Menu

Ignore this thread!

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I would like to do something similar. Would you mind sharing your list?

They are from an Advent devotional they made at my church - I'll can post the list for you.

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I'm so disappointed! I'm like halfway to your place!

We'll get the beds set up - you're not allowed to drive all night.

• Thanks 1

Good morning!  

I have my Thanksgiving Prep Schedule and must get to work.  The kids are eager to help make pies, so that will be helpful.  I can probably get them to mix up a couple other dishes as well.  Dh has volunteered to go to the grocery store and get potatoes and sour cream - he has to go out and get stuff to fix the toilet anyway.  

Today really feels like a day off, so I'm going to start with putzing around with straw ornaments and the linen fabric and see what I can do with them.  

Coffee!

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

We are doing Thanksgiving dinner this evening because dd17 works in retail and works most of the day tomorrow.  No one is coming and we do rotisserie chicken and instant mashed potatoes.  And store-bought pie.  Thanksgiving at our house is about as low-stress as it gets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Happy Thanksgiving Eve! And Coffee!

🐢And Happy Belated 16th Nirthdays, Turtles!!  🐢

Friends have us over for Thanksgiving each year, so I'm very spoiled.  No cleaning, very little cooking (even though I insist on bringing a few dishes and pies.)   Which reminds me that I still need to make those pie crusts.  And buy apples.  

59 minutes ago, Slache said:

I think ikslo did it on accident and it stuck. 

My phone now autocorrects "birthday" to "nirthday".  Sadly, my new laptop is not so ITT savvy.

• Like 4

I'm stuck on gifts for Ds12. 

Twelve year-old boy gift ideas, anyone? He's my oldest so this whole "moving away from toys" thing is new to me. A welcome change, but I'm stumped. 

He wants slippers and books.  That's it. Oh, and Chinese checkers, but my mom already got that for the whole family.  Dh and I would love to get a tetherball for the backyard (where a swingset had been until a tree fell on it last spring), but it's not exactly easy to wrap or install or play with in the dead of winter in New England.  

Sports gear that I'm not thinking of? Events/activities?  

• Like 1

I'm spoiled too.  I don't have to do anything for Thanksgiving, except maybe help with the dishes afterwards.  My mother is of the opinion that even very nice disposable plates ruin the entire holiday and means that nobody cares.   But then she insists on using her good china and complains that she spends two days getting all the dishes done.   Can't really win that argument.  

This year I did have to clean since MIL is staying with us for the week, but it needed to be done anyway.   Now to see if I can keep it up at least for a little while.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Ok, I’m up!
Anyone have a recipe for mashed taters that makes them not taste like lumps of dishwater? 

Susan, I would love the list.

Happy Birthday, Turtles!

Happy cooking and such everyone!

I am thankful for ITT. I’m so glad I came in here. Y’all are great.

Drain them well. I just add a ton of butter, some half-and-half, plenty of salt and pepper, sometimes half a brick of cream cheese, occasionally Parmesan cheese and garlic.. I use a hand mixer to mash them, I like creamy mashed potatoes, not lumpy ones.

• Like 4

Dh's sister and her husband are hosting Thanksgiving.

I need to call and ask what would be best for us to bring, I know they've got all the basics covered already. If it's up to me I will bring dressing because other family members just do the boxed stuff and I really love good dressing. They may need more rolls though; if they do I'll put dd16 in charge because she likes baking much more than I do.

And I need to find out if they need our folding chairs.

I didn't intentionally leave this to the last minute, they just haven't responded to my texts.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Happy Thanksgiving Eve! And Coffee!

🐢And Happy Belated 16th Nirthdays, Turtles!!  🐢

Friends have us over for Thanksgiving each year, so I'm very spoiled.  No cleaning, very little cooking (even though I insist on bringing a few dishes and pies.)   Which reminds me that I still need to make those pie crusts.  And buy apples.  

My phone now autocorrects "birthday" to "nirthday".  Sadly, my new laptop is not so ITT savvy.

Is 12 too old for an erector set? John's Kindle paperwhite was a huge hit. We keep it on kids mode so there are no ads. Bike/skateboard/rollerblades.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Ok, I’m up!
Anyone have a recipe for mashed taters that makes them not taste like lumps of dishwater?

