Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ds5 just carried up his clean laundry and is now spreading it out in the hallway, sorting it and stuffing it into his clothing bins.  While singing a made-up song about colors and occasionally hollering out "I wuv you mommy!."  So glad I still have a five year-old in the house.   🥰

Also, mental note to myself that he has apparently sorted his laundry by color this week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

(Last I checked, KonMari is neither married nor kidded and for all practical purposes is entirely unfelpful in the Hoarder Husband and No Toy Left Behind departments.)  

Yes, Marie Kondo (of Konmarie) has kids.

Edited by Renai
tagging Quackers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

It's Mrs Incredible! If I attempted yoga, I'd break something, for sure. My parts just weren't made to bend and stretch like that. Sigh

You need to do “Yoga for the Inflexible” on Amazon Prime. It’s the best thing I have ever done. They are 15 minute segments and they are very very gentle.i’ve been Doing that series since April and I have a definite improvement in balance and flexibility. She’s got a lot of other videos, too, that are more challenging that I am delving into from time to time, but the “Yoga for the Inflexible” series is still my go-to. I am not at all athletic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thanks for the reminder! I really need to list all the textbooks/curriculum we aren't using and get it gone. I took pics but haven't listed anything yet because I have no idea the best way to price out shipping.

I'm going to put the curriculum on ebay. I've weighed books at the post office, and after doing a few get pretty good about estimating the rest. The stuff I'm putting on FB Marketplace are going to be local pickups - mostly a bunch of holiday/Christmas stuff that dh brought from the estate they cleaned out.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Junie said:

just.stop.

just kidding.  I'm guessing that it's a lot easier to konmari two toddlers than it is to konmari 4 teenagers...

A smidge. I KMed the first time when they were like 4 and 2. About 10 bags of kids stuff to the dumpster or goodwill and to this day no one can tell you one thing that I got rid of. Then I laid rules down about gifts (and MIL didn't talk to me for months!) Now I'm trying to cultivate a lifestyle of simplicity, but sometimes I need to regulate because they will hoard trash and throw away treasures. At this point they are not allowed to toss anything without talking to me.

6 minutes ago, maize said:

Does it help your back?

Exponentially.

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Oldest would love this. Lol

No swinging. It's not as fun as it looks, but they do love it. And they use it as a chair.

• Like 4

Good morning!

Go Renai, go!

Was Julia glad to see you, Krissi?

Godspeed to all the AFSA/grocery shoppers!

None of our grocery stores are carrying Ore-Ida Steam and Mash frozen potatoes and I am feeling a bit put out.  Guess I'll have to cook potatoes the old fashioned way.  Or in the IP.

I met with my health coach this morning.  She expects that I just might be on maintenance by our next meeting (in 3 weeks).  That's a shock - I was hoping by spring!  And the weird thing is that I'm not exercising any more than before, and if anything I'm eating more than I was at the beginning.  

I have to drive the girls into The Big City again for dress rehearsal and performance.  At least it won't be during rush hour!  Then I need to get back and get started on Thanksgiving Meal Prep.  Must see what kind of strategy I can use to get someone else to chop a billion onions.  

More Coffee!

• Like 3

Dh has a niece who is a professional aerialist.  Seeing her do that stuff up close is amazing - such incredible muscle and control!  I would be tangled up in half a second with a broken collarbone.  I could see how hanging upsidedown would be very good for your back, though.  And relaxing.  Maybe.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Renai said:

They're already folding things the way she does, just by observing her. She did say she had to relax some after the 2nd child.

:laugh:

Yeah. I totally love some of her philosophies, and she definitely taught me a lot about keeping house that my mother never bothered to do like keeping all of the similar things in the same place. It really was life changing like the book title says! But the idea of only having four rolls of toilet paper in the house? Just no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like that swing.  It looks fun.  I have a student who does circus and does a lot of aerial silks.  

I'd love to try it but the frame to support it is probably much more expensive than the silks themselves.  Our ceilings couldn't support anything on their own. 

Edited by Where's Toto?

So far today I've washed dishes, set up school for the kids, researched for a class, printed out more Tai Chi routines for me, updated planners and calendars.

ETA:  A productive booya, but really I'm just trying to convince myself I've done enough and can go back to reading my book.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I like that swing.  It looks fun.  I have a student who does circus and does a lot of aerial silks.  

I'd love to try it but the frame to support it is probably much more expensive than the silks themselves.  Our ceilings couldn't support anything on their own. 

