Menu

History Curriculum that ISNT SOTW

Coco_Clark

We've been doing SOTW for a year and a half and while we dont HATE it, we also dont LOVE it.  I do feel it moves along too fast, and this year we've dropped book 2 to half time.  But I also feel it jumps around too much.  We read about one thing one week, and then a completely different place/time the next week.  My kids have commented that "Its all the same. They take over the land, build up an empire, the empire falls, over and over and over."   I mean, I guess that's history but they think it's really boring. 

We have enjoyed a few things...Egypt, Rome, Vikings.  But I'm realizing that when we are having fun it's because we've left SOTW for a while to dig deep a few weeks.  Then we have lots of boring weeks in SOTW until we get to the next good part.  In fact, as we were finishing up Vikings before Chiristmas my 7yo asked "How many weeks until the next good part?"  :/

At this age (5, 7) I don't think they really need a full world history viewpoint, and I wonder if we'd be better off skipping all the Indian history, African history, ect and simply do something more along the lines of Unit Studies on the Euro-centric topics that DO have lots of good extra reading available at the library.  They can get a full world view later.  But just skipping those SOTW chapters doesn't seem to work.  They reference each other quite a bit.

Is there a curriculum like this or that I can do this with?  Tapestry seems like it maybe does this, but its soo expensive and seems to really shine with older kids.  History Oydssey?  Truth Quest?   We prefer lit based and can go secular or Christian without many issues.  

• Like 4

My kids love history the most when we have done Simply Charlotte Mason.  They have a free curriculum guide on their website as well as teaching tips in the blog series.  But you can also buy an inexpensive family guide.  For your ages, you can just read the books listed for the lower level and not add all of the family books.  

We supplement with Draw and Write Through History books, CC sentences and a timeline.

ETA: I don't follow the 6 year cycle SCM does though.  I condense it into a 4 year cycle.

• Like 2

My kids love history the most when we have done Simply Charlotte Mason.  They have a free curriculum guide on their website as well as teaching tips in the blog series.  But you can also buy an inexpensive family guide.  For your ages, you can just read the books listed for the lower level and not add all of the family books.  

We supplement with Draw and Write Through History books, CC sentences and a timeline.

ETA: I don't follow the 6 year cycle SCM does though.  I condense it into a 4 year cycle.

What is your plan for doing the above? I've searched for one and haven't found it.

• Like 2

To condense SCM, turn each of the first 3 years into 1 term. The first 3 years are so stretched out because of all the Bible reading. Just skipping all the Bible reading and uber-Christian resources, will reduce the amount of reading significantly.

Year 1: SCM 1-3. 1 module per term. Term 1 Egypt. Term 2 Greece. Term 3 Rome.

Year 2: SCM 4

Year 3: SCM 5

Year 4: SCM 6

• Like 9

Coco_Clark, I prefer to be more euro-centric, too, and that is one of the main reasons, I am not a total SOTW die hard. I know EXACTLY what you mean about not being able to skip chapters. Sigh!

What I have sometimes done, with some students, is to just use the audio and coloring pages for most of the chapters, and then formally teach a few select chapters. I have one student that really likes to listen and color. I think she is actually wearing out the volume 1 CDs.

We are working through the Usborne Internet-linked Encyclopedia of World History.  It isn't a set curriculum but we work through a few pages at a time.  My son likes it a lot better than SOTW (he doesn't like just sitting and listening to me read the narrative) and it is easier to jump around or skip parts since each section can stand alone.  I add in library books on the time period by doing a quick library search and he will usually draw a picture with a very short narration based on the reading.  I have maps but he's not a fan of map work so we usually just find the location on the globe.

I started using the 'quick-links' feature recently and it actually is quite good and really easy to navigate.  I can't believe I didn't start using it earlier, the links are a huge hit with my kids.

