• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Which is best when ordered online!

I had to talk to one person. It wasn't so bad. I hope none of the other people call back today. 

Dh prefers to order online.  I'm always afraid that I'll mess it up.  So I call.

It helps that I'm a people person.

Now scheduling doctor's appointments is a completely different ballgame... 

I had to schedule an appointment the other day.  I waited 15 minutes to be told that the next available appointment is in May.  Sigh.

• Like 3

I'll have a 5th grader next year too.  My baby!   :svengo:  :w00t:  :(   But I have more undecided than decided right now.  

POints for quoting self.

Ed Po.

Warning

Reported.

I think Cover Story (from the OYAN folks) would be interesting to try, but 6th grade / 11yo is supposed to be the youngest recommended age.  I know that doesn't mean we can't do it in 5th, but I don't want to try it too young, kwim?  I'll probably wait.  But then what will we do for writing next year?  Probably a hodge-podge of reports, copywork, dictation, and avoidance.   :laugh:

• Like 1

I think I need to block my in-laws on FaceTime. They told the kids they were going to send them plane tickets, without consulting us, and the kids are nag, nag, nagging about going, and then this morning just as I was going to get them to do something edumacational with them, I heard them start chatting with them, so I didn't want the kids to get mad at me for taking it away just after starting, so then I let them be, but now my schedule is completely off, and I'm grumpy, and everything. Oh, and they told the kids that the kids hadn't been able to visit them for a year because of FIL's health, which is BS, they haven't visited them in over a year because we won't let them because they keep ignoring boundaries, and won't talk to DW, etc.

• Like 1

POints for quoting self.

Ed Po.

Warning

Reported.

I think Cover Story (from the OYAN folks) would be interesting to try, but 6th grade / 11yo is supposed to be the youngest recommended age. I know that doesn't mean we can't do it in 5th, but I don't want to try it too young, kwim? I'll probably wait. But then what will we do for writing next year? Probably a hodge-podge of reports, copywork, dictation, and avoidance. :laugh:

I think this looks *so* cool but when you buy it you get a year on the forums so I wouldn't want to buy it and like but then decide to wait a year. So, I think holding off on the purchase is a good idea.

Sing a song of morning,

The chickens have been fed,

The boys have had their breakfast,

The cats are still in bed,

The dogs have been for walkies,

And now I’ve got my tea,

Time to sit and write a bit,

And then I’ll have to... :blushing:

Random Musings

For the archives, Renai.... This one's a keeper!

• Like 3

I was actually going to ask last night when I still saw it on your list last night. I thought you were working on that the other day?

LOL - yes... I ended up doing it all on Sunday afternoon (mostly while the kids were out).  I forgot to tell you I finished!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

I didn’t lose 50 pounds in one week. I thought you would want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's always next week!

EdPo

Trigger Warning!!,

Reported!!

Stat!!

We have butterfly larvae in a cup!! Woohoo!! I love this time of year.

Awesome! ðŸ‘

Dd11 is starting a worm farm! Because worms! And gardens!

• Like 5

We are having beef and bean tacos for dinner. I am hungry at the moment because I'm fasting today (until dinner) but I just realized I haven't once wanted to take a nap today. Hmmmmm.

I spent some time organizing the pantry. I'm going to go shred a bunch of cabbage and get a couple more batches of sauerkraut going.

• Like 2

We are having beef and bean tacos for dinner. I am hungry at the moment because I'm fasting today (until dinner) but I just realized I haven't once wanted to take a nap today. Hmmmmm.

I spent some time organizing the pantry. I'm going to go shred a bunch of cabbage and get a couple more batches of sauerkraut going.

Why are you fasting? iNosy.

I think this looks *so* cool but when you buy it you get a year on the forums so I wouldn't want to buy it and like but then decide to wait a year. So, I think holding off on the purchase is a good idea.

For my OYAN kids I don't think forum access ends, but I could be wrong. If you do streaming for the videos you get 1 year access, but I prefer dvds because I know how flakey I am.