We use a pull-up bar, which is why there is no swinging. The pull-up bar is about 4 feet wide and almost as high as the ceiling. I don't remember how much it cost but it had to be less than $100. The swing is like $80 

• Like 1

Oi. The Thanksgiving thread. When Matt said we were moving to Indiana instead of Texas MIL announced that I would be hosting Thanksgiving from then on. At the time I didn't mind but as time goes on I keep thinking that I dodged a bullet.

We're not doing Thanksgiving this year.

57 minutes ago, Slache said:

Oi. The Thanksgiving thread. When Matt said we were moving to Indiana instead of Texas MIL announced that I would be hosting Thanksgiving from then on. At the time I didn't mind but as time goes on I keep thinking that I dodged a bullet.

We're not doing Thanksgiving this year.

That's OK.  We know you are thankful anyway.  (Yes, dodged a whole army platoon of bullets!!)

36 minutes ago, Renai said:

Well, pickup didn't go so easily. Long story short, it was an hour before I got back home...

Boo!! 

• Like 2

Well, I got the straw and a soaking bin out and printed out the instructions and templates for straw ornaments and mailed bills and got all the onions, celery, and mushrooms sautèd and cooked the rice and made the salad dressing.  After dinner I'll make the apple pie filling.

Dinner tonight is beef and/or bean tacos.  And a green salad.  Can you get romaine lettuce in your stores?  We can't here lest we become ill.  This happened last Thanksgiving, if I remember correctly.

5 hours ago, Slache said:

:laugh:

Yeah. I totally love some of her philosophies, and she definitely taught me a lot about keeping house that my mother never bothered to do like keeping all of the similar things in the same place. It really was life changing like the book title says! But the idea of only having four rolls of toilet paper in the house? Just no.

I would think her house would have a nice Japanese toilet with a bidet, so TP wouldn't be very important.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Dinner tonight is beef and/or bean tacos.  And a green salad.  Can you get romaine lettuce in your stores?  We can't here lest we become ill.  This happened last Thanksgiving, if I remember correctly.

I use Bibb when I want a lettuce, but mostly baby spinach* as my leafy green. I think I saw romaine in the store, but I'm not sure.

*Sometimes I order local produce through an online service, and the vegetables are listed by the type first (e.g., Tomatoes, Roma; Eggplant, Japanese). I smile every time I see Spinach, Baby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I would think her house would have a nice Japanese toilet with a bidet, so TP wouldn't be very important.

She told a story in one of her books about a mother who bought things in bulk. This woman had several hundred rolls of toilet paper, a few dozen things of floss Etc. She said that these things are clutter and steal your joy. I used to have a Costco membership and spending a quarter of what I normally would on toilet paper is the definition of joy! Do not take that away from me! I had a closet that was filled with toilet paper and paper towels and floss and toothpaste and all of that stuff. Not only did I spend very little money on it, but everybody knew that I had it and would come to me if they needed something before payday. I was constantly giving toothpaste and toilet paper to my in-laws and my neighbors and it was something nice that I could do since I couldn't really afford to do a whole lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Stalking. I looked at mine and it showed every post and reaction I've made anywhere on the forum. I had no idea I could do that.

:ohmy:

3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Just in case you need a reminder, leftover pie is the preferred breakfast every day.

FTFY.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Renai said:

"It’s never too early to learn how to tidy up,” Kondo said. "When children go through the sadness of letting things go, that can be a good experience for them. I wouldn’t want to eliminate such emotions."

Hmmm....  but the experience for me??  

It takes years of perspective to realize that the paper-and-recyclables-and-duct-tape-sports-car is not really worth taking up --oh-- the entire garage. Forever.

I just have no great strategy for guiding my children through letting things go.  Except modeling it myself, and hiding all the "creations" and kids' meal junk and relative gifts until they forget about them.  My two oldest now appreciate a clean room, so they can be trusted to dispose of some things during a clean-out.  But typically that's still just scraps of things that are clearly trash.  

Hence my ongoing battle with an overcrowded crawlspace. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have never noticed. I think I do that constantly though. I've been called rude for things I'd never consider rude. Regional, maybe?

Maybe regional or your own upbringing/family culture.  I'm sure I say stupid offensive crap all the time.  Like "crap".  :laugh:

10 minutes ago, maize said:

We karate'd

And Frozened

And tumbled

And karate'd again.

Sven. Go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I was referring to "swimming in the sea." I found an interesting thread so I posted. Junie found me and liked me. 😁

I wish I had an indoor pool. No sun block or bug repellent needed.

It's a swimming Booya(h)!™

I'm so disappointed! I'm like halfway to your place!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4