Menu

Ignore this thread!

DD13 is getting her pre-Aikido snack.  A mixture of this Girl Scouts Thin Mints cereal I found in the store and Cheese-its.  Seriously, she mixed them together in a bowl and is eating it all like Chex Mix.

The cereal is a lot like minty Cocoa Puffs.

• Like 1

Yes, she went last year too and loved it. Next year she and dd9 will have back to back classes. It's only a few blocks from dh's office so I'm going to have him take the rest of the kids home after the 6yo is done and go grocery shopping while the 9yo is in class. That night of the week dinner is going to have to be sandwiches or burritos or something, but I just couldn't deal with a morning class time again.

Sounds like a good plan, including the dinner plan.

It's more amusing if you remember, as he lectures you on the virtues of thrift and self-reliance, that he is living rent-free on his BFF's land and his mommy is a mile away and does his laundry for him.

ETA: Booyah.

Even more like my teenage DS. 

• Like 2

Iirc, summer camp last year had some interesting twists and turns, but everything went very well?

Every year camp has some interesting twists and turns.  Those of us on staff call it "Camp Plan B".  Last year though I had a hard time because some things that should have been getting better just weren't.  So much so that if I wasn't the teacher for at least half of the campers I would have seriously rethought being on staff this year.  But I think that God wants me there.  And I'm not going to do a Jonah.  Plus, I have been told that the main problem has been taken care of finally.  (I won't totally believe it until I see it but look back 3 sentences.) 

• Like 1

There are children buzzing around here making me want to cuss. Everyone has been given a five-minute warning - if they're still here after that, they may be turned into bratwurst. :ack2: And then my kids are going to clean up their mess and I'm going to take a nap.

Argh!

For that age, at least at my studio, it's mostly a music and movement type fun class. They do some Pilates type strengthening and stretching, a lot of games and pretend that get them used to moving their bodies in rhythm and not a ton of actual classical ballet(maybe a third of the class?). There's probably people here who know better, but I would guess that a ballet DVD might inadvertently build bad habits. I even took ballet as a kid and I inadvertently gave them some bad habits just playing around. If you just want to do something fun at home I might just buy her a super sparkly tutu and put on Fantasia and pretend to be the different creatures with her.

We already do that. She has a pink one and a purple one. :D

You're not dying so young.

I don't need Gymnast to read German yet, or do grammar. She's learning to read in her two home languages still. I'm just needing something that she'll probably listen to and/or sing. Way back when Dancer was young, we played Teach Me Japanese and she learned through songs and dialogues. I may get that in German. I think I also have some old German learning cassette tapes around here...But, they are for adults. As is the textbook I have...

Oh! I forgot I have some German units of Pimsleur on Audible. That'll work for conversation.

1st grade:

CHC Little Stories for Little Folks readers

Draw Write Now handwriting

Ray's and/or Singapore

A couple of prayers and poems to memorize

Little Flowers virtues and saints

Ballet

Plus, she gets to live with us, so, you know, there'll be read alouds and prayers and Latin hymns and folk songs and baking and a weekly nature walk and Zumba and goofing around with watercolors.

Oooh, do you Zumba? We zumba! Vamos a zumbear!

I don't have my kids memorize stuff. Well, maybe the books of the Bible. Am I a bad homeschool mom? I did get a free trial of that Cross Even Claritas memory program. I forgot I had it. We were listening to Week 1 math today and Gymnast kept wanting me to play it over and over and over... (skip counting 1's(?), 2's and 3's).

• Like 1

There are children buzzing around here making me want to cuss. Everyone has been given a five-minute warning - if they're still here after that, they may be turned into bratwurst. :ack2: And then my kids are going to clean up their mess and I'm going to take a nap.

Yup, REALLY wondering about supper at your house tonight....   :laugh:

• Like 2

I've been working all morning tweaking History Odyssey- Middle Ages for DD for next year. Adding in more biographies (trying to merge Famous Men of the Middle Ages in there) and cutting out some stuff I don't think is terribly important.

And then sometimes I think I'm making this huge old mess of it and why not just leave it as is. I have the original I bought as a PDF and then I'm just copying and cutting and pasting and I have about 5 copies I tweaked..... somebody save me from myself.

I would hate to cut into your fun by saving you, so...

What color is yours? ;)

Ummm... we could argue that I wear a peach one...

You're not dying so young.

I don't need Gymnast to read German yet, or do grammar. She's learning to read in her two home languages still. I'm just needing something that she'll probably listen to and/or sing. Way back when Dancer was young, we played Teach Me Japanese and she learned through songs and dialogues. I may get that in German. I think I also have some old German learning cassette tapes around here...But, they are for adults. As is the textbook I have...

Oh! I forgot I have some German units of Pimsleur on Audible. That'll work for conversation.

I didn't know if *you* needed something. It's been a while for you.

• Like 1

And Slash thought I was bad for only eating my own children.  :glare:

• Like 3

Ummm... we could argue that I wear a peach one...

I didn't know if *you* needed something. It's been a while for you.

Yeah, I have a college textbook. I've never actually studied German, now that I think about it. I picked it up and spoke it while living in Germany as a teen. Many eons ago.

• Like 1

Good Evening!

Y'all don't want to see my school plans. I want to do all the things.

We are still debating about building on or mom going home, but a decision should be made in the next day or so.

I am calming my anxiety by ITTing and contemplating the purchase of a plum planner.

