Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 minute ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Totally what I'm naming Cheeto.

Paradox, for what it's worth, I didn't understand Miquon, and neither did any of my kids. I bought and gave away the whole set twice. We do play with the rods, and the website Slache linked above is really good. Captain will be a fine mathematician.

Cheeto's still in there.

Jump up and down.

10 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Does this mean you had all c-sections? Can you tell me about that? There's a real possibility this will be my future on Tuesday.

Yep. I've heard recovery is worse. I can't comment to that but I have no complaints. Like, I was tired and very week in the abdomen for a few days? Duh? Will Dave be home for a while? You'll be stupid (high) and weak for about 3 days.

You're numbed for the surgery and given pain management afterward but in my experience the pain management doesn't effect the skin so ask about topical treatment right off the bat so you don't have to wait.

Having a catheter sucks. It's short-term though. Very short.

I don't know. 1 in 4 are born that way now. They're good at it.

15 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Does this mean you had all c-sections? Can you tell me about that? There's a real possibility this will be my future on Tuesday.

You didn't ask me but I had two c-sections - one emergency in the middle of the night and one scheduled but I actually went into labor for the first time so it was bumped up three days.

Recovery wasn't that much worse than my "natural" birth (which was induced, had a half failed epidural and forceps).  Main things were to start moving as soon as they let you, and hold a pillow over your incision when getting up.   I can't take any narcotics or prescription pain medications without puking, but I only needed Advil for about two days and then was fine without it.   At my hospital, they also gave something to help avoid constipation, which also helped a whole lot.  

After my second one I decided to go home two days before I had to (I only stayed one night).   

• Like 1

It was a good day.  The Children's Choir concert was amazing and had me in a puddle of tears.  Dd17 made it into mid-state orchestra for the first time in a few years (and she placed very well!) and we are so happy for her.  She struggles with anxiety and nerves and because her tendons/ligaments are crazy, any nervous muscle tension makes it hard to function at all, so this was a particularly special achievement for her.  The kids are at a youth group Christmas party.  I'm ready to hit the sack.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

This is helpful and reassuring. Thank you.

This is, too. Thank you.

Did having a c-section/taking medication afterward interfere with nursing?

Not at all in my case.  With ds, the whole induction creme mentioned up above, combined with the pitocin resulted in my blood pressure taking a drastic drop (again, we realized after the fact that this was similar to what happened with my oldest and evidently I don't react well to these medications), I kept passing out, they lost his heartbeat, rushing into the OR in the middle of the night.   I was in and out, hardly realized what was happening.   Even given all that, I was able to nurse without a problem later on that first day.  

With dd, I basically nursed her as soon as I was out of the OR, which was a little bit longer than usual since I had my tubes tied at the same time.  

On 12/6/2019 at 8:02 PM, Paradox5 said:

Maths question: Are Cuisnere rods and MUS blocks essentially the same except for the lines on the MUS blocks? 

No. Cuisenaire rods are sized for one another and pretty much only good for Miquon (or math with that philosophy, since they're not for counting). MUS blocks are cubic something (I think) and interchangeable with any base 10 blocks.

17 hours ago, Slache said:

Hi.

Sup.

16 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Morning

Sup.

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

So how are they not the same cause they look about the same to me. I figure they can be used the same.

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I never understood how to use the rods or what to do with them. Would you mind pointing me to some books, etc? I know about Miquon but could not understand it. Discovery math wasn’t something we tried.

ADDING: I want to read Liping Ma’s book but cannot find which version to buy. Amazon has several different editions. My library system has none. Can I borrow a copy from someone? 

We never understood them either.

8 hours ago, whitehawk said:

The Miquon books are really obvious & nearly all intuitive IMO. You might just buy the first workbook (~$7?) and a set of c-rods and play with it. It's about getting to know quantity. I do not recommend the teacher books for one-on-one instruction.

We must not have been very intuitive. I didn't get it after the first few pages, and neither did my oldest. I bought them again for my youngest, but she never got into them. She doesn't seem to like manipulatives much in general. Singapore worked(s) with both of my girls. Completely different philosophy I guess.

7 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Totally what I'm naming Cheeto.

Paradox, for what it's worth, I didn't understand Miquon, and neither did any of my kids. I bought and gave away the whole set twice. We do play with the rods, and the website Slache linked above is really good. Captain will be a fine mathematician.

Cheeto's still in there.

Glad I'm not alone in not getting it.

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm with you. The last thing I was thinking about when I met DH, was how big our babies might be. I was too caught up in how in how manly, smart, and well mannered he was.

See, the opposite happened with me. First was a tiny baby (it was an assault, guy 6'2, thin), then the second was with my shorty dh, not broad or anything, and had an almost 9lber. Go figure.

5 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

My first was a section. Slash mentioned being numb. This includes your insides. Go pee every hour when you're cleared to get up because you won't feel the need until the urge is RIGHT THERE, and you'll want to run but won't be able to. True story.

