Menu

Ignore this thread!

I think I'm too lazy to type out all my plans so I'll just continue to be a woman of mystery.

Especially since I'm on an ipad and have to do all the typing with one finger.

Meh, maybe I'll feel like it later. Oooo, keepin ya guessing...

A stealth homeschooler.

• Like 2

I think I'm too lazy to type out all my plans so I'll just continue to be a woman of mystery.

Especially since I'm on an ipad and have to do all the typing with one finger.

Meh, maybe I'll feel like it later. Oooo, keepin ya guessing...

Go to the library and type it up on the computer there.

Making lists helps me think.

Argh!

I think I'm dying of death. Which is why I've been on ITT all day instead of doing all the things. All the things can be done tomorrow.

Argh! I agree. Though I'm not sure what the dying of death thing is about. Are you not feeling good? I hope you feel better soon?

I just wasted an entire day on here (and on YouTube, and on Buttershots... wonder when I can drive to B&N... I'm pretty sure I'm below the legal limit, but I'm not sure I should be driving), but I don't have kids this week, so this is definitely the time to waste time. Though maybe not on here discussing next year, lol. 

Edited because I wrote discussion *again* instead of discussing. See, I need to waste more time before I'm safe to write, at least. 

Edited by luuknam

I have almost $50 worth of pens in my Amazon cart right now. I absolutely do not need to proceed to check out. I'm still waiting on the planner that I didn't really need to buy. 

I'm just going to leave them there and see how I feel about them after pay day.

• Like 2

Some places don't have a minimum age/grade, iiuc. I haven't memorized the details yet, other than things are really variable across the US.

In California, it's up to the individual community college, and it varies widely even in the same geographic location. My dds attended one that accepted students as young as 14; they were not dual-enrolled, either. They were "student under 18 not enrolled in high school." They paid the same tuition as adult students (which is crazy inexpensive in California) and they earned college credit. Dual-enrolled students at this c.c. did not earn college credit; they earned high school credit. Once they graduated from high school, they didn't have to repeat the classes they had already taken, but they had to take classes that equaled the amount of credit they had earned for high school, IYSWIM.

• Like 1

I have almost $50 worth of pens in my Amazon cart right now. I absolutely do not need to proceed to check out. I'm still waiting on the planner that I didn't really need to buy.

I'm just going to leave them there and see how I feel about them after pay day.

I cannot even fathom this. I'm using baby shampoo because I can't afford new shampoo right now.

Some places don't have a minimum age/grade, iiuc. I haven't memorized the details yet, other than things are really variable across the US.

I don't think there is a minimum here, but I'm not sure. They never asked Dancer's grade, but her birthday was on the paperwork.

• Like 1

My doctor is running 45 minutes behind. So I get to ITT!

That's very behind. 

ftfy

Ooooo!  You beat me to it!

I hear a xylophone. Babiness is oppose a be seeping.

Aww!  Hims doing hims music pwactice!  :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

• Like 8

That sounds awkward. Mine just have quadrupod or immature tripod grips that aren't quite right, iirc. Basically, they're normal grips, just not age appropriate. Of course, they're not here to check.

Quad grip is a valid grip, and there are two tri grips if I remember correctly.

Oh, and I absolutely hate grammar programs that show you wrong stuff and ask you to fix it. No fixing errors. I don't want the brain to get used to seeing wrong things before they know the right way. 

And by grammar I don't just mean grammar. I mean all things related to language mechanics. 

I completely agree with this.

I hear a xylophone. Babiness is oppose a be seeping.

Did him get it for him's birfday?

• Like 3

I cannot even fathom this. I'm using baby shampoo because I can't afford new shampoo right now.

DH just got a bonus so we have a little leeway right now. But even so, I should put that money to other more important things. It is very rare that I even get to buy something for myself so I am considering it.

• Like 3

Oh, and I absolutely hate grammar programs that show you wrong stuff and ask you to fix it. No fixing errors. I don't want the brain to get used to seeing wrong things before they know the right way.

And by grammar I don't just mean grammar. I mean all things related to language mechanics.

I agree. Teach it before trying to correct it. But, I may be affected by the type of kid I have. Then again, I try to think of what if I had to do this in my second language? I'd want to know why it was corrected the way it was, not just get it right because it sounded better.

I am all caught up grading the algebra that has been handed in.  Unless dd has some more work in her room, she's farther behind than I thought.

I am all caught up grading logic.  She is totally done with that subject. 

I still have grammar, literature, geography and biology to work on tomorrow. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

I am eating my favorite summer lunch. And it happens to be perfectly low-carb and healthy, too!!

Peel one large vine-ripened tomato and cut into wedges.

Slice a bunch of avocado on top.

Add a little salt and some Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing

Top with a pile of Kirkland canned chicken mixed with a bit of mayo.

It is delicious!!

