Menu

What worked well this year, and/or what are you changing for next year?

Win:

MM

AAS

StartWrite software

Mensa reading list

SOTW audiobooks in car

Read-aloud at lunch

Story Time at the library

Lose:

planning my own science

any attempt for mom to be anywhere but at the elbow

Draw:

we love morning time, but I am struggling to fit it into our day.  We are doing Bible, poetry, hymns, art appreciation on a very sporadic basis.

• Like 1

What worked well...finally able to combine the 2 oldest!!!

Teaching Textbooks

Apologia elementary series (using in MFW)

AAS

Switching...

Couldn't continue to combine with HOD so we are moving over to MFW which makes me happy because I can finally use the audio of SOTW :)

Fails...

DITHOR. I've tried this a couple times and just can't stick with it.

• Like 2

Wins

Singapore math- just when I'm unsure if she's truly getting it, she'll amaze me at the next lesson doing something mentally before I've even taught it. I'm taking it really slowly, spending lots of time on math facts and the "big" jumps. I'm going to spend the summer figuring out in advance extra fun things to do to supplement topics, so I'm not searching so much in the moment.

Reading Lessons Through Literature- I feel like I talk about this all the time but it was just such a godsend after the complete fail that was AAR. She could blend words but that was it. She desperately wanted to read REAL stories, but no clue how when AAR wasn't giving her more phonograms. This simple little book brought confidence, real stories, in a totally stress free way. It allowed us to keep adding tools to her box, while her mind was maturing to put all the pieces together. She is taking off now at 7.5 asking to read everything in the house.

Elemental science- this was almost a fail as in we moved and I canned it. The layout is irritating (why not have the lab page I need right there in the teacher guide rather than in a totally different book, etc) so I found myself flipping back and forth too much. But we started the human body section and she is begging for more science now. All the activities have been great. So we'll give earth science a try next year too as I hear it's even better.

SOTW- because it's awesome.

FLL & WWE- we love the poems and dd likes memorizing the parts of speech even with the constant repetition (we're finally past nouns hallellujah lol). WWE has introduced us to classics to read on the side at our leisure and she is doing great with narration.

Fails

Toddlers. Toddlers everywhere!! I must must must plan things for them. I need to hit Pinterest hard and have a box of go to things so I can have some peace. I think we'll spend all morning on them in the coming months, and then do content subjects during nap time despite math being a little better for DD in the morning.

ELTL 1- I just highly dislike Aesops fables (can I say that?!) and so much of the program is wrapped around these weird stories with animals that die and just..no. Idk, neither I nor DD like them, though there are a few that have been ok. Plus it's so gentle, it almost seems pointless. Capital letters and punctuation..that's pretty much it for so long. It was also impossible to stay on track with the outside reading with all we had going on. I am open to looking at level 2 just so I can have grammar and writing in one program, and as I'm loving the looks of Wayfarer, but I'm very happy with FLL & WWE right now. I think it will help immensely when DD can read te literature on her own.

• Like 3

Wins:

*RightStart B. I had a love/hate relationship with level A, but B has been great!

*Science Mix - BFSU, Snap Circuits, science museum, Lego Education, library books, The Private Eye. Always changing it up has kept things interesting.

*MCT Grammar Island. We tried to keep things relaxed with Mad Libs, but DD was frustrated that she would forget which part of speech was which. Started MCT to see if she liked it and she absolutely loved it and took to it like a duck to water.

*Prehistory based on books and documentaries

*Generally loose structure to our days

Mixed:

*Spanish: stuck at that point where she is beyond basics but not ready for formal advanced study. She liked Song School, but learned nearly nothing new, and I am at a loss where to go from here.

Misses:

*Handwriting. Still at the beginning with letter formation and continually struggling. Just started trying with cursive instead of manuscript to see if it is better.

*Risas y Sonrisas. This is the most unusable curric I've ever laid hands on.

• Like 1

Worked:

Weekly Tea Time looping Poetry, Shakespeare, and Music.

Morning Time while we ate breakfast was wonderful and we will continue that as well.

9 year old:

Writing and Rhetoric, Treasured Conversations, Brave Writer Partnership Writing, and MCT Grammar Island

Using more living math books and games.  Khan Academy, Stayer Upton, and Beast Academy

7 year olds:

I See Sam, RLTL, and ELTL

MEP

Calling Grandparents weekly to read to them.

