Menu

Teenage girl dragged into the pool by a teacher

mommybee

Is there some part of the story I'm missing? Everyone keeps talking about a disrespectful girl; the video I saw just showed a girl being drug and yelling for help.

Does autonomy start the day you graduate?? Your first day of college? When do young adults earn the right to decide what they will or won't do?? Yes, there are consequences (lowered grade, grounding, etc.) but my young adult children will have the right to refuse physical activities they are not comfortable with, no matter why.

I guess the very act of saying, "No, I won't do that" is disrespectful and rude for the people who are calling her that.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably a parenting and worldview difference. There's no question the coach was out of line, but if my kid was refusing swimming over a hairstyle they'd be getting a serious discussion and consequences for that at home, to say the least. That is wildly inappropriate to me.

(Theoretically speaking, of course. Because really, I don't care. At all.)

I think mine would be getting a haircut. No, I wouldn't really do that, but there'd definitely be consequence--like maybe not going to the "formal event" and going to swim laps at the community center because so much focus on the "formal event" distracted her from her job during the school day which is to do the lesson the teacher assigns.

He could have failed her for an assignment or mark her absent or sent a letter to her parents.

I wonder why he "cared" so much that he yelled at another student to move out of the way so he could drag her.

Just makes me wonder...

I would guess that such refusal is a pattern with this student and he just got fed up. His reaction was so wrong.

Perhaps the problem is the district won't let students fail PE for lack of participation, that would certainly be frustrating to a teacher. Who knows. He was still wrong.

Mine don't. We have been teaching them from a very early age to respect and cheerfully comply with their parents, coaches, instructors, and teachers unless there is a very serious reason not to, and that respect includes participating to the best of their ability. When they are adults and paying for their own school and activities (college) they're welcome to be as cantankerous and obstinate as they want and suffer the consequences, but not until that point without one of the reasons I elucidated above.

This is probably a parenting and worldview difference. There's no question the coach was out of line, but if my kid was refusing swimming over a hairstyle they'd be getting a serious discussion and consequences for that at home, to say the least. That is wildly inappropriate to me.

(Theoretically speaking, of course. Because really, I don't care. At all.)

I guess this must be a worldview difference--teaching my children to be sweet and comply isn't one of my goals.

I am teaching them self-respect and to listen to their gut. Part of that is having control over their own bodies. I would support my child if he or she chose not to swim even if I disagreed with the reason (and I think 'hair' is a perfectly valid reason).

I would support my child if he or she chose not to swim even if I disagreed with the reason (and I think 'hair' is a perfectly valid reason).

It would not be a perfectly valid reason for me. As Creekland said upthread, if I had any daughters, I would hope they are not so vain that they could not go swimming and redo their hair if it's really that important to them. If she was bald and wearing a wig, it would be different for me; if she had other compelling reasons than "I have to preserve my coiffure," I may change my mind on this. But just deciding not to participate in your swim lesson because of "hair" is a tad ridiculous IMHO.

HOWEVER, the teacher is completely out of control. He could have chosen a number of disciplinary actions without as much as even looking at her. As Betty said, maybe he was frustrated or trying to make an example out of her but all he achieved was showing himself as an immature, vindictive man... of course I was not there in person and don't know background of either teacher or student.

Can't they both be wrong? I don't get the leap from "he was wrong, she shouldn't have refusdd participation in class" to victim blaming. It is possible for neither person to have responded correctly and escalated an incident without accusations of victim blaming.

She didn't deserve to be dragged. She should have spoken up before class or had her parent intervene if she needed to be excused from swimming. He shouldn't have flipped. He shouldn't have touched a student.

I'm not going to sit here and say it is as black and white as him being 100% wrong and her being totally justified. He is 100% wrong, she might also have been wrong. That doesn't mean she deserved his response, but neither does it exonerate her of any wrongdoing that might have happened.

