Menu

Crafters -- Jan 2015

Cinder

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided against trying to whip up a pair of Fuzzy Feet after all, and switched to  Non-Felted Slippers http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/non-felted-slippers.  I used some chunky yarn I had -- acrylic-wool blend that I don't recall the original purpose of buying.  I vaguely remember that someone used this yarn for something, then I saved the rest of it in case it came in handy some day.  So it was a virtually free project

Wow, what a quick knit!  I highly recommend this pattern if you decide you need new slippers during a cold spell.  So much faster than Fuzzy Feet, and uses much less yarn

I decided against trying to whip up a pair of Fuzzy Feet after all, and switched to  Non-Felted Slippers http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/non-felted-slippers.  I used some chunky yarn I had -- acrylic-wool blend that I don't recall the original purpose of buying.  I vaguely remember that someone used this yarn for something, then I saved the rest of it in case it came in handy some day.  So it was a virtually free project

Wow, what a quick knit!  I highly recommend this pattern if you decide you need new slippers during a cold spell.  So much faster than Fuzzy Feet, and uses much less yarn

Thanks for the pattern recommendation--looks good! I already had that as a Favorite but hadn't thought about it. How does the acrylic-wool blend feel? Early in my sock knitting adventure I made a pair with Wool-ease. They made my feet feel cold. And they wore holes in the heels within a few months. We do have carpeted floors and that's supposed to be bad for socks but my wool-nylon socks haven't done that. OTOH I have some Wool-ease that I could use for this just to try the pattern. That yarn was originally meant to be a blanket but I recently realized that I was never going to make that blanket. If I wear regular wool socks inside the slippers that might work ok for me.

I'm eight days into a a Sky Scarf and a a Dance Scarf. For the sky Scarf, I just knit two rows each day in the color of the sky. A lot of gray and white lately. For the dance scarf, I knit purple on days I have glass, gray on days I don't, and a sequined black for performance days.

I think I'm ready to cast on my very first sweater. I think. Maybe. Everyone tells me that sweaters are easier than socks, and I love to knit socks, so I can do this, right? I have Ann Budd's "Handy Top-Down Sweaters." I have a huge bin of handspun Shetland (wool, not sheepdog, though I have some of that too!) Now I just have to decide which style to make.

Thanks for the pattern recommendation--looks good! I already had that as a Favorite but hadn't thought about it. How does the acrylic-wool blend feel? Early in my sock knitting adventure I made a pair with Wool-ease. They made my feet feel cold. And they wore holes in the heels within a few months. We do have carpeted floors and that's supposed to be bad for socks but my wool-nylon socks haven't done that. OTOH I have some Wool-ease that I could use for this just to try the pattern. That yarn was originally meant to be a blanket but I recently realized that I was never going to make that blanket. If I wear regular wool socks inside the slippers that might work ok for me.

I always wear my slippers over cotton socks since wool makes me itch.  So the acrylic-wool blend is fine for me, and is warm enough for St. Louis temps this winter (hasn't been under 0F in actual air temp).  The slippers were plenty toasty for the past few days. We rarely wear shoes in the house, so slippers are pretty much full time in cold weather.  

We have almost all wooden floors, so they theoretically will hold up okay.  However, the last pair of Fuzzy Feet I made (last winter) wore holes almost instantly in spite of the wooden floors, which was less than charming considering how long they take to knit.  

I figure these took about 2 days to knit, part of which was while waiting for an oil change and other activities where you'd go crazy without something to do. Plus they were free.  If they only last the next couple of months I'll still feel okay about it, unlike the Fuzzy Feet.  Heck, I've even worn them to take out the trash and get the newspaper, that's how much I'm okay with abusing them.

I'm eight days into a a Sky Scarf and a a Dance Scarf. For the sky Scarf, I just knit two rows each day in the color of the sky. A lot of gray and white lately. For the dance scarf, I knit purple on days I have glass, gray on days I don't, and a sequined black for performance days.

