Menu

Ignore this thread!

18 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I am more mustard than ketchupped.  But we are home from swim meet.  So tiring!  

DS 17 is now DS18 today!  

I need to clone myself and my car this week.  

Hoping for successful van repairs today for you, Susan!

Send in the Clones
By AMJ 10/2017

Isn't it time?
Why aren't they here
to do our laundry and run
all our errands with cheer?
Send in the clones.
There ought to be clones!

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Monday!!!!😩😩😩😩😩

i managed to survived the Handbell-Apocalypse yesterday. We played well both services (and I managed to keep a smile on my face, smiling is something you have to be very intentional about because you are concentrating so hard) and we made it up to the mountains, it did not snow and the ceremony was lovely. People loved the bells. We played the prelude as people were hiking up the path (about 1/4 mile from the parking lot) to the Gen. Grant Tree and they said they could hear the bells all the way up from the parking lot and it was just beautiful. The ceremony had a lot of music, the state Assemblyman from this area gave the message which was really good.  The only bad thing was getting a late start coming down the mountain and we missed the entire children’s Christmas program. We knew we were cutting it extremely close and then we had to wait for Myra, (some lady who rode up on our bus). We waited and waited and looked in the bathroom and couldn’t find here. Finally, we figured out she went down on the other bus and didn’t tell anyone.😡😡😡

Anyway, I had “In Dulci Jubilo” running through my head all night long. I slept horribly and am not ready for the week to come. Ole’.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm up and taking on the day, one task at a time. Caffeine first, though. I have to work tomorrow, and so nothing will be done at all that day. Even with DH and the boys home earlier than me, I know better than to get my hopes up. So I'm doing my best to keep things good for me, everyone mostly fed, and if they want clothes--well, they will have to handle that for themselves. I'll do what I can when I get home, but not staying up to wash someone's favorite pants. They can stay up.

Getting a few reads back for one novel. I'm hoping I get to do the revisions on it in February or March. That would be awesome. 

ETA: Happy Nirthday to so many! 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

I woke up with a headache and went back to bed for Second Sleep.

I've been up for a while.  Headache is still hanging around, but I'm able to function better than yesterday.

Skipped school with dd9, did math with dd11 (she was actually mostly compliant) and set the others off with their assignments for independent learning.

Cleaned out the coat closet and purged mittens/hats that don't fit anyone.

And I read two chapters in a Max Lucado book -- in Spanish.  I understood about half of it.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

(((Junie))) You seem to suffer with headaches frequently. Have you figured out what triggers them? I found out that a food allergy was causing my migraine-like headaches and eliminating the source has been life changing.

No, we haven't figured out the cause.  And, actually, my headaches are much, much better.

The three years from 2016-2018 I had a migraine nearly every single day.  It was pretty miserable.

• Like 2

Dds17&13 and I dropped dh off at work and then went to the AFSA to pick up our new glasses and go grocery shopping.  The girls begged for ramen cups so that's what was for lunch.  I had a leftover baked potato and a chicken herb sausage.  Now I want a nap - my brain woke up much too early this morning!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Junie said:

No, we haven't figured out the cause.  And, actually, my headaches are much, much better.

The three years from 2016-2018 I had a migraine nearly every single day.  It was pretty miserable.

I was thinking about this and I think it might have been 2015-2017.  

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm so sorry. If you haven't already, you may want to consider both food allergy testing (in the arm, not just the back test because it isn't sensitive enough) and external allergy testing. The tests didn't reveal what reaction was caused by each allergen, but after avoiding them all for about a month, I could reintroduce one allergen at a time to figure out what the reactions were, if that makes sense.

I'm pretty sure it's not food allergies.  I had allergy testing about 12 years ago and the only things that showed up were wheat, oats, barley, and limes.  I have been gluten free (and mostly lime free) ever since.

My best guess is that they are stress related.  The dates coincide with the years that I was homeschooling 6 children.  They started a few months after dd9 began kindergarten and settled down a bit when ds19 went off to college.

• Like 2

Well, Morning is done. So is lunch.

I have added to my weekly goals. My original weekly goals are as follows:

Yoga 5x/week

Drink 2 quarts of water daily

No sugar

I added the following 2 goals:

1). Afternoon hot drink will be tea and not COFFEE!!!~D (reasoning is because I drink my coffee sweet and white and tea I just sweeten with stevia, so this will save on fat and calories from the half and half)

2) Any and all snacks will be either Greek yogurt cup, fruit or veggie sticks.

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I am more mustard than ketchupped.  But we are home from swim meet.  So tiring!  

DS 17 is now DS18 today!  

I need to clone myself and my car this week.  

Hoping for successful van repairs today for you, Susan!

Happy Nirthday to ds!

7 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't wanna go to school today but I don't want to get on the principal's bad side for playing hooky either. 😂

No school for dd today.  Ds had some school because he takes two classes at the science center today.   My weekend got away from me so I didn't set things up.  I'm unlikely to do it tonight because we have 4-H.  Maybe tomorrow night so school Wednesday through Friday.