We weren't there and don't know. But I find the leap to her being a victim and therefore anyone discussing her part in the entire thing interesting. Someone can be doing all the wrong things and still deserve respect and fair treatment. The latter isn't contingent on the former.

I don't think it is inherently wrong for her to say no to swimming in gym class. IMO, she isn't wrong.

I guess this must be a worldview difference--teaching my children to be sweet and comply isn't one of my goals.

I am teaching them self-respect and to listen to their gut. Part of that is having control over their own bodies. I would support my child if he or she chose not to swim even if I disagreed with the reason (and I think 'hair' is a perfectly valid reason).

If you child is enrolled in gym class then you and he/she should expect to do the physical exercise involved in gym class, just as if your child were enrolled in Algebra and was expected to complete a math assignment. That is what gym class is. If you don't expect your child to do the basic assignment of a course then do not enroll.

I will maintain hair is an incredibly stupid reason. There is no reason not to plan your hair style for the time you have that day. People do that all the time. It is a basic life skill.

I don't think it is inherently wrong for her to say no to swimming in gym class. IMO, she isn't wrong.

Why did she bother to put on a bathing suit? To pretend so she could get credit?

If the course has a requirement to do swimming, then the student needs to swim. If she doesn't want to swim then she shouldn't enroll in the course, which may mean she shouldn't go to that school.

I say she is, so it's just a difference of opinions, then. But I don't think flinging around things like 'victim blaming' as particularly accurate in the case of this thread. I'm pretty sure we are all blaming the coach for being totally out of line.

And in addition...people are calling her names, saying she is rude and disrespectful, etc.

I said we're awfully close to victim blaming, is that flinging? :D

The teacher was wrong and the girl was disrespectful. Some people think a student should not have to participate in class. If you enroll in a school where this class is a requirement and you enroll in this class then you should expect to participate. Every. Single. Day.

The teacher clearly lacked the skills to deal with the disrespect appropriately.

This girl probably has no choice where she goes to school. She probably didn't have much of a choice which class she took (PE was no doubt a requirement) and she has no or very little choice who her teacher is. In other words, she didn't CHOOSE to place herself under this horrid man's authority. She's a 14 year old girl. She's a PERSON with rights! She should jump through this idiot's hoops just because he says so? Am I the only one who doesn't think that just because someone supposedly has authority over me, that makes them a god in my life?

She has the right to say no to what happens to her body. Period. That vile man assaulted her and should be in jail, not paid leave. Just looking at the pictures and reading the description nauseates me. But of course, we victim blame. "She was spoiled. She should have obeyed him." Sickening. I would hope that my daughters had enough confidence in their own rights that they would stand up for themselves, that they would fight and make a lot of noise about it, and know that I would back them up completely.

Why did she bother to put on a bathing suit? To pretend so she could get credit?

If the course has a requirement to do swimming, then the student needs to swim. If she doesn't want to swim then she shouldn't enroll in the course, which may mean she shouldn't go to that school.

Oh right. She was wearing the wrong thing. Seriously???

And yeah, she should go to another school. That's so easy for us to say. SHE doesn't get to choose what school she goes to. Her town and her parents have more say about that.

of course I was not there in person and don't know background of either teacher or student.

And this is what none of us know for sure.  I'm basing my opinions off what I see IRL teaching at school for the past 15 years.

If I recall correctly, this teacher had 10 years of experience at that school?  (I may not be recalling correctly.)  I think if he were just naturally unsuited for teaching it would have come to a head sooner, but it is mainly an educated guess.  I suspect this gal is one where "everybody knows her name" due to her behavior and he got fed up with it and flipped out totally inappropriately.  I think the school knows this (background) too and it's why he didn't get much punishment to start with.  Everyone could identify even though they would all agree with us that his behavior was inappropriate.

But we weren't there, so who knows for sure?

If she truly had a real issue with swimming either in general or that day, the one thing I feel totally confident in is that there would have been an appropriate "out" for the girl.  Her parents could have written a note at the very least.