Dd17 took the littles to the library program. She sent me a picture of a baby timber wolf. They should be home soon.

I need a schedule. Mostly for cleaning and chores for children. I think I need to do a serious declutter then get on a cleaning schedule. I need a planner for that, right?

• Like 4

And I'm trying to keep up with the Japanese. Dancer has started to pass me conversation-wise, although I still know a bit more grammar than she does. I can't study two separate languages and still teach in two other languages. Well, I probably could if I really tried. But, I might be a tad lazy. And besides, I really want to learn some Korean so I can talk to the owners at that one restaurant we like to frequent periodically.

• Like 1

I need a schedule. Mostly for cleaning and chores for children. I think I need to do a serious declutter then get on a cleaning schedule. I need a planner for that, right?

Absolutely. In fact, I'm working on trying to figure out what kind of planner I need for this very thing.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, you are basing these predictions on family history. But if I also read correctly, you have significantly healthier habits than those family members.

But either way you have to obey the ITT no death clause.

:iagree:

• Like 1

Good Evening!

Y'all don't want to see my school plans. I want to do all the things.

We are still debating about building on or mom going home, but a decision should be made in the next day or so.

I am calming my anxiety by ITTing and contemplating the purchase of a plum planner.

Dd17 took the littles to the library program. She sent me a picture of a baby timber wolf. They should be home soon.

Absolutely. In fact, I'm working on trying to figure out what kind of planner I need for this very thing.

I'm still impatiently waiting for mine to arrive. It's taking forever.
  • Like 1

Yes, there's a group called Refit Revolution on youtube that I really like. They're Christian so I don't need to worry about some of the more risque moves or lyrics. Ds loves "Chocolate" so that's what he calls Zumba. :)

The memorization started on a whim to give my kids more schoolwork bc they were whiny about being bored, and they ended up really enjoying it, esp the poetry. 🤷â€â™€ï¸

I'm thinking Gymnast might like memorization based on things she's playing, so I might give it a try. The most I've ever done were scriptures, and it wasn't consistent. It's always been something I wanted to do though...

I'm actually going to go Zumba at the gym tonight. I thought I would be really excited about this but...there are mirrors. I do not like them, fat I am beautiful and that distracts meFTFY

The dance studio where Dancer used to go, and Gymnast started (but turned out not to like it much), has zumba classes for 8 weeks fall and spring at a reasonable price. I really need to find another place so I can go more often. I really enjoy it. I have some dvds too. Gymnast does them with me.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

I took the boys to Cafe Cool-down at Church. They open up the Student Center for a couple hours on Thursday afternoons and jr. High and high schoolers can come and hang out and play games, etc. The boys enjoy it and it gives them something to do.

Then I'm taking DS2 to MY hairstylist. He's been sporting the baseball player mop hair-do and while it suits him, his barber just doesn't know what to do with it. So, it's been looking pretty nasty lately. So, we'll see what my gal can do with it. He has the perfect hair for that style - thick with big, beautiful curls.

• Like 4

Good Evening!

:wub:

Yes, definitely! And pretty colored pencils or pens or a special writing implement of some kind.

• Like 1

Booyah!

"To H, or not to H. That is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

That sometimes silent consonant

Or to take arms against the sea of troubles

And by opposing end it . To H - we please some on ITT

And to H - we end the heartache and the thousand arguments

That Booya/h is heir to. 'Tis a consummation

Devoutly to be wished."

Kristen's Soliloquy

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 9

:willy_nilly: I'm almost dead! I have so much to say!

Spuds! I'm afraid someone who likes Singapore will dislike Ray's. No dis on Ray's, it's fabulous, but very different than Singapore. Look at it online first.

Lana, you're fabulous! Use BFSU.

I love you all!

• Like 3

So, I'm thinking about our around the world study. I'm thinking one continent a month. I should start with which continent I will do first and work from there which countries to do. I do like to hit Mexico in October because of dh's birthday, though. And do a Christmas around the world unit in December.

• Like 5

So, I'm thinking about our around the world study. I'm thinking one continent a month. I should start with which continent I will do first and work from there which countries to do. I do like to hit Mexico in October because of dh's birthday, though. And do a Christmas around the world unit in December.

Will you group Antarctica and Oceania together? Because Antarctica is boring.

• Like 1

What am I doing on ITT?? I put down my book momentarily to look up what a "Kalashnikov" is (a rifle) and all the sudden I end up here. You people are a bad influence.

It takes one to know one.    :biggrinjester:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5

Antarctica is boring? Boring?? What about Dissecting Penguins? They live in Antarctica.

I know, right? I was totally thinking of the penguins. But...not dissecting them. I just remembered I have a book in Spanish on Antarctica...

• Like 1

My plans for next year if people cooperate:

Send everyone to school- highly dependent on middle school cooperation IRT placement for middle DDs. If they won't cooperate with me we'll probably do the next thing with what we've done this year. I have it down and finally feel no need to look at shiny new curricula. 

Math: Dolciani Algebra

Writing: WWS

Reading: Whatever I feel like picking and discussing 

Spanish: Destinos and Homeschool Spanish Academy

History: Yale Course on Civil War; maybe SOTW vol 3

Philosophy: Crash Course and readings

Science and Electives: at PS. I hate teaching science.

After school math for youngest DD. We'll do CLE so it's easy peasy and she doesn't cry. Elementary school math is butt. 

Snuggle baby and eat bonbons.

• Like 4