Menu

Baby dolls

4Kiddos

I know there are other threads about but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I found some on bigger dolls but not baby dolls. I would like to purchase a baby doll for my little 15 month girlie for Christmas. She has become very taken with "baby Jesus" doll in mangers so I think that this will be a special gift for her. My kids have a tendency to latch onto one special lovey and that is all they want until they grow out of it. So, I am really concerned about purchasing a quality one. In fact, we don't have many toys but they are very high quality. Plus, she is my first girl after three boys so we don't really have any girl toys! :)

So, I have been looking around and have found a few that look nice. But, it is hard to know what to purchase. So, I am deciding between four different ones. Could you offer your thoughts?

- An American girl bitty baby

- Gotz dolls- a smaller 8 inch or bigger 14 inch one

- Madame Alexander dolls- a 12 inch with bent legs or a 14 inch one

- A Waldorf baby doll- It has removable clothes and is not the bunting style. We are not Waldorf at all but I love the toys!

I know I can find some of these on eBay too. So, what would you choose for your little girl's one doll? Which of the above do you think would last through lots and lots of play? Also, do you feel that weighted dolls are nicer? When she gets bigger and if she loves dolls then I would like to get her an actual doll and not a baby. But, we will see about that later. :)

Well I am a HUGE Bitty Baby fan, but I don't think that is an appropriate doll for a 15mo. I bought one for my 20mo dgd (because we went to the American Girl store), and it has pretty much had to stay on a shelf - she's not quite ready to take care of it (and it's a little bit big for her actually).

I think Gotz makes some nice dolls; soft bodied ones are more cuddly for toddlers.

A 12-inch Madame Alexander "baby" doll with a soft body would probably work.

A Waldorf would be a great pick for her age! I think the bunting style is too babyish, so I think going with one that is dressable is a great idea. There are so many positives to the Waldorfs for little ones that I don't think you could go wrong here.

We have a Gotz baby and a Bitty Baby.  Those are the only babies we have, and I'm not a doll girl, so I don't have much comparison, but DD (3 yrs) loves them both.  The Gotz baby came first and while it's been adored, Bitty Baby has been the bigger hit only because she looks like DD.

From what I can tell, they are both quality dolls and will last.  Their clothes are interchangeable, which is nice. 

Have fun shopping!

I have a baby doll loving 8 year old! She had a Bitty Baby when she was little, but I made her a Waldorf style doll when she was about 4 and she adores that doll. She liked her Bitty Baby, but she said they are not good for snuggling and loving because they are hard, so I would vote for a cloth doll. She saved her money and purchased one of these doll about a year ago:

http://www.magiccabin.com/Handmade-Dolls/Rubens-Barnand174;-Baby-Dolls-Collection.htm

I have noticed younger children (around your daughter's age) are very drawn to this particular doll when she takes it out. It is kind of big, but toddlers are very intrigued and enchanted and always want to hold and play with it when they see it. Actually, whenever she asks me to hold this particular doll, I snuggle up with it! It really is cuddly and sweet. 

I agree with the above post on skipping the bunting style doll at her age. She is close to 18 months, and will quickly outgrow a bunting style doll. I think it is good to get a doll that she can grow into.

Hope this helps! Happy doll buying.

edited to add a word

Both my daughters had baby dolls.  Their favorites were always Corolle dolls.  They started off as toddlers with the smaller, 14 inch doll.  Then "graduated" to the larger 20 inch doll.  These are wonderful dolls.  They are great play dolls and are very easy to clean.  We have a couple Lee Middleton dolls as well.  My youngest, around age 4,  liked Lee Middleton because they had hair and can actually "take" a (fake) bottle.  She also was given a Gotz Muffin doll around age 5 and loved her quite a bit. 

You really can't go wrong with any of those dolls.  The larger corolle dolls can wear actual baby clothes too......

My daughter has a Corolle Calin and Corolle bath baby (same style, but can go in the water). The Calin doll was a good size for her at 1 and is still a good size now at almost 4. She also has a Madame Alexander baby doll that my mom got her. That one isn't quite as well loved. I personally think the face isn't as cute or as babyish, though I can't say for sure if that's why she didn't take to the doll as well.

Corolle makes some great dolls, and their pricepoint, while not cheap, is much more reasonable than American Girl and usually better than Madame Alexander as well.

Our favorites are the Götz dolls.  The Maxy Muffins were the hands-down favorites, but those are for a bit older, i think  They have hair and look more like toddlers or little kids.  Götz also makes bald baby dolls - both ones with soft bodies, and ones you can bathe (plastic bodies).  Those were also well-loved.  Younger kids especially seem to like washing the babies - when they were older, there was less washing and more imaginative play.  I prefer bald baby dolls for little ones, as the hair gets messed up otherwise.  When they're older the hair is fun because they can style it.

I like the 15" size, as there are so many clothes, but for such a young toddler the 8" would also be fine, I think.

Madame Alexander has a doll like the Bitty Baby.  Soft body and a hardish non-breakable head.  They aren't that expensive on ebay.  

At the first sign that it is the lovey I'd buy a couple of extras and swap them out while she is too young to notice.  

DD got one for her 1st birthday and she wasn't too old then.  Clothes didn't become interesting she was 3.

http://www.magiccabin.com/Handmade-Dolls/Rubens-Barnand174;-Baby-Dolls-Collection.htm

I have noticed younger children (around your daughter's age) are very drawn to this particular doll when she takes it out. It is kind of big, but toddlers are very intrigued and enchanted and always want to hold and play with it when they see it. Actually, whenever she asks me to hold this particular doll, I snuggle up with it! It really is cuddly and sweet. 

Not that I'm in the market for a doll, but those look lovely.  I also like the fact that they are anatomically correct. 

Regards,

Kareni

Do you sew at all? weircrafts.com has some darling Waldorf-type dolls available as kits that are perfect for first baby dolls. I did this with all of my children and those dolls are still cherished (even by my boys!).

ETA: the simple dolls kits are not difficult to make. :)