Menu

What kids around the world eat for breakfast (NYTimes)

umsami

Neat article to me. I love all of those what the world eats type books. :)

I wish somebody would make idli for me. 

I would eat the Turkish breakfast any day of the week.

And where can I buy the Dutch chocolate sprinkles for my bread? :)

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/08/magazine/eaters-all-over.html?WT.mc_id=2015-Q1-KEYWEE-AUD_DEV-0101-0331&WT.mc_ev=click&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1420088400&bicmet=1451624400&ad-keywords=KEYWEEAD&kwp_0=7698&kwp_4=56156&kwp_1=119991&_r=2

My friend gave me a box of the dutch chocolate flakes that melt on your toast. Interesting...

Thanks for posting!

My BIL is ABC (American-born-chinese) and won't eat sweet breakfasts. When he is at our house, he puts salty peanuts or Chinese dried shredded pork on his oatmeal.

Emily

Interesting.  I want that chocolate too!  That spread in Istanbul looks pretty good too.  I wouldn't mind eating some of that for breakfast.  When we were in Disneyland Paris, the types of food on their buffets were amazing in their diversity.  It was so interesting to see kids from different countries filling their plates with cous cous, tabouleh, falafel, meat "stuff" in aspic, and escargot (this is Indy's favorite food in the world).  There aren't a whole lot of kids in the US who would eat that stuff.

That Brazilian breakfast rocked! I love meat and cheese on a sandwich (theirs was separate, but similar idea) with a big cup of milky coffee. I'm pregnant so I had to stop reading it; it was making me too hungry. :)

My son sometimes requests and drinks coffee, heavy on the milk with sugar added ;)... he has liked the taste since his toddlerhood. I get weird looks for it. But personally I think a bit of cafe au lait is a heck of a lot better for my son than the sugary sodas I see kids guzzle all too often around here, or even undiluted fruit juice (which we also limit).

That Brazilian breakfast rocked! I love meat and cheese on a sandwich (theirs was separate, but similar idea) with a big cup of milky coffee. I'm pregnant so I had to stop reading it; it was making me too hungry. :)

My son sometimes requests and drinks coffee, heavy on the milk with sugar added ;)... he has liked the taste since his toddlerhood. I get weird looks for it. But personally I think a bit of cafe au lait is a heck of a lot better for my son than the sugary sodas I see kids guzzle all too often around here, or even undiluted fruit juice (which we also limit).

When I was a kid, I loved going over to my friend Nora's house.  Her Mom would make us "children's coffee".... a tiny bit of coffee (maybe 1/10th of a mug), filled with milk and a ton of sugar. 

Unfortunately, it ruined me for real coffee. I love coffee ice cream, but I can only drink coffee if it has a ton of sugar and a ton of milk...kind of like an over-sweetened cappuccino. :)

If you want chocolate sprinkles (hagelslag), a number of companies in the US import it and all the other types of hagel for Dutch expats. My kids like the ones with "funnies", regular hagel/vlokken with specially-shaped bits mixed in. I'm not so crazy about it because we then have a huge debate over who got the most funnies and shaking the box to get the funnies out etc!

If you want chocolate sprinkles (hagelslag), a number of companies in the US import it and all the other types of hagel for Dutch expats. My kids like the ones with "funnies", regular hagel/vlokken with specially-shaped bits mixed in. I'm not so crazy about it because we then have a huge debate over who got the most funnies and shaking the box to get the funnies out etc!

How would I go about finding a store in my area? I think this might make breakfast more magical...or at least a bit more fun!

How would I go about finding a store in my area? I think this might make breakfast more magical...or at least a bit more fun!

You can try googling "Dutch store" and the name of your nearest metropolitan city. Or look up "Dutch club" and city, and they'll link to expat stores.

I know Denver has a Dutch grocery store.

Oh, and you can use real salted butter on the bread (and yes, it's usually "brown" i.e. wheat bread). Dutch now tend to use unsalted margarine concoctions, which are weirdly tasteless. Salted butter and chocolate together is yummy though, I think. But the IL's do think I eat odd things.....

One post I saw on the sprinkles suggested trying an Asian store as they are very popular in Indonesia too. :)

I may order some of the overpriced Amazon ones for me, I mean the kids, for Valentine's Day.  ;)

Ful...is a favorite breakfast here especially during Ramadan as it keeps you full for so long.  You can buy the canned cooked beans in most Middle Eastern/Halal stores and then doctor them up.  We like ours with sautéed onion and tomato and a little extra tahini....and then serve with pita bread and hard boiled egg.

