Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, so, i’ve Got the healthy breakfasts under control. I either have a stevia-sweetened fruit and protein smoothie, or cottage cheese and pineapple. And today I am having toast made with that sprouted Ezekiel bread with a thin smear of peanut butter and a banana cut up in top.  Now, I need to work on lunch and dinner. Lunch especially. I am so hungry and I love chips, so I nibble on chips.  Sometimes I will have a salad for lunch, but then I ruin it with chips,

Do you like sweet potato chips?  How about parmesan crisps?  (I avoid tortilla chips, but if your body is OK with them, go for it!  Also, take a small handful and put it in a sandwich baggie and put the chip bag away.  Just eat what is in the sandwich baggie.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Do you like sweet potato chips?  How about parmesan crisps?  (I avoid tortilla chips, but if your body is OK with them, go for it!  Also, take a small handful and put it in a sandwich baggie and put the chip bag away.  Just eat what is in the sandwich baggie.)

Ooooh, the sandwich bag idea is a good one.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:57 PM, maize said:

Some of it is genetic.

According to 23andMe, my natural wake up time is supposed to be the earliest of anyone in my family who has tested (including my husband and three of my kids).

I never have been a night owl. 

On 12/3/2019 at 10:59 PM, Slache said:

Was this worth it to you?

On 12/4/2019 at 7:22 AM, maize said:

Yes, mostly because we've got some complex health issues and anything that sheds some light on them is useful.

My dad just said, when he was visiting for Thanksgiving, that he recently did this.  DS and I both said, oh, great!  Way to get relatives caught by the police.  Way to go, dad!  LOL j/k

Then he said, no really, it was great.  I found out I really am 100% Polish.  My parents weren't lying to me.

Poor guy. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Well, I was trying to be somewhat delicate about it. Basically, they're going to use a balloon to open my cervix, since Cheeto's head isn't getting far enough down to do the job. Then they'll give me the Pitocin the next morning.

ETA: They may use a hormonal gel instead of the balloon. I'm not sure. But they call it cervical ripening, and it's supposed to soften and open the cervix. Apparently, it means I have to be admitted the night before the induction, presumably so it has time to do its job before the Pitocin starts the crazy contractions.

3 hours ago, Renai said:

It's not too bad (although I've never had it done). A balloon will be gradually inflated. Very small increments over hours. A lot safer method of ripening.

The gel, once it is on, it's ON, and there's nothing to do to control the effects once it starts to work. DO NOT GOOGLE THIS. I've never had this done either, but made the mistake of googling while pregnant.

I had the gel as part of the induction for ds.   Let's just say it didn't go great.   And that OB stopped delivering babies after ds.  And claimed ds gave him all his grey hair.   And this was a guy written up in an article as one of the top OB's in the state.  

I evidently don't react well to pitocin either.  

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

How am I supposed to NOT google this now?!?!

I'm pretty sure my OB is planning to use the balloon. I trust her judgement.

Don't make me have to text you! Toto's story is good enough for now. And I'm glad you have an OB you can trust and knows your history.

Yeah, I didn't want to give too much detail because I always hated the scary birth stories when I was pregnant.   I do think some of the issue was pretty unique to me because it seems related to issues I had with my oldest as well.    Since ds was just my second child, and 11 years after the first, we didn't really make the connection until after.  We were better prepared for my youngest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Krissi, I am no help on healthy eating AT ALL. I just had peanut butter on graham crackers with a side of tater tots for dinner.

I love graham crackers and peanut butter. And I love tater tots. I might not eat them together, though.

• Haha 2

Well, I got all prettied up with a hair cut. The boys always complain it takes me too long to have my hair done. To which I say, I am old and ugly, and it takes time to make this look good. Which makes me laugh because it's totally not true. Except possibly the getting older part.

Time to get all the library books together for returns tomorrow and compile the list of things to get and put it in my journal so I don't forget anything. 