Are you not adding garlic to the potatoes while they cook? Or enough salt and pepper at the end?

DS is coming down with something. *sigh*

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

This year's Thanksgiving dinner will be ham (because we're heathens who don't like turkey), baked potatoes (because easier), canned corn, steamable green beans and peas, stove top stuffing, and store-bought Hawaiian rolls. Oh, and salad, and the pies and cake Dave bought yesterday. I'm looking forward to it, even if it is mostly convenience stuff.

Junie, I love your Thanksgiving dinner.

Whitehawk, I'm sorry your ds is sick.

I admire all of you who put on a big spread for holidays. Maybe one of these days I'll do that, too. 😁

Bookie, your dinner is really close to mine!  My kids prefer chicken to turkey and the rotisserie chickens at the grocery store are really good -- and easy.  We're also having Hawaiian sweet rolls and steamable corn and stove top stuffing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Junie said:

The girls just told me that they want a baby brother.

Ok.

6 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Yay, Slache! That's good news, right?

Junie, remind them that there's always the possibility of a sister instead.

We don't know. They want to talk. I don't know what that means.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

What did you say?

I left a review for Torino mentioning the financial burden the managers have put on our family as well as the maintenance and cockroach problems they have repeatedly refused to address and you requested that I email you directly. So what would you like to discuss further?

15 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I got all the daily Advent scriptures in a word document, cut some 6" pieces of straw and got them soaking in water, and got dd21's sewing machine set up and hemmed a piece of linen.  I think the ends are a little crooked.  Oh well - this one is the guinea pig.

Good night!

Ooh, please share Advent.

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Morning all. I was told all animals here are real except for the goat, so here goes: Happy Birthday, turtles! 🎉

😂 I forgot about them!

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I realized, after the fact, I forgot the "in the sea" part. Still come. We'll go indoor swimming, just not at my house. I have towels and Slachie's bringing the food.

Yep. I figured that one out all on my own as I sipped my coffee and played ketchup. I'm guessing Turtles is like Youngest, Oldest, and other such distinguishing nicknames for our children.

The Turtles are twins. Twin boys, of the human kind.

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

well, the “Historic Storm” has stuck. It’s wet outside. That’s all I have to say. Perhaps it had more to show for itself in Northern California.

I got lotsa work to do today to prep for tomorrow.

We got more snow this morning.

3 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I'm stuck on gifts for Ds12. 

Twelve year-old boy gift ideas, anyone? He's my oldest so this whole "moving away from toys" thing is new to me. A welcome change, but I'm stumped. 

He wants slippers and books.  That's it. Oh, and Chinese checkers, but my mom already got that for the whole family.  Dh and I would love to get a tetherball for the backyard (where a swingset had been until a tree fell on it last spring), but it's not exactly easy to wrap or install or play with in the dead of winter in New England.  

Sports gear that I'm not thinking of? Events/activities?  

12? TWELVE?! Good grief when did that happen?!

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Ok, I’m up!

Susan, I would love the list.

Happy Birthday, Turtles!

Happy cooking and such everyone!

I am thankful for ITT. I’m so glad I came in here. Y’all are great.

Mine is similar to 

I have never made stuffing.

Neither have I. We do cornbread dressing.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

44 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Gross stuffings I have known:

cornbread- why everyone likes this mushy, grainy, oniony muck is beyond me

oyster- just say no

dried bread stuffing that didn’t fit in the bird- did you miss the dry part? Blech!

Unrecognizable pile of grey glop- I think it was an alien life form at some point

Probably because the cornbread dressing I've ever eaten (grandma's and mother's, and recipe passed down to me) is not grainy, mushy or oniony. At all. I have sensory issues. It's not mushy unless it's not cooked all the way. Oniony would be a matter of personal taste. Ours has more sage, but not too much. A good dressing has a similar texture as regular cornbread, but thicker - at least ours does.

No to oysters here, too. Again, sensory issues.

Stuffing - I don't like croutons anyway, so flavoring them and recooking them never appealed to me. I have had some though - good flavor, but I can't get past the texture. I wouldn't yuck someone's yum, though.

• Like 1

I have never made stuffing.

:ohmy: Stuffing is really the only reason I even bother with a bird.  It's gotta be baked in the bird's cavity to be worth all the carbs/gluten, though.  

