Menu

spoiled with a designer purse (first world problem alert!)

EmilyGF

I have a first world problem. :-) My mom bought a designer purse ten years ago at a garage sale for $5 and gave it to me. It is high quality alligator skin exterior and some other real leather interior. The hardware is great, too. I've been using this purse for nine years and I just want a change... but every purse I try out (even a $$$ Brighton purse) seems so flimsy and awkward. It doesn't quite look like new anymore, but being used daily for 9+ years seems amazing to me!

Sigh. Did you get hooked on high quality purses? What did you do?

The purse I have is not flashy. I would never carry a flashy purse (I live in a high crime area and don't want to make myself a target, also it isn't my personality). So, I would never carry a well-known designer purse. 

Emily

Start going to TJ Maxx/Marshalls or Nordstrom Rack and find a bag you can live with, even if you don't love it.  Switch to the new mediocre bag and then start watching for a bag you love.  It is very hard to switch from an "I love it" bag to "I like it a lot".  But not so hard to appreciate the "I like it a lot", when you are carrying a mediocre one.  

I love higher end purses. They last so much longer than cheaper bags. I've found some nice bags at the thrift store here. Brighton, Coach, Etienne Aigner... You have to be great at sorting out any faux bags, but it's certainly a cheaper way to buy bags. I even make a little money at it. The thrift store sells the purses for three bucks each, and I can often resell them for thirty bucks or more.

My hubby likes hunting for my favorite designers' leather bags for me. So far he has the best prices at Saks 5th Ave Outlet and Nordstrom Rack. My European made ones lasted the longest so we check labels at the stores. I have a leather made in Italy small backpack still useable from before 1997.

I have more handbags than days of the week now because none get spoilt :lol: They are different sizes, some casual some formal.

ETA:

Do you have a premium outlet nearby? We had fun browsing at Bloomingdales outlet, Neimen Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom, Dooney Burke, Burberry, Prada.

I got hooked on nice bags. I have two Coach, one Fossil, and one Kate Spade.

My dh bought me the Fossil for Christmas one year. I'm not sure how much he paid for it.

I bought my two Coaches and my Kate Spade at outlet malls and did not pay more than $120 for any of them. They were all worth it. They are nice and last a really long time while still looking very nice.

None of them are "flashy." :)

I've always been a cheap purse girl. I bought a Michael Kors bag on a whim and wound up selling because it was too big.

Recently though, I bought another MK bag; small, simple, solid brown leather. I am IN LOVE with this purse - it is absolutely perfect! If they would've had it in black, I'd own two. I hope to use it for years.

I'm a big fan of Fossil. I have one that I paid ~$120 for, but I've been using it for over three years. It's showing a little wear, but will easily last quite a while more. I never thought I'd pay that much for a bag, but I had a series of cheap ones fall apart and I was amazed at how much better the Fossil bags held up.

I'm not a fan of flashy either. I like function, and cross-body :D I need my hands!

This is how I am with sunglasses. I have used Oakley sunglasses for 20+ years - and I have only had three pairs. One broke. One fell off while on a roller coaster. I still use the third. No other glasses have the lens visuals I want and my eyes are very light-sensitive.

Where I live there are a couple Goodwill stores that are "boutique" types. The goods for sale have been culled and are nicer things and some designer brands. I know they have expensive purses in the case, though I don't know what they sell for.

I don't carry a standard purse anymore, ever since mine was stolen. I now have a small shoulder pouch just big enough for phone, keys and money/cards.

I have a high end leather purse (over $200) that I got at a yard sale for $8.  It is very well constructed and made but it has a huge drawback for me, it doesn't have a heavy shoulder strap.  

I much prefer shoulder straps to those elbow holding straps used.

I now carry this one daily, and LOVE it!  It holds my 10" iPad and I take it everywhere with me.

http://www.timbuk2.com/classic-messenger-bag/116.html?dwvar_116_color=6061&dwvar_116_size=8#dwvar_116-1-2000_size%3D3%26dwvar_116-1-2000_color%3D4062

It is either the XS or S, the one that carries a 10" tablet and has plenty of room for the rest of my stuff.

I only carry the designer bag when I go to church or nicer activities.

Dawn

PS:  If I could afford a nice Coach or similar in the same shape/style as the Timbuk2, I would get it.