• Like 1

Sorry this is long but I have a problem in one of my classes.  New kid came in this session.  We're in session 2 out of 4 for the year, each session is 8 weeks. So some kids have been in class for 11 weeks now, while a couple started this session so have only been there 2 weeks.    New kid is very quirky, rigid thinker, unflexible, etc.   There is another kid who has been in the class from the beginning.  Class clown type, tells jokes, slightly disruptive but I'm not a super strict teacher, others also goof around and he's always good during the actual labs - follows safety rules and procedures etc.   Clown stuff is more during the "lecture" portion.  

New kid finds clown kid extremely annoying and is vocal about it.  Was actually quite mean and unkind to clown kid the first week they were in class.   I had lab groups set up a certain way and new kid switched with another kid to not work with clown kid, which wouldn't have been too bad but actually also made comments about it.     So this week I was prepared to talk to them ALL about staying in their lab groups because I have reasons for setting them up the way I do (sometimes it's safety putting kids who I know are good with hot plates or open flames with those who might not be, making sure the same kids aren't always stuck helping the youngest, putting a strong math kid with each group when there's a lot of calculations, etc.).    New kid was late to class so missed that part of things.  I thought they weren't coming but did end up coming in about 1/2 way through.  At the end of class, I did tell new kid what I told the others, with a comment that new kid missed this but blah blah blah.    Just a general comment, not mentioning what happened previously.  New kid responded by saying it was a specific situation that caused them to switch before, and I said that situation (working with clown kid) may come up again, and new kid said they wouldn't come to class then.  

Now, new kid did come to another activity with clown kid and they seemed to get along okay.   Not best buds or anything but not hostile.  New kid also got annoyed at clown for tapping fingers today.  Nobody else except clowns lab partner even noticed and lab partner said it went on for about a minute and wasn't very loud.  This was during the lab work so everyone was talking, discussing things, etc. 

Now, I'm not really sure what to do.   The class isn't big enough to avoid new kid ever having to work with clown kid.  They can't just skip class because they won't know until they get there whether they are working together or not plus that certainly doesn't seem like a good solution.  I did try to avoid putting new kid with ONLY clown kid (at least one other kid in the group) but I don't know if I'll be able to do that all year, I only have groups worked out to the end of the session.    I don't think it's fair to everyone else to set up groups just to avoid that situation, plus there's only 9 of them and evidently not working together isn't enough to keep new kid from finding clown kid annoying (nobody else finds clown particularly annoying except maybe me at times, but they've all known clown a while and are used to him.  Clown is not neuro-typical).  

From what I've been told, new kids mom is more likely to demand changes than talk to her child about being kinder, but I haven't had direct experience. 

To make matters worse, clown kid is mine so I'm trying to walk a line between teacher/mother, and want to support my son if someone is being mean, but making sure he's doing his part as well.  

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

That is a tough one. Sounds to me like the New Kid is also not neuro-typical.

Certainly possible and wouldn't surprise me even a little bit, but if so from what I understand, it's not acknowledged.

My only option may be to run my class the way I've been running it and let the chips fall where they may.  If she ends up walking out of class, then so be it.  Although I don't want to not address nasty comments, rudeness or meanness.   I found out after the fact that one of the other kids who has known new kid for a while (they are all teens, BTW, 13 to 16 years old.  New kid is 16, clown is 14), did say something to new kid about what they said being rude and not nice.  

Ugh, this is the first time I've had a situation like this come up.

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Math is taking FOR-E-VER. Again. And it's a super easy lesson that he completely understands but just isn't motivated enough to do. 8 problems. 1.5hrs. Still not done. The principal just happens to be on his way home and will be making a surprise appearance soon.

Can it be done orally or on a whiteboard? Sometimes when Gymnast gets like this, changing it up like this works.

5 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

I woke up with a headache and went back to bed for Second Sleep.

I've been up for a while.  Headache is still hanging around, but I'm able to function better than yesterday.

Skipped school with dd9, did math with dd11 (she was actually mostly compliant) and set the others off with their assignments for independent learning.

Cleaned out the coat closet and purged mittens/hats that don't fit anyone.

And I read two chapters in a Max Lucado book -- in Spanish.  I understood about half of it.

Which Max Lucado book? I'm working on my book list for 2020. I have determined that I much prefer, and am more likely to read, a hardcopy of a book rather than an ebook or audiobook.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Certainly possible and wouldn't surprise me even a little bit, but if so from what I understand, it's not acknowledged.

My only option may be to run my class the way I've been running it and let the chips fall where they may.  If she ends up walking out of class, then so be it.  Although I don't want to not address nasty comments, rudeness or meanness.   I found out after the fact that one of the other kids who has known new kid for a while (they are all teens, BTW, 13 to 16 years old.  New kid is 16, clown is 14), did say something to new kid about what they said being rude and not nice.  