• Like 2

There is a great book called "All through the Ages" that sounds like it may be a great fit for you.  You do not need any specific curriculum.  It breaks down history chronologically and gives you book lists that are specific to every age.  It is a book that is used as a resource for the entire family through highschool reading.  Check it out: http://www.nothingnewpress.com/books/all-through-the-ages-2/

I own a copy and have found that I no longer need to rely on Sonlight book lists.  The author breaks down reading lists for literature, biographies, specific events, etc.  I can also say that SCM is an excellent curriculum to use.  I'm looking forward to getting back to it when ds7 gets a bit older.  It's great for having more than 1 child to teach and now that ds17 is taking all his courses at the community college, the content is a bit too much for ds7.  We used SCM last year and we loved it.  Where SOW seems to go too fast, SCM has been said to take things too slow.  I really didnt have that problem though.  

• Like 4

I group SOTW 1 and some SOTW 2 readings by region.  I wanted my children to have a stronger sense of each distinct people group.  We also do a lot of the recommended readings and activities in the activity books.

I love All Through the Ages for supplementing SOTW now and then and for the second and third history rotations.

• Like 2

I group SOTW 1 and some SOTW 2 readings by region. I wanted my children to have a stronger sense of each distinct people group. We also do a lot of the recommended readings and activities in the activity books.

I love All Through the Ages for supplementing SOTW now and then and for the second and third history rotations.

I am thinking of doing this next year when we start SOTW for the same reason. I want us to rest in one culture and enjoy it before moving on. Would you be willing to share your groupings with me?

Sounds like why we left SOTW... I have found that the spine of VP cards and materials guiding our studies using Truthquest materials to dig deeper (binder builder and history timeline cards mostly) with Sonlight readers and read aloud are a great fit. We get to set it up in units so we spend longer on one group of people and the kids get to actually interact with the material.

The Truthquest materials are great for that as well-- set up in units with hands on notebooking/lapbook type stuff with lots of lit. You use as much or as little as you want.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to go out on a limb and try out using book lists from All Through the Ages and others and see if using just living books for History works for us. I'm a bit nervous that not having a spine at all will make us lose the connections that SOTW provides... But we will see how it works out. I can always just pull SOTW back off the shelf. And can still use the Activity Guide for projects and map work since I already have it.

We plan on staying in the Middle Ages for the rest of this year, its a huge interest point. So next year my plan is to get us to atleast the American Revolution for the year after. If living books alone don't work I can find an American History spine for that year fairly easy I imagine :).

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to go out on a limb and try out using book lists from All Through the Ages and others and see if using just living books for History works for us. I'm a bit nervous that not having a spine at all will make us lose the connections that SOTW provides... But we will see how it works out. I can always just pull SOTW back off the shelf. And can still use the Activity Guide for projects and map work since I already have it.

We plan on staying in the Middle Ages for the rest of this year, its a huge interest point. So next year my plan is to get us to atleast the American Revolution for the year after. If living books alone don't work I can find an American History spine for that year fairly easy I imagine :).

I think loving books in a unit type order with the SOTW AG will be great :) we considered it several times and wish especially in the beginning we would have done that.

• Like 1

Sorry about the formatting.  I cut and pasted it from a 2 column document that had the table of contents from SOTW 1 as it is in the book in the left column and my arrangement by region in the right column.  If I knew how take this regional arrangement and put it in two columns to utilize the space better I would have. Instead it's a loooong list. You can change the order of regions covered in the middle, but I suggest keeping the beginning as is for the Intro., Mesopotamia/Middle East and Greece and then ending with Rome.  SOTW2 begins with a recap of Rome.

Intro. To History Unit Study

Introduction: How Do We Know What Happened?

What is History?                               1

What is Archaeology?                      3

Mesopotamia/Middle East Unit Study

Ch. 1: The Earliest People

The First Nomads                              7

Nomads Become Farmers               9

Cuneiform                                         21

Ch. 5: First Sumerian Dictator

Sargon and the Akkadians              32

Ch. 6: The Jewish People

God Speaks to Abraham                  35

Ch. 7 Hammurabi and the Babylonians

HammurabiĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Code                            46

Ch. 8: The Assyrians

Smashi-Adad, King of the World      51

The Story of Gilgamesh                      53

Ch. 16: The Return of Assyria

AshurbanipalĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Attack                       115

The Library of Nineveh                      118

Ch. 17 Babylon Takes Over Again!

NebuchadnezzarĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Madness             122

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon         124

Ch. 21: The Medes and the Persians

A New Empire                                          155

Cyrus the Great                                         158

Ancient Egypt Unit Study

Ch. 2 Egyptians on the Nile

2 Kingdoms Become One                         14

Gods of Ancient Egypt                               18

Ch. 3: The First Writing

Hieroglyphs and Cuneiform                        21

Ch. 4: The Old Kingdoms of Egypt

Making Mummies                                        25

Egyptians Pyramids                                      28

Joseph Goes to Egypt                                   39

Ch. 12: The Middle Kingdom of Egypt

Egypt invades Nubia                                     88

The Hyksos Invade Egypt                             90

Ch. 13 The New Kingdom of Egypt

The General and the Woman Pharaoh      93

Amenhotep and King Tut                              97

Ch. 14: The Israelites Leave Egypt

Baby Moses                                                    103

The Exodus From Egypt                                106

Ancient Greece Unit Study

Ch. 18: Life In Early Crete

Bull Jumpers and Sailors    128

King Minos and the Minotaur  131

The Mysterious End of the Minoans 135

Ch. 19: The Early Greeks

The Mycenaeans    137

The Greek Dark Ages   138

Ch. 20: Greece Gets Civilized Again

Greece Gets and Alphabet     142

The Stories of Homer        145

The First Olympic Games  152

Ch. 22: Sparta and Athens

Life in Sparta      162

Life in Athens     165

Ch. 23: The Greek Gods

The Golden Apple         169

Ch. 24: The Wars of the Greeks

GreeceĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s War with Persia      173

The Greeks Fight Each Other    176

Ch:25 Alexander the Great

Philip and His Son    180

AlexanderĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Invasions   183

The Death of Alexander  185

Ancient China Unit Study

Ch. 10: The Far East: Ancient China

Lei Zu and the Silkworm                66

The Pictograms of Ancient China   70

Farming in Ancient China                 73

Ch. 32: China: Writing and the Qin

Calligraphy in China         239

Warring States         243

The First Emperor & The Great Wall    244

The First EmperorĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Grave               248

Ch. 33: Confucius

ChinaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Wise Teacher                    251

Ancient India Unit Study

Ch. 9: The First Cities of India

The River Road               59

They Mystery of Mohenjo-Daro   62

Ch. 30 The Aryans of India

Life on the Ganges River    222

The Castes of Ancient India    226

Siddhartha            228

Ch. 31: The Mauryan Empire of India

The Empire United          233

The Jakata Tales    235

Ancient Americas Unit Study

Ch. 26: The People of the Americas

The Nazca Drawings      188

The Heads of the Olmecs  191

Rabbit Shoots the Sun  194

Ancient Rome Unit Study

Ch. 27: the Rise of Rome

Romulus and Remus   198

The Power of Rome  202

Ch. 28: The Roman Empire

The Roman Gods   205

The Roman Builders  208

The Roman Gladiators  210

Gladiator School   213

Ch. 29: RomeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s War With Carthage

The Punic Wars    217

Ch. 34: The Rise of Julius Caesar

Caesar is kidnapped                       254

The Consuls of Rome                    257

Caesar and the Senate               260

Ch. 35: Caesar the Hero

Caesar Fights the Celts       263

Caesar Crosses the Rubicon     265

Caesar and Cleopatra               268

The Death of Caesar                271

Ch. 36: The First Roman Prince

Augustus Caesar                  274

Ch. 37: The Beginning of Christianity

The Birth of Jesus                278

Jesus Crucified and Resurrected    281

Ch. 38: The End of the Ancient Jewish Nation

The Destruction of the Temple     285

Ch. 39: Rome and the Christians

Nero, the Evil Emperor       288

Christians in the Catacombs    291

The Emperor is a Christian!     293

Ch. 40: Rome Begins to Weaken

The British Rebellion 297

Rome Divided in Two    299

Ch. 41: The Attacking Barbarians

Attila the Hun        302

Stilicho, Roman and Barbarian  304

The Coming of the Visigoths   307

Ch. 42: The End of Rome

The Last Roman Emperor   310

The Gifts of Rome         312

• Like 15

A Child's History of the World by Hillyer is a book that covers prehistory to the fall of the USSR in 419 pages.  Some prefer that as a spine.  It's a more "bird's eye view" than SOTW is, but it hits the most important parts of world history in a very engaging, child friendly way.

