Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Well, it is an appendix. DH called me at 1:30am. They took him to Children’s Hospital in the Big City. It’s 8:00amPST and I just got off the phone with DH. They are waiting for an operating room.  So, I am going to have some COFFEE!!!!~D and wash the goat and then drive up there so he can come home. 

Hugs and prayers.

Did the appendix rupture?

11 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dd called dh in to kill a large spider in her room but he couldn’t find it. She is not moving off of her bed. I went in and moved things around to look for the darn thing and couldn’t find it either. 

HEY! My kid is arachnophobic, too! And, for her, "large" spider frequently translates into English as "microscopic." 🤨

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Junie said:

Hugs and prayers.

Did the appendix rupture?

No, it didn’t. You know, this is so frustrating. So, last night, we’re watching “Ant-man” and he starts complaining that his stomach aches. No fever, no malaise.... he just alternates between laughing at the movie and saying his stomach aches.  Well, there are any number of completely benign reasons a kid’s stomach can ache - gas, constipation, muscle strain.  Or, it could be appendicitis.  And do you want to sit in the ER for hours on a Friday night all for the doctor to tell you it was gas and to go home? I was so upset, I didn't know what to do. Fortunately, DH had had appendicitis before and he just said he was taking him to the ER. They took him in right away because about an hour after they left DH called and said he was being seen and they did tests and were waiting for the results. And then at 1:30am he called and said they were taking him by ambulance to Children’s Hospital.  They gave him a painkiller and an antibiotic at the ER, too, so I guess in case  it did rupture between then and when they could operate he wouldn’t die.

#parentingisnotforwimps

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

Ds19 had a ruptured appendix about 10 years ago.  He spent some time vomiting and lay on the sofa all day.  The swine flu was going around, so we thought that's what he had.  At one point he got up from the sofa and screamed in pain.  At that moment I was pretty sure it wasn't the flu.  We went to the ER and found out that his appendix was already ruptured.  We spent 3 days in the hospital watching a lot of sports on TV.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Aldi trip was uneventful.  Groceries are all put away, coleslaw for dinner is made, and I have to leave in a couple minutes to bring dd13 to s book club.  They read The Green Ember.  Tonight dd16 and ds14 have a tutorial swim & pizza party.  I will probably drop them off and dh will pick them up.

I am quite sneezy today.  Don't feel sick at all, though.

((Ds of Krissi)) Hope they get it taken care of soon!!

• Like 4

Is a bottle of wine and a card an appropriate gift for a newish neighbor who showed up yesterday to let us know that "he's remarrying today and there will be lots of cars parking on the street and loud music from their backyard and oh by the way please feel free to come by and celebrate with us and you can even come to the ceremony if you want" ?  

This was the first time we'd met newish neighbor, even though they've been here a year and a half (down the street a ways).   Other neighbors are going as well (some he knows, others like ourselves he just invited yesterday -- probably to smooth any ruffles the parking and noise might create-- so we really ought to pop by briefly during the reception, just to be neighborly, right?  

• Like 6

Oldest dd used to get upset stomachs a lot the year I divorced her dad.   She would always get a stomach ache on the Mondays she was coming back to my house so she could get sent home from school and I'd have to pick her up.   Called the doctor once or twice but since no fever, and it pretty much got better when we got home, we didn't really do anything except work with her on the stress.

Then one Saturday I was at work and my mother was watching her and called me because she had an upset stomach, vomiting and a fever.  So I left work, called the doctor and brought her in.  We were sent right over to the hospital where she was admitted, put on IV antibiotics, spent a week undergoing all kinds of tests and scans trying to figure out what was wrong.  We never did figure it out, they decided to let her fever spike and do some tests while it was up to see if they could figure it out and her fever didn't spike again and she went home a couple days later.  

I don't know what the doctor saw that had her sending us right over to the hospital but I felt bad that I had brushed off so many of her stomach pains and really thought we were wasting our time going to the doctor that morning.  

• Like 3

Can I just say, I'm all Grumpy Cat over here as I look for recipes online. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHQW8vV1LsMZGRzLY-Ec9

All I want is celiac-safe, braces-friendly, alcohol-free, preferably vegan (but I don't really mind a bit of egg), no-added-sugar food that we won't dislike and that won't take very long to make.

Apparently that is a can of beans and a smoothie.

*sigh*

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

No appendix experience here. My doctor sent me to the ER 3 years ago because of symptoms, where they did $12k worth of tests, found nothing wrong, made something up and sent me home with a prescription for antacids. By the time he came to pick me up, DH had the same thing. His lasted all week. His doctor never figured it out either. DS was unaffected.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

All I want is celiac-safe, braces-friendly, alcohol-free, preferably vegan (but I don't really mind a bit of egg), no-added-sugar food that we won't dislike and that won't take very long to make.

