Menu

Non-US people - how are you doing?

Laura Corin

It's awfully quiet around here, so I thought we could chat.  How are things with you?  

I'm at work, illicitly greeting you whilst the boss is off picking up the 125 calendars that I will then have to mail merge the labels for, frank, take to the post office and send off.  

What I'm actually thinking about is my 55 shrubs that should be arriving this week, and my lovely two days off on Monday and Tuesday, which I will spend planting them.  I love being outside.  And then Calvin is home from university on 6th December.

What are you up to?

L

I'm working against my natural inclination and closing tabs. 82 is definitely too many. Thus far, with feelings of considerable sacrifice, I have closed five.

I am glad I didn't close them indiscriminately because I found a groovy picture! Scroll down to the pumpkins and gourds near the bottom! http://www.finecraftguild.com/5-vertical-vegetable-garden-ideas/

I'm working against my natural inclination and closing tabs. 82 is definitely too many. Thus far, with feelings of considerable sacrifice, I have closed five.

I am glad I didn't close them indiscriminately because I found a groovy picture! Scroll down to the pumpkins and gourds near the bottom! http://www.finecraftguild.com/5-vertical-vegetable-garden-ideas/

Love the Taiwan garden.  I used to live up in the hills near Taipei - I don't remember gardens, but I do remember the tea plantations: acres of camellias.

L

Ooh! I love climbing gardens! I'm about to send a choko vine up the side of the carport, now that our most recent rental inspection is over.

I'm chugging on through some algebra, and will get my kid to bed soon, for stories.

I have music on, and have been trying to find summer solstice craft activities to do with a friend's kids, as we are both not keen on Christmas this year. Looking to focus on the new year, and new beginnings. It's a bit of a tabfest here atm. :)

I've just dropped my car in for an MOT and walked home. Don't want to start anything else because I know I'll have to go back and get it at some point soon hopefully without parting with a lot of cash. I'm pretty bored actually apart from that but I might do some craft things for a bit .

I've just dropped my car in for an MOT and walked home. Don't want to start anything else because I know I'll have to go back and get it at some point soon hopefully without parting with a lot of cash. I'm pretty bored actually apart from that but I might do some craft things for a bit .

I hope the MOT goes well.  It's a bit of a treat for me when the car goes in because I have to wait for the bus back, so I buy myself a coffee and read for a bit. Then I take the double-decker back home, and get to be nosy about everyone's gardens that I can't usually see from the car...

L

Just having a normal day here. Foggy so I can't put the laundry out. I have been out dropping dd off at her art class and picked up a couple of books at the library.

I planted lots of bulbs about a month ago and they are starting to appear. I wish I could remember what I planted where. Lol So Laura, what kind of schrubs?

I hope the MOT goes well.  It's a bit of a treat for me when the car goes in because I have to wait for the bus back, so I buy myself a coffee and read for a bit. Then I take the double-decker back home, and get to be nosy about everyone's gardens that I can't usually see from the car...

L

The guy did say I could wait but they'd made an error and double booked so it'd have been a bit of a long wait in the cold and there's absolutely nothing in the area really except the park. I know it needs a couple of things done but it's hard to say whether they're MOT fails, it went straight through last year and surprised me. It's a 54 plate and given us no trouble really but it's just getting to the point where some of the bigger things are starting to go.

I read that too quickly, camelfeet, and thought you said naughty brownies. I thought: 'Seriously? You get high and come on WTM forums for fun??'

Oops!

As you were ;)

What wait?  That's not what the rest of you do after eating your own naughty brownies?!  And you call yourselves boardies....

But no.  My brownies are not at all naughty.  They even have bananas in them instead of eggs.  :D  Saintly more like.

Just having a normal day here. Foggy so I can't put the laundry out. I have been out dropping dd off at her art class and picked up a couple of books at the library.

I planted lots of bulbs about a month ago and they are starting to appear. I wish I could remember what I planted where. Lol So Laura, what kind of schrubs?

Foggy here too.  For once people weren't being idiots on the drive to work.  The seasons are (again) odd this year.  I still have petunias flowering.  And lots of roses.