(Edpo. Etc)

It's an "I only half way know what's going on" booyah!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 2

We did speech, paid library fines, park day, lunch, groceries. I finally admitted to myself that I will not consistently work out without the accountability of a class, and joined the YMCA. I wanted to avoid shelling out the money, but since I've worked out exactly once this month, I figured it was time. I also got the info for spring soccer. They started offering a karate class as well, which is both cheaper and closer than our former karate class.

I have hit my step goal for 8 days straight, and therefore raised it by 500 steps. Hooray consistency!

I've also been doing better on my daily routines. I have not done them all every day, but each item is getting done about 3-4 times a week. So yay progress!

I'm tired. I want to nap.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 9

I found another good book. “The Devil in the White Cityâ€by Erik Larson. He’s a favorite author of mine. He writes non-fiction, but as narratives. He’s a great writer. This book is about the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago and the serial killer.

• Like 1

I'm on 23 hours and 47 minutes! My longest yet. :coolgleamA:

Good job!

I have found it easier with my schedule to fast for a couple of long periods rather than daily fasting. Sunday dinner to Tuesday (very low carb) breakfast, and then again until Wednesday breakfast. I might fast an additional lunch here and there. Now that our schedule is back to nomal I am getting more consistant with it.

• Like 1

I found another good book. “The Devil in the White Cityâ€by Erik Larson. He’s a favorite author of mine. He writes non-fiction, but as narratives. He’s a great writer. This book is about the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago and the serial killer.

Thanks! I now have it on hold. :)

• Like 1

Good job!

I have found it easier with my schedule to fast for a couple of long periods rather than daily fasting. Sunday dinner to Tuesday (very low carb) breakfast, and then again until Wednesday breakfast. I might fast an additional lunch here and there. Now that our schedule is back to nomal I am getting more consistant with it.

With me having such a hard time with breakfast foods and not being able to afford to always eat well the daily 16 hours was a Godsend. I have breakfast about once a week, otherwise I have a salad at 1 and dinner. So easy.

• Like 1

Edpo:

I asked Celery what part of history he's interested in, and his first answer was no particular time period, but then his second answer was war, WWI, WWII. Contemplating what I can do with that. History of warfare should be doable, but the war part of WWI & WWII gets pretty intense pretty quickly. And somehow I don't think he's asking for something like American Girl's Molly books.

• Like 2

Edpo:

I asked Celery what part of history he's interested in, and his first answer was no particular time period, but then his second answer was war, WWI, WWII. Contemplating what I can do with that. History of warfare should be doable, but the war part of WWI & WWII gets pretty intense pretty quickly. And somehow I don't think he's asking for something like American Girl's Molly books.

Maybe take him to another culture for war: Greeks, Romans, Chinese, Japanese, English, French, or anywhere outside the Americas. I think the farther removed you are in time and space the easier it is for kids to process.

• Like 4

Maybe take him to another culture for war: Greeks, Romans, Chinese, Japanese, English, French, or anywhere outside the Americas. I think the farther removed you are in time and space the easier it is for kids to process.

Yes, and I guess WWII had plenty of stuff going on in Asia... I'm just not sure to what degree he wants it to be WWI & WWII, nor whether he'd be annoyed if I gave it an Asian spin, but, as you know, NL was occupied in WWII, so, anything European feels pretty close-to-home (at least to me). It even crossed my mind that I could drag him to some WWI/WWII sites while we'll be in Europe this summer... e.g., Dachau wouldn't really be a detour when driving home from Austria, BUT, even the Dachau Memorial's website itself says that they have nothing for kids, and that they don't recommend it for kids under 12, and that most of it is really 14+. 

Of course, there are milder options - e.g. my parents don't live all that far from a Bridge Too Far, where there is a small WWII museum. Pretty boring from the one time I went there though. 

Of course, there are milder options - e.g. my parents don't live all that far from a Bridge Too Far, where there is a small WWII museum. Pretty boring from the one time I went there though. 

They have done a good job of making it seem less boring on their website. Well, on the Dutch version. The English version of their website is pretty bare bones, so, I'm guessing all the audioguides, treasure hunts, etc mentioned on the Dutch website are only available in Dutch.