Apparently that is a can of beans and a smoothie.

*sigh*

We do the bolded; I'll look through my Big Book of Recipes and see what I can find that is vegan and no-added-sugar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it turns out that the library system's email has not been working for several days, so I had 2 overdue books that I owed $2 on and 8 books ready to be picked uo that had to be checked out by 5 or they would be released back into the system.  Good thing I decided to check my account at 4:30.  Sure would have been nice to notify everyone that they notification system isn't working.  I'm still getting event emails from them, so it's not like they have no way of doing it.

• Sad 2

Crispy Polenta Circles

(Gluten Free Quick and Easy)

1 tube prepared polenta

1/4 c. cornstarch

2 T. olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Cut the polenta into 1/4 in. slices.  Dust lightly with the cornstarch on both sides.  Heat the oil in a heavy, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook a few polenta rounds at a time, turning occasionally, until golden brown on both sides.  Drain on paper towels.  Repeat with remaining polenta.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

I usually serve these with spaghetti or pizza sauce.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

I just had a policy debate with DS about gun control, which he is against.  Because people need AK-47s to...fight off all those wild boars, ya know?  🙄

Alligators!

29 minutes ago, Junie said:

We apparently eat a lot of meat, cheese, and butter at our house.

As is right and proper.  Unless you're a vegian.

• Like 3

We watched Into The Spiderverse and had hotdogs and lemonade then John broke out in hives. We got three fifty cent pies, cut each in a third and gave each kid one of each, apple, cherry and blueberry. No one can remember the last time he has had cherry or blueberry so those are off the table until we have insurance. The pies are not new and the apples are common around here.

Funny story. My mother is deathly allergic to blueberries, but she also doesn't like blueberries so we never really think about it. One day for her birthday I ordered her three pints of ice cream from a local Cincinnati ice cream shop to be delivered at her house in Portland. I got her favorite flavor, my favorite flavor and something that was a little different. Blueberry pie ice cream. I told her that I remembered that she hates blueberries but that this ice cream was incredible and she absolutely needed to try it. She loved it. She ate it all in one sitting. Then she called me from the hospital three days later. She almost died. We had both completely forgotten her allergy and with our combined efforts nearly killed her.

No fun appendix stories.

• Sad 7

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

We watched Into The Spiderverse and had hotdogs and lemonade then John broke out in hives. We got three fifty cent pies, cut each in a third and gave each kid one of each, apple, cherry and blueberry. No one can remember the last time he has had cherry or blueberry so those are off the table until we have insurance. The pies are not new and the apples are common around here.

Funny story. My mother is deathly allergic to blueberries, but she also doesn't like blueberries so we never really think about it. One day for her birthday I ordered her three pints of ice cream from a local Cincinnati ice cream shop to be delivered at her house in Portland. I got her favorite flavor, my favorite flavor and something that was a little different. Blueberry pie ice cream. I told her that I remembered that she hates blueberries but that this ice cream was incredible and she absolutely needed to try it. She loved it. She ate it all in one sitting. Then she called me from the hospital three days later. She almost died. We had both completely forgotten her allergy and with our combined efforts nearly killed her.

No fun appendix stories.

Is John allergic to Red 40?  Some of my dds would react to that.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 10:33 PM, Junie said:

I should have weighed 300 pounds, but I had a very, very fast metabolism.

We all did 20, 30 years ago...

On 9/10/2019 at 5:27 AM, Susan in TN said:

Sorry. 

I might be wrong about about the pickled part. Not sure how they preserved heads in the 1800’s. 

Apparently, they macerated the head. It soaked in water until the meat fell off, then bleached the skull. It's all pretty gross when you read about it. Which I did, because I was curious, and now deeply regret it.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:12 AM, JoJosMom said:

The only McDonald's food that I will eat is an Egg McMuffin.

Now you know.

I read this yesterday (9/13), and had had an egg/bacon/cheese biscuit from McD's that morning.

• Like 4

Ok, so I am home. I drove up to Children’s Hospital in the Big City about mid-morning and told DH to go home. He’d already been up about 30 hours straight by then. Surgery was at 4:00PST. Fortunately, the appendix hadn’t ruptured, though the doctor said it was definitely infected. So, he will go home tomorrow. DH is spending the night and then tomorrow morning I will drop the girls off at church (they will go to Sunday School and then sit with my Mom during the service and go home with her after) and go up there and hang out until he is released.