The shrubs are all cheap bare-rooted things.  I'm putting in a bank of dogwoods (yellow and red stemmed) near the front door to brighten up our winters.  It takes the brunt of the east and north winds there (we are on a hill) so it can't be anything more choice.  Apart from that, I'm filling in a 'wind tunnel' between the house and the shed with things that can more-or-less live in the dark - Mahonia and Portuguese Laurel.  And some more purple filbert to fill in the wind break: the ones we have have survived really well, and the leaf colour is good.

L

What wait? That's not what the rest of you do after eating your own naughty brownies?! And you call yourselves boardies....

But no. My brownies are not at all naughty. They even have bananas in them instead of eggs. :D Saintly more like.

Well now, don't you sound virtuous?!

We did Thanksgiving last Saturday, so a fairly ordinary day here. DS8 is home off school for two weeks following surgery, so I'm meant to be doing schoolwork with him (very happy to have some time to "homeschool" for just a bit). In fact I'm doing battle with the most heinous headboard -- the previous owners took a six foot by six foot piece of wood, glued it with what must have been some sort of superglue to a frame made of 2 x2"s and stuck it to the wall of DSs' bedroom. Then they covered it with a hideous black flocked wallpaper, attached a rope light that gives no useful light. It is ugly and blocks the entire wall from being used for something sensible like a cupboard or bookshelves, so I'm trying to remove it. With a drill, child's saw, chisel, screwdrivers, hammers, electric. I've been at this for hours already and the darn thing isn't budging. It's also clear the wall will need to be spackled and repainted once I'm done. Argh!

The good news is that we have nowhere to go, and DS is on very limited activity, so we really can't go too many places that require walking.

Foggy here too. For once people weren't being idiots on the drive to work. The seasons are (again) odd this year. I still have petunias flowering. And lots of roses.

The shrubs are all cheap bare-rooted things. I'm putting in a bank of dogwoods (yellow and red stemmed) near the front door to brighten up our winters. It takes the brunt of the east and north winds there (we are on a hill) so it can't be anything more choice. Apart from that, I'm filling in a 'wind tunnel' between the house and the shed with things that can more-or-less live in the dark - Mahonia and Portuguese Laurel. And some more purple filbert to fill in the wind break: the ones we have have survived really well, and the leaf colour is good.

L

Sounds lovely. It's amazing what can be done with inexpensive schrubs and plants. We moved into our house (mid terrace so small garden) last fall. The previous owners took the plants with them except for a climbing rose and a couple of sickly things. I have been busy playing in my garden every since generally with the most inexpensive plants I can find. My dahlias and glads finally were hit by frost last week. Until then my yard looked like it was September! The hanging baskets with Sweet William and Pansy are still looking greet. I love the mild weather we have been having.

We did Thanksgiving last Saturday, so a fairly ordinary day here. DS8 is home off school for two weeks following surgery, so I'm meant to be doing schoolwork with him (very happy to have some time to "homeschool" for just a bit). In fact I'm doing battle with the most heinous headboard -- the previous owners took a six foot by six foot piece of wood, glued it with what must have been some sort of superglue to a frame made of 2 x2"s and stuck it to the wall of DSs' bedroom. Then they covered it with a hideous black flocked wallpaper, attached a rope light that gives no useful light. It is ugly and blocks the entire wall from being used for something sensible like a cupboard or bookshelves, so I'm trying to remove it. With a drill, child's saw, chisel, screwdrivers, hammers, electric. I've been at this for hours already and the darn thing isn't budging. It's also clear the wall will need to be spackled and repainted once I'm done. Argh!

The good news is that we have nowhere to go, and DS is on very limited activity, so we really can't go too many places that require walking.

We are doing Thanksgiving on December 7th, when Calvin is back from university, assuming that Husband hasn't gone to China by then.  

Sending you horrid-headboard-go-away wishes

I am trying to write a resume for a job. I do not think I have never written a resume before. It is for a 1 day a week teaching position.

If you want any ideas about how to turn home education experience into a CV, I did that in the past...

