Menu

If you like Sherlock, you would like....

OneStepAtATime

DD14 and I watched a couple of episodes of Sherlock and she really likes the show (I've seen them all but she hasn't).  She loves Doctor Who as well.  She was wondering if there is another show that might be good.  She has no interest in Downton Abbey.  We have Season 1 and never finished it.  I thought I would toss this out to the Hive....

Thanks everyone!  I actually love the British version of Being Human but it would not be a good fit for DD.   She's too young.  Some of the episodes are just too,  ....well, just too. At least for her.    :)   When she is older she might really like them.  I found them extremely well done.

I have not seen the American version.  I was just too attached to the British one to give it a go.  Any comment on the American one?  

We have the first two seasons of Merlin.  I had forgotten about those.  They liked them, but it was not something they ever requested.  Not sure why.  They actually really loved the older Robin Hood TV series with Michael Praed from maybe the 80's?  We have not watched the new one yet.

Love all the great suggestions everyone.  Thanks so much! 

This is my standard answer to all forum questions these days. Need a math program? Foyle's War. How would these boots look? Foyle's War.

Police detective in England during WW II. Love it.

ETA: It is on Netflix.

:lol:

DS loves history.  Would it be appropriate for your average 10 year old as well as  a 14 year old?

Firefly, most definitely! 

Psych, Warehouse 13, Eureka, and The Lost Room (which is a mini-series), Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog. 

Supernatural if she doesn't mind gory stuff (vert religious people may not like it either, but you can probably guess that by the name). 

These shows all tend to have that sly humor and witty dialogue that my teen girls love about Sherlock. 

If the smart-and-doesn't-fit-in aspect appeals, my girls also adored Numb3rs. The writing is not top-notch like Sherlock or Firefly, but it's good and does have interesting math concepts, lots of cute guys, and the full 6 seasons streamable on Netflix. The pilot episode is   one of the most disturbing ones, and we actually skipped it (with them) because they were a bit young and sensitive at the time. 

This is my standard answer to all forum questions these days. Need a math program? Foyle's War. How would these boots look? Foyle's War.

Police detective in England during WW II. Love it.

ETA: It is on Netflix.

Ha!  :)   It is my very favorite series.  I was so sad when it ended.

:lol:

DS loves history.  Would it be appropriate for your average 10 year old as well as  a 14 year old?

I believe it would.  From what I recall, there is never anything explicit.  No bedroom scenes, and not gory.  I think it would be fine.  And Foyle is a really good man who is honest and always decent.

Ha!  :)   It is my very favorite series.  I was so sad when it ended.

I love Foyle's War, too. Happily, I discovered George Gently (or Inspector George Gently) on Canadian Netflix. I'm not sure if the US version has it. It's a wonderful series, set in Northern England and filmed in Ireland. The books are great, too!

Midsomer Murders are pretty good, too, though a little more theatrical.

The Hour is good as well.  

If you ever watched Inspector Morse, then Inspector Lewis would probably be a good fit. 

For the OP, my dc don't watch any of these because of the content.

On a completely different topic than mysteries, Canadian Netflix has two seasons of Dogs with Jobs which are excellent! If your dd likes dogs and animals, this is a wonderful series.

Firefly, most definitely! 

Psych, Warehouse 13, Eureka, and The Lost Room (which is a mini-series), Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog. 

Supernatural if she doesn't mind gory stuff (vert religious people may not like it either, but you can probably guess that by the name). 

These shows all tend to have that sly humor and witty dialogue that my teen girls love about Sherlock. 

If the smart-and-doesn't-fit-in aspect appeals, my girls also adored Numb3rs. The writing is not top-notch like Sherlock or Firefly, but it's good and does have interesting math concepts, lots of cute guys, and the full 6 seasons streamable on Netflix. The pilot episode is   one of the most disturbing ones, and we actually skipped it (with them) because they were a bit young and sensitive at the time. 

Firefly rocks!  The kids have not seen all the episodes but they have seen most of them.  DH and I are huge fans after the fact.  We didn't find the series til the movie came out.  I mourn its cancellation after the fact....

Thanks for all the suggestions!  :)

My son is 14 and loves the same shows.  He adores Supernatural and The Walking Dead.

I think he would also love the BBC Being Human (a fantastic show!) but I haven't let him watch it yet, for the same reasons. He's not quite ready for R rated movies and shows.  Pretty soon though...he would love it...

Anway, he also likes Buffy, X-files and Xena and Adventure Time, Fry and Laurie, Blackadder, Faulty Towers, Father Ted

I love Foyle's War, too. Happily, I discovered George Gently (or Inspector George Gently) on Canadian Netflix. I'm not sure if the US version has it. It's a wonderful series, set in Northern England and filmed in Ireland. The books are great, too!

If you ever watched Inspector Morse, then Inspector Lewis would probably be a good fit. 

On a completely different topic than mysteries, Canadian Netflix has two seasons of Dogs with Jobs which are excellent! If your dd likes dogs and animals, this is a wonderful series.

Never heard of George Gently.  That sounds interesting!

The others look interesting, too.

I LOVE The Hour!!!  You are the only other person I have "met" who has even heard of it!!  The writers' strike ended it though, and on a cliffhanger even.  I'll have to check out George Gently -- thanks!

I just checked and the US Netflix has George Gently.  Does it get graphic?  Just wondering if I can recommend it to my parents.  If it's along the same lines as Foyle's War, then it should be fine.  I'm going to watch the first episode tonight!

I love Foyle's War, too. Happily, I discovered George Gently (or Inspector George Gently) on Canadian Netflix. I'm not sure if the US version has it. It's a wonderful series, set in Northern England and filmed in Ireland. 

They've moved the filming back to the North East - the last one I saw (I'm watching re-runs) was set in Durham Cathedral - no doubt about that location.

L

I just checked and the US Netflix has George Gently.  Does it get graphic?  Just wondering if I can recommend it to my parents.  If it's along the same lines as Foyle's War, then it should be fine.  I'm going to watch the first episode tonight!

I don't remember graphic violence in George Gently.  It does deal with some tough subjects, appropriate to the era - race, class, prostitution, gangs, drugs - but I don't remember anything on screen.

L

It doesn't get graphic, though they do tend to show the dead body and any related blood. My parents watch and enjoy this show.  They, and me, too, also enjoy New Tricks, another British police show with 3 retired police detectives brought back to re-investigate unsolved crimes. Some good humour woven into this show.

There's also A Touch of Frost, for British detective shows with some good humour, too.

You might want to preview some of these suggestions. I like Being Human (UK) and The Bletchley Circle but wouldn't want my 13YO DD watching either of them. YMMV.

Agreed, Being Human UK is NOT family friendly, but I love it.

Primeval perhaps? again UK not US

BBC Robin Hood for sure

Merlin absolutely

Sanctuary is a forgotten gem, I own all 4 seasons and still love it

Leverage is a favorite, we all loved it

Firefly

Numbers is a very clever show

Buffy the Vampire Slayer perhaps?

Supernatural (LOVE my boys)

Sleepy Hollow is a fantastic show as well, big with the witty, which I adore

Does it have to be British? How about Elementary? It has a very different vibe and is more of a procedural, but there's still the quirky crime solving element.

Doesn't' have to be British at all.   In fact, it could be Antarctican :) (is that even a term?).  We just tend to gravitate towards British programming.  I will check out Elementary....thanks Farrar.

My son is training our dog right now.  He got her to sit in one day.  He might like a dog and animal series.  Thanks!