I think the Japanese breakfast wins. I wish I could eat natto but I'm afraid of it. It's soooooo good for you! Quite a few of the other breakfasts looked wonderfully nutritious too, but somebody has to make all that stuff. :-/

I knew American breakfast would be the big nutritional loser but who am I to judge? As I sit here eating a blueberry muffin at Panera. ;)

I think there is a big difference between the daily breakfast and what is eaten on weekends.  Even in the US what people eat on weekends (or what homeschoolers with more time will cook) is usually more nutritious and elaborate than cold sugary cereal with milk.  After all, if you go into a diner to choose a traditional American breakfast it isn't Corn flakes and milk but eggs and bacon or an omelet or waffle (ok the waffle isn't better nutritionally).  

As far as natto goes, there is a huge divide between Japanese who love it and those who hate it.  I've never heard of anyone in between!  

We now have a weekly menu plan on our fridge and breakfast changes daily, but we also moved to a gluten free diet more than a year ago and that has removed most cereals - my eldest won't eat them anyway. So we eat some form of egg (scrambled, fried or boiled or omelettes), my youngest eats maize porridge sometimes as we have been trying to increase her weight (she was significantly underweight last year), many times they have yoghurt with fruit or a piece of GF toast with cheese or jam. The eldest sometimes has corn cakes with cheese too. Many children in South Africa grow up eating porridge - Maltabella (sorghum based), maize porridge or typical wheat based porridge, but like America sugary cereals are also common. Its a good article to read - you can eat anything for breakfast - I sometimes eat left over dinner too. 

I think there is a big difference between the daily breakfast and what is eaten on weekends.  Even in the US what people eat on weekends (or what homeschoolers with more time will cook) is usually more nutritious and elaborate than cold sugary cereal with milk.  After all, if you go into a diner to choose a traditional American breakfast it isn't Corn flakes and milk but eggs and bacon or an omelet or waffle (ok the waffle isn't better nutritionally).  

As far as natto goes, there is a huge divide between Japanese who love it and those who hate it.  I've never heard of anyone in between!  

Well that and we probably have more diversity here than some other places.  I'm sure people eat a huge variety of things in the US.

They serve Big G cereal for breakfast in our school district.  And it's free.  So I imagine a lot of parents take them up on it. 

Oh, the sacrilege!

I highly suspect that the young Kiwi mentioned in the article has NZ Marmite, rather than Vegemite, on his toast soldiers. Maybe the NYT reporter has him confused with another youngster across the ditch...

I used to have hagelslag on bread for breakfast every morning... though my mom would require me to have a 'healthy' sandwich first - for me, generally pb&j (though that is totally not "Dutch"). My second piece of bread was always hagelslag (the big thick flakes were my favorite, though I loved the fruit flavored one and the anise flavored 'Muisjes') or Nutella/Duo Penotti.

Can't have it in the house to this day, or it'll be gone in a week. In fact, I try to stay away from bread for breakfast all together, but as a Dutchie, it's tough. It's truly a comfort food for me.

Oh, the sacrilege!

I highly suspect that the young Kiwi mentioned in the article has NZ Marmite, rather than Vegemite, on his toast soldiers. Maybe the NYT reporter has him confused with another youngster across the ditch...

Here comes the discussion about Vegemite and Marmite again. Let us begin since I have forgotten it since the last thread... :lol:   The real shame is that I have never tasted either.

Neat article to me. I love all of those what the world eats type books. :)

I wish somebody would make idli for me. 

I would eat the Turkish breakfast any day of the week.

And where can I buy the Dutch chocolate sprinkles for my bread? :)

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/08/magazine/eaters-all-over.html?WT.mc_id=2015-Q1-KEYWEE-AUD_DEV-0101-0331&WT.mc_ev=click&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1420088400&bicmet=1451624400&ad-keywords=KEYWEEAD&kwp_0=7698&kwp_4=56156&kwp_1=119991&_r=2

You don't happen to live near Grand Rapids (or any other city where large numbers of descendants of Dutch immigrants) reside?  I'd imagine that you could find it in local stores in those areas. I went to Calvin College, which is rooted in the Christian Reformed (and very largely Dutch American) Church, and got introduced to that while there. 