What fun ideas!

okay this is my favorite post in this thread so far.  Now you are giving me IDEAS, :(

I have already raised chickens and plan to try quail this year.  How much harder are rabbits?

Bunnies are a blast. You have to watch the heat a bit, but frozen 2 liters and good grooming habit go along ways. There are quite a few angora clubs down your way. :)

Then up is a paper pieced mariner's compass round tabletopper.  I estimate that will take me all spring to finish!

Are you using Judy Niemeyer's pattern for this? She has some beautiful patterns. I took an introductory class and it was really good, but I'm working on a Dear Jane quilt right now, so I don't have time to delve any deeper into her patterns. I hope to once Jane is finished, but that won't be until next year. 

In November I decided to change the color way that I was using for my Dear Jane quilt, which means that I had to start all over. I had sixty blocks done in the old color way, so I am in the process of repeating them. The club I'm in is on blocks 130-140 right now, so I'm really behind! I have completed about 45 blocks in the new color way. I am going to try to do at least one block per day so that I can get caught up by summer. Each block takes about two hours to complete. I'm really glad that I chose a new color way though. The one I started first was really dark and I couldn't imagine actually using it. Now I am using the Horizons line of fabrics designed by Kate Spain. 

I am in another block of the month club and we are doing a sampler quilt designed by Amanda Murphy and we are using her Topiary fabrics. I am excited about this one. I will be learning a lot of new techniques. I can't wait to get to the Dresden plate block. I've been wanting to learn how to do that for a long time. 

I have a quilt top & backing finished for a quilt for one of my sisters. I need to sit down and quilt it soon. I just have to decide how to do it. 

This year I want to branch out a little bit and do some small sewing projects. I made a large tote bag recently and I think I'm going to make a couple of small purses. I want to try my hand at making slippers, too. Of course, there are the dozens of small projects I've seen on Pinterest that look like a lot of fun! 

In November I decided to change the color way that I was using for my Dear Jane quilt, which means that I had to start all over. I had sixty blocks done in the old color way, so I am in the process of repeating them. The club I'm in is on blocks 130-140 right now, so I'm really behind! I have completed about 45 blocks in the new color way. I am going to try to do at least one block per day so that I can get caught up by summer. Each block takes about two hours to complete. I'm really glad that I chose a new color way though. The one I started first was really dark and I couldn't imagine actually using it. Now I am using the Horizons line of fabrics designed by Kate Spain. 

I am in another block of the month club and we are doing a sampler quilt designed by Amanda Murphy and we are using her Topiary fabrics. I am excited about this one. I will be learning a lot of new techniques. I can't wait to get to the Dresden plate block. I've been wanting to learn how to do that for a long time. 

I have a quilt top & backing finished for a quilt for one of my sisters. I need to sit down and quilt it soon. I just have to decide how to do it. 

This year I want to branch out a little bit and do some small sewing projects. I made a large tote bag recently and I think I'm going to make a couple of small purses. I want to try my hand at making slippers, too. Of course, there are the dozens of small projects I've seen on Pinterest that look like a lot of fun! 

I would LOVE to see some pics of the Dear Jane blocks you're doing in the Horizons line. I love that!  Looked up the Amanda Murphy Topiary line and I like that also. I need to branch out- I am really drawn to reproductions and old looking fabrics because our house was built in 1880 and those colors fit nicely in my rooms. But we're not ALWAYS going to live in an old house and I'm trying to branch out. 

I'm also doing some small projects, because like you, doing blocks that take 2+ hours each is fun but sometimes I need a break. 

The pattern I'm using for the table runner is actually a Jinny Beyer design.  The grandkids are arriving tomorrow for a week long visit so I won't be starting that difficult project until they leave!

I finished our grandson's Spiderman quilt yesterday.  His first big boy quilt!   

