Menu

Ignore this thread!

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I get about a million mom bonus points. I played a desk top strategy game with Ds tonight. 

Holy cow, woman. You just got a Crown. And hopefully chocolate. And at least a squillion points.😳

13 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Good news. Nothing evil lurking in my chest.

Bad news. Yes. The swellings are indeed lymph node enlargement, which is what we thought. However, because no other lymph nodes (at this time) are enlarged, we are sort of in a holding pattern. There's no obvious reason why my lymph nodes are swollen, but they aren't exactly huge, and no others are enlarged. So, conservative approach at this time. They are setting up a CT scan for six months from now to check everything again. I'm not on for any rechecks, but will be monitoring my lymph nodes and checking any others for swelling, keeping track of what my energy levels are like (not so hot right now), and monitoring my weight (so far I'm still fat and sassy and don't seem to be losing). Anything changes, I'll be in demanding a biopsy. 

And that's General Hospital for today.

Yay for the lack of truly bad news and BOO for the lack of answers.  ((critter))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Well, ok then. We don’t have answers, but we have a plan and that’s something. I agree with the wait and see and monitor things approach. That’s what we are doing with my “female thing”, too. It sounds like you feel comfortable with that, yes?

Not entirely. But neither am I just anxious to go to biopsy without a waiting period. Sometimes you get a virus and stuff goes up and by the time you are investigating the swellings, the actual cause is gone. 

I'm comfortable enough to monitor my physical palpation findings, though. And I know to watch for weight loss, and fatigue unrelated to my usual summer depression, etc. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

This is me when I think about school:  😑

How does one light a fire under a 16-year-old booty? Without actually, you know, lighting said child on fire?

Well, my turtles are easily motivated by an afternoon at the lake, but...I might be in the homeschooling by wolves phase of my teaching career at this point.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

This is me when I think about school:  😑

How does one light a fire under a 16-year-old booty? Without actually, you know, lighting said child on fire?

Outsource?  😩 

Visit college campuses?  😬

Make them get a job?  A really unpleasant one?  😉

In other words, I have no idea.  😂

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ds was taking pictures of our strategy game and uploading it to . . . somewhere. . A bunch of gamers were apparently rooting for me.  But I lost.  (Which is ok.  I was kind of hoping that I would lose and then the game would be over!) 

I do not mind games like Clue (which is what we played for Mother's Day at my request) or Monopoly or Apple to Apples or. . . whatever.  But this was a complicated thing where you lay out little squares which all had complicated rules on how many spaces they could move and involved complicated math on what a roll of the dice meant as to whether one took out a tank or just disabled it or missed or whatever. 

I try to take an interest in what my kids are interested in.  When the kids were younger it meant playing Minecraft or Runescape with them.  Ds especially has needed this kind of interaction.  I had a whole cohort of young teen boys (around age 13) who would beg to play Runescape with me because their parents would never do it.  Some of them Skpyed my Sunday school class for awhile. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Ds was taking pictures of our strategy game and uploading it to . . . somewhere. . A bunch of gamers were apparently rooting for me.  But I lost.  (Which is ok.  I was kind of hoping that I would lose and then the game would be over!) 

I do not mind games like Clue (which is what we played for Mother's Day at my request) or Monopoly or Apple to Apples or. . . whatever.  But this was a complicated thing where you lay out little squares which all had complicated rules on how many spaces they could move and involved complicated math on what a roll of the dice meant as to whether one took out a tank or just disabled it or missed or whatever. 

I try to take an interest in what my kids are interested in.  When the kids were younger it meant playing Minecraft or Runescape with them.  Ds especially has needed this kind of interaction.  I had a whole cohort of young teen boys (around age 13) who would beg to play Runescape with me because their parents would never do it.  Some of them Skpyed my Sunday school class for awhile. 

👑

25 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

As far as motivation for young ladies go, I've found that frozen  yogurt is the ticket here.  We celebrate a lot of little progress markers with froyo. 

I'm thinking that what's behind Door Number 1 might work better here. Or Second Son on the Play Station. God help me.

Some of it, I think, is that she's tired. Having a major surgery in the middle of the school year is not conducive to learning efficacy. But we have an outsourced class that NEEDS to get done. The rest of the class is done, but we have 6 more weeks. The teacher has been incredibly gracious, but I fear that we are treading into "taking advantage" territory.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

👑

I'm thinking that what's behind Door Number 1 might work better here. Or Second Son on the Play Station. God help me.