But, obviously, you could just go online if it's a special, "let's try this" treat. But if you happen to live in an area where there is a reasonably strong Dutch immigrant history (West Michigan, south suburbs of Chicago, Pennsylvania), I'd imagine you could find it locally.

I really don't like breakfast much.  I'd love to get out of the cereal habit for the kids, but even if the kids didn't get up before me I wouldn't want to be cooking breakfast in the mornings.  

We do a few different things, but they have to be premade, and in general, none of them are particularly good for you.  

The stuff in the pictures looks amazing.

I pulled a jar of Marmite out of my cupboard (I think my husband eats it since it is vegetarian - Bovril on the other hand is not - it is made of beef) - it is basically water, yeast, salt and spices - this one that I am looking at is produced in South Africa. You can put it on Provitas (a biscuit - but not sweet) with cheese added or on toast. I have eaten it in the past and they have made Marmite cheese spread now which I actually prefer, but with a GF low carb diet I am not eating much of anything to put it on.

We now have a weekly menu plan on our fridge and breakfast changes daily, but we also moved to a gluten free diet more than a year ago and that has removed most cereals - my eldest won't eat them anyway. So we eat some form of egg (scrambled, fried or boiled or omelettes), my youngest eats maize porridge sometimes as we have been trying to increase her weight (she was significantly underweight last year), many times they have yoghurt with fruit or a piece of GF toast with cheese or jam. The eldest sometimes has corn cakes with cheese too. Many children in South Africa grow up eating porridge - Maltabella (sorghum based), maize porridge or typical wheat based porridge, but like America sugary cereals are also common. Its a good article to read - you can eat anything for breakfast - I sometimes eat left over dinner too.

You don't even know how helpful your post is!!! Our 7 year old has a crazy amount of very severe food allergies, but she can have sorghum! I'm so going to get some. There's only 1 or 2 cold cereals she can eat, plus we rotate it with granola and her special bread - she doesn't complain, but i know she'd like something new. Do you serve it plain or add things in? I'm so excited. :-)

my kids eat eggs, maize porridge or sorghum weetbix for breakfast.  Bacon if they're lucky.  They occasionally have cereal but the GF stuff is soooo expensive, so that's a luxury. 

And marmite.  There is not debte.  Marmite.  As an aside, during the "great marmite shortage" after the earthquakes trashed the factory I sold a jar of the stuff for $50.  Madness. 

We spent a week in Amsterdam in 2012. We lived in an apartment and went grocery shopping at Albert Heijn every day. Why did I never hear about the chocolate shavings? I must have  passed them by in the grocery without knowing it!  Each morning we would walk to a bakery where we would purchase the most lovely pastries for breakfast. When my husband goes there on business, he brings back stroopwaffles and my son's favorite candy bar (the name of which is escaping me at the moment) for us. I'll have to add some chocolate flakes to the list. I keep trying to get him to bring back some Swiss Cheese Cheetos, but he thinks I'm nuts. I think they were wonderful! 

You don't happen to live near Grand Rapids (or any other city where large numbers of descendants of Dutch immigrants) reside?  I'd imagine that you could find it in local stores in those areas. I went to Calvin College, which is rooted in the Christian Reformed (and very largely Dutch American) Church, and got introduced to that while there. 

But, obviously, you could just go online if it's a special, "let's try this" treat. But if you happen to live in an area where there is a reasonably strong Dutch immigrant history (West Michigan, south suburbs of Chicago, Pennsylvania), I'd imagine you could find it locally.

I grew up in Michigan, and we used to go to Holland (Michigan) at least every other year...but sadly I've moved on.  You gave me a great idea, though, if we end up liking them.  I'll get Michigan relatives to pick me up some. :)

We spent a week in Amsterdam in 2012. We lived in an apartment and went grocery shopping at Albert Heijn every day. Why did I never hear about the chocolate shavings? I must have  passed them by in the grocery without knowing it!  Each morning we would walk to a bakery where we would purchase the most lovely pastries for breakfast. When my husband goes there on business, he brings back stroopwaffles and my son's favorite candy bar (the name of which is escaping me at the moment) for us. I'll have to add some chocolate flakes to the list. I keep trying to get him to bring back some Swiss Cheese Cheetos, but he thinks I'm nuts. I think they were wonderful! 