I did some quilling last weekend!  This is a wedding invitation, reception card, and one of the couple's engagement photos, with my quilling around the invitation.  I like how it turned out. :)

IMG_6380.JPG

I put the quilling papers away and am back to working on my Settlers of Catan quilt now!

I did some quilling last weekend!  This is a wedding invitation, reception card, and one of the couple's engagement photos, with my quilling around the invitation.  I like how it turned out. :)

I put the quilling papers away and am back to working on my Settlers of Catan quilt now!

Very pretty! 

I can't wait to see what a Settlers quilt looks like, you must post a pic when you are done! 

I would LOVE to see some pics of the Dear Jane blocks you're doing in the Horizons line. I love that!  Looked up the Amanda Murphy Topiary line and I like that also. I need to branch out- I am really drawn to reproductions and old looking fabrics because our house was built in 1880 and those colors fit nicely in my rooms. But we're not ALWAYS going to live in an old house and I'm trying to branch out. 

It's funny  you mention the older looking fabrics! One of the lines I considered for Dear Jane is Lexington. I was drawn to the blue & white. I opened up a fat quarter bundle and when the gold/tan color is thrown in there, it looks way too "old-fashioned" for me! 

I have not been able to attach pictures to my posts, but here is a link to my flickr album with my Dear Jane efforts. I'm behind on adding blocks to it, I'll try to catch up this week. 

Very pretty! 

I can't wait to see what a Settlers quilt looks like, you must post a pic when you are done! 

When I finish it in 20 years, I'll show you!  :lol: Actually, I have the project mentally divided into phases, and I just finished a phase so I'm feeling much more optimistic about getting it done.  I'm doing the prep work for the next phase now (putting hexagons on paper pieces so I can sew them together).

Your Dear Jane blocks look great!  What size are they?  (All I know about Dear Jane is that it's a zillion different blocks.)

I'm currently knitting . . . another pair of socks. But this one is different. For one, it's for me! Second, I'm test-driving the Karbonz needles Bug's Mom recommended. And I like them! Third, I'm trying a new heel pattern--Fish Lips Kiss Heel--which has short rows but different than typical short rows. I usually avoid short-row heels because I have so much trouble with them. They usually turn out bad and/or don't fit right so I just stick with the old heel flap and gusset. But these are turning out well so far. I hope they fit well too.

I admire those of you who knit. I've tried several times- both to knit and crochet. In September my sister gave it one last shot and tried to teach me to crochet a dishrag. I am SO high strung that I just can get my stitches to be loose enough.  I don't know why that is, but I start out kind of ok...dishrag was supposed to be 12 inches but mine was 9. By the end, I was down to about 6  inches and it was TIGHT. It's just not a skill I am meant to master. 

Quilting suits me well.  But I still wish I could knit or crochet even a little bit. 

I admire those of you who knit. I've tried several times- both to knit and crochet. In September my sister gave it one last shot and tried to teach me to crochet a dishrag. I am SO high strung that I just can get my stitches to be loose enough. I don't know why that is, but I start out kind of ok...dishrag was supposed to be 12 inches but mine was 9. By the end, I was down to about 6 inches and it was TIGHT. It's just not a skill I am meant to master.

Quilting suits me well. But I still wish I could knit or crochet even a little bit.

This does NOT at all mean you can't crochet and be very good at it. It is actually a very common thing for beginners of both knitting and crochet to have extremely too tight stitches. It goes away on its own as you crochet or knit more. So if you don't want to practice, then of course don't, but if you do, I promise each project will get better and easier.

I'm currently knitting . . . another pair of socks. But this one is different. For one, it's for me! Second, I'm test-driving the Karbonz needles Bug's Mom recommended. And I like them! Third, I'm trying a new heel pattern--Fish Lips Kiss Heel--which has short rows but different than typical short rows. I usually avoid short-row heels because I have so much trouble with them. They usually turn out bad and/or don't fit right so I just stick with the old heel flap and gusset. But these are turning out well so far. I hope they fit well too.

