Menu

Fitbit for kids or something similar

*LC

I have a tween that has some money/gift cards saved and wants to buy a fitbit?

I know nothing about them other than they keep up with physical activity and calories consumed. Is there any reason my tween needs this since he is very active and eats well. 

This child likes to wear wristbands and necklaces and likes technology, but has no social media accounts. Is there something similar and cheaper that would fit this need?

I just can't see spending this much on something that I don't really see getting a lot of use. I am willing to accept I am wrong and ok the purchase if it does make sense. 

What should I know?

My dh has a fitbit and uses it daily--mostly tracking number of steps. My extremely active dd (12 yo) likes to use a cheap pedometer we had around the house to try to beat her dad. Pedometers aren't ideal--I lost one that fell off without me knowing, dd got scraped a little when she fell wearing one. Fitbits do require access to computer or phone to see your stats--nothing shows on the device. Dh uses his iPhone or iPad (dd will check on his progress on the iPad to see what she has to beat!).

I could see my dd wanting a Fitbit at some point because she does like to track her activity. It is your ds's own money--it may not be a bad purchase if he has some way to view his progress.

• Like 1

Dd and ds both have one and wear them daily.  It tracks their exercise.  They try to make their step goal every day.  It encourages a healthy lifestyle.  It will not track calories consumed unless you log in your food at your page on their website.  It will tell you how many calories you expended in exercise.  

We have each other as teammates on a FitBit team (that you can set up).  We have friendly competitions to reach our goals.  

Is your child athletic? My DS has a Garmin watch that he can use to track his runs/rides/ski races/triathlons on Strava. It's been hugely motivational for him and has helped him connect with other athletes in our area. So not only can he track his own personal information (this weeks XC race or 10k, for example) but he can also follow other people, and even try to beat their times for races or segments of rides, for example. Strava also offers monthly challenges and those have been great motivators as well.

Fwiw you have to invite other people to "follow" you and your accomplishments, so it's not like just anyone can figure out what he's doing. Strava is free to join, and the community is super supportive.

Not sure if that's the kind of thing you are looking for.

For some people, it sort of helps gamify exercise by letting you set goals and meet them. There is a social media aspect to them for some people, but you don't have to do yours that way.

If it's his money, they really do no harm. I can't imagine prohibiting my tweens from getting ones with their own funds if it was what they wanted.

• Like 2

Just a quick point: if he is looking at a wristband Fitbit, be aware of sizing for a tween.  The new Charge and Charge HR sizing seems to surprise a lot of people.  I'm 5'4" and reasonably slim and I wear the small size on the smallest-but-one hole.  It's a close but not a tight fit.  The unit itself is rigid across the top of my wrist, so there's probably a limit to how small the company can make the wrist band.  I'm not sure if the Flex goes smaller.  There's always the non-wristband type if sizing is an issue.

L

I had an older generation Fitbit that clipped on, and I liked the tracking features, but I've got my eye on the new wristband ones.

We have this pedometer:

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-303-HJ-303-Pedometer/dp/B001IV5ZHS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1423428757&sr=8-14&keywords=Omron+pedometer

It's really nice but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay $60 for it. My oldest daughter likes wearing it, to count her steps.

• 2 years later...

If you're looking for a fitbit for kids, this article reviews some of the best ones. But I would recommend going for a Garmin vivofit jr. It will serve the purpose and your child will love the fancy gadget too. Fitbits are a bit overly priced plus an activity tracker like vivofit is good enough for kids.

Edited by melissaduncan

I use a misfit (that can also track cycle), dd a Polar Loop.

She doesn't have something with IOS, and Polar loop can be synchronized with a windows system.

De Polar Loop is also a watch, trills when she sits too long :), and give suggestions what to do to to reach the goal (x minutes walking, y minutes running).

I can set my own goals, Polar Loop determines the daily goal for you, so after being active for a while, the goal increases.

You don't need social media accounts to use a Fitbit. I used a Charge HR for a year and a half and the social media aspect never even occurred to me. I'm internally motivated, not motivated by competition with others. My one complaint about the Charge HRs is that mine were flimsy. I went through two in about eighteen months (the first one was replaced under warranty). After the second one fell apart I gave up on them. I don't think I'm particularly hard on things like that. I found the stats/info they provided me to be quite accurate (although a lot of that is getting your Dashboard set up correctly).

• Like 1

I doubt that it's any huge danger, but I am slightly leery of these sorts of things for kids who don't have actual health issues or serious athletic training goals. I'm uncomfortable with the possibility of a reasonably healthy, young kid getting obsessive with calorie burns. For that reason, I would juse try to stay alert.

FWIW, I have multiple gadgets, but prefer my free phone app to give me a general (not as accurate as most gadgets) overview.

I use this one-https://unicefkidpower.org/store/ it's basically just a pedometer with some gamificafion added (you unlock videos and other stuff about UNICEF programs worldwide and theoretically earn points towards supporting their programs. I say theoretically because I assume the donation is Part of what you paid up front, not actually dependent on what the kid does). I tend to kill digital devices, and this one has lived more than a year so far. DD also has one. https://unicefkidpower.org/store/

I use this one-https://unicefkidpower.org/store/ it's basically just a pedometer with some gamificafion added (you unlock videos and other stuff about UNICEF programs worldwide and theoretically earn points towards supporting their programs. I say theoretically because I assume the donation is Part of what you paid up front, not actually dependent on what the kid does). I tend to kill digital devices, and this one has lived more than a year so far. DD also has one. https://unicefkidpower.org/store/

That's really neat. Does it fit an adult-sized wrist? I might want this, in addition to getting it for my girls.

letscom or felis both make fitness trackers with replaceable braclets that look and function similarly to fitbit - and are under $50.

of the knockoffs (they all tend to look like the fitbit alta) - this has the highest rating on amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZQ7FMM?psc=1

under $30.

I had come across one review when I was getting my fitbit, and thought it would work for dudling if he wanted one - but he doesn't care.

I don't use my fitbit Alta to track calories. I'm most interested in tracking sleep patterns. And it's also my personal assistant; all of my Google Calendar reminders are sent to my fitbit. That's my favorite feature.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't use my fitbit Alta to track calories. I'm most interested in tracking sleep patterns. And it's also my personal assistant; all of my Google Calendar reminders are sent to my fitbit. That's my favorite feature.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

and you can't do sleep patterns with a phone app . . . . I want steps. . . and there are places I simply can't bring my phone.

letscom or felis both make fitness trackers with replaceable braclets that look and function similarly to fitbit - and are under $50.

of the knockoffs (they all tend to look like the fitbit alta) - this has the highest rating on amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZQ7FMM?psc=1

under $30.

I might try this one for myself.  It looks like it does everything I want it to do and is simple and easy to use.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...