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Is 12 too old for an erector set? John's Kindle paperwhite was a huge hit. We keep it on kids mode so there are no ads. Bike/skateboard/rollerblades.

I'll look into the erector set.  Probably not too old for it, but I'm not sure it fits his personality.  Skateboard!  That might be fun for him.  He's never tried one. 

1 hour ago, Junie said:

For Christmas?  I'm not even sure Amazon Prime can pull that off.  You and hubby better get to it. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

This year's Thanksgiving dinner will be ham (because we're heathens who don't like turkey), baked potatoes (because easier), canned corn, steamable green beans and peas, stove top stuffing, and store-bought Hawaiian rolls. Oh, and salad, and the pies and cake Dave bought yesterday. I'm looking forward to it, even if it is mostly convenience stuff.

Junie, I love your Thanksgiving dinner.

Whitehawk, I'm sorry your ds is sick.

I admire all of you who put on a big spread for holidays. Maybe one of these days I'll do that, too. 😁

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Bookie, your dinner is really close to mine!  My kids prefer chicken to turkey and the rotisserie chickens at the grocery store are really good -- and easy.  We're also having Hawaiian sweet rolls and steamable corn and stove top stuffing.

These both sound lovely.  And peaceful.  Happy Thanksgiving to two of the wisest women I know!  

It's a Less is More Booyah!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

There's a fairly iconic scene where two of the guys (thugs?) take out a fella on a back road. There's the driver, and the guy in the backseat. The doomed guy is in the front passenger seat. After the guy in the backseat shoots him, they get out of the car, and the driver says to the shooter, "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

#priorities

Just now, ThatBookwormMom said:

I have no reactions still! I think the board has revoked my reacting privileges.

I packed the hospital bag today.

Good. Now start a big task you really want to finish. Then you'll go into labor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We are having Thanksgiving at my mom's house but dh is making the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and sweet potato/marshmallow casserole.  Mom is making some veggies, salad and picking up desserts.  We're having it at her house mainly because we don't have any space.  

So, my mother just called me because the key fob for her car isn't working (she has one of those new fangled autostart thingies) and she needs to go to the store.   (who goes to the store the day before Thanksgiving?? Especially if they don't work or have anything else that would keep them from going any other time?).  Anyway, I told her that dh was out at the store RIGHT NOW and if she called him, he could probably pick up what she needed.  (And yes, I do think he's insane to be out at the store on the day before Thanksgiving, but he was away all weekend picking up his mom, and had to work every day this week so far, and took 1/2 day yesterday to drive his mom into NYC to visit relatives, so he really hasn't had that much time, plus I think he's buying stuff for a dinner he's cooking Friday for homeless families).  I would go except he likes to make decisions when he sees what's available.

Anyway, mom said it was too much and she couldn't put all that on him, that she'd figure it out, and she hung up on me.   

So having him pick up a few things WHILE HE'S ALREADY AT THE STORE is too much, but dragging me out to pick her up and take her to the store and wait around while she does all the shopping so I can drive her back home, isn't too much?   All I'm doing is trying to plan 3 weeks worth of 15 science labs, plus homeschooling stuff.   If there was an actual reason dh picking things up wouldn't work, I would have gone to get her but she didn't even give it a chance, just hung up.  I'm not calling back.   I'm cranky. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Dressing is made (I don't stuff the turkey.  It's basic sage dressing from The Joy of Cooking, I think.) Sweet potatoes are in the IP.  My personal-sized  sugar-free gf (stevia sweetened) pumpkin and apples pies are in the oven.  12 linen fabrics have been ironed and are ready to hem.  I made 3 straw ornaments and now I am really good at making the clove hitch knot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advent Verses - for some reason there are no scripture readings for Saturdays.  The weeks start with Sunday.

Week 1: John 1:1-4;  Gen 3:2-15; Gen 22:15-18; Is 7:14 & 9:2-7; Is 11:1-9; Micah 5:2-4

Week 2: John 1:5-13; Malachi 1:49-50; Joel 2:12-13; Is 40:1-11, Heb 10:1-10, Is 60:1-4

Week 3: John 1:14; Luke 1:5-17; Luke 1:26-38; Matt 1:18-25; Luke 1:39-56; Luke 1:57-66; 

Week 4: John 1:14-18; Luke 1:67-80; Christmas Eve Luke 2:1-20; Christmas Day John 1:1-18

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

We are having Thanksgiving at my mom's house but dh is making the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and sweet potato/marshmallow casserole.  Mom is making some veggies, salad and picking up desserts.  We're having it at her house mainly because we don't have any space.  