Changes for Next Year:

Using Wayfarers Ancients

My 9year old and myself will start a Book of Centuries

Using quality art pads for nature/science notebooks

Edited to add a couple more things that have worked for us this year.  

• Like 4

Morning Time did not work for us. There is something with my eldest and she is awful in the morning. Between her morning insanity and the two littles (3 and 1) playing at full volume MT was torture and just angry. So we moved it to after lunch while the littles nap. MUCH better!

CW's primer series was waaay too much for my 6 year old. So I switched to ELTL1 after we completed Autumn and that has been great.

Math Mammoth was not the best choice for my 6 year old so we'll go back to RS next year.

Popcorn reading with grandma, ssl2, and ambleside's poetry are great hits with my eldest (8).

Librivox recordings of This Country Of Ours and SOTW activity book saved history.

Poetry tea time, weekly field trips, and library science all worked well this year.

Teaching a friend's daughter was an incredible growth experience and will not be repeated next year.

• Like 2

I am pleased to say that for the first time ever, we had more hits than misses.  I think that I'm finally starting to get the hang of this thing :hurray:

DS8:

Hits:

TT4

MUS Gamma

Spelling U See

AAR 4

EIW level 3

Misses:

RS D - he liked the earlier levels but we hit a wall in D right around the time that check numbers came up.  The last thing that my dyslexic son needed was more numbers, so we switched to MUS and were much happier

AAS - we'd been doing it pretty hardcore, so we took a step back and switched to SUS and will go back once we're done

We need a grammar program.  I didn't like the look of FLL3 so I dropped it for workbooks, but he needs something else because his retention is awful.  MCT, maybe?  I really don't even know.

DS5:

Hits:

Teach Your Monster to Read - How did I not know about this sooner?  It's awesome and my little guy actually asks to do it.

Reading Eggs and Math Seeds

AAR1

MUS Primer - He loves this.  Loves, loves, loves, loves it.

Life of Fred Early Readers

FLL1 - He loves the poems and the art studies and stories, not so sure about the whole grammar thing

Misses:

HWOT - Don't know why I tried it again because older DS detested it too, but hope springs eternal.

RS A - My older son liked the program, but the little had to be difficult.

Both:

Hits:

Life of Fred

Meet the Masters

Story of the Orchestra

Getting to Know the Great Composers

Sassafras Zoology - I can't stand reading it, but they love it so we're onto anatomy next year.

Legends and Leagues North

SOTW2

Unit studies that we decide on at the last minute and following rabbit trail so that nothing else gets done.  We spent a whole month on opera a couple months back and I still have no idea how we even got there. :lol:

Misses:

None. Nope, that's right, none.

• Like 1

What worked:

-SOTW, once I found a groove with it

-Math Mammoth

-Easy Grammar

-fun, outside the box spelling practice using Spelling for Success lists

-combining copywork and handwriting practice using Start Write

-Friday fun math. No curriculum, just games, projects, all child-led.

-subject baskets for further independent learning. Interest-led, again.

-nature study. We did pretty good for our first year but I have plans to improve this coming school year.

-piano lessons

What we will change:

-we tried and failed miserably at WWE. Switched to EIW but skipped the grammar, since we were doing EG. Not sure how well I like EIW. Part of me wants to stick with EG and EIW, since I know what I'm working with, another part of me wants to try something else. I have it in my planner to look at Scott Foresman Grammar and Writing and KISS Grammar. Maybe KISS Grammar and Brave Writer for a year?

-Mr. Q Life Science. It was OK. I'm not a science person, so I'll probably always have a hard time with this. No clue what to do for earth and space this year. I think dd could really love it if I can get my act together and pull together something fun.

-HWOT. We've already changed this to Start Write. This was a good change. So glad I went for it.

• Like 2

What is working for us: 

CLE math- I'm loving this, and my son (14) doesn't seem to mind.  It's easy to teach and grade,  which is a big plus for me. 

Math Mammoth--I think we will continue with this.  My son (11)  doesn't like it but he doesn't like any math.  I showed him CLE and he didn't think he would like that either.  It's a little more difficult for me to grade because it doesn't line up as nicely as CLE.  We will continue with it though at this point.

Rod and Staff--I like that it is teaching not only grammar but techniques for creating good paragraphs such as sentence variety, avoiding choppy sentences, etc.   It is giving them the foundation for things like WWS. 

