Menu

Ignore this thread!

Can we talk about urban/suburban crime for a minute?

There have been four shootings in the subdivision behind me in the last month.  Two of them were people who had committed crimes who were trying to get away.  One of them was a drive-by with a 9mm. One of them was ??? No details in the newspaper or crime report, but police helicopters were overhead from 2-4am.  In addition, we can no longer put outgoing mail in the mailbox because of regular mail theft throughout our part of time.  Dozens of cars are broken into every night.  We can no longer park in our driveway, but must pull in to our tiny, tiny garage. There have been home invasions(!) 

Part of me thinks that this is just naive farm girl waking up to the rest of the world, and part of me is ready to pack up and move.

Within half of mile of your house, what is living like?

Worse than this which is strange because we live right by Nike, Oracle and Intel. Our old apartment had gunshots heard at least once a month, at least twice in the actual complex in the 4 years we lived there.

There have been four shootings in the subdivision behind me in the last month.  Two of them were people who had committed crimes who were trying to get away.  One of them was a drive-by with a 9mm. One of them was ??? No details in the newspaper or crime report, but police helicopters were overhead from 2-4am.  In addition, we can no longer put outgoing mail in the mailbox because of regular mail theft throughout our part of time.  Dozens of cars are broken into every night.  We can no longer park in our driveway, but must pull in to our tiny, tiny garage. There have been home invasions(!) 

Part of me thinks that this is just naive farm girl waking up to the rest of the world, and part of me is ready to pack up and move.

We moved from an inner city high gang area to where we are now.  There are property crimes here:  mail and identity theft and car break-ins but no shootings. 

If two of the shootings were by police, then I wouldn't count them.  I mean, they are shootings but I would count those as within the line of keeping public safety (unless they were stepping over the line like some of the ones in the news). 

Edited because withing isn't a word

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

There have been four shootings in the subdivision behind me in the last month. Two of them were people who had committed crimes who were trying to get away. One of them was a drive-by with a 9mm. One of them was ??? No details in the newspaper or crime report, but police helicopters were overhead from 2-4am. In addition, we can no longer put outgoing mail in the mailbox because of regular mail theft throughout our part of time. Dozens of cars are broken into every night. We can no longer park in our driveway, but must pull in to our tiny, tiny garage. There have been home invasions(!)

Oh, Prairie!! I am sorry. We live in a small town, lots of poverty, high gang activity. In our specific subdivision, though, I think the only crime is break-ins. I don't go walking after dark in our neighborhood anymore, though.

I just finished writing a scathing review of Belmont University's "come get to know us" event we went to last fall - part of a survey they sent asking for feedback on their admissions process. The President of the university has been thoroughly admonished, though he may have been over-medicated that morning. His speech was embarrassing.

Anyone else need a dressing down? I'm on a roll!

What happened??

• Like 1

Necesito más café. Or something. Crack?

I hear that's bad for you. 

Well, we've only been here for 2 months, but I don't think we've heard any gunshots (yet). There were some people doing noisy fireworks every night at about 9pm for the month surrounding the 4th of July, but they seem to have finally quit (maybe they ran out of fireworks, or got bored, or maybe the police finally got the memo that if there are fireworks at the same place, same time, every day, it's easy to ticket those people). I'm kind of refusing to go look up crime stats, so unfortunately I can't help you with that... I looked them up just before we moved here and our street was colored yellow and the surrounding streets light green (where we lived before was entirely dark green, which is the lowest crime color... red is the highest crime color). Now, our street has a big public high school on it, so that might or might not have anything to do with the crime. The stuff I saw listed when we moved here was not super concerning... the occasional burglary or car break in, but not tons of either, and realistically those things happen everywhere sometimes. What did happen the first week after we moved in was that as I walked to the car I saw two probation officers in bullet proof vests walk up to our house, so I asked them who they were looking for, which was the guy temporarily staying with our upstairs neighbor. Now, when I asked them if I should worry they said no, and I do know people get on probation for minor stuff all the time, but I'd never seen a probation officer before in my life, so, I wasn't super amused about that. Thus far nobody has bothered to cut our screens or push our window fans out of the window in order to break in, and I think one of the kids left their car door unlocked one night, so, not too terrible, especially since we are in an urban neighborhood. 

(((prairie)))

We've lived in our current home for about 7 years.  Several years ago someone broke into the unlocked cars in our subdivision.  I think there was one break-in on another street.  We hear gunshots, but it's target shooting.  There are a lot of hunters here.

