? Cause he didn’t want to. Not teaching Latin or Greek?!? How can you call yourself a WTM follower? It’s enough to really  make you feel like a failure.

Anyway— MORNING ITT!! I’m lazing in bed with Captain who is watching Stinky Dirty on Amazon. He’s watched the 4 seasons enough to memorize them. Scotsman took the other kids to clean the Church. The Girl has practice there at 10 for the special kids’ presentation during our main meeting tomorrow.

Gotta clean bathrooms, do Costco, and finish laundry today. Everyone wants their bedding washed to clean off the sick germs.

Quiet Boy wants to go to The Homeschool Store to look at possible books. Online samples aren’t enough. I promised him after we would go to Sweet Tomatoes. Yum!!

I need to buy ASD Boy the next Wordly Wise book, too. I’m really on the fence on doing that, which I feel is busy work but he likes, or buying Word Roots by Critical Thinking. I’m not expecting long-term retention or anything. Opinions? VFCR is not a fit for him. And a writing workbook is the other need.

Dinner will be orange chicken and rice.

Good luck to belt testers today! You can do it! 

And as we all recently found out, God help you if you decide to use an online program or outsource classes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I guess I felt the fears were unfounded because I'm rarely on the other boards anymore, and ignore anything that doesn't vibe with what I believe. I have so little brain matter left, anything not worthy of the little I have left is easily forgotten. I'm sorry you all have those experiences (and remember them, that hurts). 

This siggy is for Servant - take notes! There may be a quiz later (for 1.5 squillion points). I kinda sorta do this stuff.

Bilingual homeschooler

Dancer - 2018 Homeschool graduate with biliteracy seal
Gymnast - 2019-20 3rd grade

• Part-time public school tutorial class  
  • Math - Singapore; Mundo Matematico
  • Reading in English (Sonlight readers), Spanish (La Pata Pita Vuelve), and beginning Chinese
  • AAS 1 & 2;  Spanish spelling (alternating trimesters)
  • Grammar - Spanish text
  • Science - Spanish text; STEM baking
  • History/Social studies - Legacy Kits - African American history; Spanish text
  • Cooking - Kids Can Cook
  • Suzuki violin  
  • Chinese with Lingo Bus (referral link) and Sunday Chinese school 
  •  

Author of "28 Days to Family Language Learning: A step-by-step guide and journal"
Co-author of Amazon #1 Best Seller in 3 categories: "African American Homeschooling Mompreneurs"
Follow me on Facebook for up-to-date information on language learning in the home and current Spanish classes: https://www.facebook.com/AdelanteSpanishforAll/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

IAnd as we all recently found out, God help you if you decide to use an online program or outsource classes.  

What? Why?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I also don't put curriculum in my siggy because I fear judging or shaming for what we do and what level we are at. Or that we are not doing enough or the 'wrong' subjects or misisng subjects.

This is why I never cook for other people before I ask if they have any food allergies/sensitivities/serious gag foods. The most extreme was a girl who had PKU. She carried a list of safe foods.

Well, that's just silly! We are nice. This is a safe place. Not like we need to see their medical records or anything.

No!! Now I need to go find this. I just ordered for The Girl!

Yes. I don't need others to question and critique my choices. I can do that all on my own. When I want advice, I have no problem asking.

Me too. It only took one time for me figure this out. It will NEVER happen again.

Mine would be simple. Married to my best friend, DS 8 and DS 1. See? Pretty basic.

Sorry. I didn't mean to alarm you. We're still using their reading, math and LA but I may ditch the reading, too, after this year. I'm noticing some teachings that just don't line up with how we interpret the Bible.

17 minutes ago, Renai said:

I guess I felt the fears were unfounded because I'm rarely on the other boards anymore, and ignore anything that doesn't vibe with what I believe. I have so little brain matter left, anything not worthy of the little I have left is easily forgotten. I'm sorry you all have those experiences (and remember them, that hurts). 

This siggy is for Servant - take notes! There may be a quiz later (for 1.5 squillion points). I kinda sorta do this stuff.

