Menu

Ebola comment

Night Elf

Today my dd had a counseling appointment and I had my physical. For both times, at check-in, we were asked if we had a fever. I asked my doctor and she said while a fever can be anything, that's just the beginning of the screening for ebola. This was with Kaiser Permanente.

I had a kid at the doctor a few days ago (with a symptom of fever - strep test) and saw a notice taped behind the counter to instruct the staff on Ebola screening. No one said anything to us though.

Back in August, I was hospitalized with symptoms that were similar to Ebola symptoms (I didn't have it, of course), and every doctor that talked to me, both in the ER and after admission, took a huuuuuuge step backward and asked if I had been to Africa recently. I hope they ask at the admissions desk now, as I had used the communal patient bathroom in the ER twice before that question came up.

Its a normal thing around here now.  I was in the ER at the children's hospital a little over a week ago and they had signs up saying to notify them if you'd recently been to West Africa and/or have a fever or ebola symptoms.  They also asked those questions to everyone immediately upon arrival, even before you got to sit down in the waiting area. 

Last week I was in a different section of the same hospital, their cast center, and they asked the same questions even though this area was specifically for people coming in to have casts removed, injuries reexamined, and such.  

I was asked that today at a prenatal appointment.

When I had to take DS to the emergency department about a week and a half ago the first thing they ask when everyone enters is if they have traveled out of the country in the last month.  I know that this is new because I was there with him the month before and they didn't ask.  OTOH, we have been to his regular pediatric clinic a several times in the last few weeks for allergy shots and a sick child visit and weren't asked.

When I had to take DS to the emergency department about a week and a half ago the first thing they ask when everyone enters is if they have traveled out of the country in the last month.  I know that this is new because I was there with him the month before and they didn't ask.  OTOH, we have been to his regular pediatric clinic a several times in the last few weeks for allergy shots and a sick child visit and weren't asked.

hmm.   dd carved "ebola" into her pumpkin.  when I asked - she said it was because "it is so scary".    she also wanted to wear a containment suit as a costume - and said that she has been wearing them at work.  I don't know if she meant at the hospital where she actually gets paid, or the pharmacy where she is interning. (I was trying to get dudeling to bed when she came over.)

while she does scrub up and occasionally wears scrubs at the hospital - she has never mentioned a containment suit before.

I assume it is a standard thing.  I had two questions about it when I checked in at my ob/gyn office the other day.

it's standard now.

just like after HIV came along back in the 80's, suddenly, my dental hygienist was wearing gowns and a clear face mask along with her gloves.  though she said it was hepatitis - it started right after HIV became "the big thing".

We took my son to the ER Friday night.  He had a fever (croup, possible pneumonia).  There was a sign in several places instructing people who have a fever and have been in (listed) African countries, in contact with people who had recently been in those countries, or handled certain animal specimens to let them know immediately.  After taking his temperature they asked us directly if he had traveled out of the country recently or had any nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.  When he followed up with his ped on Monday morning (still croup, still possible pneumonia, and an added bonus nasty ear infection and sinus infection) they asked if he has traveled outside of the US recently and if he had had any vomiting or diarrhea.  I thought it was a very good thing they are being proactive to identify possible Ebola cases.  Clearly some people have learned from others mistakes.

I saw four signs today at the doctor with my sign. He even commented to the nurse that he was glad he didn't have ebola like those guys (clip art people depicting symptoms) We were asked upfront if he had any fever. We also had to fill out all symptoms on a piece of paper. which we have never had to do before.

We went in to have dd's cast removed and get everyone a flu shot today.  We were asked in the general check-in area "Have you traveled out of the country or cared for someone who has traveled outside of the country in the last month?"  We were asked the same thing again at the flu shot clinic.  We were asked again when we checked in to the orthopedic office and again when we checked into the "cast room."  It must be new because we were not asked when we went to the minor injury clinic for the original injury 4 weeks ago.

Amber in SJ

We were at an ER a couple weeks ago and they asked us about travel out of the country even though we were there for a head injury. We did have family members out of the country in the last month, but the country wasn't an area of interest so they didn't do anything else after we named the country. They did ask at the first check-in desk when you initially arrive. I wasn't asked at an OB appointment a week ago but I could see signs telling them to ask with maps of the countries in Africa with current outbreaks.

We've had two different doctor appointments in the last two days and haven't seen or been asked anything in regards to Ebola. We have another tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if we go three for three.

This still isn't something that I'm worried about so I have zero problem with not being asked about it for a doctor visit.

I called to schedule an appt for DD last week and when the person picked up the phone he said, "Hello, have you or anyone in your family traveled from West Africa in the last 21 days?" instead of the usual, "Hello, how may I help you." I was a little surprised. 

I called to schedule an appt for DD last week and when the person picked up the phone he said, "Hello, have you or anyone in your family traveled from West Africa in the last 21 days?" instead of the usual, "Hello, how may I help you." I was a little surprised. 

Well that is right to the point there.  Forget the niceties.  And a phone call, at that.  You are hardly contagious over the phone.

We have been asked about fevers for years because our hospital requires masks for coughing/flu/fever so as to hopefully not spread the flu....but this week they included the have you been to Africa question....we are in an area where dr. travel so I guess the precautions are a good move.

When I was in the ER last week, they asked the Ebola screening questions but they also had a sign to notify them if I had been in certain west African countries or in any other country with an Ebola outbreak. I almost answered that yes I had been in the US and we've several Ebola patients but I quickly decided not to since I'm sure they've heard all kinds of smart alec answers lately.

It's become SOP around here for all check-ins at medical facilities. I am not in a state that has had an ebola case. My son had simple blood work the other day and we had to answer a series of questions on fever, recent travels and the like. There are notices all throughout the hospitals in regard to travel in Africa and symptoms. 

We had a genetics appt. at a Children's hospital several weeks ago. When I checked him in I was asked if he had a fever or vomiting or if he himself or anyone he had close contact with had recently traveled outside the US. I'm sure it was about ebola. We've never been asked those questions at that hospital before.

I went to a community hospital today, and they had signs on the door about symptoms and travel, along with masks. I was asked about travel when I checked in at patient registration.