No mail theft that I know of.  No vandalism.  It's pretty quiet.

And, our neighbor's house is for sale.  ;)

• Like 3

I had to give up caffeine because it was making my blood pressure sky rocket. And what I've heard about caffeine helping applied to children because it has an opposite effect than on adults, no?

We gave caffeine to my son with ADD before we put him on a Rx.  On a kid who does not have ADHD/ADD, it hypes them up.  On a kid who does, the stimulant helps all those neurons fire properly because of the vasoconstriction + higher dopamine levels.

I am having one Diet Pepsi this am and will assess. 

• Like 5

If two of the shootings were by police, then I wouldn't count them.  I mean, they are shootings but I would count those as within the line of keeping public safety (unless they were stepping over the line like some of the ones in the news). 

I absolutely would count them, since they indicate the presence of criminals bad enough to be worth shooting at (or police gone wild, like you mentioned, which wouldn't be any better). 

Btw, I used to go for walks at 1am sometimes, but not since we moved... now I'm not comfy walking around for the sake of walking after about 10:30 or so (I have walked around the block after dark, just not crazy late). 

Yes. Before they came out on TV. In fact, since they've come out, who knows if he'll ever finish the series, and I don't watch the tv shows.

Love? Hate? English or Spanish? I watched the first few episodes a while back and LOVED them but the teA! Oh, the teA! Someone could get pregnant from watching that show.

I hear that's bad for you. 

So is being fat, but that hasn't stopped me.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

Huh. The weather service gave a severe thunderstorm warning and says to go to an interior room on the lowest floor in your house... for a thunderstorm that is 35mph with gusts of 60mph and quarter-size hail? I'm confused. They normally don't tell you to go hide for thunderstorms like that, though normally they don't mention hail... but still... seems overkill? We don't have an interior room (I mean, the hallway between the kitchen/bedroom/bathroom/living room is sort of interior, but doesn't have doors on two ends), and technically they're telling me to go to the basement... which floods, and they say flash floods might happen. So... ???

I did close two of the windows, because for a moment it did seem like the thunderstorm fancied itself to be a hurricane (okay, exaggeration, since I've never been in an actual hurricane I don't think). Seems to have died down a lot already... seems like it's just mildly raining now. 

Edited by luuknam

Huh. The weather service gave a severe thunderstorm warning and says to go to an interior room on the lowest floor in your house... for a thunderstorm that is 35mph with gusts of 60mph and quarter-size hail? I'm confused. They normally don't tell you to go hide for thunderstorms like that, though normally they don't mention hail... but still... seems overkill? We don't have an interior room (I mean, the hallway between the kitchen/bedroom/bathroom/living room is sort of interior, but doesn't have doors on two ends), and technically they're telling me to go to the basement... which floods, and they say flash floods might happen. So... ???

I did close two of the windows, because for a moment it did seem like the thunderstorm fancied itself to be a hurricane (okay, exaggeration, since I've never been in an actual hurricane I don't think). Seems to have died down a lot already... seems like it's just mildly raining now. 

It's because tree branches or lawn chairs can get blown through windows.  It's not because of the hail.

:grouphug:

:grouphug: I can't really relate, Prairie. Where I'm at the crimes are mostly dogs killing chickens or getting into garbage, or abandoned animals. :glare:

Same here.

We don't have a lot of crime, but we live in the middle of nowhere. We hear gunshots fairly often, bit it's usually because someone found a rattler.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Same here, except no rattlers.  More likely hunting or whatever.  

• Like 3

It's because tree branches or lawn chairs can get blown through windows.  It's not because of the hail.

See, but I've never seen them tell people before to go hide for 35mph thunderstorms with gusts of 60mph. Those are pretty common around here, so it's odd that they gave that warning this time. Maybe it was just a different person typing up the warning. 

Boeja!

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 3

I have oral surgery (2nd and final wisdom tooth removal) scheduled for November when Matt's home *anyway* so I don't have to worry about anything. I'm going in on Friday and he's going back to work the Monday after a full week home. It's $28 and I love the surgeon.

• Like 5

There is not much crime directly in my neighborhood, which is essentially a big circle with no through traffic. The neighborhoods that back up to some of the yards are a trailor park and government housing. We sometimes hear shooting from those areas and I was once on a jury for a drug case that took place there. But we feel pretty secluded and safe on our street. There was a break-in at an empty house last year and the police came after a report of a guy checking for unlocked cars one night.