The rest I feel pretty confident in, but again, it's based upon my experiences.  If my experiences were different, perhaps I would feel differently.

In our high school we have very few behavior problems among the general population.  There are a handful of students who cause the vast majority of the problems and we all tend to know them.  Some prefer drugs.  Some prefer the attention.  Some just don't want to be in school period.  Our classes would be much better if they weren't to be honest, and by high school, in many other countries they wouldn't be there. They'd be out doing what they wanted to be doing (or training for it).  But that's a whole different thread.

IDK why she put the suit on. I could guess and assign motives if you want. (Because she wanted to show off her new bikini? Because she has awesome abs? Because it was a habit and the hair/event part slipped her mind until after she changed? Because you get one grade for having your suit and one grade for swimming?)

But IMO, it doesn't matter why her suit was on. She said no.

What if part of the class was going into the deep end? And she wouldn't, because XZY reason. Disrespectful, rude, spoiled...why is she even in that school is she isn't going to go into the deep end?

I doubt that would happen. She'd probably get a B instead of an A that day.

I hope to God the adult in charge wouldn't toss her off the deep end bc she refused to go in the deep end.

To me someone saying, "He was wrong, but she should have done..." is like saying, "He was wrong for assaulting her, but she really should have done xyz differently."  This is a 14 year old girl and a grown male educator. I don't know why we're debating her role in refusing to swim.

My dds are in ps and we don't have some widespread problem with students refusing to participate in PE and things going crazy. There are students who refuse to participate in academic classes and draw or daydream instead. They aren't physically harmed/suspended/punished unless disruptive. If it was any different, my dds wouldn't be in ps but I guess I'm fortunate with the people we have running things here.

I think a lot of people are making a lot of presumptions about the child in question.  Perhaps she is a rude and disrespectful brat who has pushed this teacher's buttons all semester. Or perhaps she had a legitimate reason not to swim that she was uncomfortable sharing with him or the press, or maybe she just has a life priority scheme that is different from many on this thread and is a generally reasonable and kind kid.  What descriptor is most appropriate is pretty irrelevant to the issue from my standpoint.  What is captured on that video meets the legal criteria for felony assault charges in my state so I have a hard time understanding how this is not a problem and why this individual was allowed contact with children after this incident.  I also am glad that this didn't end with more serious injury.  If he had actually managed to fling her into the pool he certainly could have caused significant, or even fatal, head or neck injuries.

I have massively mixed feelings over this.

Well, not over the actions of the teacher, which were clearly way wrong.

But over the gym thing. I've been that kid who loathed gym. And... ugh... I've been the gym teacher. I strongly believe in letting kids have control and not to just comply, but I also see a strong value in exercise and in community guidelines. I think there should be some element of choice in gym. That no kid should have to swim when they don't want to, for example. There should always be more and less intensive options. If my tiny school managed to make options happen, then any school can make there be options.

If a kid is going to miss gym, then a zero works fine for a few times. But not for an ongoing issue. If a kid is going to do it, then they have to accept a failing grade, a lower GPA, the loss of various school privileges, possibly suspension or stronger punishment. I respect the right of a kid to essentially not do anything they feel opposed to, even, say, their algebra homework. But if it's civil disobedience, then pack your Thoreau and spend your night in jail, or worse. 

I don't think students should routinely say "I don't want to do that so I'm not going to," but I have no problem with a student who has a special event once or twice a year that means they'll end up missing a class or unable to do certain activities that they'd normal participate in. As long as it's not a regular occurence I think that's totally within normal boundaries. That's why they're called special occasions. If my child had one I'd probably just tell them not to bother going to that class.

The teacher is a fool but I am stunned by parents who apparently think students should get to pick and choose what they do in class.

Imagine these students in college.