• Like 10

On 9/10/2019 at 2:19 PM, Paradox5 said:

I don't wanna make dinner. Maybe we will go to McD's instead.

I prefer the Cobb salad from Chick-fil-A, though.

BK makes me sick.

The last time I went to Wendy's was years ago. It made my kids sick.

We hate Taco Bell. When I'm pregnant, I always crave one taco supreme then I'm good.

Whataburger is just plain gross. The fried apple pies are the only thing worth ordering.

Sonic is our other favorite.

I think Sonic and Whataburger are just Texas things?

Chick fil A didn't impress me the couple of times I went. Maybe I should try the Cobb salad.

We really like BK here, but I suspect the last time we ate there it made me sick. It could be we were driving, and I started reading something, though. Reading in a moving car makes me sick.

It's been a long time since I've had Wendy's. They must not have impressed me either.

I've never had Whataburger. But, if it's anything like Carl's Jr., I'll agree with you.

We like Sonic - it's Gymnast's favorite. 

There are three Sonics just in Santa Fe. The best one is housed in one of the Walmarts. I think there is a Whataburger in Albuquerque, but I don't remember...

On 9/10/2019 at 2:45 PM, Slache said:

Whataburger yes. I've seen Sonic in Mississippi and Oregon. I've never been and don't look for it but my kid loves the hedgehog and screams Sonic (from the backest back seat because he screams a lot) when he sees it.

I have never accommodated my children. I get judged for it a lot but I don't care. I don't have the patience.

I don't know what this is but it sounds better than Subway.

I don't accommodate for the kids either, unless it's chile in the food. Then I just cook the food like normal, set some aside for the weird non-chile eating person, and continue with adding chile to the bulk of the food. My kids grow up hearing, "This isn't BK; you can't have it your way.' I don't know if I'm judged for it, but that's probably because I don't care and don't pay attention to what people think about me.

Now on page 3589.

• Like 4

Good Morning, Happy Sunday.

Our fridge is definitely kaput.   My mother hates her fridge so we were considering buying hers off her for less money, then she would buy the new one she's been talking about getting for a year.  But her's doesn't have a water dispenser and since we're on a well, we like having the water filtered directly through the fridge.  So now it looks like we're buying a fridge.  Our old one was bought in 2011. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Sunday!!!

i slept pretty well until 6:15 when a cat walked over me. Apparently not all of them got put out last night.

I will be dropping the girls off at church and them heading on up to Children’s Hospital so DH can come home. They claim DS should be released around noon, but that never happens.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  Happy Sunday!  

Happy nirthday, Captain!

Lynn, you always pop in and cheer everyone on!  We love you!

I need to make a decision about going to church, and which church, today in just a few minutes, I guess.

I think everything else today will be at home, unless I take ds for a haircut.  

Awww, shucks!  ❤️

1 hour ago, maize said:

Good morning!

I've been fighting a cold all week. 

Some time I'd like to have one entire month without being sick.

(((Maize)))  I've been fighting a cold too.  I don't feel that bad, but I stayed home from church to keep from spreading germs.  (Having the house to myself feels absolutely luxurious!)  Hope you feel better soon!

52 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Good Morning, Happy Sunday.

Our fridge is definitely kaput.   My mother hates her fridge so we were considering buying hers off her for less money, then she would buy the new one she's been talking about getting for a year.  But her's doesn't have a water dispenser and since we're on a well, we like having the water filtered directly through the fridge.  So now it looks like we're buying a fridge.  Our old one was bought in 2011. 

Bummer that your mom's fridge won't work!  Last time we bought a fridge we saved about a $1000 (iirc) by not getting the cabinet-flush one.  We sacrificed a couple inches in the main walk-through into the kitchen, but it was worth it, imho. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Bummer that your mom's fridge won't work!  Last time we bought a fridge we saved about a $1000 (iirc) by not getting the cabinet-flush one.  We sacrificed a couple inches in the main walk-through into the kitchen, but it was worth it, imho. 

Our current fridge didn't fit and we had to remove the cabinet above it.  We basically just had the cabinet sitting on top of the fridge to keep things from falling behind.  I'm pretty sure we're just getting on the same size this time.  I hope so because there is really not a lot of room to work with in our kitchen. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Anyone know where I can get used bullet casings and/or bullets?  I'm doing a forensics class and want some to set up crime scenes and for demonstrations.  We don't have any guns, and live in NJ where they aren't that easy to get even if we did want one. 

A gun range might have some but most will collect them and refill them. 

I don’t know NU law but here I can just buy ammunition at a sporting goods store without proof of a gun permit etc. (obviously I would need one to buy an actual gun.). 

• Like 2