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

I woke up with a pretty bad headache this morning, so I am planning to attend First Church of the Livestream.  I was iffy about going until I realized that I was flinching from the sound of dh tying his tie.  I figured if such a small sound was bothering me, going to church was probably not the best option.

Praying for you, Bookie, and for your Little Cheeto.

Edited by Junie
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Renai said:

No. Cuisenaire rods are sized for one another and pretty much only good for Miquon (or math with that philosophy, since they're not for counting). MUS blocks are cubic something (I think) and interchangeable with any base 10 blocks.

It's the opposite--Cuisenaire rods are based on a cubic centimeter unit, which is what most base ten blocks are based on.

MUS isn't cubic anything that I can tell, bigger than centimeters and smaller than inches, only compatible with itself.

I played with Cuisenaire rods as kid and have always used them in my head as a reference for how long a centimeter or ten centimeters is (the white unit blocks are one centimeter, the orange ten rods are ten centimeters). It's very useful, like knowing that a dollar bill is six inches long.

• Thanks 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Sunday!!!!

It’s 6:00am. I have to be at church in an hour.  We are playing in 2 services, then getting in a touring bus and driving up to Kings Canyon National Park for the Nation’s Christmas Tree ceremony. Then, back home to hopefully make it to most of the Sunday School Christmas Program. Middle DD is going to be an angel. And it’s raining, likely snowing in the mountains.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today is such a classical homeschool scene, it's ridiculous. Mom is working on schedules. One boy just went through his history assignment for the year, then settled down to play a computer game for himself. The other has parked himself on my bed and is watching a documentary on the American Revolution that he requested I bring home from the library yesterday. There's books and papers everywhere. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

SIL says she's losing 2 pounds a week. I think she's beginning her second trimester. Prayers appreciated.

I always lose weight in the first half of pregnancy, though not two pounds a week. Is she vomiting a lot? If so has she tried medication to control the nausea?

7 hours ago, maize said:

It's the opposite--Cuisenaire rods are based on a cubic centimeter unit, which is what most base ten blocks are based on.

MUS isn't cubic anything that I can tell, bigger than centimeters and smaller than inches, only compatible with itself.

I played with Cuisenaire rods as kid and have always used them in my head as a reference for how long a centimeter or ten centimeters is (the white unit blocks are one centimeter, the orange ten rods are ten centimeters). It's very useful, like knowing that a dollar bill is six inches long.

Oy. Yes, this. Here's a post where someone took a picture of them side-by-side. You can see the difference in size: 

In other unrelated news, Maize, I was just talking about you the other day. It had something to do with who I'd drop my kid off with for a week, and I thought of you and your kernels. 😄 Gymnast would have a blast. You wouldn't even notice she was there. 🤔😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maize said:

I always lose weight in the first half of pregnancy, though not two pounds a week. Is she vomiting a lot? If so has she tried medication to control the nausea?

I don't know. She doesn't talk to us, just posts on Facebook. There is a reason I said she says she's losing 2 pounds a week...

31 minutes ago, Renai said:

Oy. Yes, this. Here's a post where someone took a picture of them side-by-side. You can see the difference in size: 

In other unrelated news, Maize, I was just talking about you the other day. It had something to do with who I'd drop my kid off with for a week, and I thought of you and your kernels. 😄 Gymnast would have a blast. You wouldn't even notice she was there. 🤔😆

Yes! We would love to have Gymnast come hang out for a week! We've even got a couple of extra seats in the van, she could come do All The Things with us 🙂

as for math manipulative, we have Math-U-See blocks AND C-rods AND base ten blocks... So I vote for all of the above. Mostly as toys. My kids like making "cakes" with the math-u-see blocks.

Edited by maize
  • Thanks 1

Although Amazon prices have gone up, the good news is I was able to turn in my receipt points for Amazon gift cards, and that more than makes up for price increases. If I hadn't been so lazy uploading receipts, I would have had at least double the amount I got ($25 this year, I had more last year...).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I made Paradox's Gram's Pennsylvania Dutch Chocolate Cake. I'm waiting for it to cool so I can dust it with powdered sugar and EAT IT! It smells amazing. I wish you were at my house right now. It's intoxicating.

Next project will be Critter's Rice Pudding, but that will have to wait until post-Cheeto.

20191208_172023.jpg

I like your knife stand!

ETA this Booyah brought to you by Bookie's beautiful cake!

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I should probably get them professionally sharpened, but the closest place that does it is 45 minutes away.

I didn't know there were places that will sharpen your knives for you, I try to do it myself and am not very good at it. I just checked and there is a kitchen store with a knife sharpening service just a couple of miles from me.

This could be life changing!

I also found there are places you can ship your knives to and have them shipped back if there is no service nearby.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Thank you. 🥰 Dave bought it for me when we bought our house five years ago. I think he got it on Amazon.

I should probably get them professionally sharpened, but the closest place that does it is 45 minutes away.

