Menu

What's with the ads?

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

You don't know or it's not? Has she read/does she love ancients?

Oops.  I don't know.  He read Greece, Rome, Middle Ages, and Renaissance/Reformation.  I think he really likes biographies. 

Biography Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends
Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps
But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps... 

This is the thread that never ends...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Oops.  I don't know.  He read Greece, Rome, Middle Ages, and Renaissance/Reformation.  I think he really likes biographies. 

So does John. I have a bunch woven through our geography study but wanted to start Famous Men in our history studies in 4th. 

• Like 2

The kids had their last "home" rehearsal before their choir tour.  I was talking with a couple moms and am feeling sad that I am not going with them.  80% of the kids have family members going along (just for fun).  Some whole families plus grandparents!

• Like 6

Long day of writing, but I am averaging 5000 words a day at this point for the week. Trying to keep that up. Bedtime now, though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm home from all the places.  Is it bedtime yet?

Yes please

• Like 3

I think I'm dying of a potato deficiency. Can you die from that? Because I think I'm dying from that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

I think I'm dying of a potato deficiency. Can you die from that? Because I think I'm dying from that.

Oh I think so. Hearing Captain whine for "Fries!" every time he sees a McDs golden arches, you would think he was.

• Like 6

Seems we may all be allergic to this house. It had dogs, it smells like wet dogs, dog smell is in the vents, carpet, paint, under the appliances, etc.... No offense to you dog lovers should be inferred. Rashes, sneezings, scratchy throats, LOTS of tissues. 

I think dh's work likes to torture us with tantalizing 'possible' offers to move to Scotland. The latest: they want to start a department like what my dh does in the Dumferline office some time, maybe. His name is the top choice. I think I would rather they just kept that info to themselves until they are ready to actually make an expat offer! Yeah, we don;t get excited anymore. More like, "Oh really? That's nice."

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Slache said:

I’m so sad I can’t think of anything smart alecky to say right now. I know I’ll think of like three things tomorrow in the shower. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I'm getting all kinds of work done tonight. Now, I'm going to write a letter to the mortgage company and throw some money at them and insist that they take off the PMI. (Hmmm, when I put it that way, it kind of sounds like a... a.... house of ill repute.🤣)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I'm listening to Jack Johnson, drinking herbal tea and burning a coconut cilantro candle. It's nice.

12 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I’m so sad I can’t think of anything smart alecky to say right now. I know I’ll think of like three things tomorrow in the shower. 

Hide yo kids. Hide yo wife. I'm eatin everybody up in here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Seems we may all be allergic to this house. It had dogs, it smells like wet dogs, dog smell is in the vents, carpet, paint, under the appliances, etc.... No offense to you dog lovers should be inferred. Rashes, sneezings, scratchy throats, LOTS of tissues. 

I think dh's work likes to torture us with tantalizing 'possible' offers to move to Scotland. The latest: they want to start a department like what my dh does in the Dumferline office some time, maybe. His name is the top choice. I think I would rather they just kept that info to themselves until they are ready to actually make an expat offer! Yeah, we don;t get excited anymore. More like, "Oh really? That's nice."

Oh boy, that would be so frustrating!  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Oh boy, that would be so frustrating!  

GO TO BED!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Hey, Paradox5 was here!!!!!

Hacking and sputtering but here! Did I miss anything?

• Like 2

I forgot to cover my plants last night and it got cold. Not freezing, but in the 40s, for sure. From what I can tell just by looking at them, my plants seem fine, but I wonder how my tomatoes will do. The rest of the week is supposed to be 54 or higher overnight, except Thursday, which will be 48 or so. Should I cover them Thursday night? Would an old bed sheet work?

Just plugging along with school and work. I have a new 2 part project starting this week, and the kids and I are targeting household chores and routine this summer. I've let things slip in the last year, and I want to make a real effort in correcting poor habits (theirs and mine) before Baby comes.

Edited by ThatBookwormMom
Because it should be 'slip' (even though 'slop' was funnier).
  • Like 8

Good morning!

I slept really well last night.  Kids orchestra again today.  Choir uniform shirts need to go to the cleaners today.  We have ordered some things from Amazon that need to be returned.  It's only going to get up into the high 70's today!  Unbelieveably cool for mid-June!

Coffee!

• Like 8

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I ended up having a pretty good day yesterday.  I got bloodwork done so that I can see if I'm anemic.

