Menu

Ignore this thread!

So.  I was working at my paying job and someone suggested that there wasn't enough booty here and that my large one was required. :glare:

Well.  Something like that.

I would like to remind that someone that I DID post my educational plans.  My BRILLIANT plans.  Remember?  Outsource everything, bellow, snarf chocolate?

• Like 8

Having a bipolar spouse (who some people including one therapist have suggested might be Aspie too), an autistic kid, and GAD and depression issues myself, I can tell you you deserve lots of bonus points for that.

ETA: I know that's not the same, I'm just saying I get life can be tough.

(((luuknam)))

Remember that ITT is our happy place and we may give you opinions and suggestions, but there is no judginess going on. We report ourselves frequently enough to ward off any real bickering. :D

(((Jeannie))) We know how diligently you work and the wisdom you show in educating your kids they way that works best for them.

• Like 4

So.  I was working at my paying job and someone suggested that there wasn't enough booty here and that my large one was required. :glare:

I guess someone wants to sit through the workplace sexual harassment and hostile environment seminars/videos/however you do them again?

• Like 2

I guess someone wants to sit through the workplace sexual harassment and hostile environment seminars/videos/however you do them again?

:svengo: Oh, please don't remind me!  When I got re-hired by the company that I worked for for over 8 years but is now owned by mega-corp, I had to sit through all of those RIDICULOUSLY STUPID training videos. BARF.

• Like 2

My educational plan:  Outsource everything.  Bellow instructions occasionally.  Eat chocolate frequently.

It's brilliant, I know.  Feel free to copy me.

You left out "hire a maid" (and a cook, etc).

I would like to remind that someone that I DID post my educational plans.  My BRILLIANT plans.  Remember?  Outsource everything, bellow, snarf chocolate?

Yes, I know... like 12 of us liked it. 

• Like 5

Oh, and here's what I posted on the 10th grade planning thread:  (REPORT ME NOW!)

Posting in the planning thread always seems so definite-yikes.  No summer classes this year (she usually does 1 or 2), so just plans for the fall:

Intermediate Algebra (AoPS)

Latin IV (CLRC)

Russian II (private tutor)

Great Books II (Roman Roads Media, The Romans, with some HoAW/HoMW, Schola Tutorial discussion group)

Intro to Physical Science with lab (DE)

Comp 101 (DE)

The two dual enrollment classes bit terrifies me, but I seem to approach each year with fear and trepidation.  So far, it has always worked out, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 7

:svengo: Oh, please don't remind me!  When I got re-hired by the company that I worked for for over 8 years but is now owned by mega-corp, I had to sit through all of those RIDICULOUSLY STUPID training videos. BARF.

My point is that if you report their butt to HR, they might have to sit through them again as well. Revenge is sweet, and all that.

• Like 7

Have I mentioned to y'all about dd14's unmanageable handwriting and pencil hold? (If she didn't love to write and write constantly, I'd probably take her in for dysgraphia testing/therapy.) Well, the kids are required to do their summer writing in cursive, and her cursive is actually quite readable. Pencil grip is still horrible. She is getting pretty good at typing. :D

• Like 7

The two dual enrollment classes bit terrifies me, but I seem to approach each year with fear and trepidation.  So far, it has always worked out, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I think it'll be fine. Though I at first misread Comp 101 as Computer Science 101 (I assume you're talking about Composition 101), so maybe my opinion is not the most worthwhile at the moment. 

• Like 2

Oh, and here's what I posted on the 10th grade planning thread: (REPORT ME NOW!)

Posting in the planning thread always seems so definite-yikes. No summer classes this year (she usually does 1 or 2), so just plans for the fall:

Intermediate Algebra (AoPS)

Latin IV (CLRC)

Russian II (private tutor)

Great Books II (Roman Roads Media, The Romans, with some HoAW/HoMW, Schola Tutorial discussion group)

Intro to Physical Science with lab (DE)

Comp 101 (DE)

The two dual enrollment classes bit terrifies me, but I seem to approach each year with fear and trepidation. So far, it has always worked out, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

She can do dual enrollment in 10th grade? Wow - kids have to be in 11th grade here.

• Like 2

Well.  Something like that.

Your plans are brilliant.  Your coworkers are not. 

• Like 9

Have I mentioned to y'all about dd14's unmanageable handwriting and pencil hold? (If she didn't love to write and write constantly, I'd probably take her in for dysgraphia testing/therapy.) Well, the kids are required to do their summer writing in cursive, and her cursive is actually quite readable. Pencil grip is still horrible. She is getting pretty good at typing. :D

Well, that's the important part. It's unlikely she'll have to do a ton of handwriting as an adult, so as long as she *can* handwrite, typing is more important. 