L

There's lots of good cv examples for women returning to work from various sites. If you search for "relauncher" or "returner" or return to work etc you will probably come up with lots of examples on how to present your experience.

I am trying to write a resume for a job. I do not think I have never written a resume before. It is for a 1 day a week teaching position.

Laura, I wanted to ask you about Calvin's experience at uni -- I think you said he's doing classics. DD may be interested in classics at Oxbridge (her Greek tutor pushing for her to do this but is pushing for Cambridge). Do you have advice on whether one is preferable to the other?

Sounds lovely. It's amazing what can be done with inexpensive schrubs and plants. We moved into our house (mid terrace so small garden) last fall. The previous owners took the plants with them except for a climbing rose and a couple of sickly things. I have been busy playing in my garden every since generally with the most inexpensive plants I can find. My dahlias and glads finally were hit by frost last week. Until then my yard looked like it was September! The hanging baskets with Sweet William and Pansy are still looking greet. I love the mild weather we have been having.

I had a lot of fun a couple of years ago raising perennials/biennials from seed.  I bought all the seed from Thompson and Morgan with Tesco vouchers, then planted in a sheltered former patio area.  There's nothing more satisfying than sitting drinking a cup of tea under the spires of 7 foot Verbascums that you have raised from tiny seeds

Laura, I wanted to ask you about Calvin's experience at uni -- I think you said he's doing classics. DD may be interested in classics at Oxbridge (her Greek tutor pushing for her to do this but is pushing for Cambridge). Do you have advice on whether one is preferable to the other?

Calvin made the choice completely based on the course.  He is studying Classics and English, which at Oxford is an integrated course with bridge papers, but at Cambridge (according to what he gleaned) was much more separate.  Otherwise, he liked both cities.

He's having a great time: pretty exhausted, but in all kinds of good ways.

would love some  suggestions :bigear:

Essentially, I set up home education on my CV as if it was a period of self employment:

Home Educator - China and Scotland - 2003-2010 

- When there was no suitable local school, tutored my sons myself, including day-to-day 

teaching, worldwide research for the best products and curriculum planning

- Led teams that organised spelling bees, sports days, book clubs and a cub scout den

- Founded and managed two Yahoo groups for home educating parents

- Prepared both boys for successful entry to school when we moved to Scotland

HTH

L

@Laura it is 717 A.M.  (UTC-5)  and my wife is in the kitchen starting to make our Breakfast and I can hear her singing to the Parrot... Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I am looking at the Tracking for 3 packages that are now on their way to Miami FL. Two used textbooks for DD and a WiFi Router. i have just discovered the textbook shipped from Salem OR is going by a method I had never seen before. "FedEx SmartPost Bound Printed Matter" and they estimate it will be delivered on the 10th. The other 2 are going via DHL Global Mail and UPS Ground and should be delivered no the 2nd. 

Also, I wonder why after the quote marks above, the size and type of the font  in my post changed.

My plan was to have the 3 packages Consolidated into one shipment, but now I suspect because of the Weight and the cost of the Consolidation, it may be less expensive to have our Forwarder send us 2 shipments instead of one. I need to ask them about that.

Have a nice day and a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all Americans!

I tried to put my home ed experience into business-type language, so putting in keywords that (I hope) would resonate with whoever was reading the cv and communicate my point, that home edding experience included transferable skills. So I put down:

Home-educated two students from Years 10 to 13 to obtain secondary school diploma. [emphasis on end goal]

Researched educational methods, analysed different routes to nationally-recognized exams and diplomas [one of my strengths is research and analysis, so I tried to bring this out here as well as elsewhere in the cv. also emphasized the "nationally-recognized" to indicate accountability to an independent third party]

Sourced materials and tutors [choice to use the verb "sourced" because it sounds more business-y]

Don't forget to put in all your volunteer experience. I had my cv circulating for months before I remembered that I should have added my most recent volunteer work.

We're not sending youngest ds to school today because of Thanksgiving, but he also has a nasty fever and gunky cough. I sincerely hope we don't all end up with it.

The temperature managed to get below 10 yesterday which felt WONDERFUL.

