Menu

Non-US people - how are you doing?

Laura Corin

We're in the the end-of-year-chaos season, but thankfully most of it is now over.  Ds#2 sat his last exam on Tuesday & is now on summer holidays until the end of January.  Ds#1 is working longer hours as they rush to finish jobs before the country closes down for Christmas.  Dd is away at sea, working on an American ship now that carries university students who do a semester at sea.  She is enjoying this a lot.

We will have a small family Thanksgiving on Sunday.  We usually celebrate on Saturday, but ds#2 has a cricket game all day & ds#1 had to work today, so I've put it off until tomorrow.  I only have about a week left of possible work before the school closes for summer holidays.  Then I have no work for sure until the beginning of February.  Although I look forward to having time to get jobs done at home, it will be a challenge to make ends meet as dh is still not working.  Our garden is thriving & I'm planning on cashing in some of our loyalty points for grocery vouchers, so we should manage OK if I am careful.  

I'm just tired. We keep getting sick.

Ok, dd had her first violin exam this week and passed with flying colours! My olders are off with in inlaws today and I'm weaning my baby so milk is everywhere and he's cross. And we have to vote today. And my house is a mess.

A lot of mental fog for me, planning school for next year, stressed about finances, drama within the hs group, Christmas...

We are reasonably busy at the moment. Ms. 9 actually has "after school" activities every week day, plus we have our various appointments (and puppy school, cause the dog ain't home schooled!). I'm quite looking forward to the end of the year when things like Guides and gymnastics finish up so that we can have more stay-at-home days and get caught up on gardening (which is not happening at the moment because it takes all. day. to get through chores, basic school stuff and other activities).

Also getting a little anxious about receiving the results for dd's evals on Thurs.

And trying - but failing - to bury my head in the sand about Christmas being nearly here. Really need to have a Conversation with my in-laws.

Still lots of singing going on. It's that season.  Handel's Messiah: rehearsals all day yesterday, then performance last night.  I have a carol concert on Wednesday, then that's the end of formal singing until my choir starts up again in the new year.

Lovely day here.  Waiting to talk to Calvin, then going outside to plant my 55 shrubs.

Hobbes doing his chemistry homework next to me.

I have not bought a single Christmas present yet.  I went to our new local independent book shop yesterday and bought myself a book though. 

I'm just tired. We keep getting sick.

Ok, dd had her first violin exam this week and passed with flying colours! My olders are off with in inlaws today and I'm weaning my baby so milk is everywhere and he's cross. And we have to vote today. And my house is a mess.

A lot of mental fog for me, planning school for next year, stressed about finances, drama within the hs group, Christmas...

Well done to your DD!  Sorry the rest is a bit grotty.

Still lots of singing going on. It's that season.  Handel's Messiah: rehearsals all day yesterday, then performance last night.  I have a carol concert on Wednesday, then that's the end of formal singing until my choir starts up again in the new year.

Ooh, lovely :D

The *one* thing I love about this time of year is the Xmas music! I have got two groups of Guides rehearsing carols which we are singing at the local residential aged care facility in a couple weeks. And we will be going to church for Nine Lessons and Carols, which I enjoy immensely (we are not churchgoers, but hey, what's not to like when you can get Xmas carols without Santa, Rudolf etc ;) )

Ooh, lovely :D

The *one* thing I love about this time of year is the Xmas music! I have got two groups of Guides rehearsing carols which we are singing at the local residential aged care facility in a couple weeks. And we will be going to church for Nine Lessons and Carols, which I enjoy immensely (we are not churchgoers, but hey, what's not to like when you can get Xmas carols without Santa, Rudolf etc ;) )

Hear, hear!

We needed a morale boosting outing, so wandered up to the library in the rain. It's been oppressively stuffy in our little flat when the days have been hot. Now we're both soggy, with plans for a bath, followed by hot chocolate and a Beatrix Potter DVD.

End of year stuff. Ds7 doing two week swimming intensive. Today it was hailing 20 mins before the lesson. On Friday it bucketed down the whole leaving ds5 and I were wetter than ds7. I have the heater on and it is wintry outside. Should find out whether the kids get OK teachers next year sometime in the next few weeks. Trying to work out an affordable childcare arrangement for the holidays.

Team Australia had better get their act together! The place must be falling apart if the only thing at the voting booth is raffle tickets!

No cake stall either ? Appalling.

There was no sausage sizzle at our local voting place. Can you believe that? :svengo:

I have to say voting sounds like way more fun in Australia. Everyone here does a postal vote so dh and I and maybe 30 others vote in person. Last time the workers looked so bored I offered to bring them something to do. One lady had finished her book already....

I am cold -- again. Shoveling snow -- again.  Must be December! :lol:

A sweet little bird reminded me I haven't been around much.  For that, I am sorry.  Work has been busy and I'm finding this year difficult to time-manage.  We aren't homeschooling ds's friend this year, which is sad on its own, but not really my story to tell.  I'd have thought it would be easier going back to just one student, but it isn't.  

Lots of other small changes in life get in the way, too.  Would that I could have more hours in the day and more energy in my old bones.  Mais, eh bien... c'est la vie.  

I am cold -- again. Shoveling snow -- again.  Must be December! :lol:

A sweet little bird reminded me I haven't been around much.  For that, I am sorry.  Work has been busy and I'm finding this year difficult to time-manage.  We aren't homeschooling ds's friend this year, which is sad on its own, but not really my story to tell.  I'd have thought it would be easier going back to just one student, but it isn't.  

Lots of other small changes in life get in the way, too.  Would that I could have more hours in the day and more energy in my old bones.  Mais, eh bien... c'est la vie.  

I was just thinking about you the other day.  I'm really glad you posted.  :001_smile:

Lovely day here.  Waiting to talk to Calvin, then going outside to plant my 55 shrubs.

Hobbes doing his chemistry homework next to me.

I have not bought a single Christmas present yet.  I went to our new local independent book shop yesterday and bought myself a book though. 

55?!

I have a tough time counting that high, never mind planting that high.