Celery's OT gave up on his pencil grip a year or more ago. Both of mine hold their pencils wrong... I still have Broccoli use a pencil grip and do it correctly while he practices his cursive, but realistically, I think it's pointless... Like I mentioned earlier today, he started to write at 2yo, at which point it wasn't age appropriate to insist on correct grip. 

#downsidesofadvancedkids

• Like 2

(((luuknam)))

Remember that ITT is our happy place and we may give you opinions and suggestions, but there is no judginess going on. We report ourselves frequently enough to ward off any real bickering. :D

(((Jeannie))) We know how diligently you work and the wisdom you show in educating your kids they way that works best for them.

You are going to make me teary.  Thanks for having my back.. 

• Like 4

Oof!  Mine, too!  Only her handwriting is miserable. Thankfully, she types like the wind!

I am going to push my remaining kids to take at least dual enrollment speech and statistics (or pre-calc if they are so inclined.)

Reported!

Twinsies!  But she can't take speech until she's taken Comp 101 ( they also have Comp 102 and Technical Writing that we're eyeing.).  Stats I want to plan on for a spring semester, because spring tends to be the lighter calendar around here.  Honestly, with math, I'm just kinda holding my breath and waiting to see how long she can hang with AoPS.  Those classes are HARD.   (And I'm of no use to her whatsoever.  She's totally on her own.)

• Like 1

Oh, darn. Now I'll have to post my plans. Which I haven't amended yet since May or whenever. So, you task is to combine my January and my May plans and update them with my current ideas, and make it all work. We moved, so swim&gym will now be about 25 min away, which may or may not make it desirable:

2nd grade:

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:04 PM

Mostly not a clue yet, but...

History: SOTW with older brother. Probably part of book 2 and part of book 3, with a few library books on the side (but nowhere near as many as the gonna-be 5th grader).

Dutch: Continue with Rosetta Stone and Hotel Hallo.

Latin: Quite probably do the Big Book of Lively Latin along with older brother.

Math: probably Life of Fred and MEP.

Spelling: AAS.

PE: probably swim&gym.

--------------------------------

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

Geography: Scholastic Success with Maps Grade 4

Science: Mystery Science?

Writing: Writing Through Medieval History Level 1 - Cursive (or level 2 - I bought these last summer and just didn't do as much history as intended, but he's been practicing cursive for a couple of years now, so, we'll see - he's currently doing Cursive Writing Around the World in 26 Letters).

Art: Art for Kids Hub?

Music: Not a clue... the kid wants to play the double bass (ha ha, yeah, not at the 6.75yo he'll be at the start of 2nd grade), although he's thinks he also likes the saxophone, or maybe the guitar, or the cello, or something - I don't know where we'll be this fall though, so I don't know about lessons.

Grammar: No clue - he's been doing a little of Khan Academy grammar, but that's not ideal.

---------------------------------

5th grade (sorry for the red - in May I commented on January): 

Math: planning on trying AOPS Pre-Algebra, with LOF Pre-Algebra 1 & 2 on the side (currently almost finished LOF Fractions).

Writing: CAP W&R Narrative II and Chreia & Proverb? (currently still in Fable). Nope, just started Killgallon's Elementary Sentence Composing after we finished Fable. Will see how that goes - may do Paragraph Composing after that, and then maybe CAP W&R Narrative I? 

Spelling: AAS.

History: SOTW, probably part of book 2 and part of book 3, with library books on the side. Also need to think about the whole outlining thing.

Science: don't know. Mystery Science? And maybe Duke TIP's Medicine, Science, Epidemiology course, and/or maybe McHenry's The Brain?

Art: don't know. I'm thinking some sort of perspective drawing, since he's complaining drawing is for little kids. 

Music: probably continue guitar. Probably NOT continue guitar. A local music school has some class where kids try out different instruments that he's interested in, and I would've signed him up for this May/June, but we're moving - I'm sure they'll offer it again in the fall though, so maybe that and then see where that leads.

Dutch: continue with Rosetta Stone & Hotel Hallo.

Latin: Big Book of Lively Latin.

Reading: books, articles from Newsela, maybe Figuratively Speaking (not sure what subject to count that as).

Grammar: continue with Time for Kids Grammar Rules! and englishgrammar101.com.

PE: probably swim&gym.

Speech therapy.

Geography: maybe Zombie-Based Geography. Well, I bought it, so ZBG it is.

I also want to do some more life skills kind of things - more cooking, etc.

-----------------------------

And from the Accelerated Learner Boad (May), also 5th grade:

Archery? (4-H).

Identify and solve disease outbreaks (Duke TIP epidemiology.)

Know how to survive a zombie apocalypse and thrive afterwards (Zombie-Based Geography).

Learn basic accounting (The Accounting Game by Mullis & Orloff).

Put it all in perspective by learning perspective drawing.