• Like 4

Okay mom, I went outside and played. Okay, not really. I walked to the playground we spotted on the way home from camp though. It's actually quite close - I'm not sure why I hadn't spotted it on Google Maps, but I'm not going to bother to look it up right now. The only problem is that the kids would have to cross a fairly busy road to get there, so I can't send them alone (but I could potentially walk them across the road and then go back home and wrap up some things I needed to do... not for too long, of course... not sure it'd be worth it). If my almost 10yo wasn't on the spectrum I *might* consider letting them go without me... but he *is* on the spectrum, and while he has been going to the playground alone crossing quiet residential roads, he hasn't been in charge of Broccoli while doing so, and being together could be a big distraction. Maybe a year from now (though we plan to move when our lease is up). 

• Like 3

I've been working all morning tweaking History Odyssey- Middle Ages for DD for next year. Adding in more biographies (trying to merge Famous Men of the Middle Ages in there) and cutting out some stuff I don't think is terribly important.

And then sometimes I think I'm making this huge old mess of it and why not just leave it as is. I have the original I bought as a PDF and then I'm just copying and cutting and pasting and I have about 5 copies I tweaked..... somebody save me from myself.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

I completely agree with this.

Did him get it for him's birfday?

Yes. From Aunt JJM.  :glare: Mary got a "Gravity Ann" which is just Mooies for Raggedy Ann which she still hasn't put down, and John got a.... Kanoodle?

DH just got a bonus so we have a little leeway right now. But even so, I should put that money to other more important things. It is very rare that I even get to buy something for myself so I am considering it.

Nice! I still can't fathom $50 in pens though. It hurts.

Edited by Slache

Argh! My likes are kind of come-and-go right now. 

I agree. Teach it before trying to correct it. But, I may be affected by the type of kid I have. Then again, I try to think of what if I had to do this in my second language? I'd want to know why it was corrected the way it was, not just get it right because it sounded better.

Well, I think they do tend to teach it before expecting kids to correct it. But, I want them to be pretty solid in knowing the right thing before exposing their brain to fixing the wrong way. I figure that makes the most sense given what we know about neuroscience (and I've taken a few neuroscience classes). 

Argh! My likes are kind of come-and-go right now. 

Well, I think they do tend to teach it before expecting kids to correct it. But, I want them to be pretty solid in knowing the right thing before exposing their brain to fixing the wrong way. I figure that makes the most sense given what we know about neuroscience (and I've taken a few neuroscience classes). 

:iagree:

Yes. From Aunt JJM.  :glare: Mary got a "Gravity Ann" which is just Mooies for Raggedy Ann which she still hasn't put down, and John got a.... Kanoodle?

NiceI I still can' fathom $50 in pens though. It hurts.

Aunt JJM came through!   :party:

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that my mechanical color pencils arrived. 

At swim&gym another mom recently mentioned that her kid is totally into pens. Kid got some $60-something pen for x-mas, and saved up for another pen about that much. They were like special pens, for calligraphy or something, but still. That's not $60 in pens, that's $60 for one pen. 

Actually, make some videos of yourself for your loved ones (you can still write letters also). Also, you should write a will now and just update it on a regular basis. 

About videos meant to be kept and viewed a long time from now:  Revisit them every 5 years or so to see if they need to be moved to a new media or format.  Technology changes over time, and long-term storage and retrieval methods change, too.

When I was working data management part of what we contended with was data stored on old media.  It does little good "archiving" material to disks that will last 50 years when the technology for reading those disks is no longer available and supported after 25 years.  This phenomenon has sped up over time, so it is worthwhile to look at how all of your treasured documents, pictures, videos, audio files, etc. are stored and make new back-ups on the latest media and in the latest formats.  Keep the old archives just in case, but update to maintain your ability to read/see/hear them again in the future.

• Like 1

Dancer doesn't believe that perimenopause is an adequate excuse for some of my moods. And forgetfulness.

Just wait.  Her turn is coming.  First she might like to try the pregnancy hormone joy ride.

• Like 1

Let me tell  you why I'm not participating in the educational posts.  Dd started out the year healthy and strong in mind and body.  And then her health started to go sideways.  And what started out being at least five productive hours of school ended up being one or two hours by the end.  I couldn't push her more because she didn't have more to give.  And so now we're in summer and she's in camp all day and we still aren't done with last year's stuff.  Also- I was doing a lot of juggling my Aspie's first year of college this year and so I wasn't as free as I thought I would be to give her all my attention.  Right now I'm doing a marathon grading / monitoring session (which will go on for days) just to see where we are and where we need to go just to finish up last year.  So I'm not in a place to think of next year.  I'm actually giving myself lots of bonus points for not just going back to bed and pulling the covers up over my head. 

Five gajillion bonus points for that.  "Tain't easy, that's fer shur!

• Like 3

I am eating my favorite summer lunch. And it happens to be perfectly low-carb and healthy, too!!