ETA: It's a Gettin' Old and Forgettin' It All Library Book Booyah

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I went to see an orthopedist about my hip.  It turns out that I have had hip dysplasia since birth.  If it had been caught when I was 20ish, they would have been able to do surgery.  Since I'm old(er) and have arthritis, they can offer me steroid injections until it gets bad enough for a hip replacement.  I probably also have a torn labrum, but he said that since my hips are out of alignment, surgery is not recommended because the labrum would just tear again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I like cashew butter, especially Reese's peanut butter cup style. I make them and they always disappear in record time.

Now, that's something Dancer made that I really miss. She figured out how to make them and would treat us every once in a while. They were sooo good!

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Still riding in the car from going to bring Uni Boy home for the month. Scotsman came and scrubbed the roomies health hazard bathroom. The Girl rode along just so she could eat in UTD’s cafeteria again! She said she wants to go when she’s older for the food. 😋

This is ds15's prime motivation for attending college! :biggrin:

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Graham cracker-frosting sandwiches are the best. I could eat those all day.

Especially with chocolate frosting!  We have leftover chocolate frosting in the fridge and graham crackers in the cupboard.  I'll send Bruce with the Stealth 'Copter.

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't even like graham crackers as a pie crust. I eat all the cheesecake and throw away the crust... Or I make the crust out of Oreos instead. Yummmm!

I have hated Oreos since I was very young.  Also those wafer cookie things and apple juice.  Some of my earliest memories from church nursery.

• Like 3

For the past few years for Christmas, we get all the grandparents (3 sets) a calendar with pictures of the kids.  It's useful and they like it, and none of them need more sweaters or slippers or knick knacks.   So I was putting them together today and we don't have nearly as many pictures from this year as we usually do.  Kids are getting older, ds doesn't like to have his picture taken, oldest dd is off on her own, etc. so I was pulling in some other recent favorites.   And I want to do a calendar for me for the science center.  So I decided to pull more of my favorite pictures off a external hard drive that stays in our lock box.  I don't go on it very often, but I just spent about 4 hours going down memory lane.  So many things I forgot.   I ordered the grandparent calendars because we're running out of time, but I think I'm going to take a little longer to decide how I want mine.  Plus shutterfly was taking forever to load the pictures and seemed ready to crash so I thought I should get the urgent ones done.

I really need to order a photo book with all my favorite pictures at least from since dh and I got married.  To do one for oldest dd, I'd have a lot of scanning to do since most of her pictures are hard copy.

• Like 1

Good morning!

The van is at the shop and 2 Kids are at the Scout event.  Today I don't have any performances myself, so I feel quite a bit less stress.  Just a matter of getting everyone where they need to be.  Dh is taking Dd17 in 5 minutes for an audition which requires a minor road trip and afterwards he will get her into The Big City for concerts.  The rest of day for me is rehearsals, more Scout event, Christmas concerts, and Christmas party.  Ds24 is letting us use his car today and tomorrow so we can get everywhere.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Good morning!

Ds14 has tumbling team photos this morning.

Dd16 is helping out with the holiday sale at the dojo.

I will be making an appearance at the Holiday sale to take advantage of the 20% discount on gear. And taking some of the younger kids along to take advantage of free muffins and hot cocoa, they would not forgive me if I left them behind.

Matinee and evening performances of Frozen on the afternoon schedule. Yes I just made that an implied verb sentence, someone should have their kid diagram it (not really, that would be cruel and unusual torture).

Also, I like peanut butter.

I like chocolate.

I do not like peanut butter and chocolate together.

Heresy I know.

• Like 4

Morning.  I slept in a little bit after being up past midnight.   Need to do laundry, straighten the living room since we're putting up the tree tomorrow, some paperwork, run by the science center.  Finally heard back from stepmom about getting together and looks like we're doing my mother's birthday.  I think I'll see about lunch with them and we can take my mother out to dinner.  