:laugh:

Then in the summer between 5th and 6th grade he'll be old enough to take the Red Cross Babysitting/First Aid course, and then he'll be ready to be thrown to the wolves, yes?

Okay, not sure that we'll do all of that (we've also got pre-algebra, writing, and a bunch of other subjects to tackle). But it's fun to think about.

--------------------------------

Okay, Lana, have at it. 

I have to rearrange this in a way that makes sense to my brain.

2nd grade:

Social Studies- SOTW

Scholastic Success with Maps (looks good)

Math- MEP

LOF (looks good)

Science- Mystery Science (+ readers from the library + Crash Course Kids)

English- AAS

Writing through Medieval History

Khan Academy grammar (Did you find something to replace this? What are you looking for in a grammar program? Quick? Cheap? Thorough?)

PE- swim & gym (adjust for new travel time)

Foreign Language- Dutch: Rosetta Stone & Hotel Hallo

Latin: Big Book of Lively Latin (looks good)

Art- Art for Kids Hub (looks good)

Music- something musical (needs work)

5th grade

Math- AoPS PreAlgebra, LOF PreAlgebra, The Accounting Game by Mullis & Orloff (looks good)

​English- CAP W&R Narrative II/ Chreia & Proverb  â€‹Killgallon's Elementary Sentence Composing > Paragraph Composing > W&R Narrative I

AAS

reading books, Newsela

Figuratively Speaking

Grammar Rules!, englishgrammar101.com (I think this looks good. I'm not really familiar with any of these resources)

Speech Therapy

Social Studies- SOTW + library books

ZBG (looks good)

Science- Mystery science, Duke TIP, McHenry's the Brain (this seems ambitious. Is this ambitious?)

PE- swim & gym (adjust for travel time)

archery

art- perspective drawing

music- guitar > class @ music school

Foreign Language- Dutch: Rosetta Stone & Hotel Hallo

Latin: Big Book of Lively Latin (looks good)

Does that look about right?

• Like 4

You know what I just realized? Dd holds her pencil similar to a violin bow. Except she'd be writing with the tightening screw.

That sounds awkward. Mine just have quadrupod or immature tripod grips that aren't quite right, iirc. Basically, they're normal grips, just not age appropriate. Of course, they're not here to check. 

Khan Academy grammar (Did you find something to replace this? What are you looking for in a grammar program? Quick? Cheap? Thorough?)

Science- Mystery science, Duke TIP, McHenry's the Brain (this seems ambitious. Is this ambitious?)

Does that look about right?

Thanks for the rearrange!

It looks about right, I guess. Yes, I need to decide what's actually going to happen with science. Most of the mystery science stuff is for younger grades though, and it would be together with little brother, and they like it, so it's not that crazy to want to add some other stuff for older kids to that. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with The Brain... I got Elements through BYB, so maybe I'll do that. 

Wrt grammar, I'm not entirely sure what I want. There's a decent chance I might be asking for MCT, but cheaper (I know, right?). Basically, in September I'll have a 6.75yo who scored a GE of 4.3 in Language Mechanics on his end-of-2nd-grade test in May (it's one of the sections they didn't give a percentile ranking on), GE of 4.8 in Language (91st percentile for end-of-2nd-graders). So, a gifted kid who would be entering 1st grade in most states/countries this fall, but who needs roughly 3rd grade curriculum in most subjects, and who hasn't really had grammar yet. I don't really like grammar all that much, and I don't want to do diagramming (it's not something that people outside of the US do - I did a little bit of a diagramming workbook about a year ago out of curiosity, but it's not something I'm going to force on my kids). 

• Like 1

Oh, and I absolutely hate grammar programs that show you wrong stuff and ask you to fix it. No fixing errors. I don't want the brain to get used to seeing wrong things before they know the right way. 

And by grammar I don't just mean grammar. I mean all things related to language mechanics. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Thanks for the rearrange!

It looks about right, I guess. Yes, I need to decide what's actually going to happen with science. Most of the mystery science stuff is for younger grades though, and it would be together with little brother, and they like it, so it's not that crazy to want to add some other stuff for older kids to that. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with The Brain... I got Elements through BYB, so maybe I'll do that. 

Wrt grammar, I'm not entirely sure what I want. There's a decent chance I might be asking for MCT, but cheaper (I know, right?). Basically, in September I'll have a 6.75yo who scored a GE of 4.3 in Language Mechanics on his end-of-2nd-grade test in May (it's one of the sections they didn't give a percentile ranking on), GE of 4.8 in Language (91st percentile for end-of-2nd-graders). So, a gifted kid who would be entering 1st grade in most states/countries this fall, but who needs roughly 3rd grade curriculum in most subjects, and who hasn't really had grammar yet. I don't really like grammar all that much, and I don't want to do diagramming (it's not something that people outside of the US do - I did a little bit of a diagramming workbook about a year ago out of curiosity, but it's not something I'm going to force on my kids). 