I'm having a time. Trying to shampoo the stairs. The circuit breaker has flipped for the third time. I have to climb over all sorts of hazards in a semidark garage for the third time. And I'm not sure how clean the stairs are even getting because I can barely lift the shampooer on the stairs. Ok - going to flip the #%^*+ breaker again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a time. Trying to shampoo the stairs. The circuit breaker has flipped for the third time. I have to climb over all sorts of hazards in a semidark garage for the third time. And I'm not sure how clean the stairs are even getting because I can barely lift the shampooer on the stairs. Ok - going to flip the #%^*+ breaker again.

Is it flipping from the shampooer? I mean, it's not good to keep unflipping a breaker over and over. I guess uncluttering the garage is next up on the to-do list?

#nevershampooedcarpets

#nocarpets

• Like 1

I'd be moving (if I could afford it).  That's crazy to me.  

Then again, I lived in DC for a year and you get used to stuff.  Of course, I didn't have a child to think about back then.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3

Seriously?  How old was he at the time?

Probably about 6th and 7th grade. He had completed Greek for Children so it was the next step. He went very slowly, though. It's challenging to do on your own. I think he finished 1/2 of the book when he signed up for Lukeion. In a way, he was unprepared for how Lukeion was going to be once the class caught up to where he had left off because he thought he knew it all and didn't need to learn study habits. 

He really likes Greek and he likes to do hard things. At some point, since I quit studying along him, I couldn't do much more than give him the answer key to check himself. Use the workbook. But I take it you were kidding?  :laugh: DS used to tell me all the time that I required too much. Now that he's in Public HS he really thinks I required too much but he appreciates it. He says I ruined him for normal school.  :glare:

• Like 2

Probably about 6th and 7th grade. He had completed Greek for Children so it was the next step. He went very slowly, though. It's challenging to do on your own. I think he finished 1/2 of the book when he signed up for Lukeion. In a way, he was unprepared for how Lukeion was going to be once the class caught up to where he had left off because he thought he knew it all and didn't need to learn study habits. 

He really likes Greek and he likes to do hard things. At some point, since I quit studying along him, I couldn't do much more than give him the answer key to check himself. Use the workbook. But I take it you were kidding?  :laugh: DS used to tell me all the time that I required too much. Now that he's in Public HS he really thinks I required too much but he appreciates it. He says I ruined him for normal school.  :glare:

Not totally kidding, no.  Well, about the doing it himself, not about using Athenaze.  I have my Athenaze from highschool and figured I would use that instead of buying new curriculum and just go slow.  Of course, so far we haven't had any time to do any languages.  We only got in one science day - a rabbit trail - and one day of geography.  So I need to figure out what he can do more of during the day so we can focus on math and languages when I am home. 

Because I want to still be able to take him to the park when I get home.  He needs get out the wiggles.

I do require a lot.  But too bad.  If he doesn't like it, he can go to PS.  (He does not want to go to PS.  So my way it is!)

• Like 2

Is it flipping from the shampooer? I mean, it's not good to keep unflipping a breaker over and over. I guess uncluttering the garage is next up on the to-do list?

#nevershampooedcarpets

#nocarpets

Yes, it was flipping from the shampooer.  I got it done.  I'm shaking from fatigue now and am in pain but I'm done.  If dh points out that the stairs look just as dirty as ever he very well may end up wearing the shampooer around his neck - or end up stuffed into it. 

Now I have less than an hour to eat lunch, shower and then drive forty minutes to pick dd up from the campground where she is with her day camp and then an hour to the children's hospital where we will have what will probably be a 15 minute consult. 

• Like 4

We're back from the Old Lady Party. I talked with the daughter of one of the elderly ladies and it turns out that that elderly lady is the wife of a gentleman who was at the nursing home until a couple years ago. They've been married 67 years. I loved that old guy. :) Toward the end of his stay he could only communicate through whistling and he started chewing on the tablecloths. We happened to be there when he was leaving for a new care facility and he grabbed my arm and wouldn't stop kissing my hand. :wub:

Ruby's great-grandson is starting 6th grade on Monday and she is so proud of him. :)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 8

I have never shampooed my carpets.   :leaving:   (You all wanted to know that, right?)  And now you're too grossed out to come for a visit.  We'll just have to meet up on the island instead.  

Me, either. I just.... can't get around to it.

I am actually considering joining the Northern California indian tribe that just burns down their huts when they get too nasty and builds new ones.

• Like 7