Peel one large vine-ripened tomato and cut into wedges.

Slice a bunch of avocado on top.

Add a little salt and some Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing

Top with a pile of Kirkland canned chicken mixed with a bit of mayo.

It is delicious!!

I'm hungry.  I want this now.  But our tomatoes are not ripe yet.  I do not know how to buy ripe avocado.  And I don't have any canned chicken.  

Who has the helicopter?

• Like 3

I've been working all morning tweaking History Odyssey- Middle Ages for DD for next year. Adding in more biographies (trying to merge Famous Men of the Middle Ages in there) and cutting out some stuff I don't think is terribly important.

And then sometimes I think I'm making this huge old mess of it and why not just leave it as is. I have the original I bought as a PDF and then I'm just copying and cutting and pasting and I have about 5 copies I tweaked..... somebody save me from myself.

This is what being a homeschool Mom is all about!   :lol:

• Like 1

1st grade:

CHC Little Stories for Little Folks readers

Draw Write Now handwriting

Ray's and/or Singapore

A couple of prayers and poems to memorize

Little Flowers virtues and saints

Ballet

Plus, she gets to live with us, so, you know, there'll be read alouds and prayers and Latin hymns and folk songs and baking and a weekly nature walk and Zumba and goofing around with watercolors.

:001_tt1:

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that my mechanical color pencils arrived. 

At swim&gym another mom recently mentioned that her kid is totally into pens. Kid got some $60-something pen for x-mas, and saved up for another pen about that much. They were like special pens, for calligraphy or something, but still. That's not $60 in pens, that's $60 for one pen. 

Let us know how you like them!

I haven't bought any, but I did tell my Mom about them when she asked for birthday gift ideas for dd.   ;)

• Like 1

4th grade:

Beast Academy

Draw and Write through Zhistory for cursive

seton English 4

W&R Fable and Narrative I How are you liking this?

Seton Religion 4

Artistic Pursuits

Ballet

How America Began plus lots of lit

Nature journalling

Getting Started with Latin Did you see the sequel is coming out? I'm not sure when.

Duolingo French Is this it? I found DL French too difficult. I need something to go with it.

Memory work

Little Flowers

And all the family stuff.

We had group practice and story time and I laminated some literary analysis bookmarks. And had more coffee. The SD-OFNKs are here. I'm going to get dinner together (baked sauerkraut and tomatoes with brats added later. Bratwurst.) It is starting to rain.

Hmm, I'm wondering about your choice of supper tonight....

• Like 1

Let us know how you like them!

I will, but I was going to get a notebook at B&N first. But, then I was thinking I could hit a library I haven't gotten stamped at yet if I'm driving that far (B&N is over 5 miles away), but it turns out that the closest one would still be almost 5 miles from there. So, I'm not sure what to do. I'll need to decide within about an hour, since I'll have to move the car at 6pm anyway. 

I'm hungry. I want this now. But our tomatoes are not ripe yet. I do not know how to buy ripe avocado. And I don't have any canned chicken.

Who has the helicopter?

Do not buy avocados ripe. Buy them green and let them ripen in the countertop. They are ripe when they're just a bit soft when you squeeze them. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

Oh, and Slache, I don't know if you've seen the CAP W&R threads on the K-8 writing workshop - if you click on mine (2016-2017), there are links to older ones as well. They're not reviews, but they can give you an idea of some of my and other people's thoughts as they go through the first book (and a little of the next book... I don't think anybody has really done a thread like that with any of the more advanced books).

• Like 1

I'm dying on the next page! :crying:

Renai: https://www.amazon.com/Easy-German-Step-Step/dp/0071840478/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1498769428&sr=8-6&keywords=easy+language+step+by+step

Yes, she went last year too and loved it. Next year she and dd9 will have back to back classes. It's only a few blocks from dh's office so I'm going to have him take the rest of the kids home after the 6yo is done and go grocery shopping while the 9yo is in class. That night of the week dinner is going to have to be sandwiches or burritos or something, but I just couldn't deal with a morning class time again.

Sounds wonderful! I've been thinking of getting my 4 year old a DVD, so I was hoping you were going to say "No. we use _______ and it's fabulous!"

Y'all have been ignoring at an astounding rate.

Haven't we talked about this? There's a rule, people!

"Oppose" is a key word here.

It's more amusing if you remember, as he lectures you on the virtues of thrift and self-reliance, that he is living rent-free on his BFF's land and his mommy is a mile away and does his laundry for him.

ETA: Booyah.

#noh

• Like 1

Y'all have been ignoring at an astounding rate.

Haven't we talked about this? There's a rule, people!

"Oppose" is a key word here.

It's more amusing if you remember, as he lectures you on the virtues of thrift and self-reliance, that he is living rent-free on his BFF's land and his mommy is a mile away and does his laundry for him.

ETA: Booyah.

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Outta likes again, and this one really deserves liking!

• Like 1