Menu

Do you color your own hair? Cut it?

Ginevra

Just curious how much I can attempt. Know any good tutorials for coloring hair at home? I have done semi-permanent at home with reasonable results. The way I like my hair best is a two-step process. I get highlights first and then a toner. I have not done highlights myself, though, and don't know if that is an idea with any merit. Hive advice?

I do a box to even out the color and the greys that come back are the highlights. I have not quite bought into the idea I could/will/should/might go grey completely. 

I also cut my own hair because as a curly girl it's 1. hard to ruin my hair if you know how to treat it and 2. I have some horrid cuts from people I paid to do the job but really didn't know how to handle curly hair. 

I color mine using a kit from Loreal that includes color and highlights (2 different steps).

For real? I didn't know there was anything like this! What is it called?

I have very long very dark hair. I never had a desire to color it in any way until that blasted grey started. Now I color it at home with regular dark brown loreal. I have it cut by my lomg time hair dresser every 3 months or so. When I can afford it I have her color it and she puts a red color over the grey which is nice. But it is a luxury to me at this point.

I would like to try something like that where you just brush on the highlights.

How long do you leave the bleach on? Do you cover it while it's processing? My hair seems to take a long time to process and if I don't cover it the bleach dries out before it's done processing and the highlights end up brassy.

I would like to try something like that where you just brush on the highlights.

How long do you leave the bleach on? Do you cover it while it's processing? My hair seems to take a long time to process and if I don't cover it the bleach dries out before it's done processing and the highlights end up brassy.

I think it is something like 20 minutes. The highlights are a blue thickish type mixture that just goes where you put it. There is nothing to cover it, but I suppose you could use a shower cap if you wanted.

I color my own hair and find it pretty easy. Both my past hairdresser and my current one have told me I do a good job and to keep doing what I am doing. I have also done highlights on my daughter's hair. I bought the supplies at Sally's and watched a youtube video first. However, if I wanted highlights on my own hair I would probably have a professional do it because I think it would be hard to do on myself. I'm not that talented in the beauty department. :) I also don't cut my own hair, because I stink at even trimming bangs. What my hair looks like is important to me because I rarely wear makeup (I'm just simply too lazy to apply it--ha ha!), so I feel my hairstyle is my way of making myself up, if that makes any sense.

I'm thrilled that I only have to pay $3 (I use Revlon) to color my hair, but I would pay to have someone do it if I couldn't. And I pay for a good haircut every 2 months.

I cut my own hair, but I have curly hair that professionals just don't seem to know how to deal with. (Very curly in the back, wavy in the front, almost straight in one small section at the crown) So my chopping on it for free looks better than what I've paid people for..lol.

I have also colored my own in the past, but never had quite as nice results as when I went and had someone else do it.

I have colored my own hair for many, many years.   I typically use L'Oreal with highlights.

I have also been cutting my own for year.  It helps that I have naturally wavy hair that is quite forgiving if I don't cut it exactly perfectly.   I just get it really wet, lie flat on my stomach overhanging the bed, and flip my hair over and cut straight across.  It isn't perfect, but it has allowed me to save a lot of money and have a nice layered look.

Just curious how much I can attempt. Know any good tutorials for coloring hair at home? I have done semi-permanent at home with reasonable results. The way I like my hair best is a two-step process. I get highlights first and then a toner. I have not done highlights myself, though, and don't know if that is an idea with any merit. Hive advice?

Color is easy.  I wouldn't try to cut my own hair though.  Your gray streaks are highlights.  :)

You just go to a Sally's Beauty Supply or other beauty supply shop and they will tell you what to buy.  I'm mostly bleaching the odd mix of colors I have now, to blend in more with the white.  Easy.  20 minutes.  Buy 20% or 30% Developer, and bottles of color, more if you have more hair.  If applicable, buy the Red-Gold remover and the Grey coverage tiny bottles of drops you add.

Easy peasy. 

I have colored my own hair for many, many years. I typically use L'Oreal with highlights.

I have also been cutting my own for year. It helps that I have naturally wavy hair that is quite forgiving if I don't cut it exactly perfectly. I just get it really wet, lie flat on my stomach overhanging the bed, and flip my hair over and cut straight across. It isn't perfect, but it has allowed me to save a lot of money and have a nice layered look.

Fascinating! The Bed-lying Inversion Method! ;)

I know I shouldn't, but I bought my own thinning shears and when I can't stand my hair because it's heavy and doing nothing, I hack away with those.  Every so often I will use regular scissors to hack off an odd end that I think looks bad, but I don't attempt changing the overall length myself or doing my own layering.  When I finally do take my head to the hairdresser to get it uniformly shortened all over, I am positive that she hates me for bringing her such a hacked-up mess, but I tip her well for fixing it. 

Color is easy.  I wouldn't try to cut my own hair though.  Your gray streaks are highlights.  :)

You just go to a Sally's Beauty Supply or other beauty supply shop and they will tell you what to buy.  I'm mostly bleaching the odd mix of colors I have now, to blend in more with the white.  Easy.  20 minutes.  Buy 20% or 30% Developer, and bottles of color, more if you have more hair.  If applicable, buy the Red-Gold remover and the Grey coverage tiny bottles of drops you add.

Easy peasy. 

I almost tried the No-red from Sally's which I think is the same as Red-Gold remover but I was alarmed that it turned my hair coloring mixture of dark blonde/light brown to a very dark brown, almost black color so I was afraid to apply. What color does your Red-Gold remover make your hair color and do you use similar colors?

For OP- I use revlon colorsilk half light ash brown and half dark ash blonde. If you tend to turn red or brassy then ash colors are better from what little I know. I did try Revlon highlighting kit with a cap successfully but I did do the timer test. However, one time I tired it I overbleached and my highlighted hairs looked grey almost. Also, I have heard always choose a color lighter than you think you want. It is easier to go darker if you make a mistake than to go lighter. Also, mixing 2 colors together like I do supposedly makes it look more natural. I use this video's techniques to color my hair:

I almost tried the No-red from Sally's which I think is the same as Red-Gold remover but I was alarmed that it turned my hair coloring mixture of dark blonde/light brown to a very dark brown, almost black color so I was afraid to apply. What color does your Red-Gold remover make your hair color and do you use similar colors?

For OP- I use revlon colorsilk half light ash brown and half dark ash blonde. If you tend to turn red or brassy then ash colors are better from what little I know. I did try Revlon highlighting kit with a cap successfully but I did do the timer test. However, one time I tired it I overbleached and my highlighted hairs looked grey almost. Also, I have heard always choose a color lighter than you think you want. It is easier to go darker if you make a mistake than to go lighter. Also, mixing 2 colors together like I do supposedly makes it look more natural. I use this video's techniques to color my hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v1sf1vBPeg&index=91&list=FL7qwHN4b2B4Ec_71x5lcHrQ

Ardell Red-Gold Corrector plus.  It didn't affect the color of the hair at all, but it did make the solution kind of pink before application.  It removes brassiness.

The other is Grey Magic. Both are bottles of drops. 

I don't use regular boxed colors from the store - they don't look as good, in my opinion.