Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

Yay for Homeschool 101!

Dd15 has tutorial today and dd20 has an eyedoctor appointment (squeezed in last minute before going back to school).  Dd12 and ds13 (with their children's choir) are singing the national anthem at a (minor league) baseball game tonight.  Dh has thankfully offered to come home a little early from work and take them to the game.

Laundry!

Coffee!

Poor forgotten Booyah!  Makes the Queen weep.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

We've got school today, plus I plan to do some more literature planning.

Also, chauffeuring.  And the kids probably want to eat sometime today.

I have to figure out if ds17 is registered for the selective service and registered to vote.

I need to plus-one the ages in my signature of my summer birthday kids.

Also, I'm going "shopping" in my basement for fall/winter clothes for my niece.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

There's a plane that landed in Nashville (from LAX) that is being quarantined.  No one is allowed to use the bathroom!  :ohmy:

4 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Hope everything is okay!  But if you told me I couldn't use the bathroom, I would need to immediately!

I would almost bet money that my sister is on that plane.  This is exactly the type of thing that would happen to her.

I hope that the situation isn't as serious as what it sounds and that it all gets resolved quickly.

• Like 2

Good morning. I have art a little later, and revising to do this morning. I want to be through Chapter 20 by Saturday. The last third of the book is the easiest revision to do, but I want the middle third clear before I go to the end and work forward.

• Like 3

Junie's post was a shock - today is Thursday!  I kind of knew it intellectually since I knew yesterday was Wednesday, but for some reason it's still a shock.  I have less than a week to the first open house day for my science classroom/center.   We have made great progress with setting up so we should be ready, but for some reason today being Thursday it feels so much closer than yesterday did.

I keep waking up in the morning gasping for breath.  I'm 99% positive it's because of my allergies/allergy induced asthma.   We've had air quality warnings a lot lately due to excessive heat/humidity, now pollen/ragweed/mold counts are also high (my biggest trigger), I'm working at the classroom a lot and the AC isn't working (the place actually stays cool extremely well since one wall is underground and we are on a bottom floor but AC helps with filtering allergens), our bedroom doesn't have AC since it's an add-on and dh closes the door in the morning when he gets up so the AC from the living room isn't getting in, plus by morning I'm sure my allergy medicine (Benedryl) has worn off, and I find that having hot tea in the morning helps clear things up but I haven't been having it lately because even with the AC I feel hot and sticky and don't want a hot drink (probably a little bit of hot flashes there).   I almost slept in a chair in the living room last night but I think I"m going to try and have dh leave the door open in the mornings and see if that helps first.  I'd rather be woken up by him moving around or lights (if that even does wake me up, probably won't), then gasping for breath after dreaming about being unable to breathe.   And I am having my hot tea this morning.   I wonder if a portable AC unit with HEPA filter would help.  The room is extremely small so it wouldn't have to be a big unit.

Today I have to run to the library to return and pick up books, run by the classroom to drop off some orders (we still have deliveries shipped to home since we don't want things left outside if we aren't at the classroom) and paint another coat on a green screen, then back home to do some cleaning and laundry.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

The girls helped me bag up some clothes/books/toys for my niece.

We have a whole trash bag full of clothes -- sizes 6/9 months and 12 months -- for fall/winter.

We had to sort through what to give and what to keep.  My brother has a (large, shedding) dog and I have allergies, so I am giving the clothes, not loaning them.  Also, I don't want my dsil to have to keep track of what needs to come back to me and what doesn't.  Clothes we decided to keep --

a very few dresses that have survived all 5 girls -- if we were to have another girl I would want pictures of her in the same outfits her sisters all wore.  (one of them was given to us by my father who passed away before most of the girls were born.)

one or two outfits that would be all wrong for dear niece's beautiful bright red hair

a few outfits that the girls wanted to keep

Marie Kondo would be proud of us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just realized that my current tightness in my chest isn't anxiety but a need for Mucinex and/or an inhaler. Sigh. I took Mucinex, since I won't have an inhaler until later today (hopefully... my doctor said she'd call one in this morning). I can't imagine you folks living in smoky areas. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Junie's post was a shock - today is Thursday!  I kind of knew it intellectually since I knew yesterday was Wednesday, but for some reason it's still a shock.  I have less than a week to the first open house day for my science classroom/center.   We have made great progress with setting up so we should be ready, but for some reason today being Thursday it feels so much closer than yesterday did.