Scholastic Paragraph Writing Made Easy--This is just a little workbook that teaches outlining and paragraph writing.  It's fairly simple but I think it has been beneficial to my kids. 

Ellen McHenry The Elements--We are getting through it, albeit slowly, but I'm also glad we are doing it because we (all of us!) are learning so much.  I was never into science so this is all new to me.  I can't say we love it but we are getting something out of it.  Next year we'll do Rainbow. 

• Like 1

For the first time this year I bought a pre-packaged program, a new offering from Tree of Life books and school for grade 4.  Some parts of it were from commercial publishers and others were their own offerings.  I don't think I will get their next level, but there were some things I liked.  I added science, spelling, French, math, and arts, and some additional history.

What I liked:

- I liked they way they had a page each day that laid out just what to do, and the amount of work was about right.  I think I will use a similar system myself next year.

- I really liked the overall effect of the writing component - they used Growing with Grammar whch I thought might be too  many worksheets but actually was fine, although we sometimes only did half of some exercises.  This was combined with Writing & Rhetoric for composition, which we both really enjoyed.  It was very simple to use unlike other progymnasmata type programs i have seen.  We will keep using the series.

- A Child's History of the World was the history spine - we've used it other years and love it, this will be our last year with it I think.

- Sequental Spelling - this was less fuss and more effective than any other spelling program we have tried.  My daughter went from complaining about spelling problems whenever she tried to write to being a pretty confident speller in about six months.

- My own history addition was a unit on British history, which was really popular and seemed to stick.  I cobbled it together from Our Island Story, different books available in the library, and some documentaries on Youtube.  We roughly followed the timeline of what we were doing in general history.

- Science - again put together largely ad hoc.  We focused on the human body, and mainly used library books and videos.  We also took up other opportunities as they arose and spent lots of time outdoors.

What was mixed:

Singapore math - up until now  this has worked for us, and my younger daughter is still really loving it.  I had intended to turn math for my older over to her dad, but that has not worked as well as I had hoped, he is doing school of his own right now and doesn't have a lot of time.  I don't think we really need a new text series here, but we do need some new strategies.  She seems to need repitition to make techniques stick while at the same time she quickly gets really bored by it.

Literature - the literature that came with the curriculum was mixed. Some was quite good.  Some however seemed to be included simply because it was related to the history, and it was poor quality.  One book, on St Augustine, I actually sent back because it was offensive and inaccurate.  In general the biographies weren't great.

French - we used ecouter-Parler.  It is kind of boring, and too heavy on the writing, but wasn't a bad introduction.  We will need something better next year.

Skill-building - the course had a small worksheet every day for little skills.  Some of these were great  - just a few moments spent on something like alphabetical order, or how to read a dictonary entry.  Others seemed silly and useless.

What didn't work:

History - I didn't like the way they integrated Bible and history.  In principle I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but I found the selections they considered to be "history" to be a little odd.  I also had to adapt the creationist stuff.  They also used summaries from an older "story" version of the Bible.  Overall they were good, but sometimes they included surprises - one claimed for example that Jesus had younger brothers and sisters.  We ended up treating this stuff more as Bible study instead of history.

Music and Art - this aspect of the course was inadaquate, we supplemented but alone there was little there.

Bible copywork - this was chosen to correspond with history readings, but much of the time the connection was tenuous, or even misleading.  They really did nothing to encourage understanding of the passages.    After Christmas we kept using the sheets but chose passages from our lectionary instead.  That worked but isn't what i would have done if I had designed it ahead of time.

• Like 1

Cursive finally worked this year. After $$ spent on curriculum, I've ditched it all. This is what has worked. (We worked through the LoE cursive curriculum last year, so they did already know how to form letters, but they didn't feel comfortable using it.)

I have some lined white boards. While I'm in a lull, I write five words on the white board in cursive, with the child's name or an identifying detail being the first word. Then when a child is looking for something to do, he finds his white board and copies each word twice. This little bit of practice, done on a daily basis, has pushed them into cursive land. I never require cursive, but slowly they are writing individual words and now sentences in cursive.

• Like 2

What has worked:

CLE Reading - using grade 2 with my struggling reader (technically 3rd grade) -- DD loves it!

Pentime

What has not worked:

the homemade American History I spent HOURS and HOURS making (bah!)