:lol: I love the name of this pattern!

This does NOT at all mean you can't crochet and be very good at it. It is actually a very common thing for beginners of both knitting and crochet to have extremely too tight stitches. It goes away on its own as you crochet or knit more. So if you don't want to practice, then of course don't, but if you do, I promise each project will get better and easier.

Thanks for the encouragement! I took a class years ago and the instructor kept using me as an example of what not to do. Ok, lady, I get it...my stitches are too tight. You don't have to point that out to the class EVERY TIME. I was the only one who seemed to have that problem so it's nice to hear it's just just me. 

I crocheted a baby afghan for my nephew years ago and my stitches were so tight- it took a LOT of yarn and it was VERY heavy, even for a baby blanket.  Maybe I should keep trying, especially since my granddaughters are getting old enough to want to learn such things. 

I'm knitting away, and finding it very soothing. 

Most recently I finished a hat for my nephew. I used Elizabeth Zimmermann's pattern for a reversible hat ('a very warm hat' I think she calls it) and added a wave pattern from Tricksy Knitter. I should wash and block it (a challenge...I haven't bothered with that yet) and then mail it out. 

This week I'll see if I can make this creepy facemask for my older DS...he's into creepy and he has a birthday in a few days. After that I'll throw together some Bofur Dwarven Mitts for my soon-to-be 12 year old (bday Friday..what a week).  

I admire those of you who knit. I've tried several times- both to knit and crochet. In September my sister gave it one last shot and tried to teach me to crochet a dishrag. I am SO high strung that I just can get my stitches to be loose enough.  I don't know why that is, but I start out kind of ok...dishrag was supposed to be 12 inches but mine was 9. By the end, I was down to about 6  inches and it was TIGHT. It's just not a skill I am meant to master. 

Quilting suits me well.  But I still wish I could knit or crochet even a little bit. 

Agreeing with Martha! The first "real" project I tried was a basket--crochet squares and stitch together. Much like a dishcloth. My first square was a trapezoid! lol. I never finished that basket but I did learn eventually to stitch more evenly. It took me longer than is took ds1. His first project--a beanie--was baby sized. He ripped it out and tried again. He actually did much better on only his second try and made himself a hat that fit!

Knitting and crochet isn't for everyone but if you really want to put in the effort I think it will get easier as you go along.

I admire those of you who knit. I've tried several times- both to knit and crochet. In September my sister gave it one last shot and tried to teach me to crochet a dishrag. I am SO high strung that I just can get my stitches to be loose enough. I don't know why that is, but I start out kind of ok...dishrag was supposed to be 12 inches but mine was 9. By the end, I was down to about 6 inches and it was TIGHT. It's just not a skill I am meant to master.

Quilting suits me well. But I still wish I could knit or crochet even a little bit.

I just learned to knit is September. So far so good. I attempted crocheting. "It's easier!" they all said. Holding tension in my left hand is completely beyond me. I seem to have the coordination of a toddler in my left hand :-/

Thanks for the encouragement! I took a class years ago and the instructor kept using me as an example of what not to do. Ok, lady, I get it...my stitches are too tight. You don't have to point that out to the class EVERY TIME. I was the only one who seemed to have that problem so it's nice to hear it's just just me.

I crocheted a baby afghan for my nephew years ago and my stitches were so tight- it took a LOT of yarn and it was VERY heavy, even for a baby blanket. Maybe I should keep trying, especially since my granddaughters are getting old enough to want to learn such things.

I don't know why the teacher picked on you, but I guarantee you were not the only one. I've never met anyone who didn't start with tight stitches. I'm sure they exist, but they aren't the norm for beginners.

If you enjoy it, keep at it!

Purpleowl, I'm using a paper pieced pattern that uses Jinny Beyer batiks.     My sister did a mariner's compass quilt using paper piecing also.  Not sure I have the skill to make it any other way.  I've done a fair amount of paper piecing but this is still going to be quite the challenge!