• Like 3

Is the rearranging of the SOTW chapters in History Odyssey similar to this? To group all the chapters about a certain area together? When looking over the HO sample I could see the chapters were rearranged but didn't know why. It seemed dumb at the time, why read both SOTW and CHOW out of order? But maybe this is why?

The HO rearrange seemed odd to me as well, when I looked at it.  

Honestly, I don't understand how people are successfully rearranging at all.  In the past whenever we have tried to skip a chapter, it has referenced the chapter skipped almost immediately. Are you reading a bit ahead to avoid those lines? Do you just explain that you will be getting to that later? Do your children not notice?

Mine always do :/  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I don't have any curriculum suggestions, but I just wanted to chime in to say that we just finished our second year of SOTW and I don't love it, either! I adore Susan Wise Bauer and have several of her other books and I love her talks, etc., but I think SOTW is so...uninspiring for young kids. I wish the materials were more visual and beautiful. (All the coloring pages, etc. in the activity book are just so awful. I just really dislike the overall style of the illustrations, etc.) Like you, the best part of our history study this year was when my daughter went off on a weeks-long tangent to study Queen Elizabeth I. 

I am thinking I might go totally rogue next year (my girls will be in third and first grade) and just do something totally different for history. I'm even considering just doing interest-led stuff for the next two years and then returning to the classical history cycle with the ancients when my older daughter hits 5th grade. 

Anyway, not sure if any of my thoughts have been helpful, but I wanted to let you know you weren't the only one who isn't crazy about SOTW. (I want so badly to love it, but I just...don't.) 

• Like 1

Well, I would recommend that you could use HO without SOTW world, but I got slammed for doing so in another thread.  :confused1:  It worked well enough the first three years, but the fourth year leans heavily on SOTW (about half the lessons are solely based on SOTW) because Usborne doesn't focus on American history, for obvious reasons. We supplemented heavily with picture books, read-alouds, History Pockets (which are listed in HO), videos, etc.

You can see how we used it the first two years. Unfortunately, I have too many irons in the fire right now and my blog has not be updated with Early American content.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/search/label/Ancient%20History

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/search/label/Medieval%20Times

• Like 1

I don't have any curriculum suggestions, but I just wanted to chime in to say that we just finished our second year of SOTW and I don't love it, either! I adore Susan Wise Bauer and have several of her other books and I love her talks, etc., but I think SOTW is so...uninspiring for young kids. I wish the materials were more visual and beautiful. (All the coloring pages, etc. in the activity book are just so awful. I just really dislike the overall style of the illustrations, etc.) Like you, the best part of our history study this year was when my daughter went off on a weeks-long tangent to study Queen Elizabeth I.

I am thinking I might go totally rogue next year (my girls will be in third and first grade) and just do something totally different for history. I'm even considering just doing interest-led stuff for the next two years and then returning to the classical history cycle with the ancients when my older daughter hits 5th grade.

Anyway, not sure if any of my thoughts have been helpful, but I wanted to let you know you weren't the only one who isn't crazy about SOTW. (I want so badly to love it, but I just...don't.)

We are going to hold off on the history cycle and spend 3/4 in US history. My dd did mfw for k and 1st. They do a sort of "the world around us" for k and a brief intro to ancients in 1st followed by US history for 2nd for a mini cycle. We ended up taking our time with our history spine by adding in a lot of good books from their book basket and then doing projects inspired by that plus we did 2 6 week units on American Girls- Felicity & Kirstin.