Meh:

CLE math - my older DD loves it, my younger doesn't. I can't say I like the 1st grade level at all...I moved younger DD to MiF for now and we'll return to CLE for 2nd.

We have a few things in flux right now, with curriculum...and some things I haven't used consistently enough to judge. But the above had been tried and true.

• Like 2

WIns:

Writing with Skill 1 - as long as I condensed it to 10-15 lesson weeks and ds picked the topic.

History - middle ages - my own planned one

Math - Lial's Pre-alg and  Pre-alg Accelerated Course, Dolciani and LOF Pre-alg & Biology

Picture Study - my own

Elementary Greek

Science - Introduction to the Particle Zoo and Alice in Quantumland

The Brain by Ellen Mchenry

What didn't work:

AOPS

Jousting Armidillo - it was just ok for us.  I was kinda disappointed in it.

W&R CAP  - not for us.

• Like 2

Wins:

Writing With Ease

First Language Lessons

Writing With Skill

History Odyssey

Having everything planned before the school year started!

Fails:

AoPS

Beast Academy

Math Mammoth (switching to Math-U-See)

Spelling Power for my 3rd grader (switching to Spelling Workout)

Not being very consistent with Phonics instruction for my 1st grade (need to work on that!)

• Like 3

Wins:

I Love Math books

Miquon

Math games

Weekly hikes whenever the weather allowed

Reading with Bob books, a whiteboard, bananagrams, and index cards

Science done with library books and projects I found from Google or Pinterest.

Not so much:

History

Any reading curriculum

Mep 1a, I liked teaching it and he liked doing it, but it took too long. I think it was a bit much for him. We might try again in a few months for actual first grade.

Five In A Row. I really wanted this to work, but no luck. I am not sure why, but he groaned each time I brought it or any books out. :(

Really most purchased curriculum.

Taking the 3 year old to a museum and still expecting my 6 year old to get anything out of it.

Thinking about for next year:(1st grade)

Sticking with year round.

More hikes.

Maybe MEP again, but for now Miquon works so..

Some kind of history, just enough that he doesn't look completely lost when someone mentions George Washington or something.

Spanish???

Cooking classes!

-

• Like 1

What worked well:

-Singapore Math

-Spelling Plus

-BFSU, as long as I do it. :D

-Ambleside Online book selections

-Making up my own composers schedule.  1-2 weeks per composer is about right for us.

-Suzuki violin (and cello for my preschooler)

-Spiral notebooks for daily schedules

-Kindle for the majority of our readings.

-Using a ginormous tote bag to keep daily-use school materials next to my big comfy chair.

-Talk to Me in Korean lessons in the car.  I really really need to be able to use my mp3 player for this, though... burning a new CD every 4 lessons or so is a pain.  If our new van doesn't come with an AUX input, I'll have to get an FM radio transmitter.

-Taking 1 week off every 7 weeks.  Break week hits right before burnout.

What we're changing next year:

-Adding map work (probably using Map Trek)

-Adding a writing program (Jot it Down)

-Starting a book of narrations about the historical figures we read about.  (We actually started this midyear, but it's too early to say how well it's going.)  Kind of a baby step towards something like a Book of Centuries or a Keepsake Book.

-Adding in some Usborne Encyclopedia of World History readings as they correspond with Ambleside history readings.

-Adding some dictionary skills activities, starting with looking up her spelling words.

-Going from one to two kids doing school.  Indie will be starting a light Kindergarten: BFSU, Getty-Dubay, maybe some Singapore math.

ETA: Looking at my "what we're changing" list, it stands out to me that all of our changes are adding things.  I don't know if that should scare me or not, but if I had to summarize it as wins and fails, I would say the "Fail" is that AO alone wasn't enough (though of course we did choose to omit mapwork and Book of Centuries this year).  Maybe I would say it was enough for this year but sticking with AO as written won't be enough next year.

• Like 4

What worked well:

-Singapore Math

-Spelling Plus

-BFSU, as long as I do it. :D

-Ambleside Online book selections

-Making up my own composers schedule. 1-2 weeks per composer is about right for us.

-Suzuki violin (and cello for my preschooler)

-Spiral notebooks for daily schedules

-Kindle for the majority of our readings.

-Using a ginormous tote bag to keep daily-use school materials next to my big comfy chair.

