Menu

Ignore this thread!

9 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

I'm looking for a book about constellations for Oldest. Maybe a field guide of all the constellations grouped according to the season you can see them? Does this exist? Christian or neutral in content preferred. I don't want him reading a ton on mythology and false gods at this age because it's too easy to fall into hero worship when things sound cool.

I'm using Memoria Press astronomy. Look at some star maps.

• Like 2

Good morning!

Go Cheeto, go!  You can do it, baby!

Things to do today.  Dd17 and ds15 have a tutorial Christmas party and while they are at that I will continue my frantic search for a black dress shirt for ds15.  Then a road trip this afternoon to drop ds15 off at his cello lesson and then continue into the Big City to play in a Christmas concert at the University.  Dh will pick up ds15 from the lesson and, if instructions have been followed, dinner will be ready when they get home.  

Coffee!

It's a Go Cheeto Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends
Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps
But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in
That what seems a little nuts might actually save me
From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!

School & Work & Bells. We’re gearing up for a huge bell ringing weekend. Sunday we play both services and then we pack up and get on a charter bus that will take us to Grant’s Grove in King’s Canyon National Park where we play for the Nation’s Christmas Tree ceremony. That night is the Children’s Christmas Program at church, too. I hope they get us home in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

How have I lost two books? Famous Men of Greece and The Lightning Thief are both SOMEWHERE. 😠

You can have one of mine (Famous Men of Greece). I believe I have several copies laying around somewhere.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

The national Christmas tree came from our state this year. We were going to go see it as it stopped into the mall a couple of miles away, but in the end, I was tired and it was cold, and...oh yeah, they changed the tour time to 45 minutes later and that was Gymnast's group violin practice time. Oh, well.

It was interesting there was a little controversy. When the tree came from anywhere else, the comments were all about how beautiful it was, etc. When the tree came from here, all of a sudden there was concern about how such an old treasure could be cut down and removed from its home. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I want my tamales!

And some enchiladas!

And some of Susan's shrimp tacos!!! Mmm

There's more. I know what they look like and taste like, but I can't pronounce them, let alone spell them.

I want Mexican food. Real Mexican food.

Jeeves! Call someone and get the ITT jet up and running! It's time for a quick trip to Mexico! I need to be there in time for lunch and back home in time to cook dinner!

I'm going to bed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I was getting ready to say, "Go to bed, Slachie!" since you seem to be one of the fortunate ones who actually get the opportunity to second sleep. I had just decided to go pick on Oldest, but then Youngest distracted me by being silly and licking my face! 😂

Oh, not this late! Sometimes I go back to bed at 6 and John wakes me up at breakfast.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I want my tamales!

And some enchiladas!

And some of Susan's shrimp tacos!!! Mmm

There's more. I know what they look like and taste like, but I can't pronounce them, let alone spell them.

I want Mexican food. Real Mexican food.

Jeeves! Call someone and get the ITT jet up and running! It's time for a quick trip to Mexico! I need to be there in time for lunch and back home in time to cook dinner!

Or you can visit my house. We make Mexican food. Except tamales. My dh's aunt, who lives an hour away, allows no one in the kitchen when she's making them. I did sneak in last Christmas, and she wound up telling me a few things that I've since forgotten, about the art of tamale-making... She makes so many, she mixes the chile in a concrete bucket (that size, not an actual concrete bucket), using a mixer that is basically the mixing spoon attached to her husband's electric drill.

What do the other foods look like?

50 minutes ago, Slache said:

Oh, not this late! Sometimes I go back to bed at 6 and John wakes me up at breakfast.

Same. Except, the past couple of days, I decided to try a 6am shift (conversational ESL) to see how busy that time is. Verdict: not much. Best to go back to bed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Just looked at some previews. Night Sky looks like information overload and Finding the Constellations looks too childish for Oldest's taste. So now we're down to either Seeing Stars or The Stars.

