Menu

Ignore this thread!

Beautiful birdsong

Soundtrack of insomnia

I would like to sleep

I slept for about an hour before dh woke me up for church. I have yet to decide if I'm going to church or going back to bed.

Very nice haiku!!!!

I hope you get some rest this morning!!!

It shows strength of character, when, in the midst of misery and insomnia, one can haiku.

• Like 6

Gymnast is having a really good time, despite anxiety. She came off the stage Friday night after her second character, with this huge smile. She kept saying how she used to be really scared, but now she wasn't and she got out there and really did it and she really liked it and she did really good and she wasn't scared any more. :D

• Like 10

Gymnast is having a really good time, despite anxiety. She came off the stage Friday night after her second character, with this huge smile. She kept saying how she used to be really scared, but now she wasn't and she got out there and really did it and she really liked it and she did really good and she wasn't scared any more. :D

This is so cool. What an awesome chick!
  • Like 1

I recognized 3 songs - Born to be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride, and their cover of Muddy Waters' Hoochie Coochie Man. They performed well but it was definitely a concert for hardcore fans. 

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I asked the kids who would like to go to a Steppenwolf concert, and Broccoli was like "I don't know", and Celery was like "1% chance" or something along those lines. Then I played Born to be Wild on YouTube, and Broccoli was like "definitely" and Celery "definitely not" (barbarian, but not unexpected), and then some parts of other songs and then nobody wanted to go. Plus, it'd be 2 days after their Toronto concert, and since they're apparently from there, they'll probably spend all their energy there and the Lewiston concert might be one of the relatively worse concerts on their tour. 

I do want to take Broccoli to some concert of *someone* sometime. Too bad for Steppenwolf it won't be them... the median(&mean) age of Broccoli and me is <20. 

• Like 1

We stopped by Kroger on the way home from church to get some sage and then when I got home I discovered that my northern beans did not cook well. :banghead: I had to throw them all out and go back to Kroger to get canned.

I was so grumpy over the beans and tired from the late night that I made everyone eat "manager's special" glazed donuts and bananas for lunch.

The onions and mushrooms are cooking for farmhouse chili. Which is not really chili, but that's what The Joy of Cooking calls it.

• Like 4

We take ds up Aug 18. :eek:

Hey, I was thinking about you this morning - was your ds waiting on having tests? Has he felt well?

That's the same day we move dd into her dorm.

Ds still has some dizziness, but all the tests they did for celiac and whatever else came back negative. I don't know if they are looking into other possibilities or not. Dh still feels dizzy but hasn't seen an ENT. Maybe some day. :D

• Like 3

That's the same day we move dd into her dorm.

Ds still has some dizziness, but all the tests they did for celiac and whatever else came back negative. I don't know if they are looking into other possibilities or not. Dh still feels dizzy but hasn't seen an ENT. Maybe some day. :D

:grouphug:  for ds and dh and you.

As for your dd....  very exciting!  Do you have a big pile of stuff to move in with her?  A friend of mine and I have been laughing at the difference between dorm preparations for her dd vs. for my ds.  Very different experiences, lol.  We spent less than an hour at the AFSA and were basically finished.  

• Like 3

Good morning. Our internet did not go yesterday.

Disgustingly hot, humid weather again. I am ready for October now, please and thank you.

We are back from our trip, safe and mostly sound (I caught a nasty cold virus towards the end).  I'll catch up as I can over the coming days.

We stepped out of the airport in Dallas and were hit with a hard wall of UGH.  We came from highs in the upper 60s and low 70s with humidity in the 60% range back to the full brunt of a Texas summer.  We have just driven home from Dallas, and walking into our house felt cool and pleasant compared to outside -- it is 85 degrees INSIDE (we have the a/c cooling things down again, but it will take a while).

I want to go back to Alaska until about mid-October.

Enough whining.  I'll try to put up pictures sometime in the next week or so.  Silly me set us up with appointments the very week of our return, and I need to figure out this online photo bucket sharing trick.

We had a lovely time!!!!

• Like 10

Good morning. Our internet did not go yesterday.

Disgustingly hot, humid weather again. I am ready for October now, please and thank you.