Ugh, this is the first time I've had a situation like this come up.

Go to first day mode when new kid is there on time, and reiterate the rules. Have the students do it, though. 

I also have included this in my high school Spanish syllabus. I don't remember where I got it from, and you can adapt it to your needs: 

VI. Statement of Respect
We understand that our members represent a rich variety of backgrounds and perspectives. While
working together to build this community we ask all members to:
● share their unique experiences, values and beliefs
● be open to the views of others
● honor the uniqueness of their peers
● appreciate the opportunity that we have to learn from each other in this community
● value each other’s opinions and communicate in a respectful manner
● use this opportunity together to discuss ways in which we can create an inclusive
environment in this course and across the homeschool community

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I see the sweet tooth deterrent but what about when you want salty goodness like chips? I do not see a good deterrent for that. Maybe seeds and nuts?

I should probably add almonds to that list. Chips have not been deleted. I am trying a new approach to my health. I am not changing everything at once, which I have done ad nauseum, and while it works for a while, I cannot maintain it. So, now my approach is small changes and tweaks to my diet and lifestyle, which hopefully will become permanent over time.  I’m doing very well with the yoga and the water.  Sugar is harder, but I have been mostly successful. Now, we will hope that these two new things will become a permanent part of what I do. I have a cup of tea this afternoon, which is fine.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Renai said:

Can it be done orally or on a whiteboard? Sometimes when Gymnast gets like this, changing it up like this works.

Which Max Lucado book? I'm working on my book list for 2020. I have determined that I much prefer, and am more likely to read, a hardcopy of a book rather than an ebook or audiobook.

https://www.christianbook.com/a-causa-de-bel-eacute-n/max-lucado/9780718082383/pd/082383?event=ESRCG

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I should probably add almonds to that list. Chips have not been deleted. I am trying a new approach to my health. I am not changing everything at once, which I have done ad nauseum, and while it works for a while, I cannot maintain it. So, now my approach is small changes and tweaks to my diet and lifestyle, which hopefully will become permanent over time.  I’m doing very well with the yoga and the water.  Sugar is harder, but I have been mostly successful. Now, we will hope that these two new things will become a permanent part of what I do. I have a cup of tea this afternoon, which is fine.

I'm doing something similar.   I'm generally doing well doing yoga and/or Tai Chi every morning, at least the mornings I'm at the science center.  I'm also good doing bone broth every morning.   I"m concentrating on drinking more water right now.   I need to work more on diet, basically all aspects of diet.   I don't think it will be possible until after the holidays though.  That's when I have a bunch of reminders in my calendar to track, limit and watch what I eat.  I'll probably start with tracking everything I eat every day, then work on reducing sugar and carbs, then eliminating or near eliminating sugar. 

36 minutes ago, Slache said:

I want a deep, scholarly study on the Gospels. Do you have a recommendation?

What studies have you enjoyed in the past?

Not I think what you are looking for but maybe something to complement a study, I really enjoyed the book Simply Jesus by N. T. Wright; he's a well respected Anglican New Testament scholar. I don't agree with all of his doctrinal viewpoints but his book is the best I have found for an easily accessible historical background to the Gospels.

48 minutes ago, maize said:

What studies have you enjoyed in the past?

Not I think what you are looking for but maybe something to complement a study, I really enjoyed the book Simply Jesus by N. T. Wright; he's a well respected Anglican New Testament scholar. I don't agree with all of his doctrinal viewpoints but his book is the best I have found for an easily accessible historical background to the Gospels.

Thank you! I think that Lynn recommended him for something else in the past and I never read it. It's on my list... I have a lot of books on my list... Maybe I'll read both this year?

40 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Hello everyone! I asked Renai to post for me too soon. Due to an unexpected increase in spontaneous labors today, there wasn't any room for me at labor and delivery tonight. I'll be in at 5 a.m. tomorrow morning.

Please pray for a successful induction and healthy boy. I'm still not in the ideal place for induction, but they're going to try it tomorrow, anyway. Doc says if the Pitocin isn't working well, we'll try the cervical ripening tomorrow afternoon/evening instead. I'm hoping it all goes well. I also don't think I'll have internet while I'm there, but I'll check in here before I go to bed tonight.

Our family will pray for you much tonight.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

My kids keep reciting laissez le bon tall roulet (sp?) so I guess we speak French now.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

What's fun* to do in rounds is have them singing in different languages. I think you could easily find Frere Jacques, but OTOH you can teach one "The more we get together, together, together/ The more we get together, the happier we'll be" and another one "Lo mas que nos reunimos, reunimos, reunimos/ Lo mas que nos reunimos, felices seremos" y el otro "Plus nous sommes ensemble, ensemble, ensemble/ Plus nous sommes ensemble, plus heureux nous serons."

Hours of fun, n'est-ce pas?

*Fun in the sense that it's perfect for me to suggest from a safe location 1200 miles away. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2