Do you feel like he needs explicit grammar instruction? Maybe you can pull sentences from your literature selections to discuss parts of speech, how they work together, etc. 

Do you feel like he needs explicit grammar instruction? Maybe you can pull sentences from your literature selections to discuss parts of speech, how they work together, etc. 

I feel like 3rd grade (his unofficial grade in my head - officially he'll be in 2nd grade, since NY has a very late cut-off) is a good time to formally explain some of the rules. I'm not sure how much I'd actually explain if I didn't do *something* with him... English is not my first language, and when I learned foreign languages I mostly had an attitude of "just read a lot and it'll be fine". I did get some of English grammar explained to me in secondary school (like, I know I did the punctuation wrong on that previous sentence... that that period needs to be inside the quotation marks), but anyway... I feel like it'd be good to do some formal little intro. It doesn't have to be an hour a day or anything. For Celery I used for 3rd grade:

https://www.teachercreated.com/products/parts-of-speech-grades-3-4-3339

But I didn't like it all that much, and I think there's got to be something better out there.

Edited by luuknam

I was just gone for a little while and I got behind almost 2 pages!  Y'all need to go outside and play or something!

I'm trying to read Walden; it's painful. I think Thoreau sounds like my teen when he wants to be deep but just gets on my nerves. I want to like it and get it though, so I am persisting. Maybe it gets better. Tell me he gets better. 

I haven't read it, but I imagine my reaction would be the same.  

Seat Work

Bible: Explorer's Bible study in the morning, adding in BSGFAA cards as we finish a "book"

English: Handwriting (M), RLTL (T,Th), and English For The Thoughtful Child (W,F)

Math: Ray's (M), School Arithmetic (T-F)

Spanish, Greek, signing and singing activities as I see fit

Book Basket

Science: Apologia Astronomy, One Small Square, Read & Find Out

History: SOTW I and corresponding readings as desired, Heroes For Young Readers

Literature: AO, Suppose The Wolf Were An Octopus

Readers: CLP Nature Reader, My Book House, Treadwell

Spanish: Poemas, De Calores, mas TBD

Activities (one a day)

Artistic Pursuits, SOTW AG, Heroes AG, Jot It Down

Evenings

Devotionals, puzzles, games, free range art

Beauteous.  Perfection.

Now! Must have more coffeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Both were perfect and we all skulked away in jealousy.

I was about to call the national guard.

Awwww, shucks.  Thanks!  

I tried Drawing With Children. It turned into Crying With Children because nobody in my family can draw worth a hoot. I really like Artistic Pursuits because it is more relaxed and the kids loved working with all sorts of different media.

:laugh:

Let me tell  you why I'm not participating in the educational posts.  Dd started out the year healthy and strong in mind and body.  And then her health started to go sideways.  And what started out being at least five productive hours of school ended up being one or two hours by the end.  I couldn't push her more because she didn't have more to give.  And so now we're in summer and she's in camp all day and we still aren't done with last year's stuff.  Also- I was doing a lot of juggling my Aspie's first year of college this year and so I wasn't as free as I thought I would be to give her all my attention.  Right now I'm doing a marathon grading / monitoring session (which will go on for days) just to see where we are and where we need to go just to finish up last year.  So I'm not in a place to think of next year.  I'm actually giving myself lots of bonus points for not just going back to bed and pulling the covers up over my head. 

You are awesome!  You are giving your dd what she needs, letting her do what she loves, still making progress.   :hurray:  :hurray:

I think your daughter is fabulous and if she winds up not reading a particular book or not mastering a certain aspect of grammar she will still be fabulous.

:iagree:

(((luuknam)))

:iagree:

• Like 5

I was just gone for a little while and I got behind almost 2 pages!  Y'all need to go outside and play or something!

I know. I was going to go to the library, but it's closed. (okay, there are like 20 or so branches open that I haven't gotten stamped at yet, but they're further, and I don't know I want to just drive that far just for library passport, and at this point in time, maybe I shouldn't actually drive anywhere - I'm not sure if I'm below the legal limit or not).

• Like 1

Speaking of taking kids to the pool, Gymnast got a coupon for a free swim at the community center as the week 4 prize of the library summer reading program. I have to figure out when to take her. Probably next week.

I was informed today that one BIL & family will be down at ILs house visiting this weekend, and some of the kids will be staying the week.  Grandma (MIL) replaced her sedan with an SUV that looks like it seats 8, and wants to take all available grandkids to the beach sometime next week.  My two are referring to this as Camp Grandma.

• Like 5

Btw, I did just remember that Writing Through Medieval History has some schedule in the back for discussing some parts of speech and stuff. So maybe I'll just do that for Broccoli. I really don't need a ton for him... just more than nothing, and Khan Academy grammar seems to be written for older people.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1