Oh, and just to say -- I have 28 pages, about 1400 posts, to get through to catch up.  Anyone want to start a pool as to when I'll finish getting through them all?

• Like 2

I'm taking a day to write, y'all. I got some information this morning that makes me want to push up my Camp finish as quickly as I can and get onto some serious polishing work on the initial chapters of my book. And write a query letter. :svengo:

Now I'm on pins and needles to see if you shared more on this development in the time I have been away!

• Like 1

Well then definitely get to work, Critter.  You have an island to purchase for me us to satisfy your own personal dream.

There are some rather nice, affordable ones for sale in SE Alaska, complete with sea lions, bald eagles, and humpback whale proximity!

• Like 3

(And watch her sob in the car for 8 hours, put her to bed in a hotel, and then put her on a plane at o'dark thirty.  Le sigh.)

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

If you were a quart sized freezer bag holding a ball of twine, mini clothespins, and very small, clear 3M hooks, where would you be hiding?

(Slache, I already looked in the place and the other place. You're not there.)

Claimed by TSA as improper to carry on the plane.  I think they took it.

• Like 4

That's early October here (although I don't time the sunshine). My pleasant summer happens to fall in early autumn; in actual summer, we get the fires of hell, with steam.

We don't have a leisurely summer schedule. It's just less predictable. (October and March are probably the most predictable times of year.) And now I need to go hop into Jean's tackle thread.

Our Octobers and Marches are always hectic, predictably hectic.  But the temps are much nicer than now.

Our timing was pretty good on our trip.  The cruise just before ours (running in the opposite direction) had overcast, cold, rainy weather at each of the port stops.  We had sunshine and relative warmth every day, until the last at-sea day (when I was holed up in our room feeling contagious and packing everything up, so I didn't feel like I missed out on much).  The mosquito season was winding down, and the black flies weren't very noticeable either.  I think between bug repellent and covering up I only got one bite, and it wasn't as itchy as our Texas mosquito bites.

Everyone told us, however, than in just another week or so the trees will start their fall foliage color change, so I'm a little sorry we missed that.  Still a wonderful trip, though!

• Like 3

I need to, too. Actually I need to do lots of things. Lots and lots of things. Some of them expensive things ..... like buying DS's iPad for school 😡😡😡 (the school he's going to is a good school, but they require iPads and do most of their work in iPads and we are not happy about that at all) and pre-purchasing Disney tickets 😱😱. Disneyland is so expensive. That's probably why we go once every 6 years or so. I hate spending $$.

I'm pleading illness and not doing any of the myriad things.  DH and DD13 are running to the closest grocery store for a few things to tide us over until I'm less contagious/gross and can actually think about cooking.

I want a boat.

• Like 2

Okay, I've ketchupped.  No mustard.

I am at 37.75 hours for the week.  It's Tuesday.  This is going to be a long week. 

[Educational Post.

Reported.]

Add to my Job #1 duties the fact that Job #2 (educational guide) is tentatively scheduled to start Monday.  I just received the materials for part of that job and continued my planning last night.  I got through half of the history assignments.  The really cool part is that HO1 Modern Times includes some poetry, and we're hitting MCT poetry hard this year.  I planned that out last week.  And now the HO poetry is lining up pretty well with what I already had planned for memorization.  And the one that wasn't already on our memorization list came up in HO the exact week that I had accidentally skipped over in my planning of MCT, so I just slipped it right in there.  It was just meant to be. :)

I have lots more to plan.  Plus with Job #1 being crazy busy right now, you may not "see" a lot of me in the next week.  Maybe, but maybe not.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   That's some good planning!

• Like 2

Don't let the eclipse sneak up on you without getting your glasses!

I got some glasses!  I was smart and got them before going on the trip.

Now, to just remember as the eclipse approaches....

• Like 2

If only it were that simple. I need to know what box, if any, it's in (it's technically possible it was used up just before the move and I need to buy more, though I don't *think* that's the case). 

Go buy more, open it and use some.  Then the hidden stuff will appear and you will have surplus.

• Like 1

Btw, the other has not turned up (yet). 