We did the Welcome to their World books and got bios related to the time. Lots of fun but only got as far as Vikings - 1800. Anyhow we're having so much fun I think we'll do 1800's next year and 1900-present for 4th. Then we'll do a history cycle. I might throw in CHOW as a read aloud just to give the overview briefly. We are reading through The Bible Story right now. I feel like that gives them some overview to the ancients.

We are going to hold off on the history cycle and spend 3/4 in US history. My dd did mfw for k and 1st. They do a sort of "the world around us" for k and a brief intro to ancients in 1st followed by US history for 2nd for a mini cycle. We ended up taking our time with our history spine by adding in a lot of good books from their book basket and then doing projects inspired by that plus we did 2 6 week units on American Girls- Felicity & Kirstin.

We did the Welcome to their World books and got bios related to the time. Lots of fun but only got as far as Vikings - 1800. Anyhow we're having so much fun I think we'll do 1800's next year and 1900-present for 4th. Then we'll do a history cycle. I might throw in CHOW as a read aloud just to give the overview briefly. We are reading through The Bible Story right now. I feel like that gives them some overview to the ancients.

Thanks so much for this input! Your ideas sound amazing. It's funny you mention American Girl - my girls are crazy for the historical novels, and the associated history books ("Kit's World", etc.) are actually really great. I'm really tempted now to just do a delight-driven course like this for the next two years, focusing on US history like you've done, and pick up the classical history cycle in 5th. I think it would be so much fun and really get my girls into history, so they're all the more receptive to the classical cycle as they get older. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Thanks so much for this input! Your ideas sound amazing. It's funny you mention American Girl - my girls are crazy for the historical novels, and the associated history books ("Kit's World", etc.) are actually really great. I'm really tempted now to just do a delight-driven course like this for the next two years, focusing on US history like you've done, and pick up the classical history cycle in 5th. I think it would be so much fun and really get my girls into history, so they're all the more receptive to the classical cycle as they get older. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

There are 12 historic dolls with 6 books each. You can do 6 per year and get a 36 week school year for two years. I can recommend some sources. Portraits of American Girlhood is a 36 week curriculum based on the original 6 girls- Felicity, Josefina, Kirstin, Addy, Samantha, Kit, and Molly. The other 12 girls you can find resources online. Lots of free lap books and blogs on using the American girls dolls are online. Another source is the Prairie Primer. It's a one year curriculum based on the Little House books and is a unit study approach covering history in the 1800's. I have it but haven't used it yet but plan to do at least a couple of the books when we get there.
  • Like 1

KeriJ,

Have you used Year 1 (Modules 1-3) with an early elementary student?

If so, which resources did you keep?

We didn't actually use Year 1, but when I made out my plan for ancients, I was going to combine 1-3.  We did a complete year of module 4 though.  We did some of module 5, but I tweaked it so much, it probably didn't resemble it by the end. :)

ETA: I tend to just stick with the books listed for grades 1-6. I use CHOW for a family spine.  Books I have used and plan to use this fall are:  Boy of the Pyramids, The True Story of Noah's Ark, The Pharaoh's of Ancient Egypt, Archimedes, Galen, Jashub's Journal, City and Pyramid.

• Like 1

To condense SCM, turn each of the first 3 years into 1 term. The first 3 years are so stretched out because of all the Bible reading. Just skipping all the Bible reading and uber-Christian resources, will reduce the amount of reading significantly.

Year 1: SCM 1-3. 1 module per term. Term 1 Egypt. Term 2 Greece. Term 3 Rome.

Year 2: SCM 4

Year 3: SCM 5

Year 4: SCM 6

skipping the bible readings and uber-christian resources, is the rest of it relatively secular or is it all religion-heavy throughout? I really would like to use SCM but prefer a secular curriculum.

Well, I would recommend that you could use HO without SOTW world, but I got slammed for doing so in another thread.  :confused1:  It worked well enough the first three years, but the fourth year leans heavily on SOTW (about half the lessons are solely based on SOTW) because Usborne doesn't focus on American history, for obvious reasons. We supplemented heavily with picture books, read-alouds, History Pockets (which are listed in HO), videos, etc.

