Menu

What's with the ads?

And, apparently, I'm also a soccer coach now. I'm left wondering how the heck that happened...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What's wrong with Pinterest other than personal preference? 

I eventually left them over the hassle of signing in and going through multiple clicks to see anything, including my own pinned stuff on boards I had links directly to. It was supposed to be more convenient than using bookmarks but, with changes they made, became much more of a hassle.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Renai said:

I think it's interesting how we have at least three writers in this thread, all doing different things. I just (self) published another family resource. This one is a drawing translation notebook. It was in my head for a while, so I had to knock it out. Now I need to get to writing the next in the series of my beginning Spanish classes.

ITT: Where all the Talent Gathers!!!

• Like 6

I need some half and half. I have just enough for this afternoon’s cuppa. I guess I will have to go out after dark to the store and get more. No way i’m Going out now. It’s hotter than heck out there.

• Like 4

I ran out of Midsomer Murders on Netflix.  So now I'm trying out a new show - Hinterland.  It's set out in the "hinterlands" of Wales.  Very dark, brooding type show but so far I like it. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Ok.  I'm not.  I have tons of Bible verses and Bible crafts linked on my Pinterest with absolutely no problem. 

I mostly post science stuff but I have a board from when I was teaching Sunday School that was full of Bible verse and activities.  I never had a problem.  I also see quite a few "pro-life" and political posts when I go wandering.  I try not to go wandering very often.

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

I eventually left them over the hassle of signing in and going through multiple clicks to see anything, including my own pinned stuff on boards I had links directly to. It was supposed to be more convenient than using bookmarks but, with changes they made, became much more of a hassle.

I never have to sign-in.  Even when I clear my cookies and history, it automatically signs me in again.  And my boards are just one click away.   I don't like the home page so much anymore.  It used to have people I was following and now it seems to mainly be generated by what I'm pinning, but it's not a huge deal.  

I have 11,239 pins across 91 boards.   I don't think I'll be converting them to another format anytime soon.

• Like 5

Just now, Where's Toto? said:

I mostly post science stuff but I have a board from when I was teaching Sunday School that was full of Bible verse and activities.  I never had a problem.  I also see quite a few "pro-life" and political posts when I go wandering.  I try not to go wandering very often.

I never have to sign-in.  Even when I clear my cookies and history, it automatically signs me in again.  And my boards are just one click away.   I don't like the home page so much anymore.  It used to have people I was following and now it seems to mainly be generated by what I'm pinning, but it's not a huge deal.  

I have 11,239 pins across 91 boards.   I don't think I'll be converting them to another format anytime soon.

I don't have to sign in either. 

I have a lot of science pins for camp because a lot of these kids don't seem to get a science education and I find science illustrates Biblical principles (It's a Bible camp) very well.  And the kids love it. 

• Like 4

So the girl I'm dealing with for the Tech Tuesday job sent me the schedule for next year.  It's all online games.  That's it.  Online games, then computer programs (which we already discovered don't work here because of the age range and the fact that most of the kids here have been learning this stuff in school).   So, she mainly wants me to provide the instruction for things like how to write an email and the Google apps (which I rarely use).  So looks like I'm going to finish up this year and then quit.   

• Sad 7

2 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

So the girl I'm dealing with for the Tech Tuesday job sent me the schedule for next year.  It's all online games.  That's it.  Online games, then computer programs (which we already discovered don't work here because of the age range and the fact that most of the kids here have been learning this stuff in school).   So, she mainly wants me to provide the instruction for things like how to write an email and the Google apps (which I rarely use).  So looks like I'm going to finish up this year and then quit.   

Yuck!  What a missed opportunity for them.  But better to end now than to continue to be frustrated working with her. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I ran out of Midsomer Murders on Netflix.  So now I'm trying out a new show - Hinterland.  It's set out in the "hinterlands" of Wales.  Very dark, brooding type show but so far I like it. 

I watched that.  Pretty interesting.  I'm almost done watching The Durrells in Corfew, so I'll need another one before too long.  I wish they'd hurry up with the next seasons of Schitt's Creek and Ozark and Stranger Things.

• Like 4

I just watered all the pumpkins in the Murder Patch. They will be the death of me. I'm in charge while the boy is gone, and I have a laundry list of "what to do while I'm gone" on the board regarding said pumpkin plants. But I can't die, because ITT.

I wrote about 5000 words on my writing projects. I still have some chores to do with the chickens, some character work to write, and two pieces to read and revise, and one to read and critique. That should keep me busy for the rest of the day.

• Like 8

We've spent the afternoon at the dentist. Checkups for 6 kids takes awhile.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, maize said:

Yes, yes it does.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, maize said:

Our dentist is right across the street from the library. Very convenient.

• Like 5

I will not murder my first born...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

54 minutes ago, maize said:

dh took the kids to the dentist today  Unfortunately, their appointment is tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Where's Toto? said:

dh took the kids to the dentist today  Unfortunately, their appointment is tomorrow.

I've done that.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

You have two spares. . .

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

You have two spares. . .

#felpful

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Ok. I ordered Alex's Tails from us, Knuckles from my dad, and Dr. Robotnik from Matt's parents because no one can afford birthday gifts this year. I think we're skipping the beach so Matt can work (but we'll go soon) and do a game night. He's requested sushi and ice cream instead of pizza and cake because he's completely normal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

Ok. I ordered Alex's Tails from us, Knuckles from my dad, and Dr. Robotnik from Matt's parents because no one can afford birthday gifts this year. I think we're skipping the beach so Matt can work (but we'll go soon) and do a game night. He's requested sushi and ice cream instead of pizza and cake because he's completely normal.