The public ivy I attended required four semesters of nonacademic credit PE. The expectation to really participate (not whine and pretend to bounce a basketball or other stuff that often gets credit in high school) was set high. It was nonacademic credit so it didn't go in your GPA if you passed, but if you failed the F went into your GPA. But unlike high school did get to choose some fun classes if we wanted. If you had money you could ski over spring break with a "class" . You could take orienteering. Whatever. One of my good friends went to a university that required students to swim 200 meters in order to graduate.

The public ivy I attended required four semesters of nonacademic credit PE. The expectation to really participate (not whine and pretend to bounce a basketball or other stuff that often gets credit in high school) was set high. It was nonacademic credit so it didn't go in your GPA if you passed, but if you failed the F went into your GPA. But unlike high school did get to choose some fun classes if we wanted. If you had money you could ski over spring break with a "class" . You could take orienteering. Whatever. One of my good friends went to a university that required students to swim 200 meters in order to graduate.

Did your friend attend Cornell University?  

Actually people in college get to choose which classes to take. They get to decide where to go to school. And they are not physically assaulted for choosing to sit an assignment out. Last I checked, they were more or less treated like adults. This girl is insisting that her rights over her own body are respected. I expect she'll do quite well in college. I feel much better about her chances in college and the real world beyond than I do some girl who is taught to obey every authority figure in her life no matter what they ask or how little regard they have for her.

And am I the only teacher that didn't get my panties in a wad when my students ignored assignments? I teach jr highers and high schoolers (homeschooled students at co-op) and if they didn't do assignments, oh well, their loss. Their parents signed them up for the class, it's up to them to make sure their kids did the work. It's not as if *I* needed the homework to happen. The assignments are for THEIR benefit, not mine.

Oh right. She was wearing the wrong thing. Seriously???

And yeah, she should go to another school. That's so easy for us to say. SHE doesn't get to choose what school she goes to. Her town and her parents have more say about that.

1. if she's not participating be honest and upfront. Just don't dress out.

2. If her parents don't think she should have to participate then they should enroll her elsewhere. Since she is enrolled, they have agreed by enrolling her that she should do the assignments given to her in each of her classes. If there's a problem with the assignments, they should provide the appropriate documentation to get her out of said assignments.

And am I the only teacher that didn't get my panties in a wad when my students ignored assignments? I teach jr highers and high schoolers (homeschooled students at co-op) and if they didn't do assignments, oh well, their loss. Their parents signed them up for the class, it's up to them to make sure their kids did the work. It's not as if *I* needed the homework to happen. The assignments are for THEIR benefit, not mine.

This reminds me of the old days when it was ok to fail students.  It's no longer ok.  It's the teacher's responsibility to make sure ALL students pass and homework or participation is often part of that grade so that those who don't do so well on the tests can still pass.

But it's time for me to bow out now.  It's way, way, way past my bedtime and there are way too many incorrect stereotypes about modern public school systems and how they work for me to stay up to deal with.  ;)

In short, the teacher was totally wrong in how he handled the situation, but I'm also glad that girl isn't my daughter with her behavior.

And I've never once either been or raised someone to be the type to respect authority just because.  ;)

I do, however, expect people to do their best to get along in society filling the roles they are in.  This means if one is objecting to what is being asked of them, one goes through proper paths to do so when those paths are there.  I suspect the paths were there as I can't imagine any school NOT having them in this day and age and with that situation.

No, she went to a tiny school in VA called Longwood College (university now)

Ok, Cornell has a freshman swimming test that you either pass during orientation or you enroll in swimming classes for PE until you can pass.  I believe non swimmers can just sign up for swimming class as their PE and delay the test. My cousin who went to Cornell had qualified for USA Swimming nationals the summer before she started college so she swam her requisite laps and then got PE credit for being on the Varsity Swim Team. 

Ok, Cornell has a freshman swimming test that you either pass during orientation or you enroll in swimming classes for PE until you can pass.  I believe non swimmers can just sign up for swimming class as their PE and delay the test. My cousin who went to Cornell had qualified for USA Swimming nationals the summer before she started college so she swam her requisite laps and then got PE credit for being on the Varsity Swim Team. 