You can see how we used it the first two years. Unfortunately, I have too many irons in the fire right now and my blog has not be updated with Early American content.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/search/label/Ancient%20History

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/search/label/Medieval%20Times

Thank you for sharing your blog!! I love what you did with HO. We're going to be doing Medieval times next year and this is a huge help!

• Like 1

Sonlight cores would work too. We did core b and then just continued with Child's history of the world after that (core b only uses the first half of chow) and are doing focused work on certain sections that are interesting, like Vikings, medieval castles etc in more depth. Sonlight briefly covers other parts but tends to do focus on the major periods (Egyptians, Greeks, Romans).

So basically with chow and maybe usborne world history you can do what they do by having a well stocked library and getting extra resources for the most interesting bits.

My kid reads chow for fun. And he is not really into school work much.

• Like 1

We do SOTW but I found the Simply Charlotte Mason Stories of the Nations and Stories of America. I like the narrative form like SOTW but the stories appeal more to me and aren't trying to do so much. I have to use SOTW at our UMS but I also read the SCM stories because I enjoy them more (sorry). 

We do SOTW but I found the Simply Charlotte Mason Stories of the Nations and Stories of America. I like the narrative form like SOTW but the stories appeal more to me and aren't trying to do so much. I have to use SOTW at our UMS but I also read the SCM stories because I enjoy them more (sorry). 

Good to know, because I own Stories of the Nations but haven't used it yet.

Sonlight cores would work too. We did core b and then just continued with Child's history of the world after that (core b only uses the first half of chow) and are doing focused work on certain sections that are interesting, like Vikings, medieval castles etc in more depth. Sonlight briefly covers other parts but tends to do focus on the major periods (Egyptians, Greeks, Romans).

So basically with chow and maybe usborne world history you can do what they do by having a well stocked library and getting extra resources for the most interesting bits.

My kid reads chow for fun. And he is not really into school work much.

Thanks for posting this. I'm planning on using CHOW next year and I've been thinking that I'd really like to just do a chapter a week and add in history memory work or whatever reading we feel like. I was second-guessing myself but your post reassures me.

• Like 1

Uh - this is making me really second guess my decision to use SOTW 3 next year.  I have been noticing the jumping around in planning and have already been worried about it.  I am hoping that because dd is in grade 5 and already has done some history she'ss be able to make it fit together, but I still feel like it is kind of boring.

FWIW, up until grade 4 we did "stories" for history rather than following a chronological plan.  So a mix of things like 50 Famous Stories, OIS, mythology and regional fairly tales, nice things we found at the library, For grade 4 we used ACHOTW, reading a chapter a day and using a timeline, and we supplemented by doing British history, which had a fair bit of crossover, but we looked a lot at more social history things as well.  I feel like she go ta good sense of the history and she now says that it is her favorite subject.

I tend to agree that the jumping around regionally isn't great.  I think it is just a bit too much to build a scaffold of history on, even really for adults who are just learning history.  We've concentrated on the history of the west, with some little forays into other things hear and there, largely to give a little more context.  I feel like a good sense of European and North American history will put them in a good position to learn other histories later without being so overwhelmed.  I think this is really the strength of narrative history for children,  it feels like it makes sense, there is a logic to it.  When there are too many threads it begins to seem random.

• Like 1

Uh - this is making me really second guess my decision to use SOTW 3 next year.  I have been noticing the jumping around in planning and have already been worried about it.  I am hoping that because dd is in grade 5 and already has done some history she'ss be able to make it fit together, but I still feel like it is kind of boring.

FWIW, up until grade 4 we did "stories" for history rather than following a chronological plan.  So a mix of things like 50 Famous Stories, OIS, mythology and regional fairly tales, nice things we found at the library, For grade 4 we used ACHOTW, reading a chapter a day and using a timeline, and we supplemented by doing British history, which had a fair bit of crossover, but we looked a lot at more social history things as well.  I feel like she go ta good sense of the history and she now says that it is her favorite subject.