My crutches success rate (measured solely on whether or not I fall that day) is 3/5 so far. It's nice to have a little cushion because my goal is 50 percent. Costco has motorized carts so I was able to go shopping for Thanksgiving with dh on Monday. I had never had an excuse to use one before and it was fun.

Mexico has sadly adopted the Black Friday tradition, except that it's called Buen Fin and is over the long weekend for Mexican Revolution Day in the middle of November. At least it's already over with, although the malls are crazy on the weekends.

We are doing Thanksgiving very lightly tomorrow night with some other expat friends. Our village turns the lights on for the main tree tonight and has an outdoor market. Start of the Christmas season and a busy night for are family because of a variety of Christmas activities. Thanksgiving and the Late Night event fall on the same Thursday every year. Too exhausting to do both, tacos for early dinner tonight!

We had Thanksgiving this past weekend. I'm at work, right now procrastinating on my marking since I sent my resource hour students packing on account of us all hating margins and price (90 minute class followed by 60 minute resource hour on the same topic that is HARD makes for cranky teacher and cranky students).

Foggy here too. For once people weren't being idiots on the drive to work. The seasons are (again) odd this year. I still have petunias flowering. And lots of roses.

The shrubs are all cheap bare-rooted things. I'm putting in a bank of dogwoods (yellow and red stemmed) near the front door to brighten up our winters. It takes the brunt of the east and north winds there (we are on a hill) so it can't be anything more choice. Apart from that, I'm filling in a 'wind tunnel' between the house and the shed with things that can more-or-less live in the dark - Mahonia and Portuguese Laurel. And some more purple filbert to fill in the wind break: the ones we have have survived really well, and the leaf colour is good.

L

I love all your plant choices!

Gardening here is discouraging, because We have more deer here every year, and they have voracious appetites. They come within a few feet of the house and don't even bother to move when I go outside.

Scotland sounds lovely.

Foggy here too.  For once people weren't being idiots on the drive to work.  The seasons are (again) odd this year.  I still have petunias flowering.  And lots of roses.

The shrubs are all cheap bare-rooted things.  I'm putting in a bank of dogwoods (yellow and red stemmed) near the front door to brighten up our winters.  It takes the brunt of the east and north winds there (we are on a hill) so it can't be anything more choice.  Apart from that, I'm filling in a 'wind tunnel' between the house and the shed with things that can more-or-less live in the dark - Mahonia and Portuguese Laurel.  And some more purple filbert to fill in the wind break: the ones we have have survived really well, and the leaf colour is good.

L

Mahonia is one of my favourite flowers, I love that it's around when everything else is so grim and the scent is beautiful. I also really like that the rest of the year it looks like it should be surrounded by dinosaurs. 

Today is just another school day for ds.

Dh has been home all week puttering & finishing up some home improvement projects. I haven't had mirrors in the bathrooms all week. It's been an interesting experience. I don't think I look at myself a lot but it's weird when you look up while washing your hands & there's just a blank wall.

Dd's last week of classes, complete w/ 2 assignments. Finals next week & the 10th..Her mood disorder is, um, challenging.

I've read some people describe depression as a dementor. I've deciding living with someone with a mood disorder is also like living with a dementor -- it keeps trying to suck all the joy out.

I'm so thankful for my dogs, walks in the rain (cause I like rain!), & the distraction of this board.

sorry, this is ending up gloomy.   I think I might make a vegan pie later -  for medicinal reasons :)

I stayed up all night with dd8, who was vomiting. My dh stayed up with dd3, who was also vomiting but can't always remember to use a bucket.

Obviously I got the best deal :D. This morning dd11 started vomiting. I'm not feeling so well either.

We (obviously) don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but are gearing up for our big Sinterklaas feast (December 5th). Luckily I have all presents except two bought already, but I still need to wrap, without the kids noticing. Dd3 and dd6 still believe in Sinterklaas.

Dh is travelling today, so Thanksgiving will be tomorrow. I'm going to take the kids to see Big Hero 6 in 3D and I laid in a stock of self serve finger foods so I won't have to make anything big today. Dh was bummed out about having to work on Thanksgiving, but all of his clients are in Latin America and one had a board meeting today, so them's the breaks. He did take off Monday and Tuesday and we went bowling and ice skating.