The egg in vinegar has almost lost its shell. When it's completely lost its shell we'll shrink it, and then grow it, and then bounce it. Maybe we'll color it too (before the bouncing, obviously... the bouncing is supposed to test how high you can drop it from without it breaking, i.e. eventually it will break).

• Like 2

But you're missing the entire experience! You need to be in a crowd of people, sick from undercooked fast food and smell like goat from your car's AC not working. And you all need overpriced T-shirts that Matt made. And slurpees. Without those things it's just not the same.

This reminds me -- would you post links to Matt's eclipse shirts again, please?  If you post them today I should reach the links in time to order before the eclipse....

You'll notice when it's dark at 10AM. Matt's off for the day. John's stoked.

The eclipse happens in the middle of the afternoon on the East Coast.

It's a good thing that ds16's soccer practice is scheduled for early evening.  They don't have lights on the field.

And my little kids don't know about it yet.  They pester me about enough stuff.  I don't need them asking "Is it eclipse day?" for the next two weeks.   :D

• Like 6

I'm also that mom that waits until the last minute to tell the kids most things.

When ds16 was almost 3 we went on vacation to San Diego.   :001_tt1:  We told him 10 minutes before we boarded the plane.   :laugh:

(He thought we were just at the airport to *watch* the planes.  He didn't know he was going to ride in one!)

And, yes, he was  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  for the next 10 minutes, which was OK because we were already in the boarding area, not trying to maneuver around a large airport.

• Like 7

Junie, if you have any extra rain in August, can I have it?

Our neighbors took very good care of our place while we were gone.  DBIL and DSIL, on the other hand, had a much different experience.  They hired a family member to watch their place and dogs and cat and plants while they were gone.  Said family member didn't do a very good job -- made messes all over the house, didn't water ANYTHING (dead plants inside and out), piled stuff ineffectually in front of the gap the dogs squeezed through in the gate instead of screwing on a board to stop them (her boyfriend works construction, so we don't buy the don't-know-how argument), left the dogs loose in the house unattended for hours (instead of putting them in their kennels) so now one sofa pillow is torn and there's a hole chewed into the top of the back of the sofa, hadn't returned the car she borrowed (borrowed with permission) and when asked to get it back by morning (DBIL needs it for work) simply said "Your mornings and my mornings are different."

Said young relative was paid half the agreed-upon sum up front.  She will not be getting the other half.  She didn't even wash the dishes she dirtied, and left smelly diapers in trash cans in every room in the house.

• Like 1

This reminds me -- would you post links to Matt's eclipse shirts again, please?  If you post them today I should reach the links in time to order before the eclipse....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07479YM4K

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0745MYS3P

One's USA, one's Oregon.

The eclipse happens in the middle of the afternoon on the East Coast.

It's a good thing that ds16's soccer practice is scheduled for early evening.  They don't have lights on the field.

And my little kids don't know about it yet.  They pester me about enough stuff.  I don't need them asking "Is it eclipse day?" for the next two weeks.   :D

And you don't want them to be disappointed if they cancel it.

• Like 3

I've seen a fair share of lunar eclipses on mornings when I had to go to work early. I like the color of the moon when that happens. Very neat.

I have a picture of one of my boys during a partial eclipse of the sun. He was a toddler, and he's sitting in the floor, tracing the half-moons made by the light with his finger. It's the picture I think I most wish I could paint.

Well that one, or the one where he went out on a windy day when he was young, grabbed the air in both hands and danced around with it. :001_wub:

Those would make great paintings!

• Like 2

Note to self: Eat dinner.

DD16 has let the cat out.  And in.  And out.  And in.  And out.  And in.

The cat continues to yell.  "What do you want? I don't know what you want!"

I explained that the cat wants to yell at us for being gone two weeks.  Again.  With strangers coming by this time.

"Oh, okay.  Yell away."

• Like 5

Ask her to sing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Some guy called in to the radio and his Siri sang it on the radio. It was hilarious!

I have to remember to tell this to DD13 when she gets home.  She has an iphone.

The cat is also yelling because she's frustrated.  She finally has people letting her out again and it's stinkin' HOT.  She wants to go out, but not in that heat.  But she's been cooped up inside for two weeks -- WHY WON'T THE WEATHER JUST COOL DOWN AND COOPERATE?

• Like 2