Menu

I'm a crazy magnet lately!

Mimm

I was in Joanne's the other day and I got a text. My text sound is that DUN DUN DUN! sound from The Croods and this little boy heard my phone go off (once) and said, "What was that?" His father turned and saw me on my phone and said in this really snotty tone of voice, "I bet she got a text message. SOME people don't keep their phones on silent." I almost laughed out loud. Wanted to say, "Yeah, that's right jerk, I'm not at a funeral here, so you'll have to get over it."

Then today! I moved my cart out of the way so it was kind of angled in the middle of the aisle at walmart and thus was in the way of someone else. She was buying stuff down the aisle and she came up to me. I saw her coming but didn't realize my cart would be in her way so I didn't move it as she walked up. She didn't pause, didn't look at me, didn't say a word, just raised her voice and said, "What the hell?!? Why are people always in my way, it's so RUDE! I can't believe how inconsiderate people are, don't they know any better!" I immediately pulled the cart out of her way but she continued to rant as she passed me and went into the next aisle were I could still hear her yelling about it. At no point did she look at me or address me. I just stood there with my mouth hanging open.

Then when I was leaving, I was pushing my cart right next to my van through an empty parking spot and again was in someone's way (I know, SHAME on me!) so she wasn't immediately able to pull in (I didn't see her car till I was already in the way). I could see her griping and gesturing. I just raised my eyebrows at her as she got out of the car. She at least apologized though.

Post holiday blues? Cabin fever from the cold weather? Or maybe I'm just this really obnoxious, in the way, phone going off all the time person who cluelessly wanders through life annoying everyone with the misfortune to cross my path. ;)

Am I the only one coming into contact with angrier people than is usual?

Nope, not the only one.  We did a bottle drive today for scouts.  And as we were going through a housing complex we ran into the guy who apparently considers the bottles in this complex HIS turf.  He bikes *all the way* from *the other side of the city!!!*  And we'd cost him over $30!  And we didn't send out flyers ahead of time, so it was causing a lot of ANGER and SUSPICION in the complex (er...not that we'd encountered.  Until we met him.   :huh: )

I thought this thread was going to be about magnets :lol: .

Same here.  I was wondering if I were going to have to go count ours to see where we stack up.  Every time we travel we buy a magnet if they have one (it saves us from buying anything else, so is a money saver).  We really need a second fridge now... and with your post I'll know NOT to get stainless.  I never liked stainless anyway as, to me, it looks too institutional, but now I have a second reason if we end up looking at them!  ;)

Regarding the OP's scenarios, I'd wonder just how old some of these people are.  I know when we go out with my MIL (Alzheimers) she has no filter and is easily set off.  It can be very embarrassing.  It's given me a whole different view of people - both those without normal filters and those who can respond to them kindly.  In any event, I wouldn't take them personally since you weren't intentionally doing any of them.

Contagious and getting worse. My son, dog and I were recently blessed out by a driver who backed up in the middle of the street, nearly running over us as we crossed the street behind her. Really, Lady? You are angry at ME when you are the one backing up in the middle of the street??

Well I get a bit annoyed when people leave their carts in the middle of the aisle but I just smile and take it upon myself to move it for them. Usually they apologize and we go our separate ways. One lady flipped out on me for touching her cart. I simply replied," I said excuse me, you didn't hear me, so I fixed the issue myself so as not to disturb you." She went on and on about how she didn't need to move, I was being impatient, etc. She even followed me into the next aisle when I chose to ignore her rant. The manager was in the next aisle and heard everything. He asked if all was well. My reply, " I'm fine, just finishing my shopping." She went on to him about how rude I was and how I should be asked to leave the store. When she wouldn't leave it alone he asked her to leave the store.

The post about living in an angry society hits home. As I walked around the lake this morning, no one actually smiled when I said "hello." They all looked like they were slightly irritated at having to greet someone. I wasn't pushy about it either, just a friendly smile and polite greeting.

I think we live in an angry society.  And it's contagious.