-Talk to Me in Korean lessons in the car. I really really need to be able to use my mp3 player for this, though... burning a new CD every 4 lessons or so is a pain. If our new van doesn't come with an AUX input, I'll have to get an FM radio transmitter.

-Taking 1 week off every 7 weeks. Break week hits right before burnout.

What we're changing next year:

-Adding map work (probably using Map Trek)

-Adding a writing program (Jot it Down)

-Starting a book of narrations about the historical figures we read about. (We actually started this midyear, but it's too early to say how well it's going.) Kind of a baby step towards something like a Book of Centuries or a Keepsake Book.

-Adding in some Usborne Encyclopedia of World History readings as they correspond with Ambleside history readings.

-Adding some dictionary skills activities, starting with looking up her spelling words.

-Going from one to two kids doing school. Indie will be starting a light Kindergarten: BFSU, Getty-Dubay, maybe some Singapore math.

ETA: Looking at my "what we're changing" list, it stands out to me that all of our changes are adding things. I don't know if that should scare me or not, but if I had to summarize it as wins and fails, I would say the "Fail" is that AO alone wasn't enough (though of course we did choose to omit mapwork and Book of Centuries this year). Maybe I would say it was enough for this year but sticking with AO as written won't be enough next year.

Spiral notebooks!!!!! My life is changed forever!! Thank you!

Each child gets a spiral notebook for assignments. I write their day's assignment in the notebook the day before. They check it off when they're done. And one commenter mentioned her kids do their written work for that day in the following pages. ONE notebook. This is Brilliant!!!

• Like 4

Hits:

Quitting math programs for the 6yo and just playing games

Not trying to fit all of our school in before lunch 

Dyslexic dd(9) learning to type. She is not proficient yet, but is beginning to see that this will really free her to write

Buying a Kindle for dd. She loves audiobooks and finds reading on the Kindle to be much easier than reading books.

LOE foundations for 6yo. I cannot praise this program enough

IEW for dd9. I really resisted this program because it is so counter to my own ways of learning, but my dd is getting a lot out of it.

Having a spanish speaking teenager live with us for two months. Wow, did my kids get better at Spanish. 

More youtube for science, art and history. The kids tend to retain information when it is backed up with a video.  

Finding the WTM forum

Misses:

MBtp. I really wanted to love this program and think it is well done, it just didn't work for us.

Spelling (nothing works and I wonder if it's even worth bothering at this point)

Piano without a teacher

Morning circle time

• Like 1

Not trying to fit all of our school in before lunch 

Buying a Kindle for dd. She loves audiobooks and finds reading on the Kindle to be much easier than reading books.

More youtube for science, art and history. The kids tend to retain information when it is backed up with a video.  

YES YES YES to the first two.  And I love the idea of adding in youtube videos.

One more thing that REALLY worked: Yale open course lectures for ME.  I finished the American Revolution lectures in time to talk about George Washington when we were reading D'aulaire.  And even without that timely connection, it helped a ton just to keep me learning and interested.

• Like 2

For my 2nd grader:

What worked:

letting her (naturally) come up with and do her own art projects

free writing and teaching her about proofreading/revising, rough drafts v. Final drafts. She loves writing time now!

Being really consistent with getting math mammoth done every day

Strewing nonfiction books that I want her to read. If she sees a new book but is supposed to be doing something else (like cleaning her room) she'll stop to read it no matter what it's about. I'm taking advantage of her procrastinating. :)

Basing our school days on the RC method (3Rs + Spanish; getting additional subjects through reading good nonfiction). Not using the Robinson Curriculum, just the method.

Treasured Conversations!

What didn't:

In the beginning of the year, before simplifying, I tried to do way too many subjects.

My Pre-Ker:

This child was totally ready for K, but missed the cut off by a month. We went ahead and started K level work anyway.

What worked:

Consistent handwriting practice. Very simple - practice one letter a day on large grid paper.

Finding readers that were just the right level for him.

Teaching him about time and money concepts in math. The kid is obsessed! And it's helped him to learn most of his addition/subtraction facts. He's interested in multiplication now, so I'm happy.

What didn't:

doing more than ten minutes at a time of any seat work

Forgot to mention My Student Log Books! Working for both kids.

And our iPad. That thing is awesome.

ETA: I thought of more: not planning more than seven weeks at a time and doing a seven weeks on and eighth week for catch up/planning schedule.