So, my mother just called me because the key fob for her car isn't working (she has one of those new fangled autostart thingies) and she needs to go to the store.   (who goes to the store the day before Thanksgiving?? Especially if they don't work or have anything else that would keep them from going any other time?).  Anyway, I told her that dh was out at the store RIGHT NOW and if she called him, he could probably pick up what she needed.  (And yes, I do think he's insane to be out at the store on the day before Thanksgiving, but he was away all weekend picking up his mom, and had to work every day this week so far, and took 1/2 day yesterday to drive his mom into NYC to visit relatives, so he really hasn't had that much time, plus I think he's buying stuff for a dinner he's cooking Friday for homeless families).  I would go except he likes to make decisions when he sees what's available.

Anyway, mom said it was too much and she couldn't put all that on him, that she'd figure it out, and she hung up on me.   

So having him pick up a few things WHILE HE'S ALREADY AT THE STORE is too much, but dragging me out to pick her up and take her to the store and wait around while she does all the shopping so I can drive her back home, isn't too much?   All I'm doing is trying to plan 3 weeks worth of 15 science labs, plus homeschooling stuff.   If there was an actual reason dh picking things up wouldn't work, I would have gone to get her but she didn't even give it a chance, just hung up.  I'm not calling back.   I'm cranky. 

Perfectly understandable on your part!  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Renai said:

I'm one of the crazy ones that needs to go to the store the day before Thanksgiving.

I'm making a pie, and forgot that Gymnast ruined my pie plate. So I need one. And an ice chest to brine the turkey. And more cornmeal. And pickle relish. 

I have no idea why I multi quoted this.  So........a haiku:

Pickle Relish Gone!

Pie plate! Ice chest! Cornmeal too!

Gobble Gobble Woes!

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Advent Verses - for some reason there are no scripture readings for Saturdays.  The weeks start with Sunday.

Week 1: John 1:1-4;  Gen 3:2-15; Gen 22:15-18; Is 7:14 & 9:2-7; Is 11:1-9; Micah 5:2-4

Week 2: John 1:5-13; Malachi 1:49-50; Joel 2:12-13; Is 40:1-11, Heb 10:1-10, Is 60:1-4

Week 3: John 1:14; Luke 1:5-17; Luke 1:26-38; Matt 1:18-25; Luke 1:39-56; Luke 1:57-66; 

Week 4: John 1:14-18; Luke 1:67-80; Christmas Eve Luke 2:1-20; Christmas Day John 1:1-18

Archive!

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd10 is making the pumpkin pies.  I got the cheesy broccoli-rice casserole put together.  And cleaned out half the fridge because the freezer bag of vegetarian shepherd's pie was leaking from the top shelf.  The struggle is real.

More Coffee!

The leak is always on the top shelf.  It's a rule, I think.

Edited by lots of little ducklings
Unintentional quoting of Renai, followed by a rude failure to comment on said quote
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Renai said:

I'm one of the crazy ones that needs to go to the store the day before Thanksgiving.

I'm making a pie, and forgot that Gymnast ruined my pie plate. So I need one. And an ice chest to brine the turkey. And more cornmeal. And pickle relish. 

And cheese, macaroni, and bacon because Gymnast really wants mac and cheese. It took 2 stores and 2 gas stations before I found a foam cooler. [willynily]

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

And I’m at Target buying a Christmas tree. Still need to hit Kroger. AFSA and HEB stress me out.

Color lights or clear? Captain picked colored.

We use both outside. Colored on the inside tree, white lights on the pine tree growing outside, colored around the fence.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

For Christmas?  I'm not even sure Amazon Prime can pull that off.  You and hubby better get to it. 

Dd13 once remarked that you could buy almost anything on amazon.  I looked at her and said, "That's where we got you."  Her reaction was really funny.  (This is my kid with the best and goofiest sense of humor.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4