Some of it, I think, is that she's tired. Having a major surgery in the middle of the school year is not conducive to learning efficacy. But we have an outsourced class that NEEDS to get done. The rest of the class is done, but we have 6 more weeks. The teacher has been incredibly gracious, but I fear that we are treading into "taking advantage" territory.

Boy do I get that feeling. What can she do for herself to celebrate each week of work done? Is there something she wants to do that would be restful?

ETA: Good learning experience, too. Sometimes what looked doable at the first of the year becomes difficult, or even impossible later. What are the options for not completing the class? What happens with an incomplete? How would she deal with this situation in college, because it happens.  Life gets you. Good things to talk about. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Ugh. I had a check up with my regular doctor (haven't seen her in a while) and did a blood panel. Everything was great except cholesterol, which was really high. When I asked dh if he'll raise Gymnast right if I die, he walked out. Then he came back and said he'd send her to my mom and asked if that was okay. I said okay, since that is what I prefer anyway.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

43 minutes ago, Renai said:

Ugh. I had a check up with my regular doctor (haven't seen her in a while) and did a blood panel. Everything was great except cholesterol, which was really high. When I asked dh if he'll raise Gymnast right if I die, he walked out. Then he came back and said he'd send her to my mom and asked if that was okay. I said okay, since that is what I prefer anyway.

I think now would be a good time to remind you of the rules.  ((Renai))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

(((Critter)))  Sorry for nothing definite, except the good news of no scaries.

It feels like it's been a very long day.  But alas, it's the same length as yesterday.  I can't wait until the weekend is over.

No. Definitely longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am resting. I did all the things.... including school, lunch, dealing with the garage door guy (DS backed into it a month or so ago), runnng to the post office, getting gas and going to the market to get half-and-half (I drank the last of it this morning, thereby constituting a crisis).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I wish it was Friday.  I'm tired.

Dh is down at his parents again.  His mom is in the hospital with a systemic infection and they have to test a few other things once they get that figured out.  His dad is still pretty bad with the dementia but evidently can't do anything about getting them in assisted living without a bunch of stuff that's going to take time.   Probably too much time.

• Like 5

I have work tomorrow. I also probably have yet another lymph node enlargement in the back of my knees. Took pictures, palpated and measured. Sigh. Will be monitoring both legs, but cracked up when I wrote down in my calendar medical notes: popliteal lymph nodes enlarged, 16.5 inch circumference left REAR leg.😂 

At least I can objectively measure. Will be calling again on Monday to report and see if it isn't time to start setting up some referrals in case they are needed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I have work tomorrow. I also probably have yet another lymph node enlargement in the back of my knees. Took pictures, palpated and measured. Sigh. Will be monitoring both legs, but cracked up when I wrote down in my calendar medical notes: popliteal lymph nodes enlarged, 16.5 inch circumference left REAR leg.😂 

At least I can objectively measure. Will be calling again on Monday to report and see if it isn't time to start setting up some referrals in case they are needed.

Okay, I know that this is not good, but that was some SERIOUS hilarity, right there.

I ❤️ you, critter!

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 5

You guys, I'm getting my violin back!

The violin that was mine in high school that my mom gave to my sister when I was 17 because she was majoring in music in college and needed a better instrument and mine was better than hers. It's a complicated story but it broke my heart.

But the violin is finally coming back to me. It's been at my mom's house the last few years and she is going to bring it out in July when she comes to visit.

I've been crying all day, but happy tears this time.

Edited by maize
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, maize said:

You guys, I'm getting my violin back!

The violin that was mine in high school that my mom gave to my sister when I was 17 because she was majoring in music in college and needed a better instrument and mine was better than hers. It's a complicated story but it broke my heart.

But the violin is finally coming back to me. It's been at my mom's house the last few years and she is going to bring it out in July when she comes to visit.

I've been crying all day, but happy tears this time.

:wub:  Together again!  

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

The headache was manageable before 1 and I slept well.

I'm still wearing sunglasses, though.

Ds18 got a second job yesterday!  Hopefully between his two jobs he'll be able to piece together 40ish hours.

Standardized test scores are in.  All is well (enough).  There were no big surprises.  One of the dc is still struggling with math. 😞

• Like 7

Good morning!