This is the kit I'm doing- I'm doing the color on the right. 

http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/migration-table-topper-quilt-kit/6886

No way would I attempt this without paper.  It's quite a challenge! 

And now that I look at it, it's not really a mariner's compass. But close enough for me.  I'm committed now!

Those are beautiful!

I quilt, but can never do anything as fancy as I want. Last time I tried a queen sized Storm at Sea and @#$#@ it up so badly. Ruined a lot of beautiful batik fabric; it makes me sick to think about it.

I haven't done a bed sized quilt since.

I've looked at paper piecing, but couldn't figure it out from the book I read. I'm going to have to watch some youtube videos on it to figure it out.

Your Dear Jane blocks look great!  What size are they?  (All I know about Dear Jane is that it's a zillion different blocks.)

The blocks are 4.5" square and will be 4" when they are sewn into the quilt top. The border rows and corner pieces are bigger, but not by much. Jane has 225 unique blocks. I had no idea what I was getting into when I signed up for this club, but it's been a lot of fun. I had never even paper pieced when I signed up, so I have learned quite a bit. 

I did a small rubberstamping craft. I was in a swap with other rubber stampers. We each made 12 (of the same type )small squares and exchanged them. Here are some examples of what they look like. These aren't mine but this is the technique. I'll get 12 different squares back and put them all together in a frame.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stampin+up+winter+sampler&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=h7G1VNqqBYyyggTb24O4BA&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

That looks cool! So what was your theme for this project?

It was "winter but not Christmas." So snow, snowflakes, mittens, etc. anything winter-y but no Nativity or Santa or presents, etc.

We all used Stampin Up products and a limited number of colors so it coordinates nicely. The squares are all 2 inches so once you make your design, making 12 of them goes quickly.

You guys are making me want to learn to knit!

I'm out of town visiting family, so not working on anything right now, but I had an idea I'm excited to start after getting back. I want to blow my quails' eggs to keep the shells whole, sanitize them, and fill them with chocolate. Chocolate eggs for Easter with real, adorably speckled shells! I want to make little nests out of raffia for them, and add an empty egg shell to each nest with the chocolate ones. I can roll up a tiny piece of paper with a message about the tomb being empty on Easter morning to put inside the empty egg through the pin hole.

I don't know why the teacher picked on you, but I guarantee you were not the only one. I've never met anyone who didn't start with tight stitches. I'm sure they exist, but they aren't the norm for beginners.

If you enjoy it, keep at it!

I'm with the rest of them. Beginning out I had to always always go up a hook size or three to come close to the right size. I think a problem most beginners have is tugging the yarn as it comes off the hook thus rendering the hook sizes pretty much useless. Keep trying and forget that horrid teacher. That sounds like a good way to discourage anyone.

I learned to knit and crochet several times from my mother, but I seem to be particularly deficient when it comes to reproducing complex hand maneuvers so I always messed everything up or forgot what I needed to do. I have a hard time visualizing the work from multiple sides too. 

Uninterrupted time and Youtube does wonders. One week my youngest was sick so I was stuck in one spot with not much to do.  I spent a week just learning to cast on...no kidding. I would go back to the video after every trial. 

I kind of think if I can learn to knit almost anyone else can, but I certainly understand that not everyone else wants to learn. It's been very good for me. It's kind of zen, really, and it gives me a feeling of accomplishment that I need right now. 

I learned to knit and crochet several times from my mother, but I seem to be particularly deficient when it comes to reproducing complex hand maneuvers so I always messed everything up or forgot what I needed to do. I have a hard time visualizing the work from multiple sides too. 

Uninterrupted time and Youtube does wonders. One week my youngest was sick so I was stuck in one spot with not much to do.  I spent a week just learning to cast on...no kidding. I would go back to the video after every trial. 