I had that problem too. I kept looking. Even the best brands couldn't measure up to the one I had. It was just perfect, but had seen a little too much wear at my side. (Nosebleeds on a leather purse=not good.) I finally found one that was close. Same brand, but smaller and longer strap. Did I tell you that the first purse hit just right for carrying? All the other purses out there have straps that are either too long or too short, even after being adjusted every way you can adjust. It took about a month, but now I am just as much in love with this purse as I was with the other one. I have (almost) gotten used to carrying it across my body.  It has the same quality and functionality as the first (it is the same brand). I kind of like the slightly smaller size--keeps the kitchen sink out of my purse! So, I suggest saving up and getting another purse of quality. The way that they last (if you don't like change!) makes then not such a bad investment. I do not like to change purses. I use one until I kill it. I have gone from purchasing a purse every year to...heck, I have no idea. But, be aware, it might be harder to replace it than you think. I get so used to "the one" that I want one exactly like it as a replacement. That is usually impossible!

PS: If I could afford a nice Coach or similar in the same shape/style as the Timbuk2, I would get it.

I have a Cole Haan suede laptop messenger bag bought at Cole Haan outlet and a Furla (trapezoid side view) tote bought at Nordstrom Rack that can hold two iPad while out shopping. Both were bought at outlet sales.

I really want a colored leather bag next. My current bag is black alligator with brown alligator trim.

Would it be silly to buy a high quality blue leather bag? Is that too trendy for something I may use for 9 years?

The black bag still has life in it, so I could switch to that when I need something plainer.

Emily

I really want a colored leather bag next. My current bag is black alligator with brown alligator trim.

Would it be silly to buy a high quality blue leather bag? Is that too trendy for something I may use for 9 years?

The black bag still has life in it, so I could switch to that when I need something plainer.

Emily

Sounds good to me. :)

Emily

Depends on you, your wardrobe and your preference for color trends.

I love Hobo brand bags, especially in a green that ls similar to a green apple (discontinued color), or a watermelon pink.  They are considered a high end bag, but with the colored leather, the leather shows color wear pretty fast.  Hobo brand is a very, very soft distressed leather which is adorable when new, but due to the distressed look they look worn out fast too.  I have 5 Hobo bags that are set aside, that are all in excellent condition but need the leather reconditioned and repainted/redyed

If you are buying a stiff leather bag, color would be fine, but a soft leather many not hold the look for 9 years like you are hoping to.  

The other thing to consider is color trends.  That blue that you love today, may be going out of style and you may clash with your wardrobe a a couple of years. Some people care about such things, some don't.  

I run into the color issue each winter because the watermelon pink and green apple don't look good with my winter color clothes.  

Emily

I love a nice blue bag! If you want something really nice I recommend going to a few boutiques or nicer department stores and looking at/feeling a lot of different bags. Figure out what you like. And then wait for a nice sale…personally I think most of the higher end bags are over priced. You might look at Furla. Marc Jacobs, Longchamp, for example because they don't have in your face logos and nameplates.

I love a nice blue bag! If you want something really nice I recommend going to a few boutiques or nicer department stores and looking at/feeling a lot of different bags. Figure out what you like. And then wait for a nice sale…personally I think most of the higher end bags are over priced. You might look at Furla. Marc Jacobs, Longchamp, for example because they don't have in your face logos and nameplates.

I just changed to a blue bag too and I love it. For some reason, I wear a lot of blue in the fall and this one looks so nice with my clothes. Found it a TJMaxx which is where I get most of my purses.

I have a high end leather purse (over $200) that I got at a yard sale for $8.  It is very well constructed and made but it has a huge drawback for me, it doesn't have a heavy shoulder strap.  

I much prefer shoulder straps to those elbow holding straps used.

Same here. My inlaws gave me a very nice purse for my birthday, but it has no shoulder strap, and I just can't see myself using it regularly. So I'm basically saving it for special occasions. Which isn't a bad thing - it's probably a good idea to have something that isn't all messed up from day-to-day usage for those occasions. 

I have two Timbuk2 bags -  a small one that I carry for work, and a larger one that I use for overnights. Then an approximately 9x12 crocheted bag that I use as my everyday purse, the pocket of my Ergo carrier that I use for short trips out with baby, and my other designer bag - a Petunia Picklebottom diaper bag that I found for $3 at a thrift store - for longer trips with the baby.