I tend to agree that the jumping around regionally isn't great.  I think it is just a bit too much to build a scaffold of history on, even really for adults who are just learning history.  We've concentrated on the history of the west, with some little forays into other things hear and there, largely to give a little more context.  I feel like a good sense of European and North American history will put them in a good position to learn other histories later without being so overwhelmed.  I think this is really the strength of narrative history for children,  it feels like it makes sense, there is a logic to it.  When there are too many threads it begins to seem random.

I would like to hear more about these early years resources since that is what I'm trying to plan.  As discussed on the AO history thread my plan for Y1 is AO, but worry that I should be doing more with Ancients since that is the majority of WTM talk.  I have SOTW 1 and the supplemental resources.  Did you study OT history?  I may just wait and use SOTW as a supplement like Memoria Press does for summer reading and not include it as a spine.  I may just use the OT readings for mapwork.  

I would like to hear more about these early years resources since that is what I'm trying to plan.  As discussed on the AO history thread my plan for Y1 is AO, but worry that I should be doing more with Ancients since that is the majority of WTM talk.  I have SOTW 1 and the supplemental resources.  Did you study OT history?  I may just wait and use SOTW as a supplement like Memoria Press does for summer reading and not include it as a spine.  I may just use the OT readings for mapwork.  

We have mostly used SOTW as something to listen to on car rides. We only have vol. 1 and I don't know if we've ever listened to all of it. Since they've enjoyed it, I almost feel bad turning into work.

Dd has had several early American coop classes. We supplemented those at home with books from the Childhood of Early Americans series and the relevant D'Aulaire biographies. Last year we read through A Child's Study of Famous Americans. We never got around to Eggleston's Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans. You can download for free.

We read some children's biographies of figures in world history that we got free on the Kindle. I remember there were things by James Baldwin.

We have mostly used SOTW as something to listen to on car rides. We only have vol. 1 and I don't know if we've ever listened to all of it. Since they've enjoyed it, I almost feel bad turning into work.

After all I said earlier, someone gave us a copy of SOTW audio, and we started listening to it in the car today.  Every time I tried to turn it off, my youngers kept asking me to turn it back on.  So I think we'll listen to it throughout the summer and read supplemental books from SCM and BF during the school year.

• Like 3

I have a few differences with the WTM method, and one of them is my feelings about child development.   I have reservations about the whole division of the trivium int stages anyway, but in so far as they are applicable, I think WTM begins the grammar stage too early - properly speaking I think it should begin around age 8, or seven if you are early.  Something like age 5 to 6 or 7 I would consider a sort of pre-school period that involves learning to read, the physical mechanics of writing, arithmetic, and lots and lots of stories.

As far as history stories, I think you could probably loosely group them by period, if you wanted, but that is almost as much for the enjoyment and ease of the reader as for the child.  Children that age aren't so concerned with timelines or chronological history, or the difference between myths and historical tales and straight history - they just remember the story and the people in it.  I wouldn't make a point of studying OT history either - I would just read selected stories and explain anything necessary to understand them before the reading, and I would choose on of the gospels to read in full, probably Mark for the first year. 

I might not do much mapwork for year 1 at all, it would depend on the age of the child, in my experience small kids have a very very poor grasp of the kinds of distances and such that the maps represent. 

I would concentrate on geography around my home that the child can experience herself, maybe even drawing a rout that she followed on a walk.  Paddle to the Sea is a nice bridge in that they are following a connected narrative along with the map, but I still found doing it that my elder daughter in yr 3 who had read it in year 1 got more out of looking on when her sister did it, as far as the map work went.  And it helped that they had actually been to the locks on that river and others so they could connect it to places they knew.

There is nothing wrong with SOTW if you think they will enjoy it, it might even be more successful used that way.  We keep OIS in the car and it is very popular.  The workbooks and questions that go with SOTW are really not really CM-friendly in any case and probably wouldn't be used even with an older child.

• Like 3