I feel like this year (our third year) I've really been able to figure out what works for us and not be so easily swayed by homeschooling blogs/books/etc.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

In honor of our last official day of spring semester lessons, I am resurrecting this thread.   :rolleyes:

(I thought about starting a new hits/misses thread but this one seemed fairly recent...sometimes it's hard to figure out the finer points of forum etiquette!)

This was our first full year of homeschooling my 9yo and 12yo, so as you can see we went through a lot of curricula (especially language arts) trying to find the ones that work for us!  I learned a lot this year about what works for my kids.

HITS:

• Teaching Textbooks 
  • Timez Attack (math facts)
  • Story of the World 1 (text + map work, review questions)
  • Arrow literature guides (Bravewriter - we just started these recently but I really like them so far)
  • Spelling City, using words from Spelling Plus

MISSES: 

• Dictation sentences from Spelling Plus Dictation Resource Book (did not see any increased retention from this, plus my kids hated it)
  • Reflex Math for math facts (little retention, time-consuming)
  • Wordly Wise online (worked at first, but after a while lessons became tedious and I saw decreased retention)
  • Keyboarding without Tears 
  • Typing Instructor for kids (Typing Island)
  • Pearson Interactive Science
  • Classical Writing Aesop
  • Writing and Rhetoric Fable
  • EPS Writing Skills
  • IEW
  • SWR (drilling phonograms and rules actually made my kids' spelling worse. Short-circuited their visual memory of the correct spelling.)
  • Essentials in Writing
  • Saxon Grammar
  • Writing with Ease
  • Writing Strands

CHANGE I'M PLANNING FOR NEXT YEAR:

• For writing, after trying almost every program out there, I think next year we are going to try a Bravewriter approach.  I just bought Writer's Jungle from the Buyer's co-op a few days ago and plan to read it this summer.  The new Faltering Ownership lesson plans/writing projects look promising for both my advanced 9yo and my writing-phobic 12yo.  There are several books in the Arrow literature guides that I think will fit well with our Medieval history studies.  
  • For vocabulary I'm going to try a flashcard approach this year instead of workbooks or online -- English from the Roots Up flashcards + possibly homemade Vocabulary Workshop flashcards (I've noticed my kids don't retain that much from workbooky vocab exercises, but I do like the VW word lists.)
  • For grammar, I'm going to try Growing with Grammar again. I had used it in the past as independent work and the kids didn't like it/ showed little retention, but this time I'm going to try sitting down and doing it with them, doing much of it orally. My kids do seem to retain better that way.  The lessons are straightforward so it still shouldn't take that long.  
  • For science we are going to try Nancy Larson.  My kids are advanced in science concepts but I will approach it as a comprehensive review and a chance to practice concrete skills like recording data.  I'm planning to go through levels 2 and 3 next year. 
  • For typing, I'm abandoning online/computer-based programs. Kids did not enjoy these and I did not see much skill building relative to the time spent.  Instead I'm going to try EPS Keyboarding Skills, which is a book and teaches the keys in alphabetical order instead of QWERTY order.  I have no idea if this will work or not but it's worth a try.
  • Spelling: I am going to stick with cementing the Spelling Plus list of 1000 essential words via Spelling City.  

Now I just need to sell all the discarded curricula I have sitting around so I can afford to buy the ones for next year!  :wacko:

• Like 4

Finishing up the second year. I learned last fall that a 2 month break from math was a recipe for disaster. So for the summer, I am planning lots of reading, and a math page a day. Maybe some fun science experiments thrown in here and there. 

HITS: 

Love the SOTW 2, they would do history daily if I would!

Elemental Science Earth Sciences- kids like it, but it has been a struggle for me- last years Biology was much more my thing. 

English Lessons thru Literature 3- I debated whether or not to get bk 2 or 3. I wished I would have got 2 for my sake- I have a difficult time with Grammar, and don't really feel I am teaching it very well. Maybe a miss?

Spelling Workout

HWOT and KWOT

Balance Math/Mind Benders/Math Analogies from Critical Thinking Co

Horizon Math- More about that below...

MISSES:

Started our 2nd year with MM. Both kids. About Nov my oldest was having a heck of a time with it. Lots of problems, and I only have a B/W printer. I think it just boggled her little ADHD brain. I talked to my sis, she HS too. She really liked the Horizon books. So I got them and we haven't looked back. I like how I can give them a page, and say "do front and back". NO hassle.