I think my friend described it similarly. She was given a chance to pass during orientation. Those that didn't pass had to take swimming until they could swim 200 meters. That's actually a scary prospect if you don't know how to swim at all. It can be hard to learn when you aren't a little kid. I think she said there were a couple people who took swimming almost every semester to get to that point.

The teacher is a fool but I am stunned by parents who apparently think students should get to pick and choose what they do in class.

I'm glad my parents stood by me when I refused to complete an assignment that I thought was inappropriate or when I stopped participating in a class because I was tired of the way I was being treated by a teacher who was a bully. I'm glad they taught me how to make my case and explain my reasoning all the way up to the principal's office. I'm glad the principal had enough respect for my rights as a person to listen to what I had to say. But mostly I'm glad that in both cases, even though it may have been annoying to the teacher or difficult for them to deal with, no one thought it was acceptable to put their hands on me and physically force me to comply.

In the case of the assignment, I took the zero. In the case of the bully teacher, he was made to change and I was able to learn in a safe environment. In both cases, if I had to live it all over again, I would have made the same choice. Sometimes the answer is no and dragging a child into the pool like seen in the video is never ok.

Maybe because 'dressing out' for gym is a separate part of her grade, as it was in my school? 

Her reason for putting on a bathing suit does not matter. Her reason for not swimming does not matter. The only thing that matters is that her teacher physically assaulted her. 

If that were my daughter, he would be buried under the jail. No, wait: he would be buried under the gym, the symbolism is more apt. 

Maybe because 'dressing out' for gym is a separate part of her grade, as it was in my school? 

Her reason for putting on a bathing suit does not matter. Her reason for not swimming does not matter. The only thing that matters is that her teacher physically assaulted her. 

If that were my daughter, he would be buried under the jail. No, wait: he would be buried under the gym, the symbolism is more apt. 

Again no one here is defending the teacher.

Some people have suggested refusal is not disrespectful and it is. Given the nature of PE classes refusal to participate is more disruptive than in almost any other class

This reminds me of the old days when it was ok to fail students.  It's no longer ok.  It's the teacher's responsibility to make sure ALL students pass and homework or participation is often part of that grade so that those who don't do so well on the tests can still pass.

But it's time for me to bow out now.  It's way, way, way past my bedtime and there are way too many incorrect stereotypes about modern public school systems and how they work for me to stay up to deal with.   ;)

In short, the teacher was totally wrong in how he handled the situation, but I'm also glad that girl isn't my daughter with her behavior.

And I've never once either been or raised someone to be the type to respect authority just because.   ;)

I do, however, expect people to do their best to get along in society filling the roles they are in.  This means if one is objecting to what is being asked of them, one goes through proper paths to do so when those paths are there.  I suspect the paths were there as I can't imagine any school NOT having them in this day and age and with that situation.

They are only incorrect stereotypes because they do not apply to you and where you reside. The examples given are not incorrect for those of us who reside elsewhere. There is no "one way" modern public school systems are run these days and many are doing quite well allowing students to opt out of participating in PE. I actually exempted my youngest from PE for the entire school year this year. It's a little known 'out' that many don't know about, but all they have to do is fill out the correct paperwork. The class that she is taking in place of PE is much more beneficial to her at this moment. I come from a long line of educators and the one thing they all agree on is that there is not only one correct way to do things.

Some people have suggested refusal is not disrespectful and it is. Given the nature of PE classes refusal to participate is more disruptive than in almost any other class

I've already asked once before but I'll ask again. How is it disruptive? That hasn't been my or my dds' experience.

This girl is a 14yo and the school shown is a high school. Unless there's something unusual, she's a freshman and this occurred in August. I don't think she could have much of a reputation. She may not know enough yet to just not dress out for swimming. What I do see is that she's seriously desperate to not get in the water. Her classmates were locking their legs around her to prevent the teacher from dragging her and some of them are hitting him with kickboards. IMHO, that shows how grave they thought the situation was since hitting a teacher (even with a yellow foam kickboard) can bring some serious consequences to a student.