Bilingual homeschooler

Dancer - 2018 Homeschool graduate with biliteracy seal
Gymnast - 2019-20 3rd grade

• Part-time public school tutorial class  
  • Math - Singapore; Mundo Matematico
  • Reading in English (Sonlight readers), Spanish (La Pata Pita Vuelve), and beginning Chinese
  • AAS 1 & 2;  Spanish spelling (alternating trimesters)
  • Grammar - Spanish text
  • Science - Spanish text; STEM baking
  • History/Social studies - Legacy Kits - African American history; Spanish text
  • Cooking - Kids Can Cook
  • Suzuki violin  
  • Chinese with Lingo Bus (referral link) and Sunday Chinese school 
  •  

Author of "28 Days to Family Language Learning: A step-by-step guide and journal"
Co-author of Amazon #1 Best Seller in 3 categories: "African American Homeschooling Mompreneurs"
Follow me on Facebook for up-to-date information on language learning in the home and current Spanish classes: https://www.facebook.com/AdelanteSpanishforAll/

Wow! A siggy really has room for that much info for every person?! No wonder I can't see them. They'd take up my whole screen!

<jawdrop> Feels like a curtain just lifted on a game show. Ta-da! Renai is Super Woman! 🏆

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Wow! A siggy really has room for that much info for every person?! No wonder I can't see them. They'd take up my whole screen!

<jawdrop> Feels like a curtain just lifted on a game show. Ta-da! Renai is Super Woman! 🏆

I'm telling you, it's more for me than anyone else. I check it periodically to see if I'm doing what I thought I should be...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

I'm telling you, it's more for me than anyone else. I check it periodically to see if I'm doing what I thought I should be...

And for me. I like to see what Renai is doing. I sometimes harass her to update.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Here's mine. I think it's handy to see the sort of things people use in case I might want to use them, too. #shiny  We're not necessarily going at the kind of pace some people do and not necessarily definitely not doing everything with each resource.

Sixth grade (2019-2020): Math Mammoth 6, Oak Meadow English 6 (Caveat emptor!) and Ancient Civilizations & online spelling from MBtP, Holt's Modern Biology, Homeschool Spanish Academy 1B, Big Book of Lively Latin, scouting, drums, spring track.

Getting ready for a storm? I share my checklists as a Google Sheet.
November exercise plan: 2 sessions (of 6) completed.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Slache said:

What? Why?

Long thread last week that Paradox started asking about the change to Calvert (I think?).  It went off track pretty fast and people were pretty disdainful about online schools and outsourcing.  Basically only done if you were super lazy and wanted your kids to teach themselves while you sat around eating bon-bons. 

• Like 4

My signature:

Jean

Mom to:
Tech Support (22)
Events Planner (17)

Neko cat (11), Rusty "Meatloaf" rabbit (4); Aria rabbit (2);  Juliet "Jaws" puppy (1)
"Education is a life" - Charlotte MasonIlluminati Thread Trooper

• Like 3

FWIW, no one on wtm has EVER critiqued or criticised my curriculum choices.  They only comment if I ask.  I have never felt judged.  Or maybe I have and was oblivious?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Long thread last week that Paradox started asking about the change to Calvert (I think?).  It went off track pretty fast and people were pretty disdainful about online schools and outsourcing.  Basically only done if you were super lazy and wanted your kids to teach themselves while you sat around eating bon-bons. 

I wanna sit around and eat bon-bons!

1 minute ago, myblessings4 said:

FWIW, no one on wtm has EVER critiqued or criticised my curriculum choices.  They only comment if I ask.  I have never felt judged.  Or maybe I have and was oblivious?

Yes.

• Like 3

I have never felt judged for my curriculum choices.  But then I tend to ask very specific questions about subjects.  Or I ask for ideas and then evaluate them and choose from the privacy of my own home.  Ie. . I don't engage in critiquing their suggestions either because it bugs me no end when someone asks for suggestions and then shoots down every one.  I don't care if they don't use the suggestions but at least have the courtesy to say thank you and don't shoot them down. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Same. On all counts. I'm voting oblivious, and conveniently forgetting.

I mean, when I went to the high school board for my 12th (or 11lth) grader saying I wanted to drop chemistry because she'd been working on it for a year and was only halfway through (Apologia), I got a bunch of support. I was told to drop it, give her a credit since it's based on time, and gave me suggestions for kitchen chemistry. They were mostly homeschoolers that had been around the block for a while already, and had graduated (or close to) at least one. Are the criticizers mostly younger homeschoolers? It comes up sometimes that some people are just fanatical about their own choices. It's one of the reasons I was told the Bible tells younger women to commune with the older.  

Not everyone is Mensa-level, and I'm not going to (can't) push mine to be. I can totally work with them where they're at.  (It is totally ok that "at" is at the end of that sentence.)

Edited by Renai
Slash felt the need to correct my homophone error via text and laugh at me. See what I mean about younger ...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Renai said:

I never would've thought to use a siggy as an accountability partner! That's awesome!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Renai said:

Same. On all counts. I'm voting oblivious, and conveniently forgetting.