There's a dude that travels and sharpens knives. He comes in and leaves his sign up saying what dates he'll be at whatever location - usually Joans or the local food coop. I still haven't contacted him and I lost his number. Sigh.

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

So Scotsman found an article this morning about intermittant fasting and wants to try it. Y'all have any tips for him? He thinks this way he won't need to exercise. His idea is to eat first at 8:30 (an egg/sausage croissant or something else high protein) then not eat again until dinner around 5:30/6. His last eating would be 7/7:30. I pointed out that means giving up pot pies, apple juice, and chocolate snackies at work.

If I miss a meal, I get lightheaded and start to see spots. Fasting is not something my body handles well.

EDPO: (but math is fascinating!)

I appreciate all the thoughts on C-rods vs MUS. That picture says it all. It makes no sense that the MUS blocks aren;t any standard measure.

Renai and Bookie-- Which "brand" of Singapore to you use? How do you line up all the extra resources "they" say you need to use in order to get the most out of the program. Where do you buy your manipulatives to do the conceptual work? Anyone looked at SIngapore Math Live? https://www.singaporemathlive.com Is it a class for the kid or parent training? That bit isn't clear from the website. She does work all the word probems, IP and CWP. I tried Primary and Standards with the other kids but could never get any traction. I often wonder if it was because mine always placed so low to start out with that it was too boring for us all. Math in Focus appeals to me the most, but my local store has scads of used Primary. To be fair, he has quite a bit of the MiF textbooks used, too. I do not believe just using the books alone is the way to get the benefits of Singapore method. All the hands-on is in the TMs, regardless of which version is used.

@Slache can talk more on intermittent fasting.

I use primary - just the text and workbook. If I need manipulatives to illustrate something, I'll use what I have on hand. Dancer needed that more than Gymnast. Gymnast prefers I show her by writing things down. She's weird. I make her use manipulatives though if I feel she really isn't grasping it. I've purchased the HIG before with Dancer, but then never used it. Maybe I'll get it again when I hit 4a to see if it helps. So, I don't use Singapore "correctly" either. The HIGs didn't even exist when I started out with Dancer.

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Uploading receipts for Amazon GCs? Please, tell me MORE!!!

You can earn points for uploading receipts, then trade in those points for paypal or various gift cards. I opt for Amazon since that is where the bulk of my purchases are from. There are many options available depending on the company - restaurants, retailers, etc.. So, what companies? (Yes, these are referral links, so if you decide to use them, we both get bonus points)

The two I cashed out this year are:

1. Fetch Rewards https://fetchrewards.onelink.me/vvv3/referralsocial?code=V6UWP . I like this one because it automatically applies extra points for specific products without you doing the extra work. I just scanned a receipt my husband had, and it picked up Cheetos and added an extra 25 points to the balance (besides the points for just uploading the receipt).

2. Receipt Hog - there is no referral code, but you get on points depending on the dollar amount.

3. Last year, I also cashed out Ibotta. There are chances for extra dollars (this does money, not points!) when you are on a team and reach certain goals.  https://ibotta.com/r/lmsyqgh

4. I also cashed out Checkout 51 last year, but then quit because it seemed like too much work. It also rewards money instead of points, but for particular products. But, sometimes the products will be "any cheese" or "any tomatoes." I just redownloaded it and it seems it works more like Fetch Rewards now in that it picks out products from your receipts: https://checkout51.app.link/1W0WxITZc2

Someone introduced me to two more a week ago:

5. Receipt Pal is points: https://app.adjust.com/oqlq9t9?label=5KTQENPK

6. Coin Out: no referral, but you are earning cents for each receipt you upload.

• Like 1

Other than the three kids who are in bed, everyone is being productive (except me).

Dh is grading math homework for a college class he teaches.

Dd17 is making a colored pencil sketch of her cousin.

Dd15 is hemming the dress she made for herself.

And me?  I'm eating chocolate and watching youtube.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day! :laugh:

Praying for you today, Bookie!

We are hoping they can finish repairing the van today, though we have transportation worked out if not.  However, we will have to insist that traffic be more or less normal for the time of day.  Even with the rain, which somehow makes driving safely a difficult and confusing endevour for many.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good morning!

I need to make muffins or pancakes or something for breakfast, we're out of bread and cheese and yogurt and milk, the kind of stuff that people can just grab for themselves (what we mostly do for breakfast).

I think I hear ds14 unloading the dishwasher upstairs.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I made Paradox's Gram's Pennsylvania Dutch Chocolate Cake. I'm waiting for it to cool so I can dust it with powdered sugar and EAT IT! It smells amazing. I wish you were at my house right now. It's intoxicating.

Next project will be Critter's Rice Pudding, but that will have to wait until post-Cheeto.

20191208_172023.jpg

Yeah, but those knives!

15 hours ago, maize said:

I like your knife stand!

ETA this Booyah brought to you by Bookie's beautiful cake!

That's what I was going to say!!

• Like 3