I don't agree. In my high school days, it was normal for some girls to sit out of our single sex classes because they weren't feeling well enough to participate. If participation had been required, they would have had to go to the nurse's office or been absent that day. It wasn't disruptive at all. The kids sitting out watched the game or read or did homework.

If PE had been coed, I'm sure we would have been mortified for the guys to know we were sitting out gym and the probable reason why.

I am also surprised at the number of people who say that neither they nor their kids have ever, or would ever, not do an assignment or participate in a class.

I have sat out PE quietly and also not done some assignments. For PE there are some activities that I am medically exempt from with doctors note, but I am stuck with an F in PE for public school transcripts. I only skip assignments that do not affect my grades.

You can always politely refuse to do an assignment or participate in any class. Consequences are usually in the student handbook and reiterated in the course requirements for my local public schools. As a parent who had kids in PS, I had to sign annually that I have read the student handbook and my child would abide by the consequence.

The teacher is a criminal. 

<snip>

If I recall correctly, this teacher had 10 years of experience at that school?  (I may not be recalling correctly.)  I think if he were just naturally unsuited for teaching it would have come to a head sooner, but it is mainly an educated guess.  I suspect this gal is one where "everybody knows her name" due to her behavior and he got fed up with it and flipped out totally inappropriately.  I think the school knows this (background) too and it's why he didn't get much punishment to start with.  Everyone could identify even though they would all agree with us that his behavior was inappropriate. <snip>

I know plenty of great teachers. I also know plenty of teachers who have been in the profession for many years despite being highly unsuited to it. 

If the school didn't give him much punishment to start with because they 'could identify' due to her prior behavior, I find that absolutely appalling and I hope heads roll. 

I skipped more than one class and refused to do more than one assignment in high school. I did just fine in college, so I guess there's hope even for the hardened cases. 

Some people are defending the teacher, imo. And why is refusal to participate in PE class particularly disruptive? 

One of my good friends went to a university that required students to swim 200 meters in order to graduate.

My University required us to pass a swim test in order to graduate. I'm not sure how far we had to swim, but at least a lap or two.

They have since removed that requirement.

My University required us to pass a swim test in order to graduate. I'm not sure how far we had to swim, but at least a lap or two.

I am fully in favor of water safety, but I don't get this. Are these schools located on small islands, or perhaps in Venice? Is it just swimming, or do students also have to master traffic rules and stop, drop, and roll? 

I am also surprised at the number of people who say that neither they nor their kids have ever, or would ever, not do an assignment or participate in a class.

That kind of unwavering, multi-generational compliance is truly amazing.

Well, yes. I did participate in PE, every single day for two years. I did not like PE so much, but I did it. There was never a reason not to. I also participated in in class assignments in my other subjects. No one asked me to do anything out of the ordinary, so there was no reason to questionn it.

My older two enrolled in public high school. I saw for my ds and see for my dd a good many assignments. I haven't see one yet I disliked enough to try to have them opt out. Most of their work was/is well planned. Dd is introverted and hates the participation requirement in IB French. That's life it's a spoken language. She needs to work even if it makes her uncomfortable.

unless assignments are outside the course curriculum, why would it be OK to ignore assigned work during class time. I do know some kids do ignore assigned work during the day. But really, you are at school, you might as well follow through with the job of being a student since you are there.

What kinds of things did you ignore? Did just not feel like it? Did you take that good work ethic with you to the job?

I am fully in favor of water safety, but I don't get this. Are these schools located on small islands, or perhaps in Venice? Is it just swimming, or do students also have to master traffic rules and stop, drop, and roll?

It was the University of NC at Chapel Hill. The requirement was lifted in 2006.

Here is some interesting information about the swim test requirement through the years.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jun/18/news/adna-swim18