That's the type of food Gymnast requests, too. 🙄

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Renai said:

That's the type of food Gymnast requests, too. 🙄

We'll do cake (and ice cream) because of the candles, but I'm totally up for sushi!

• Like 5

Alex is having a bad day and I accidentally made it worse. He crushed his finger and it was bruised. He asked me to blow on it but I didn't understand what he was saying. At the same time he was pulling on the loose skin caused by the crush. So I cut the loose skin off and he cried and cried and cried! He asked me to blow on his finger to make it feel better and instead I cut part of it off. Best mom ever. :sad:

• Sad 6

My kids, to my knowledge, have never had sushi.  They are asking for it all the time, though.  One of these days I'll get some.

It's time to start putting labels on choir uniforms.  But I also have to deal with the turkey broth that has been simmering all day.  Imma do the broth, then banish the goat, then watch the last episode of The Durrells.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Junie said:

I'm *almost* a writer.  😉

I'm working on a high school literature/writing curricula.  I'm working on the framework this year and hoping to begin writing it soon.  It likely won't be ready for publication anytime soon, though.  Maybe in 10 years.  😞  I have to hand out some more high school diplomas here before I will have the time/energy that this project really needs.

Well you have two years to get together a beta version to try on my DS.  That should get you off your booty.

😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't think my kids have had real sushi. We do get California rolls sometimes.

I'm not a fan of the raw fish varieties.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

My kids, to my knowledge, have never had sushi.  They are asking for it all the time, though.  One of these days I'll get some.

$$$!

We make it. For his birthday we'll make it but buy some pretty pieces and disperse it throughout.

• Like 4

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

A little minipin (chihuahua sized dog ) came hurtling at Juliet. Fortunately the owner stopped it before Juliet ate it with one gulp 

Speaking of sushi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

54 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Well you have two years to get together a beta version to try on my DS.  That should get you off your booty.

😉

Well, ideally I would have liked to have had it for my own kids, but that isn't going to happen.  With ds18 we did homemade literature and WWS 1-3.  After he went to college we realized that wasn't adequate.  I am tweaking some things for dd16 and dd14.  I am hoping to have some of it done for dd12 to use.  

• Like 5

Ds18 and I are watching hockey.  This is the last game of the season.  Whoever wins this game wins the big, beautiful trophy.

Of course we are rooting for different teams.  😞

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Junie said:

Well, ideally I would have liked to have had it for my own kids, but that isn't going to happen.  With ds18 we did homemade literature and WWS 1-3.  After he went to college we realized that wasn't adequate.  I am tweaking some things for dd16 and dd14.  I am hoping to have some of it done for dd12 to use.  

I don't think I had the equivalent of WWS I. :sad:

Reason number 986 my kids are homeschooled.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't think I had the equivalent of WWS I. :sad:

Reason number 986 my kids are homeschooled.

Ds18's content is good.  He should have had more practice in formatting/documentation.  A lot of schools use the Chicago/Turabian style.  I grew up using MLA, so that is all that I taught.

The program that I want to write will require one paper every month.  I think that writing 9 papers of various length will give more practice with the actual writing of the paper with less emphasis on the content.  Content is important, but the formatting is where the weaknesses seem to be most evident.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maize said:

I don't think my kids have had real sushi. We do get California rolls sometimes.

I'm not a fan of the raw fish varieties.

Sushi just means vinegared rice. California rolls are real sushi. Sashimi is raw fish and is on some types of sushi. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Sushi just means vinegared rice. California rolls are real sushi. Sashimi is raw fish and is on some types of sushi. 

Yep. My kids favorite is Spam sushi. Just no.

(This is a slab of spam over vinegared rice mushed into the shape of spam. They really make all kinds.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Ds18 and I are watching hockey.  This is the last game of the season.  Whoever wins this game wins the big, beautiful trophy.

Of course we are rooting for different teams.  😞

That's what makes it interesting!  Cheering for the same team is no fun!

• Like 4

And sushi restaurants have not sushi. Fried mushrooms, oysters, seaweed soup, cake, pizza.

If you go out for sushi and something has orange sauce on it get it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We have flies in the house. I hate flies.

I killed one.

I hate flies.

Points for quoting myself.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yep. My kids favorite is Spam sushi. Just no.

(This is a slab of spam over vinegared rice mushed into the shape of spam. They really make all kinds.)

Yum!

• Like 1

I like a lot of kinds of sushi.  My kids don't really like it, although dd16 once ate some of mine that contained only veggies.

I do not like Philadelphia rolls.

• Like 1

I've never had sushi with Spam.  I don't think I've eaten Spam since the 70s.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yum!

Eww!

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

I like a lot of kinds of sushi.  My kids don't really like it, although dd16 once ate some of mine that contained only veggies.

I do not like Philadelphia rolls.

I'll take yours!

1 minute ago, Junie said:

I've never had sushi with Spam.  I don't think I've eaten Spam since the 70s.

Me neither.

• Like 2

Slache, you weren't even born in the 70s.

Have you never had Spam?

• Like 1