Menu

What do 12 year old girls wear?

OnTheBrink

Our agency adopted a family for the holidays through a local charitable organization. I chose the 12 year old daughter, and I plan to get her an outfit and some jewelry (what she asked for). I did this without thinking that I don't really know what 12 year olds wear these days! I had selected a pair of skinny jeans, sweater and scarf from Old Navy and dd informed me that would be too mature for a 12 year old. So, what do they wear? She wears a woman's size large in tops, and a size 12 in pants. Pictures and links are good. 

Are you sure you got the right sizes?  A women's size large top and a women's size 12 pants would be pretty big for most 12 year olds.  It seems more likely to be a girls large top and pants size 12.  The store Justice is all the rage among that age.  I would pick something out from there.  They usually have 40 percent off sales or 40 percent off coupons you can print from the internet.

Are you sure you got the right sizes?  A women's size large top and a women's size 12 pants would be pretty big for most 12 year olds.  It seems more likely to be a girls large top and pants size 12.  The store Justice is all the rage among that age.  I would pick something out from there.  They usually have 40 percent off sales or 40 percent off coupons you can print from the internet.

Actually, I'm not. My dd is a size 12 and she's almost 17 and that size seems really large for a 12 year old. Not that it's impossible, I guess. But how awful would it be to open gifts on Christmas that are way too big? The info sheet on the girl said women's size large. 

Maybe I should call the charity and double check the sizes. 

My dd is 12.  She wears a kids' 12 and kids' large, but she is tiny.  Her best friend, who is also 12, wears a womens' 10.  So it could be either, actually.

My dd wears a lot from Justice and Old Navy.  Skinny jeans, sweater or button down shirt with a scarf is probably her go-to outfit.  

If she is 12 and in an adult L and adult 12 pant I would NOT get skinny jeans-- she would be a larger gal... skinny jeans would not be flattering!

I have a 12yr old dd who attends PS.. she is an adult S top and size 4 pant, while she is slim she does not like the skinny jeans-- she prefers bootcut.  When I was 12 I was an adult M top with size 10 pant (I was tall and slim--curvy too)...

Infinity scarves are very 'in' (in Texas at least).

Please verify the size-- you would not want her to be disappointed.

I think if she asked for clothing and listed those sizes that it is safe to give her what you have already purchased. Just enclose a gift receipt so that she can return them if they do not fit well or are not her preferred style.

My twelve year old likes skinny jeggings and jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sweaters, and scarves. So I think what you got sounds good, unless they don't look youthful.

I wouldn't recommend skinny jeans. I am personally replacing my daughter's with more appropriate jeans. 

If the gal wears a women's size large tops, and a women's size 12 pants (if she wears a women's large size shirt, I can't imagine that she is in a girls/kids size 12), I would imagine she's a larger young lady. I would look for clothing that would flatter her, not make her more self conscious. Some nice boot cut jeans, perhaps, and a nicely lined shirt.

Unfortunately what tween girls wear may not come into play, or be able to come into play, if she wears women's clothing. My 13 year old has, for the past couple years, been attracted to dressing more for her personality - she likes some character clothing (Harry Potter graphic tees, or fitted tees with funky cardigans), jeans, and Converses or flats. It would be very hard for me to shop for a young lady of that age without knowing her a bit. I don't envy you that. Is there any way that you could buy her a gift card for clothing instead? 

I also considered leggings and a long sweater or sweater dress. But I will definitely confirm the sizes. Bummer I didn't think of this before tonight--so many great sales going on right now!

A sweater dress and leggings is what my 12 y.o. has on right now. It has a skater-style skirt part.

I think if she asked for clothing and listed those sizes that it is safe to give her what you have already purchased. Just enclose a gift receipt so that she can return them if they do not fit well or are not her preferred style.

My twelve year old likes skinny jeggings and jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sweaters, and scarves. So I think what you got sounds good, unless they don't look youthful.

I agree.

My 12 year old DD can basically now share clothes(tops) with me. She LOOKS like a muscular toothpick (not an ounce of fat on her) but she is 5'4" ish, weighs 130 lbs., and has enough curves that she wears women's size 10/11 jeans and women's medium to large tops, depending on cut. And size 9 shoes - bigger than my 8. So the sizes they gave you are not completely out of the realm of possibility and she is not even the tallest/biggest (not overweight, just grown) girl in her class.

My 12 year old wears and likes skinny jeans and sweaters. I think it's totally age appropriate. Plenty of size 12 women's and size 12 girls out there, so double check the sizes... If in doubt, Pajamas, bathrobes, coats, gloves, hats, and tops might be easier to fit rather than jeans. But a return receipt probably will do the trick.

I have a 12 yo and she wouldn't be caught dead in Justice - Probably since she was about 7yo. It is waaaay too immature.   Old Navy would be fine my DD likes Aero, Holister, H&M, Forever 21 and A&F.  The outfit you picked sounds perfect - My dd loves leggings, sweaters hoodies and scarves.  You really can never go wrong with a hoodie.

My girls (12 & 17) both love hoodies and skinny jeans. Since jeans are tricky to size, I'd probably look for a really cute hoodie (zippered, hooded sweat shirt) and maybe a top, too. If you get jeans, be sure to include a gift receipt for exchange. Fuzzy socks are also very beloved in my house. :) Cute pajamas could be nice since they can be worn over and over and, if you are poor, having a really cute pair of PJs for sleepovers might be a nice treat. For jewelry, silver seems to be the look these days.