Menu

Ignore this thread!

41 minutes ago, Slache said:

Regarding math.

We did a super relaxed early math here because he's a writer, not a mathematician. Now that he does a long worksheet (Saxon) I had to rework the schedule. Now we do math first so that it's just done. We do...

1. Morning Time
  2. Hygiene break
  3. Mom heavy subjects (including Math)
  4. Chore break
  5. Independent subjects
  6. Active break
  7. Group work

What about food?!? :) That's an important part of our day.

21 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

What about food?!? 🙂 That's an important part of our day.

Yes. Here:

1. Morning Time over breakfast
  2. Hygiene break
  4. Chore break
  5. Independent subjects
  6. Active break followed by snacks
  7. Group work followed by free time and then lunch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just gonna keep doing this because I don't know where my notebook is.

1. Morning Time over breakfast
  2. Hygiene break
  4. Chore break followed by snacks
  5. Independent subjects
  6. Group work followed by lunch
  7. Quiet time
  8. Music
  9. Active break
  10. Dinner

I think that could be good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paradox5 said:

This is similar to the routine/schedule I have written up. My biggest hurdle is kids complaining about getting up in the mornings. Loudly, I hear cries of “why do we have to get up at 8 am when we don’t have to go anywhere? We’re homeschooled!”

I have the opposite problem. Before I put a stay in bed time they'd get up before 6 and cry from exhaustion. Now they have to stay in bed until 8 but the oldest is allowed to read at 7. I actually slapped my fitbit on him for a week to verify what he needed sleep wise. That was a good exercise 

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I make mine get up at 7:00 and homeschool begins at 8:30!

1 hour ago, Slache said:

No.

I've actually been thinking about this for a few weeks. Essentially, I think I want a tighter ship with more free time. I wasn't sure how to go about it, but I have a few ideas I'm bouncing around.

12 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

You guys don’t have teens yet, do you?

Neither DH nor I started sleeping late in our teens, and DH still doesn't. I'm not holding my breath.

I am the main reason we don't get started early enough in the mornings at the moment.

• Like 1

Sooo...

While I was installing flooring in the kitchen, dd4 was pretending to be Elsa in the living room.

With a bag of powdered sugar for snow.

My entire living room is covered, including the piano and a cello.

Anyone want to take a four year old in for safe keeping for a couple of weeks?

• Sad 4

25 minutes ago, maize said:

Sooo...

While I was installing flooring in the kitchen, dd4 was pretending to be Elsa in the living room.

She put you in quite the sticky situation...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Slache said:

After looking at it I'm wondering why I haven't switched 5 and 6.

Maybe because it was working the way you have it? Was it?...

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

This is similar to the routine/schedule I have written up. My biggest hurdle is kids complaining about getting up in the mornings. Loudly, I hear cries of “why do we have to get up at 8 am when we don’t have to go anywhere? We’re homeschooled!”

Yes, Gymnast was never a morning person. Never. Even as an infant.

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I have the opposite problem. Before I put a stay in bed time they'd get up before 6 and cry from exhaustion. Now they have to stay in bed until 8 but the oldest is allowed to read at 7. I actually slapped my fitbit on him for a week to verify what he needed sleep wise. That was a good exercise 

What did the fitbit tell you about him? Exercise and sleepwise?

1 hour ago, maize said:

Sooo...

Yes, I will take her.

1 minute ago, Renai said:

Maybe because it was working the way you have it? Was it?...

What did the fitbit tell you about him? Exercise and sleepwise?

Meh. We're going to try a change. We'll see.

He laid in bed awake for an hour every morning. I didn't believe it because if he gets up at 7 he's cranky, so now He reads and he's fine. He also gets 13,000 steps a day. The other two get less than 6,000 but he's hyperactive and literally runs up and down the hall for about 20 minutes a day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

Meh. We're going to try a change. We'll see.

He laid in bed awake for an hour every morning. I didn't believe it because if he gets up at 7 he's cranky, so now He reads and he's fine. He also gets 13,000 steps a day. The other two get less than 6,000 but he's hyperactive and literally runs up and down the hall for about 20 minutes a day.

The last part sounds like Gymnast, except she "runs" on her hands and feet for about that amount of time, back and forth from the living room to the kitchen. She's been making obstacle course that includes jumping over things, going under the table, "running" to the bedroom, and doing who knows what in there before "running" back to the living room and touching the pillow base.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I hear you. Only it's me doing the whining. I HATE mornings. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, maize said:

Sooo...

Oh, my goodness. So adorable, and yet so destructive. That's got to go in a story.

My two did the abominable snowman with flour when I escaped to the bathroom for about three minutes. I think they were three. I probably cried, I was so tired at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Renai said:

The last part sounds like Gymnast, except she "runs" on her hands and feet for about that amount of time, back and forth from the living room to the kitchen. She's been making obstacle course that includes jumping over things, going under the table, "running" to the bedroom, and doing who knows what in there before "running" back to the living room and touching the pillow base.