Dinner ended up pretty good (even though I would have rather played MarioKart).  Steak, paella/yellow rice, peas, fresh cherries.

Ds18 and I watched the NBA playoffs.  It was a really good game.  

And I slept well.  Except I had a nightmare about doughnuts and pie.

• Like 9

Good morning!  I thought I wasn't going to sleep well because dh was snoring before I could go to sleep.  But I slept all night!

I need to start the dishwasher and laundry, and mix taco seasoning before we leave for work.  We will clean some after work.  Friends will be here by the weekend, but don't know yet which day.

I want a weight lifting bench, bar, and stuff in my garage.  My friend says dumbbells will be better.  Which should I do?  I don't want to spend a lot, but my goal this summer is start lifting, and I don't want to run to the gym or school field house every day.  Dh is helping me.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  I thought I wasn't going to sleep well because dh was snoring before I could go to sleep.  But I slept all night!

I need to start the dishwasher and laundry, and mix taco seasoning before we leave for work.  We will clean some after work.  Friends will be here by the weekend, but don't know yet which day.

I want a weight lifting bench, bar, and stuff in my garage.  My friend says dumbbells will be better.  Which should I do?  I don't want to spend a lot, but my goal this summer is start lifting, and I don't want to run to the gym or school field house every day.  Dh is helping me.

I agree with your friend.  I wouldn't want to use a bench without a spotter.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

I agree with your friend.  I wouldn't want to use a bench without a spotter.

Dh is my spotter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Dh is my spotter.

Ok.  I was imagining you wanting to do this through the day while he was at work.  

I've never used a bench (and I never will -- my arthritis makes my hands too weak) so I really have no other advice.

• Like 2

Good Morning!   My usually short Tuesday won't be quite as short because I have Tech Tuesday tonight.  Just one more after this one and I'm done with that for the year.   End of this week, I'm done with classes for the year.  

I stopped the IF the other day and also stopped the bone broth just because it was more work in the morning and I was mainly using it so I could not eat breakfast (otherwise my tea upsets my stomach).   Well, the past couple days I've been waking up super achy again.  Now I'm wondering if the bone broth was really helping with that.  So I'm back to taking that in my morning tea.  It's not many calories so I'm okay taking it even if I'm also eating breakfast.

I think I've finally convinced dh that getting a kickboxing bag for the classroom won't take up too much room.  I LOVE kick-boxing, it's my favorite exercise.  But it's really hard to find the time to get to classes around here and the bag at the Y gym is super light (even for me and I don't need that heavy).  So I"ve been wanting to get one for the past few months.  The actual class room at the science center has space, I only use slightly more than 1/2 of it for teaching.  It's about 14 x 24 with doors in the middle of both walls going to/from the lobby and the hall to the kitchen/bathroom.   I use the larger "half" to teach, it's where my screen is.  The other half has bookcases, my green screen (only used 4-5 times a year, it's on a roller shade), and is really only used for classes that are not done at a table, like robotics or when we built marble roller coasters.   The bag will be a free standing one that can be moved if necessary.

I keep telling dh that they always say to find an exercise you love, and that is what I love.  Plus I can use it at the end of the day after classes without having to go anywhere or do anything except maybe change out of my jeans.  

• Like 8

3 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I forgot to cover my plants last night and it got cold. Not freezing, but in the 40s, for sure. From what I can tell just by looking at them, my plants seem fine, but I wonder how my tomatoes will do. The rest of the week is supposed to be 54 or higher overnight, except Thursday, which will be 48 or so. Should I cover them Thursday night? Would an old bed sheet work?

Just plugging along with school and work. I have a new 2 part project starting this week, and the kids and I are targeting household chores and routine this summer. I've let things slip in the last year, and I want to make a real effort in correcting poor habits (theirs and mine) before Baby comes.

The plants should be fine. Here's info for the tomatoes: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/growing-temp-for-tomatoes.htm

48 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Dh is my spotter.

Dumbbells are more convenient in my opinion because you can just switch to the size you need without changing weights on a bar. But, I usually use them during recorded workouts when I need to change up quickly. On the other hand, the bar is more flexible because you can mix and match to get the exact weight you want. I guess I'm no help.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Morning. I have no advice on lifting weights. But I think a bench would be nicest. If you are just using hand weights, the kids can come and make you drop them so you can help them look for their shoes. But if they come out in the garage and Mom is benchpressing her body weight with Dad spotting, they'll probably go look for their shoes themselves.