Albert Heijn most definitely has them. You could buy them online as well, if you want to try it, or in the multicultural section of many stores here in the US (at least, they are easy enough to find in WA).

I love Stroopwafels (and the stroopkoeken alternative) as well, yummy. And drop (especially the honey kind). And the large variety of gummies (winegums, anyone?). Mentos. Wilhelmina Pepermunt. Stophoest cough lozenges (they are really tasty lol). Verkade chocolate. Oliebollen. Paasbrood. Boterkoek (I have the best recipe). Gevulde speculaas. Kruidnoten/Pepernoten. Taai-taai! Vla. Poffertjes. Dutch Apple Pie.

Ok. I need to stop thinking Dutch sweets. My next trip 'home' is way too far away. :(

I am not where you would get hold of Maltabella - it is a very South African product that some people have imported after being here. Most people eat it with milk and sugar - they make chocolate and strawberry versions here. If you want to make your own Maltabella you use 1 cup of Sorghum meal with 1tsp salt and 3 cups of water but then you have to bake it for nearly an hour whereas the mixture we get here takes much less time to cook for some reason. You can also eat it with nuts, honey, seeds or raisins and any form of milk (soy/rice/coconut etc).

I pulled a jar of Marmite out of my cupboard (I think my husband eats it since it is vegetarian - Bovril on the other hand is not - it is made of beef) - it is basically water, yeast, salt and spices - this one that I am looking at is produced in South Africa. You can put it on Provitas (a biscuit - but not sweet) with cheese added or on toast. I have eaten it in the past and they have made Marmite cheese spread now which I actually prefer, but with a GF low carb diet I am not eating much of anything to put it on.

I love both Marmite and Bovril. I might like Bovril a bit more. I quite like having them as a drink. 1tsp of either in a mug and add hot water.

Albert Heijn most definitely has them. You could buy them online as well, if you want to try it, or in the multicultural section of many stores here in the US (at least, they are easy enough to find in WA).

I love Stroopwafels (and the stroopkoeken alternative) as well, yummy. And drop (especially the honey kind). And the large variety of gummies (winegums, anyone?). Mentos. Wilhelmina Pepermunt. Stophoest cough lozenges (they are really tasty lol). Verkade chocolate. Oliebollen. Paasbrood. Boterkoek (I have the best recipe). Gevulde speculaas. Kruidnoten/Pepernoten. Taai-taai! Vla. Poffertjes. Dutch Apple Pie.

Ok. I need to stop thinking Dutch sweets. My next trip 'home' is way too far away. :(

We made Oliebollen last year. We did it after Christmas so my mom could have some (her father was from Amsterdam and they lived with his parents in Chicago while she was growing up). They were so good! I've had the Wilhelmina Pepermunt - they are different than the peppermints here & I really like them as well. 

I found Dutchmailorder.com today as well. Their prices are much more reasonable than those at Amazon, but shipping to the states is costly. 

I checked the international section of our grocery store about an hour ago and they don't have any. Their European food selection is very small, though.  I'll check other groceries, I have two more chains within a few miles of our house. 

I thought the information about how kids pick up tastes even in the womb was interesting.  I knew that it was important to introduce kids to a variety of foods more than once but I didn't know that what I ate while pregnant was part of it.  

I don't really believe this or I doubt that would be easy to prove.

I fed my first a variety.  No junk.  Now his list of won't eat foods is quite long.  However, he is not the only one in my family who is exactly like this so I can't say I have no clue where it came from.  Then my other son will eat anything.  By the time he came along I had lightened up quite a bit in terms of what I'd give my kids to eat, but go figure his favorite food is salad.  My older kid won't eat any vegetables whatsoever.  He will eat some fruits. 

Whew!  It's good to know that we're presumptuous about breakfast, too!  LOL!  ;)  These photos are always fun to see.  My kids love them.

What's interesting is that in the very first example of the little Japanese girl the mom didn't really care if the child hated the taste of the fermented bean goop.  By golly, she was gonna eat it!  I think we here in America are spoiled? lucky or blessed? to have enough choices that we don't feel we need to make our children eat something "tepid, sour, fermented and savory;" if it's gross we don't eat it.  :P  Should we broaden our breakfast our horizons?  Sure, if we want to. 

Or, I'll keep eating my baked oatmeal with fruit and a hard-boiled egg most days of the week.  So not cultured.  :P