I like the look of the first one best.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Two words for the next time she's cooking: NANNY CAM! 😂

I think the other was called chile rienne or something like that. Looks like a stuffed pepper and is oh so yummy. I also love the white cheese sauce with tortilla chips that I used to get at a restaurant I remember from childhood. Oh, and any authentic salsa that I can actually taste, not breathe fire afterwards. 🤣

Ah, yes. Chile relleno. We make it often. "Relleno" means "stuffed", so yes, a stuffed pepper, but using hatch or other green chile (not bell pepper, but not jalapenos either) and stuffed with cheese (usually). I heard the most common pepper to use is poblano, but we use, and every restaurant in our area that I've seen uses Hatch or Anaheim. Anaheim are pretty mild, but Hatch can range in heat.

Dh likes chile so hot (sometimes) that he's turning red and crying real tears. He's even had pretty hard hiccups with really hot chiles. I, um, don't like them that hot. I mean, I like to taste some spice, and peppers that remind me of lettuce makes me mad, but I'm a big believer in middle-of-the-road, lol!😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ok. I have these as possible contenders:

Seeing Stars: A Complete Guide to the 88 Constellations https://www.amazon.com/dp/0714877727/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_77v6Db3V4EPJQ

Night Sky - A Field Guide to the Constellations https://www.amazon.com/dp/1591932297/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6hv6Db2C5C6G9

The Stars: A New Way to See Them https://www.amazon.com/dp/0544763432/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Lxv6DbR61HZKS

Find the Constellations https://www.amazon.com/dp/0544763009/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5xv6DbDD0RR79

None of these are available in our library system for me to preview. Anyone have experience with any of these? Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Update: I have also posted in the K-8 forum for more feedback.

We have the last one by Rey and like it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, maize said:

Today's chauffeuring report:

Five children to dance/acro classes

Four children to karate

One child to tumbling

Three children to cello lessons

Three children to voice lessons

Sure wish I could hire a driver.

No kidding.  I am very thankful that I actually like driving.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, maize said:

Today's chauffeuring report:

Five children to dance/acro classes

Four children to karate

One child to tumbling

Three children to cello lessons

Three children to voice lessons

Sure wish I could hire a driver.

Because one trophy isn't enough for all of this:  🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆    🏆🏆🏆🏆     🏆    🏆🏆🏆    🏆🏆🏆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Looks like Murphy has moved in just in time for the Weekend of Crazy I.  The van needs to be looked at immediately so we're going to have to go to Herz first thing in the morning and rent an SUV or minivan.  Hopefully they can fix it before Weekend of Crazy II.  Imma have some sugar free chocolate and almonds and cry for a little while.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

All week dh and I have been sharing one car because we tried to go somewhere in his car Monday and it wouldn't start.   Had it towed (and they tried to start it again) on Wednesday and once it was at the shop, it worked.   Started right up, even the check engine light that was on due to a glitch, is no longer on.   So, we went and picked it up last night and have no idea what was going on with it.  I just hope it keeps working.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

We're trying to set up a day to have dinner with my dad and his wife.   They never answer their phone and never seem to get my messages so I sent stepmom a text this time.   We have exactly one day in the entire month of December (at least before Christmas) that we can do it - my mother's birthday.  Which is going to make that a fun day since we'll have breakfast or lunch with her, then dinner with them but there's not really another way.   I asked if it was easier for them to come to our house or go out to dinner (we'll treat).  We can't go over their house due to severe allergies.   If I don't hear back from them, I guess we'll go with after Christmas.  Wouldn't be the first time but it's usually because someone gets sick on our planned day.

Dh is getting knee surgery on December 19th.  We want to get it in before the new year so we don't have to pay our deductible again.  So no messing around with that date.  But it's the date of the 4-H leaders dinner AND we're supposed to have dentists appointments.   My mother will drive him too and from his surgery but there's no way he's going to go out to dinner that evening.  He says I should still go to the dinner, but he probably won't be able to walk at all.   The kids would be here with him and could fetch stuff for him, but depending on how immobile he really is, that may not be enough.  

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Happy Friday!  Sorry, I know the queen likes Monday but Friday is my favorite day!  I have great classes on Fridays, plus it's a short day, plus I can sleep a little late the next day.

Same!  (Except I don't have great classes on Friday, lol.  But it is a shorter day and definitely preferred over Monday!)  