She brought up money again (previous post about wanting payback for a "loan" that wasn't supposed to be a loan, more restitution) and we do want to send/give some to help them out, but she's now asking for monthly payments.  We were going to send a larger amount all at once, probably works out to be 5-6 times what we would send monthly.   The whole thing is still bothering me, giving a bad taste.  I know they're not asking for my brother to "repay" the money they gave him, and I feel like saying I'll send what my mother used to get for child support after he fought to have it lowered ($35 a month), or what he helped with college (nothing).   But he's 82 years old and we've only really had any kind of relationship for the past 15 years, even if it is a limited one.   Doesn't help that they are supporting her adult children and making choices that are making things worse.  

I kind of hate how icky the whole thing makes me feel.  

• Sad 6

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!! The little girls have rehearsal for the Sunday School Christmas program tomorrow. I have bell rehearsal right after that.  Somewhere in there I have to help DS write his essay for English. He is hanging in there at a 59.2%. His teacher said this essay is a matter of life and death for him. 🤪

It’s pouring down rain,

I got chastised by all the animals this morning. The hummingbirds are still bitter that it took me 2 hours to wash and refill their feeder yesterday. Our “talkey” cat chewed me out because I slept in and she was outside in the rain. Never mind that we have cozy cat beds on the patio she can sleep in.

y

• Like 2

Have to fly off to the next thing in 7 minutes, but I'm doing a Cheeto ketchup.  (((Bookie))). Praying!

On 12/4/2019 at 3:06 PM, Slache said:

Everything is better without an h.

We really need a "hmpff sticking-tongue-out" reaction.  

On 12/5/2019 at 9:57 AM, Servant4Christ said:

Today's lesson told him to use a star guide and mask to find constellations in the sky by season. And when I looked in the TM, there's one of each for me to photocopy onto cardstock. Perfect. But he still wants a book of a bunch of constellations to look through and study what they look like.

Ds5 is "reading" the Audubon guide to the sky as I type here.  He says it's his favorite new book.  It's all about space aliens, says he.  They've already landed, Mommy!

20 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

So how are they not the same cause they look about the same to me. I figure they can be used the same.

I was afraid you were going to ask me that.

Math U see blocks have the ridges and are intended for people who count. Cuisenaire rods do not have the ridges and are intended for people who don't count. I never allowed counting early on. The colors don't match and you cannot use one product with the opposite curriculum. So you cannot use math U see blocks with Miquon and you cannot use cuisenaire rods with math U see. I do not believe that they are exactly the same size.

I have never used math U see blocks. We used the cuisenaire rods as a toy and the AL Abacus as a curriculum tool. I feel that both have added a lot to our school and I have never purchased another math manipulative.

22 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

???

Children understand the concepts of numbers long before they can comprehend their names. We played with the C-rods and my kids understood the 4 operations, fractions, square roots and all kinds of things really young. Number names and actual counting came later.

The Miquon books are really obvious & nearly all intuitive IMO. You might just buy the first workbook (~$7?) and a set of c-rods and play with it. It's about getting to know quantity. I do not recommend the teacher books for one-on-one instruction.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I never understood how to use the rods or what to do with them. Would you mind pointing me to some books, etc? I know about Miquon but could not understand it. Discovery math wasn’t something we tried.

ADDING: I want to read Liping Ma’s book but cannot find which version to buy. Amazon has several different editions. My library system has none. Can I borrow a copy from someone? 

http://www.educationunboxed.com/

11 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Since Captain already counts, I guess I have already ruined him. Like count how many birds on the page. 1-2-3

Yes. He will never be good at math now.

7 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

The Miquon books are really obvious & nearly all intuitive IMO. You might just buy the first workbook (~$7?) and a set of c-rods and play with it. It's about getting to know quantity. I do not recommend the teacher books for one-on-one instruction.

They were for my kid but my for me. I would look at a sheet, think "huh", he would start the sheet and I would be like "Oh, I get it." That happened like 500 times.

Mathooya!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3