I think we are living in an inconsiderate society.  I was taught, and teach my children, to be aware and considerate of others when I'm out in public.  This especially applies to shopping - if a kid is pushing the carriage they learn to keep it off to the side of the aisle so as not to inconvenience others, and also to be aware of someone who is trying to look at a shelf where the cart is, and also not to stand in the way of someone who is trying to look at the shelf, holding doors for the person behind us, and saying "excuse me" when forced to pass between them and what they are looking at.  Same with the parking lots - we don't walk in the middle of the road where someone wants to drive, we don't keep all our doors open when someone is trying to park (this happened to me yesterday - person had all of their doors open and their cart in the middle of the empty space while they loaded the car on a very busy Saturday in a packed parking lot & I was trying to park in that empty space and had my directional on to turn into it), we make sure our doors don't fly open in the breeze to bang into someone else's car, etc.  Now that cell phones are the norm, it may make sense to not disturb others' shopping experiences with a loud ring tone or shouting into a phone in the middle of the store, but I can imagine that talking quietly into the phone at the same voice level I might use with a companion present-in-person should not be obtrusive.

Of course some people are downright crazy, like the guy collecting bottles presented above, but taking care to be observant and considerate of others, even trying to anticipate others' needs with regards to our behaviors in a crowded public place, would make experiences of public interaction so much more peaceful and pleasant.  Spending all of our time with our noses in our phones keeps us from living and observing the physical reality around us, including our neighbors.

Well I get a bit annoyed when people leave their carts in the middle of the aisle but I just smile and take it upon myself to move it for them. Usually they apologize and we go our separate ways. One lady flipped out on me for touching her cart. I simply replied," I said excuse me, you didn't hear me, so I fixed the issue myself so as not to disturb you." She went on and on about how she didn't need to move, I was being impatient, etc. She even followed me into the next aisle when I chose to ignore her rant. The manager was in the next aisle and heard everything. He asked if all was well. My reply, " I'm fine, just finishing my shopping." She went on to him about how rude I was and how I should be asked to leave the store. When she wouldn't leave it alone he asked her to leave the store.

Well sure it's annoying when people are in our way. But how is the appropriate response not, "Excuse me?" That's how normal people behave, at least I thought. :)

Really, I'm not worked up about all, I actually find it kind of humorous that I seem to be annoying people so much as I go about my business.

I think we are living in an inconsiderate society.  I was taught, and teach my children, to be aware and considerate of others when I'm out in public.  This especially applies to shopping - if a kid is pushing the carriage they learn to keep it off to the side of the aisle so as not to inconvenience others, and also to be aware of someone who is trying to look at a shelf where the cart is, and also not to stand in the way of someone who is trying to look at the shelf, holding doors for the person behind us, and saying "excuse me" when forced to pass between them and what they are looking at.  Same with the parking lots - we don't walk in the middle of the road where someone wants to drive, we don't keep all our doors open when someone is trying to park (this happened to me yesterday - person had all of their doors open and their cart in the middle of the empty space while they loaded the car on a very busy Saturday in a packed parking lot & I was trying to park in that empty space and had my directional on to turn into it), we make sure our doors don't fly open in the breeze to bang into someone else's car, etc.  Now that cell phones are the norm, it may make sense to not disturb others' shopping experiences with a loud ring tone or shouting into a phone in the middle of the store, but I can imagine that talking quietly into the phone at the same voice level I might use with a companion present-in-person should not be obtrusive.

Of course some people are downright crazy, like the guy collecting bottles presented above, but taking care to be observant and considerate of others, even trying to anticipate others' needs with regards to our behaviors in a crowded public place, would make experiences of public interaction so much more peaceful and pleasant.  Spending all of our time with our noses in our phones keeps us from living and observing the physical reality around us, including our neighbors.

Well apparently you're one of those people I would annoy. Hope we don't run into each other. ;) I generally try to keep out of people's way and am polite to people in public and had she simply said, "Excuse me?" I would have responded, "Oh, I'm sorry!" My cart was angled the way it was specifically because I was getting out of someone's way and hadn't noticed that there wasn't quite enough room to get around it on the other side. I seriously only needed to move it a few inches to be out of the way. Shrug. It clearly disturbed her a great deal, but frankly, I think she was a lunatic.