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Friday!!🎈🎈❤️❤️🎉🎉🎉

School and work!!! I have so much to do for work and I have no idea how to do any of it.😩😩😩😩

DS has a soccer game today, but it’s pretty far away so I will not be going. I barely got his uniform laundered. A win for Oxyclean with the muddy socks. They are pristine now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Well, I was trying to be somewhat delicate about it. Basically, they're going to use a balloon to open my cervix, since Cheeto's head isn't getting far enough down to do the job. Then they'll give me the Pitocin the next morning.

ETA: They may use a hormonal gel instead of the balloon. I'm not sure. But they call it cervical ripening, and it's supposed to soften and open the cervix. Apparently, it means I have to be admitted the night before the induction, presumably so it has time to do its job before the Pitocin starts the crazy contractions.

I have no more reactions, but this sounds like a reason for almonds and all the chocolate today. Ouch!

• Like 2

I'm writing and working on New Year's resolutions. My agent isn't done with my line edits yet. I'm simultaneously relieved (December is already going to be a bear) and horrified (Is it really that bad?!!!😱

But I might as well make a list of ways to 1) Improve myself 2) Have more free time and 3) Don't die.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers, you guys. It means a lot to me.

I didn't do any of that. Ok.

Awesome Father, please take special care of Bookie and Cheeto at this time. Put your hand over them and guide them through this process with unforseen blessings and as little difficulty as is necessary. Please bless the doctors with wisdom, the mother with patience, the baby with health and the family with joy. Thank you for this beautiful and perfect gift. I pray it grows to honor and glorify you in a way that shines on the entire family. Amen.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

I didn't do any of that. Ok.

Awesome Father, please take special care of Bookie and Cheeto at this time. Put your hand over them and guide them through this process with unforseen blessings and as little difficulty as is necessary. Please bless the doctors with wisdom, the mother with patience, the baby with health and the family with joy. Thank you for this beautiful and perfect gift. I pray it grows to honor and glorify you in a way that shines on the entire family. Amen.

Amen!!

• Like 3

Ok, so, i’ve Got the healthy breakfasts under control. I either have a stevia-sweetened fruit and protein smoothie, or cottage cheese and pineapple. And today I am having toast made with that sprouted Ezekiel bread with a thin smear of peanut butter and a banana cut up in top.  Now, I need to work on lunch and dinner. Lunch especially. I am so hungry and I love chips, so I nibble on chips.  Sometimes I will have a salad for lunch, but then I ruin it with chips,

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, so, i’ve Got the healthy breakfasts under control. I either have a stevia-sweetened fruit and protein smoothie, or cottage cheese and pineapple. And today I am having toast made with that sprouted Ezekiel bread with a thin smear of peanut butter and a banana cut up in top.  Now, I need to work on lunch and dinner. Lunch especially. I am so hungry and I love chips, so I nibble on chips.  Sometimes I will have a salad for lunch, but then I ruin it with chips,

Tortilla chips are healthy. And so is salsa. 😄 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Well, I was trying to be somewhat delicate about it. Basically, they're going to use a balloon to open my cervix, since Cheeto's head isn't getting far enough down to do the job. Then they'll give me the Pitocin the next morning.

ETA: They may use a hormonal gel instead of the balloon. I'm not sure. But they call it cervical ripening, and it's supposed to soften and open the cervix. Apparently, it means I have to be admitted the night before the induction, presumably so it has time to do its job before the Pitocin starts the crazy contractions.

The balloon is easier to control than the gel.  

I think Gymnast's shoulders is why it took so long for her to drop as well, now that I think about it. 

37 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Put something crunchy in your salad. Almond slivers, sunflower seeds, crunchy chickpeas.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Waaah?! Nevermind. I don't think I want an explanation, after all.

It's not too bad (although I've never had it done). A balloon will be gradually inflated. Very small increments over hours. A lot safer method of ripening.

The gel, once it is on, it's ON, and there's nothing to do to control the effects once it starts to work. DO NOT GOOGLE THIS. I've never had this done either, but made the mistake of googling while pregnant.