I keep waking up in the morning gasping for breath.  I'm 99% positive it's because of my allergies/allergy induced asthma.   We've had air quality warnings a lot lately due to excessive heat/humidity, now pollen/ragweed/mold counts are also high (my biggest trigger), I'm working at the classroom a lot and the AC isn't working (the place actually stays cool extremely well since one wall is underground and we are on a bottom floor but AC helps with filtering allergens), our bedroom doesn't have AC since it's an add-on and dh closes the door in the morning when he gets up so the AC from the living room isn't getting in, plus by morning I'm sure my allergy medicine (Benedryl) has worn off, and I find that having hot tea in the morning helps clear things up but I haven't been having it lately because even with the AC I feel hot and sticky and don't want a hot drink (probably a little bit of hot flashes there).   I almost slept in a chair in the living room last night but I think I"m going to try and have dh leave the door open in the mornings and see if that helps first.  I'd rather be woken up by him moving around or lights (if that even does wake me up, probably won't), then gasping for breath after dreaming about being unable to breathe.   And I am having my hot tea this morning.   I wonder if a portable AC unit with HEPA filter would help.  The room is extremely small so it wouldn't have to be a big unit.

Today I have to run to the library to return and pick up books, run by the classroom to drop off some orders (we still have deliveries shipped to home since we don't want things left outside if we aren't at the classroom) and paint another coat on a green screen, then back home to do some cleaning and laundry.

A portable ac with filter runs about $250-300. If you want a $30 solution, put a MERV 15 rated 14x14 HVAC filter ($15) on the draw side of a cheap box fan. It’s kinda ghetto but it totally works. You can tape it or the suction from the fan should be enough to hold it in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. The news last night said that our air quality is the worst in the world right now. I suspect that it would be worse right in the middle of a fire but maybe they weren’t counting that. They had charts with different air quality readings on it to prove their point so I guess I will just have to take their word for it. Not that it really matters.

We are trying to stay indoors. Dd was short of breath after being outside last night and going outside gives us a sore throat. 

• Sad 5

Where’s Toto: the other changes you might consider making would be from switching from a 4-6hr med like Benadryl to a 24hr med like Zyrtec or Allegra, and adding a nasal corticosteroid spray like Flovent/fluticasone. 

If you truly are having problems breathing, it is absolutely key to go in and get inhalers. We have had friends die from untreated asthma and it’s sadly not all that uncommon. ? A peak flow meter is $10-15 and a great way to stay on top of how well your lungs are moving air.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. The news last night said that our air quality is the worst in the world right now. I suspect that it would be worse right in the middle of a fire but maybe they weren’t counting that. They had charts with different air quality readings on it to prove their point so I guess I will just have to take their word for it. Not that it really matters.

We are trying to stay indoors. Dd was short of breath after being outside last night and going outside gives us a sore throat. 

I heard that on the news, too. Worse than Beijing. I’m so sorry!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am literally waiting for paint to dry.

I found more freaking nail holes in the walls, and did another round of patching and painting. I really think I have them all taken care of on the main floor now.  After living in three states in three years, I am never letting my house "go" again. It's just too much freaking work to get market ready otherwise, and I have no idea if this will be our forever home.  I'm pretty sure it's not (not retiring in a 2 story home if I can help it).  As I get older, I just don't have the energy to do it all at once. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Where’s Toto: the other changes you might consider making would be from switching from a 4-6hr med like Benadryl to a 24hr med like Zyrtec or Allegra, and adding a nasal corticosteroid spray like Flovent/fluticasone. 

If you truly are having problems breathing, it is absolutely key to go in and get inhalers. We have had friends die from untreated asthma and it’s sadly not all that uncommon. ? A peak flow meter is $10-15 and a great way to stay on top of how well your lungs are moving air.

I have tried every allergy medicine under the sun and Benedryl is what works the best for right now.  Claritan and Zyrtec don't work for me, Allegra and Singulair make me crazy - severe anxiety and crankiness.  Benedryl I can take only as needed, works right away, doesn't keep me awake (like Sudafed), and doesn't seem to cause mood issues.  I take 1/2 a dose and that's enough to clear things up.    The nasal sprays helps some but I'm prone to bloody noses and sinus infections.  A saline rinse has helped with nose stuffiness but doesn't seem to help the wheezing.

I do have an albuterol inhaler.  In the past it's been very very rare that I've actually needed to use one as long as my allergies were controlled.  I have been using it when I get up each morning and it does help, but staying in the AC seems to help even more.  I have thought about getting a meter since I don't have one.

• Like 1

Six threads down?? Priorities, people. Priorities.

ok, this whole Aretha Franklin thing is killing me. My talk radio station is doing a show on her and people keep calling in, talking about her and the intersperse her songs.... I just lost it when they played “Natural Woman”.

• Like 2