I am not seeing the angry, but I am seeing the lack of manners. I shop at less popular times now. I can finish in half the time if I dont have to run the obstacle course of people who block the aisle with their cart or members of their family. And let me not start on the people who think excuse me means gtfoomw....if I am putting things in my cart and one of those people comes up and starts pushing so they can take their items while I wait, I wont be treating them like the royalty they want to be treated like.

The weirdest incident I have had was in sears a few years ago. I was looking at sneakers on a shelf in the middle of a main aisle. No one was near me, the store was almost empty. A woman just had to go between me and the sneakers, despite the other side of the aisle being totally clear for the entire length of the store and the aisle behind me having room for her passage. All I can think of is that she needed to touch me, but it was icky.

The funniest this year was one of the gtfoomw people, who came to realize all the people in the grocery aisle around her were laughing at her. Several were mouthing 'idiot'. She didnt know which way to flop, as no one was bowing down to her majesty.

This made me laugh. Last summer I took my kids and my 6 year old nephew to the pool. I was standing in the water next to my daughter chatting when my nephew walks up and says, "excuse me" and goes between us. We weren't paying attention and just moved out of his way, continuing our conversation. It didn't register till about the third time he did it that there was absolutely no one around us in this huge wide open pool and he could easily have gone around us and he was just trying to mess with us. ;)

The post about living in an angry society hits home. As I walked around the lake this morning, no one actually smiled when I said "hello." They all looked like they were slightly irritated at having to greet someone. I wasn't pushy about it either, just a friendly smile and polite greeting.

Your username and this post :lol: Incongruent.

Then today! I moved my cart out of the way so it was kind of angled in the middle of the aisle at walmart and thus was in the way of someone else. She was buying stuff down the aisle and she came up to me. I saw her coming but didn't realize my cart would be in her way so I didn't move it as she walked up. She didn't pause, didn't look at me, didn't say a word, just raised her voice and said, "What the hell?!? Why are people always in my way, it's so RUDE! I can't believe how inconsiderate people are, don't they know any better!" I immediately pulled the cart out of her way but she continued to rant as she passed me and went into the next aisle were I could still hear her yelling about it. At no point did she look at me or address me. I just stood there with my mouth hanging open.

Things like this are so ironic.  She was rudely yelling at you for being rude!  I guess she thought her rudeness was justified, but yours wasn't?  Nah, she probably didn't even think about it at all.

Sounds like she needs one of the prerecorded behavior lectures I use on my boys.  That would be button number 3.   :D

I wonder if she's related to the lady who was berating my ds for putting the wrong amount of ice into his convenience store soda cup!

Most of the annoying people mentioned on this thread are either behaving in a self-centered way, or believe they are societal "police" of some sort. I run into some of them in the restaurant, although most of them are not customers, they come in to use the bathroom and tell me its not good enough, or tell me the gas station next door is not good enough, ect. I have only had two problem customers and one was an evil nutty narcissist, although she made a huge production out of praying for her meal before behaving like a psycho. It was finally my pleasure to tell her husband as he paid his bill to never come back, because I now do not have to be nice to phony Christians. If you want to be a Pharisee, do it in someone else's establishment, TYVM. I can't stand people who act like Christians and then behave like that, people who don't know God think these people represent real Christians. One of my waitresses had been waiting on her for years in another restaurant and had all sorts of stories to tell about this woman, so it was not a one time occurrence. 

The other problem customer told me that her Ruben sandwich was horrible and that we had real problems in our kitchen and we shouldn't be serving old, crusty bread. When she made the old crusty bread comment I told her that I personally baked that bread yesterday, and that every day people tell us that is the best Ruben they ever, ever had. She was a nut who wanted to put someone in their place, and I was the person in front of her. We grill the bread for all our hot sandwiches. YUM. But I double checked every other Ruben that went out for days. And of course everyone else said their Ruben was amazing, lol.