Yay for sleep, Junie!  And :dry: for the earworm.  That's the worst!  :laugh:

(((Jean)))  praying things improve for you today!

How are you doing, Krissi?  Feeling OK?

I'm doing camping grocery shopping this morning and a wedding rehearsal tonight. In the mean time, I need to get working on end-of-year books inscriptions.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Happy Friday!  Two spaced out classes today and D&D.  I have to run home between classes to pick up the kids since dh is down in south jersey.   

I have a workshop scheduled for tomorrow but nobody has registered or told me they're coming.  But two people (who I don't know) said "Going" on the Facebook event.  If it was just "Interested", I would still cancel but "Going" is different.  So I guess I may be doing a workshop tomorrow.  It's one I've done before and isn't hard to set up so I'll go to the science center in the morning and see if anyone shows up.   Next year I'm requiring registration AND payment at least 24 hours ahead.  

This is my last workshop for the year.  I have one more Kid's Night Out scheduled, three more weeks of classes (not counting Memorial Day week, I'm off that week), D&D each of those weeks, then it's summer camp time.   Camps start the Monday after the last day of class, so no break there but I'm off 4th of July week and any week I don't have registrations.  Registration deadline there is a week ahead. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Renai said:

I have to give back the violin I borrowed from Gymnast's violin school some time this summer. I'm seriously thinking of renting one this upcoming year.

What size instrument does she use?

Sometimes you can get good quality used instruments on eBay for the price of a few months' rental. This makes way more sense for my family as more than one child will use the instrument but it can make sense even for one child. If you want to look into it I can give you an idea of what models to look for.

Hey it's a violin Booyah!

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

Flying out to Fort Worth, TX tomorrow.  Have an ASQ World Conference to attend next week, but I get to spend the weekend with my sister and family. ❤️

Wish DH and DS could come to visit my sister, too, but I’ll just have to suffer through the trip on my own.  :svengo: 😂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, maize said:

What size instrument does she use?

Sometimes you can get good quality used instruments on eBay for the price of a few months' rental. This makes way more sense for my family as more than one child will use the instrument but it can make sense even for one child. If you want to look into it I can give you an idea of what models to look for.

Hey it's a violin Booyah!

Ah, I should clarify. I bought Gymnast's instrument. The one I rent would be for ME. I borrowed one so I could learn along with her (it's a Suzuki thing, I think), but I'm thinking of continuing. If I rent for 6 months and then buy, they credit the 6 months to the purchase. I'd rent first to make sure I want to continue. 🙂 

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D (I’m drinking Mariposa Morning this morning, instead of my usual McDonald’s Breakfast Blend)

Friday!!!!

School!! Allergy shots for DD1. Dinner at my parents’ house.

I’m feeling behind again. I had a dream last night that I went to a potluck and I was late, my phone battery just died and I was supposed to bring garlic bread, but I had forgotten and everyone said they weren’t mad and one of the gals said she already went to the store and picked some up, but I could tell they were all annoyed and thought I was completely irresponsible.😩 And as I am writing this out, I realized that one of my biggest fears in life is to be thought of as completely irresponsible. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Lego Lass got a 96% and Snugglebunny got a 98% on the First Form Latin final. I was pretty impressed. Dry as the Gobi but it got the job done!

Congratulations. I love the Form Series. Yes, they are dry, but they do indeed get the job done.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D (I’m drinking Mariposa Morning this morning, instead of my usual McDonald’s Breakfast Blend)

Friday!!!!

School!! Allergy shots for DD1. Dinner at my parents’ house.

I’m feeling behind again. I had a dream last night that I went to a potluck and I was late, my phone battery just died and I was supposed to bring garlic bread, but I had forgotten and everyone said they weren’t mad and one of the gals said she already went to the store and picked some up, but I could tell they were all annoyed and thought I was completely irresponsible.😩 And as I am writing this out, I realized that one of my biggest fears in life is to be thought of as completely irresponsible. 

I thought this was going to say mimosas.  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have 10 3 hour shifts a week now. 7 nights, 3 mornings. It won't last long as they're trying to get him into a home.

3 hours ago, ikslo said:

I forget - any if you near Fort Worth?

4 hours away. Come see me.

3 hours ago, Spudater said:

Hey Slache, I just saw Fluent Forever put out an app. What do you think of it?

It's still in beta. Has potential. Expensive.

• Like 6