Started DD7 in cursive HWOT but she began to balk so I ordered her another printing book (that she had already gone thru) and her writing is getting better. 

Did not get more than 10 lessons into Latin, and I am dismal with art and music study. Hope to improve that next year. 

ETA: I started the year with Beast Academy 3A. I didn't even get thru the book, it made me feel really stupid. The kids did enjoy the comic book format- I just didn't like the hit to my self esteem...  :lol:

• Like 1

What worked well-

AAS- it's quick and all set up for me to teach, and they learn well from it even if they don't love it.

Singapore and Beast- we flip back and forth depending on our mood. 

Being relaxed about what they are "getting done" or "not getting done".  My kids are thriving and learning and happy.  We didn't do a lot of sit down paperwork, but they are doing so well.  I need to keep remembering that!

What I'm going to change-

Science is going to start over the summer.  The kids love it, and we don't seem to make it happen during the year. Chemistry from REAL science.

Meet the Masters- I am probably going to start that over the summer too.  Same thing, they will love it, and we don't make time for art.

Composer study/music appreciation will happen along with art.  Very relaxed. Just listening and reading books.

Spanish- Salsa over the summer and pick up with Elementary Spanish again in the fall.  We totally let this slide this year because we had so many out of the house comittments.

Writing- we haven't done any writing yet.  We will attempt Jot it Down.  I've had it for a year, and we haven't started it yet....

I think that's it so far. 

• Like 1

* Task card scheduling. I made a visual card for each subject and slide them into a card protector sheet for a 3-ring-binder. The kids get a visual list of what they have to do for school that day and can choose what to do.

I just wanted to update this. We started our new year and I made a slight modification where I put a green stripe on the cards where the kids could work on it independently (things like copywork, reading to themselves quietly, etc). When I'm working with one of my kids one-on-one, the other one can look at their cards to see what they can work on while waiting for me.

We're only a few weeks in, but it's been working well. They actually *do* work now while I'm occupied (previously they would run off to play if I wasn't working directly with them).

• Like 1

This year was a big, ahem, "learning experience" for me...

Changes:

-Way more planning ahead on my part. And more ORGANIZATION.

-Switching LA from WWE, FLL, etc. to ELTL

-Switching from Zaner Bloser Cursive to Horizons

-Staying with SOTW But totally changing how I go about it. Picking and choosing what we want to study and doing it at our own pace instead of drudging through it every. single. day. with the same routine.

-Switching from RSO to Apologia. Big switch for us, but the lab kit looked way more impressive and RSO has just seemed kind of light to me lately.

-My planner. Up until this last year I've always made my own. I purchased The Ultimate Homeschool Planner from a convention and haven't liked it at all.

-Our school year schedule. We are schooling through the summer to catch up, but next year we will be planning on schooling year round. I'm excited for that freedom.

-Some type of "school" for my soon to be 3YO. Something to get him involved instead of just turning on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (although he surprisingly has learned a LOT from Mickey :lol: )

-More RA's

-More art and music

-MORE FIELD TRIPS.. LESS LIBRARY FEES.

Keeping:

-SOTW

-Horizons math

Yeah. Lots to work on. :leaving:

-

• Like 1

Hits:

1. AAS. DS is gaining confidence in spelling. He may not love it, but it's working.

2. CLE math. Love it!

3. Sonlight. This has brought fun cuddle time into our homeschool. We could do this every day of the year and DS would be totally exited about it.

4. Dropping everything but the bare necessities + Sonlight and science. For us that means math, spelling, LA, and reading. Anything else is extra and only done as time and inclination allow. I began the year with great plans for art, music, and Spanish but quickly realized that DS is not ready for spending that much TIME on "school." He loves music, but not when it infringes on his free time.

Misses: These actually line up with our hits.

1. R&S spelling. Absolutely no retention. No teaching of rules or patterns in grade 2. Complete waste of time.

2. Singapore math. We hit a wall and say at the same place for over 6 weeks. Couldn't move on. I watched DS's confidence slip daily, so we switched in January.

3. Trying to do too much for "school." DS values his free time. And he should!! I had to step back and really decide what's non-negotiable. It was very difficult to cut certain things, but I realized that math, spelling, LA, and reading--the 3 R's are the only true non-negotiables I have at this age (7, a young 2nd grader). Anything beyond those things only get done if they bring enjoyment and pleasure to our school days. We will add more as DS matures.