I mean, when I went to the high school board for my 12th (or 11lth) grader saying I wanted to drop chemistry because she'd been working on it for a year and was only halfway through (Apologia), I got a bunch of support. I was told to drop it, give her a credit since it's based on time, and gave me suggestions for kitchen chemistry. They were mostly homeschoolers that had been around the block for a while already, and had graduated (or close to) at least one. Are the criticizers mostly younger homeschoolers? It comes up sometimes that some people are just fanatical about their own choices. It's one of the reasons I was told the Bible tells younger women to commune with the older.  

Not everyone is Mensa-level, and I'm not going to (can't) push mine to be. I can totally work with them where their at.  (It is totally ok that "at" is at the end of that sentence.)

I think that part of the problem is that some of us, ahem, tend to offer up too much information. More more information you offer, the more there is to critique.

Some of us are working on this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, it was 11th grade: 

In looking for this post, I saw how very little I post topics. There were only two pages. On the other hand, there are 492 pages of responses, or something like that...

• Like 2

Here's my signature.  Some of the materials are from last year and haven't been updated.

Benevolent Dictator

Makes Molly Weasley and Chuck Norris Eat Their Vegetables.

High School & College Graduate #1, Makin' your way in the world today takes everything you've got...

High School Graduate #2, Junior nursing major at University in the fall

Homeschooling 11th, 9th, 7th, & 5th

Using SOTW 2, Streams of Civilization 2, Rod & Staff English, ETC, VfCR, Reasoning & Reading, Writing & Rhetoric, TT Geometry/Algebra II, Algebra I, Math 7, & Math 5; Fallacy Detective, Thinking Toolbox, Rainbow Science, Drawing and informal picture study, DIY medieval madrigals and rounds; tutorial for 11th grade physics, British Lit, ukulele, & art; 9th grade biology, Spanish 1, American Lit, American Govt. & economics.

I know how the story ends.  Job 19:25

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Me too.  Makes me think I should get busy.

It was a great beat to wash dishes to because I couldn't watch without worrying someone was gonna slip and go overboard. Youngest started dancing and clapping his hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I ever do create a siggy, I'll make sure to add a disclaimer that says, "I most likely cannot see your siggy so please be patient with me if I ask a question that most can see the answer to right on their screen.

Edited by Servant4Christ

6 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

If I ever do create a siggy, I'll make sure to add a disclaimer that says, "I most likely cannot see your siggy so please be patient with me if I ask a question that most can see the answer to right on their screen.

No. It's common.

Orchestral rock/pop is my favorite thing. I thought The Piano Guys were a one of a kind thing when I came across them. Now it's pretty much the only genre I listen to.

• Like 3

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine."

Ludwig van Beethoven

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

Orchestral rock/pop is my favorite thing. I thought The Piano Guys were a one of a kind thing when I came across them. Now it's pretty much the only genre I listen to.

I like all that and the hip hop violin dudes, too.

We can't look at any violin player anymore without commenting on their bow tip and straight violin wrist. (Gymnast knows the latter as "wall hand," or "not the pizza hand.")

Her favorite violin player is Lindsey Stirling.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Renai said:

I have no idea how she found her. ???

She is very popular and has been on talk shows and stuff. She randomly showed up in my YouTube suggestions (Roundtable Revival) and I was hooked.

• Like 1

Slash, the comments on the that last video though, 😂😂😂😂😂😂. "Their accurate name 61 cellos, 90 violins, 43 violas, and a cheeky drummer"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Renai said:

Slash, the comments on the that last video though, 😂😂😂😂😂😂. "Their accurate name 61 cellos, 90 violins, 43 violas, and a cheeky drummer"

Truth!

I thought they were brothers. Apparently they were rivals in a competition who decided they go better together than apart.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Slache said:

This is Lindsey if anyone cares:

They should be in kilts, not cowboy boots. Cowboys ride horses and try to ride bulls for at least 8 seconds. Your music people make me feel all Lord of the Dance and stuff.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

They should be in kilts, not cowboy boots. Cowboys ride horses and try to ride bulls for at least 8 seconds. Your music people make me feel all Lord of the Dance and stuff.

Why kilts?

In case anyone is wondering, yes, the first time Renai and I talked about Lindsey she told me that Gymnast dances around like that when she plays Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

In case anyone is wondering, yes, the first time Renai and I talked about Lindsey she told me that Gymnast dances around like that when she plays Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Oh, my goodness, I remember that! 😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renai said:

Oh, my goodness, I remember that! 😂😂😂😂😂

Does she not do that anymore? Make her keep doing it.

• Haha 2