Menu

Looking for historical fiction recommendations

ajfries

I want a book to read and I'm hankering for some historical fiction. Most of my searches come up with heavy romance. A touch of romance is fine, but I don't want that to be the main focus.

I'm not real particular about what time period, but I've really enjoyed books based in the pioneer/early settler days.

Anything come to mind?

Not settler days but All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr is historical fiction. It has a romance but it is not a romance novel. It was voted best historical fiction for 2014 on Good Reads. I haven't read it yet...I am #31 on my library hold list.:(

Here are their nominees for that, lots of good books on the list.

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-historical-fiction-books-2014

Orphan Train by Christina Kline

The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak

I would call Outlander a romance novel. It also isn't terribly historical. JMO, don't throw rocks! ;)

Have you read Alson Weir's books? She mostly writes non-fiction, but has a couple of historical fiction books.

I won't throw rocks ;-) but even the author does not categorize it as romance. When I think romance I think of the love story being the primary story line with anything else being filler. Outlander has a solid plot without the love story, that just makes it even better. But it's fine for us to see it differently! :)

I won't throw rocks ;-) but even the author does not categorize it as romance. When I think romance I think of the love story being the primary story line with anything else being filler. Outlander has a solid plot without the love story, that just makes it even better. But it's fine for us to see it differently! :)

I don't think she gets to decide it isn't romance with all that TeA drinking.

I watched the show but then I started wondering if the show's main character was actually Clair's boobs rather than Clair herself.

I only really read the first book so sorry if there is more plot than sex later. I don't mind a good romance novel in certain circumstances (sick, mopey) but I don't know how Outlander doesn't count as one.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Paula McLain's "The Paris Wife"

What about an epistolary novel? "Letters from Skye," "The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society," or "84 Charing Cross Road."

ETA - It's probably a bit later time period than the OP reads. It wasn't really a conscious choice, but I guess I lean towards WWII and maybe WWI. I'd suggest Phryne Fisher, but that's more mystery and while it's not romance per se...Phryne's, um....more liberal views on relationships are a part of the story.

Oooh, some of these have been on my to read list...don't know why I hadn't checked that yet.

I haven't read Alson Weir...I'll look into her.

I recently read Alison Weir's novel about Eleanor of Aquitaine, Captive Queen. It doesn't break new ground if you're reasonably well read about her, but it was fun getting the emotional retelling of a novel. I think I liked Innocent Traitor even better, though. It's about Lady Jane Grey.

I couldn't get through The Paris Wife, for some reason, but I loved Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald (Fowler). Again, if you've read a lot about F.Scott and Zelda, there's not any significant amount of new information, but I think the author does a nice job of making them feel like real, understandable people and of evoking their world.

Another novel I enjoyed recently was A Mad Wicked Folly (Waller). It's shelved in the young adult section, I think, and focuses on a young woman who wants to be an artist and ends up getting involved in the suffrage movement.

I know she doesn't classify it as romance, but it has more sex than some romance novels I have read. My serious reader friend and I thoroughly discussed this the other day and both agreed. We think she is just a snob. ;)

Hmmm. If it's not romance, how does she justify all the graphic groping? I'm with Mrs M here. I love a good historical fiction, and I enjoy sweet romances, but I had to quit on the Outlander series, it was too much for me!

You might consider Jack Finney's time travel novel much of which is set in New York in 1882.

Time and Again

"When advertising artist Si Morley is recruited to join a covert government operation exploring the possibility of time travel, he jumps at the chance to leave his twentieth-century existence and step into New York City in January 1882. Aside from his thirst for experience, he has good reason to return to the past—his friend Kate has a curious, half-burned letter dated from that year, and he wants to trace the mystery.

But when Si begins to fall in love with a woman he meets in the past, he will be forced to choose between two worlds—forever.

Praised as “pure New York fun†by Alice Hoffman, Time and Again is admired for its rich, painstakingly researched descriptions of life in New York City more than a century ago, and for the swift adventure at its core. "

Regards,

Kareni

I know she doesn't classify it as romance, but it has more sex than some romance novels I have read. My serious reader friend and I thoroughly discussed this the other day and both agreed. We think she is just a snob. ;)

I'm a member of Romance Writers of America & some of my buds were at a conference where DG was on a panel &  gave a really indignant response to a question about the romance elements. She really is a snotty snob. I know a bunch of hx romance writers who write very similar books....

Time And Again is on my shelf as a much-read and reread book!

McCullough's Rome series is excellent (note, a few raunchy bits but can skim those if desire - I am looking at you, Livia!)

For mystery/historical fiction I love the Monk or Pitt series by Anne Perry.

Lindsey Davis has a "detective" series set in Ancient Rome, too....

Combining mysteries and history is fun!  And I love series, since if I enjoy one book by an author I can keep going until I have read the lot!

Look for historical fiction by JAMES ALEXANDER Thom  at Amazon for some GREAT books set two hundred years ago - I love Long Knife, the story of George. Rogers Clark.  I think that fits your preferred time period perfectly.

Michael Phillips has written some really good historical fiction. There is a romantic element, but it is a side story, more or less. He has several series set in various places in the world at various times. He is a Christian author, but a deeper writer than most writers of "Christian Fiction."

Eugenia Price also wrote some really good historical fiction. It has been a long time since I've read her books, but I do remember some being more romance oriented than others. At this point I couldn't tell you which ones, though.  

This guy does very well written and well researched historical fiction.  Most of it is from different time periods of English History.  If you go to the section THE BOOKS at the top it will pull up a list of all the different series and you can click on them.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/

I loved the Saxon Stories which is set at the time of King Alfred.

Time And Again is on my shelf as a much-read and reread book!

McCullough's Rome series is excellent (note, a few raunchy bits but can skim those if desire - I am looking at you, Livia!)

For mystery/historical fiction I love the Monk or Pitt series by Anne Perry.

Lindsey Davis has a "detective" series set in Ancient Rome, too....

Combining mysteries and history is fun!  And I love series, since if I enjoy one book by an author I can keep going until I have read the lot!

Look for historical fiction by JAMES ALEXANDER Thom  at Amazon for some GREAT books set two hundred years ago - I love Long Knife, the story of George. Rogers Clark.  I think that fits your preferred time period perfectly.

Another vote for Time and Again, time travel in old New York - I reread this every few years

.http://www.amazon.com/Time-Again-Jack-Finney-ebook/dp/B00AK9IY0O/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418404967&sr=1-1&keywords=time+and+again

Another favorite from James Alexander Thom is Follow the River.

http://www.amazon.com/Follow-River-JAMES-ALEXANDER-Thom/dp/0345338545/ref=tmm_mmp_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1418404888&sr=1-1

I'll throw this one out, too, as an oddball but unforgettable- The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser - time travel in Boulder, Colorado.

http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Marlys-Millhiser/dp/0915230151/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418404844&sr=1-1&keywords=marlys+millhiser+the+mirror

This guy does very well written and well researched historical fiction.  Most of it is from different time periods of English History.  If you go to the section THE BOOKS at the top it will pull up a list of all the different series and you can click on them.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/

I loved the Saxon Stories which is set at the time of King Alfred.

My history-loving teen dd loves the Saxon series. She's got the last 3 books on her Christmas wish list. I've also gotten her the Grail Quest books for Christmas (but she doesn't know they're coming....)

Have you watched the Vikings tv series? Apparently there is some overlap in the historical characters.