I kind of think if I can learn to knit almost anyone else can, but I certainly understand that not everyone else wants to learn. It's been very good for me. It's kind of zen, really, and it gives me a feeling of accomplishment that I need right now. 

Precisely.

There are certain times while knitting when I have to think, but in general I see knitting as pattern making, a very comforting thing for my mathematical mind. 

Today I am finalizing my list of quilts I want to make for the fair. I also have a quilt I "owe" to a friends son. The son wants a Republican quilt, as his whole bedroom is decorated Republican. I have a REALLY great original idea for this, but I don't think I will enter it in the fair, because, I am not actually a Republican and do not want to make a political statement, lol. 

For the fair:

Western Chain double size quilt. There may be a pattern called Western Chain, but I am using my own chain variation.

Floral Log Cabin wall hanging. Last year my Radiant Splendor wall hanging won a blue ribbon, so I want to do something different.

Mini Star quilt, inspired by The Little Red Hen. Probably twin size.

String Quilt with Heather Ross Briar Rose fabric Probably crib size.

Castle quilt with the last of my Castle Peeps fabric. 

There are certain times while knitting when I have to think, but in general I see knitting as pattern making, a very comforting thing for my mathematical mind.

You know what they say: there's knitting for thinking and knitting for drinking. :thumbup1:

I'm test-driving the Karbonz needles Bug's Mom recommended. And I like them!

Yay! I don't think that I'll use anything else when I need small (0-2) needles. I tried a set in size 9. HEAVY! They're perfect for the smaller sizes though. I haven't bent or broken them yet. ;)  

Yay! I don't think that I'll use anything else when I need small (0-2) needles. I tried a set in size 9. HEAVY! They're perfect for the smaller sizes though. I haven't bent or broken them yet. ;)

I'm 3/4 done with the first sock and I really like the Karbonz. One needle has a slight catch at the join that causes a very slight drag but not terrible like with the bamboo needles. It's enough to notice but not enough to interfere with my knitting. Thanks for the recommendation. I might need more soon. :D

A friend from church (in her 70s) asked if there were any quilters willing to finish a quilt  her mother started in 1980 but never finished.  I volunteered.  It's a quilt top with sky blue and white alternating squares on point.  The white squares each have the name of a state, the date it joined the union and the state flower hand embroidered on it.  The embroidery is really impressive.  The piecing, not so much.  There seems to have been a problem with the tension on the sewing machine in most blocks so the stitches are irregular, mismatched and most are tiny with the thread piled up.  Some of the squares were hand based together.  No border and the edge pieces aren't there but there's a ton of extra sky blue fabric uncut. 

I mapped out what it looked like when I got and where each specific square was located relatives to the others so she gets it back in exactly the same configuration as she gave it to me. I'm currently taking all the pieces apart. It's tedious, but a quilt so beautifully embroidered needs to be assembled and quilted and in the hands of the original crafter's daughter.

I was working on disassembling some squares at homeschool PE class and another quilter said she'd seen a quilt just like it, but finished.  It seems this was probably a kit you could buy with all the fabric and embroidery floss and pattern included.

Precisely.

Me too exactly!  I also find sudoku soothing, filling all the little blocks with numbers :).  And geometric, like zendoodles, coloring books. 

I usually do one of those activities while talking on the phone or watching tv.  For some reason they help me focus better than empty hands. 

I was working on disassembling some squares at homeschool PE class and another quilter said she'd seen a quilt just like it, but finished.  It seems this was probably a kit you could buy with all the fabric and embroidery floss and pattern included.

My MIL has a quilt that sounds similar, as well! MIL's quilt is lovely, but was simply tied. It seems like with all the lovely embroidery, it probably should have been quilted properly, but... I'm not sure I could do it justice, so I at least won't do it a disservice.

I learned to arm knit recently, and ended up making five infinity scarves for my nieces and sister-in-laws during our trip to Wisconsin. It's awfully cold in Wisconsin this time of year!