I've read some people describe depression as a dementor. I've deciding living with someone with a mood disorder is also like living with a dementor -- it keeps trying to suck all the joy out.

I'm so thankful for my dogs, walks in the rain (cause I like rain!), & the distraction of this board.

sorry, this is ending up gloomy.   I think I might make a vegan pie later -  for medicinal reasons :)

Pie and walks sound good.  I'm sorry it's so hard.

L

We are planting our vegi garden today!  I rummaged through the neighbourhoods recycling bins yesterday to find newspaper for our weed mat. I must have been channelling my inner-mother, as she used to open people's rubbish bags looking for pine straw.

DS is taking the BMO tomorrow (British Maths Olympiad), and is the only one in the city who has been invited to do so.  This means that he will get his own private room at the university with a professor invigilating. Yesterday he tried the 2010 BMO1 and got 5 out of 6 right!!! This is huge, as only 100 students a year in the UK get better than a 40 out of 60. So cross your fingers. The BMO and the squad exam in January determine who gets into the 12-member training squad for the IMO.  Biggest problem is that he is sitting the BMO at 9am, and ds is not usually awake then.  :huh:

Ruth in NZ

Best of luck to him!  How exciting!

L

He has worked so hard this year -- 20 hours a week studying his Maths including the summer and school holidays.  He has taken *four* AoPS classes in one calendar year. :tongue_smilie:   And what is so great is that he can't do worse than last year, when he scored 1 out of 60, so it really reduces the pressure! :001_smile:

Well, summer is rearing its ugly head around here. There have been several school afternoons spent lying under the fan, eating ice blocks and watching TV.

I'm a bit jealous.  We are sitting around 17 degrees with 70k winds today.  My poor baby plants are not going to like the wind.

Believe it or not we have both humidity and wind.  I'm still running the dehumidifier in my boys' room at night. 

We were supposed to plant yesterday but winds of 100k was a bit much.  I figured I'd pour out my compost and it would blow away before I could spread it around.  Ah, the joys of the windiest city in the world!

On the plus side, we have no bugs. The wind just blows them away. :001_smile:

busy days for some of you!  I'm dealing with a vomiting DD (day 2), juggling choir, music exam and rehearsal commitments for DS (and organising people to sit with DD while I get him to the ones I have to be at / drop him to the ones I can stay away from), and a house with all of the living area (3) furniture moved into one space because the floors have just been polished and it haven't quite cured yet.  The funriture was all shoved in very quickly because we got just over 1 hour notice that they were coming due to a cancellation... I wasn't saying no, because it'd be after Christmas if not now).  I'm also closing rapidly on a couple of deadlines for significant pieces of writing that I've done nothing but outline so far.  Meant to be cooking a family dinner tomorrow (will have to cancel if DD isn't better), and drowning in laundry because I couldn't get to the laundry room for 3 days (only access is over expanses of newly polished floors).  It never rains but it pours, right?  Still, the weather is beautiful, the floors look wonderful, the sick kiddo is finally big enough to hit the bowl fairly consistently, the bigger one is being extremely helpful and I am amazingly grateful that I have a DH who can work from home when I need him, a MIL who can help with sitting and delivering boy child, and wonderful friends who will also act as taxis for DS. 

Oh... and in the midst of it all, I'm actually managing to stick (mostly) to my eating plan and I'm pretty close to my first 10kg down.  :-) 

Sorry you have sick ones.

My DS is in bed listening to and singing along with Sinterklaas liedjes. He's also been watching Sinterklaasjournaal. Very happy that I have one that is still into the lieve goede Sint!

I stayed up all night with dd8, who was vomiting. My dh stayed up with dd3, who was also vomiting but can't always remember to use a bucket.

Obviously I got the best deal :D. This morning dd11 started vomiting. I'm not feeling so well either.

We (obviously) don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but are gearing up for our big Sinterklaas feast (December 5th). Luckily I have all presents except two bought already, but I still need to wrap, without the kids noticing. Dd3 and dd6 still believe in Sinterklaas.