This would be if Alex had the hyperactivity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

When Teen was a teen, we woke up even earlier. Consistent early wake up and physical activity throughout the day makes for a sleepy teen at night instead of a night owl. The regular early wake up time for everyone in our family starts long before the teen years, though, so it's just a way of life by the time that stage comes.

So you're saying you intentionally raised someone this way and it went well? That's what I want but most people either laugh in my face or tell me it's wrong.

6 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

When Teen was a teen, we woke up even earlier. Consistent early wake up and physical activity throughout the day makes for a sleepy teen at night instead of a night owl. The regular early wake up time for everyone in our family starts long before the teen years, though, so it's just a way of life by the time that stage comes.

It's great when it works for that person's body clock. I was raised to wake early.  I've never been a morning person though, but will wake early because I have to. I did so as a teen in college because I had to catch the 6am bus to be in time for an early class. I used to also work nights, and my body loved it. When I have a chance, my body automatically reverts back to late bed, late rise. (late meaning 8-9am)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will say that dh wants Gymnast waking earlier. He's not making the connection that she needs to get to bed earlier so she gets her sleep in. But, I'm telling you, she literally was never a morning person. It was the strangest thing to me to have a young kid that didn't want to get up by 7-8am.

• Like 1

I should have taken a picture of my yard.  Can't now, it's dark.  But it looks like a winter wonderland.  Snow covering everything.  It's hanging around in the trees quite well.  That usually doesn't happen.  It looks pretty but it's bad for the trees and makes it more likely branches will break off.   A big area not far from me is without power because so many tree limbs came down.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I get up at 6:30am because I like to get to my classroom around 8am.  I do sleep better with that schedule.  Dh is definitely an early bird.  He's up and out of the house by 6am many days.  He has flexibility in his job so he goes in early and leaves early.

Ds is the typical teenager and would sleep until noon.   When I have to get him up to come to classes or to watch the dog when I leave, he does seem to sleep better at least sometimes.

Dd gets up around 7/8 most days.   She also stays up half the night, like ds if given the chance, but she still wakes up early.  But then she wants to nap.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

How about a lot of laughs?

Scotsman is a total morning person but ready to stop by 8pm. The older kids all started out that way. Captain has thankfully been sleeping in until 7 the past few days. I’m naturally a Night Owl and prefer not to get moving before 9 am. I’m trying.

Anyone else run into people’s idea that all homeschoolers get up at 5 am? Why? Why? And that all homeschooled kids are advanced/gifted? Really?

All of my kids are gifted.

• Haha 3

Hi!

Still ketchupping but I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving.  Ours was delightful; lots of relaxing with friends and snuggling the newest (9 day-old) member of their family.

It's been a whirlwind ever since. Lots going on this week on all fronts, and there's no break until Sunday night. Tomorrow night I'm supposed to be in three places at once.  Thankfully, my clone has offered to help.

And it snowed! About 10 inches today.  The tree is done, most of the gifts are purchased, and I'm really looking forward to my girls singing in a Christmas concert this weekend.

• Like 4

If my kid went to bed early and got up early, we’d never get any schooling done.  He’s doing his math right now.  I work FT and my husband works second shift.  It just wouldn’t work for us.  Him sleeping in has worked from K-6, and now in 7.  I’m not changing it now.  

If it ain’t broke...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ikslo said:

If my kid went to bed early and got up early, we’d never get any schooling done.  He’s doing his math right now.  I work FT and my husband works second shift.  It just wouldn’t work for us.  Him sleeping in has worked from K-6, and now in 7.  I’m not changing it now.  

If it ain’t broke...

I love the way we quietly like each other's TX/FL posts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slache said:

So you're saying you intentionally raised someone this way and it went well? That's what I want but most people either laugh in my face or tell me it's wrong.

Some of it is genetic.

According to 23andMe, my natural wake up time is supposed to be the earliest of anyone in my family who has tested (including my husband and three of my kids).

I never have been a night owl. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Slache said:

No. I figure they'll start sleeping in in their tweens.

Maybe, maybe not.  But my kids are old enough to take care of themselves and be quiet in the mornings if it's not time to get up yet.  During the week they are up between 6:45 and 7 except dd16 who gets up earlier to exercise with dh.  Breakfast is at 7 with the whole family.  School starts at 8.  They have enormous amounts of free time, at least until high school when free time is harder to come by but not impossible if they at least moderately keep at their lessons.

• Like 3

I slept like crap again.   I also had a hot flashy moment during class yesterday.  Left the room to splash cold water on my neck and face.   I also feel slightly nauseous.  Another new fun stage of peri/menopause?  Or am I coming down with something?    Either one kind of sucks.

• Sad 4

My boys have mostly been early risers. It's 6:45 here and three of us are up--myself, ds2, and ds7.

Dd16 definitely starting sleeping in more with adolescence. Often when dh leaves for work all the boys are up but my girls are still asleep.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1