We also dropped co-op this spring. It was way too much commitment for the payoff. We are much happier and more relaxed without it.

This is our 3rd year homeschooling. I have gained so much confidence in what we're doing and in my understanding of DS's needs. I feel relaxed now, rather than stressed and worried. I've realized that we can get through whatever curveball gets thrown our way, and that is a very freeing feeling.

• Like 2

1. Flashcards for phonics, numbers, math facts, cursive, spelling rules, etc.

2. Charts for number recognition, cursive, etc. (small, not on the wall)

3. Self-teaching modern texts (like Saxon Math, music theory, drawing)

4, Vintage texts for copywork, phonics, beginning spelling, oral reading, etc. (McGuffey Readers)

5. Classics (including the Bible)

6. Reference books

Materials:

blank index cards (for homemade flashcards and drawings that can be taped into their composition book)

composition books (one for each kid for ALL their work)

Skills:

copywork, narration, dictation, memorization/recitation, drawing (while looking at pictures), reading for all content subjects

Schedule:

12-4:30- devotion, memory work, read aloud while drawing (just made this switch and loving it), math, spelling, copywork, and music theory

1 1/2 hours of silent reading at dark (1/2 hour each of Bible, nonfiction, and fiction)

Changes for next year:

-Memory work folders

-experiment with more specific reading list

-printing of flashcards, penmanship pages, and free classic books found online or that I have bought in printable form

(Robinson list, A2, OFE, AO?, YC, Henty collection)

-spelling textbook for self-study for oldest two (also printable)

-new music theory curriculum (just finished other one and waiting to order new one)

-new way of reinforcing math facts through copywork

-focus on Ancient and World History and Literature

-hoping to order and use old reference sets for nonfiction and Bible reading (Book of Life, Book of Knowledge)

-hoping to do more dictionary usage using older dictionaries

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great homeschooling year! 

What worked well- 

Teaching Textbooks Math 3- My son did great with it.  The explanations were great, the lessons were just the right length for his short attention span. 

LOE Foundations B- We made it all the way through! The kids loved the games, and I loved the script and the short (5 word) spelling lists.

TOG Year Two- Lower Grammar level- great read-alouds, we all learned a bunch about medieval history. The kids loved the knights, pirates, etc.

WWE- levels one and two- The kids loved the story snippets---my daughter got really excited about seeing Mary Poppins! They did well with the guided narrations and copywork. 

Easy Grammar 4- found it in audio for my older daughter who is blind, and she has been able to work on it independently, which has been awesome!

What did not work as well-

Math Mammoth- I wanted to love this as it always gets great reviews. What I did like was being able to go back and reprint lessons that needed more review. But my kids just don't seem to make much progress with this.

Spelling Power- Looks like a great program but we were just not ready for it yet.

TOG Year Two- writing program- I did not like this at all...

FLL Level 2- Again, I wanted to love this but just did not like it.

Plans for next year-

CLE Math 1 and 2

Practical Math from Hadley School for the Blind for my older daughter

SOTW Year 2 

Dancing Bears Fast Track/Apples and Pears

R&S English 2 (looks perfect for these guys)

Easy Grammar 4, second half for my older daughter

Jump In writing for my older daughter

Prima Latina/Latina Christiana 1

BTS Book 1

Critical Thinking 1 for my older daughter

Elemental Science Biology Grammar and Logic

Bible Road Trip

And then there's my almost-3-year-old who wants to do school too! I've got the R&S preschool workbooks for her, BTS Beginning, Doodling Dragons, Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1, and lots and lots of read-alouds and art projects.

• Like 1

We didn't do anything by halves this year. The hits were big hits and the misses were epic meltdowns. 

Hits: 

CLE math for DS9. Magical stuff!  

AAS, slow but steady. We tried this in first grade and it was a debacle. This year it really worked well. 

MCT, Grammar Island and Practice Island. Lovely--and we finally can identify prepositions!

SOTW, because it's SOTW! 

Misses: 
MM (I have learned my lesson, FINALLY. It doesn't work here! Stop it!)

Chemistry. For the love, how can chemistry not be fun?!?!

Art classes. Oh the horror... the shame. 

• Like 1