Writing all day today. The boy can't find his shoes. Wish me luck.

• Like 8

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!

Hot!!!!!🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️😩 It’s supposed to be 105 degrees today. I hate summer.

Nothing else going on, except trying to stay cool. 

• Like 5

Our weather report sounds like the Apocalypse. Excessive heat, flooding (due to snow melt in the mountains because of excessive heat) and fire (in Northern California).

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I ended up having a pretty good day yesterday.  I got bloodwork done so that I can see if I'm anemic.

Dinner ended up pretty good (even though I would have rather played MarioKart).  Steak, paella/yellow rice, peas, fresh cherries.

Ds18 and I watched the NBA playoffs.  It was a really good game.  

And I slept well.  Except I had a nightmare about doughnuts and pie.

We stopped by my favorite farm stand yesterday and got a bag of cherries. The guy said that was the end of them for the season. I brought them home, put them in a bowl and between the kids and me, we finished them off as we did school.

I do not watch professional basketball. Who won?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I keep telling dh that they always say to find an exercise you love, and that is what I love.  Plus I can use it at the end of the day after classes without having to go anywhere or do anything except maybe change out of my jeans.  

This is true. I generally hate exercising.  But I have found that I do enjoy yoga and it is something I don’t have to force myself to do.  I think that the saying about curriculum, “The best curriculum is the curriculum that gets done” holds true for exercise, too.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

We stopped by my favorite farm stand yesterday and got a bag of cherries. The guy said that was the end of them for the season. I brought them home, put them in a bowl and between the kids and me, we finished them off as we did school.

I do not watch professional basketball. Who won?

The Golden State Warriors beat the Toronto Raptors 106-105.

The Raptors played an excellent game.  If they had won last night they would have won the championship (for the first time)!

I began the game rooting for the Warriors and by the end of the game I was disappointed that the Raptors hadn't won.

Ds18 began the game rooting for the Raptors and by the end of the game was glad that we get to watch at least one more game.  

• Like 4

I hate trying to work out schedules with people. I’ve been under the 8mpression for the last two months that FLL would still be on Fridays. Been asking over and over for a planning meeting. Left that day open. Now three days before the meeting I hear actually everyone wants it on Thursday. Already registered and paid for ballet Thursday afternoons. So either sacrifice school time Thursday morning or else ask abuelos. Ask abuelos. They don’t get back to me. Meeting in two days now. Scramble scramble. Ironically the leader had asked me way back if I just wanted “dibs” to pick the day and time myself but I didn’t want to be a tyrant. SHould’ve been a tyrant!

• Like 4

Good morning.  Lost a pound.  The first since January.   No one can accuse me of losing weight too quickly. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Zero days since last dog incident. Stupid utility workers came unannounced into the back yard, scaring Juliet (who barked from where she was hiding on the deck) and leaving my gate open. Fortunately a neighbor ran over and reassured Juliet and made sure that the gate was closed. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The inept chocolate company has finally apologized and said they will give me a refund. Elephant Ninjas may stand down.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

The inept chocolate company has finally apologized and said they will give me a refund. Elephant Ninjas may stand down.

Glad to hear it. All this back and forth with the bazooka has been exhausting.

😐

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

It's unseasonably cool here, too, so I took this opportunity to use a wee bit of my own thyme, parsley, and chives. I'm making chicken noodle soup. 😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It's unseasonably hot here. 

Here, too. We are holed up in the house with the AC running. I am not looking forward to seeing our electric bill. Hopefully our solar will be installed soon.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I wasn't sure if I should like that or be sad. Do you like the heat?

Today it is ok. Tomorrow might not be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s hot.  It’s rainy.  I love it here. ❤️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

dd8:  How do you spell "decisions"?

dd11: Choices.

Also dd11: How do you spell "choices"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I was telling ds14 and dd12 a little about going through airport security, and they said they'd already seen that before.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KrissiK said:

This is true. I generally hate exercising.  But I have found that I do enjoy yoga and it is something I don’t have to force myself to do.  I think that the saying about curriculum, “The best curriculum is the curriculum that gets done” holds true for exercise, too.

I like my Sunny glider.  I can do it in my room barefoot in my pajamas if necessary.

• Like 3