Menu

Quick! Tell me which tv shows are the tamest for little kids

Going on a flight tomorrow with my 4 and 6 y.o. and want to load some new tv episodes on my ipad.  They are very sensitive to "scary" images/thoughts, and I am very picky about the shows not showing kids behaving badly (being rude/disrespectful to each other or adults).

Their current approved shows:  Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, Curious George, Winnie the Pooh (1977 version), Word World (some are too scary), Sid the Science Kid, Thomas the Train (Diesel characters are too scary and we fast forward).  In the past, they even found some Kipper episodes too scary.  I only watched the first part of one Magic School Bus episode, but the kids were rude to each other, so that one is out.

Amazon suggested some of these, but I am not familiar with any of them:

Pocoyo

Dora (I prefer not to introduce so that they don't want Dora stuff)

Peg and Cat

Yo Gabba Gabba

Lunar Jim

Creative Galaxy

Blue's Clues

Olivia

Ava and Lala

Bob the Builder

Rio

Caillou

Any information on these or recommendations?  Many thanks in advance!  Warmly, Konglish

Blue's Clues fits what you're looking for. Very gentle.

Avoid Olivia, who calls her little brother "my little BOTHER" and I think unnecessarily introduces sibling conflict.

Caillou has some whining but isn't too bad.

Yo Gabba Gabba is sometimes about coping with unpleasant feelings. It's good overall, but Brobee tends to whine. He does get over things with the encouragement of the others. If you're familiar with Ni Hao Kai-Lan, it's a bit better than that but not much.

Rio is a movie about a blue macaw. It has a little cartoon violence and suspense; the birds are stolen.

You all are amazing.  Thank you for the quick responses.  For a long time, Maisy was the only show that was allowed, so that definitely fits the gentle category. :)  I desperately want them to like Mr. Rogers, they find the Prince Tuesday puppet creepy (who can argue with that?) and the show kind of boring.  Boo.

We loved Little Bear, but there were a couple of episodes that might be too much (a couple with a goblin, one with a somewhat scary fairytale at a sleepover  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Little_Bear_Episodes). I would avoid the movie at this point, as it has some scary parts. 

I could not stand Caillou's incessant whining.

Can't speak to anything more recent, as mine is 14 now and her shows would be right out. :)

Pocoyo not scary, very instrumental, my kids like it

Dora (I prefer not to introduce so that they don't want Dora stuff) Just say no!

Peg and Cat  This show is fantastic!!  My children love this show so much

Yo Gabba Gabba I find it creepy but I don't think kids would

Lunar Jim 

Creative Galaxy 

Blue's Clues

Olivia

Ava and Lala

Bob the Builder Not scary

Rio

Caillou Caillou is a whiney brat in my opinion and stopped allowing it in my house the second I noticed my oldest, 3 at the time, acting like him. Best decision regarding kids tv ever!

Any information on these or recommendations?  Many thanks in advance!  Warmly, Konglish

So far the kids have loved Peppa Pig, Postman Pat, and Little Bear, with a mixed vote on Backyardigans.  Thanks for the heads up (and link!), KarenNC, so I can edit out some episodes of Little Bear.  I would not have thought it would have scary episodes based on the first one...I guess I didn't learn my lesson from Kipper.  

How do people watch Charlie and Lola?  I could only find it on DVD from Amazon.

One of the wildcraffts episodes scared DS and now he won't watch it. He's not super sensitive to TV stuff either. I'm trying to remember which one was scary. 

Peg + Cat is a favorite here

Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Kids

Little Einsteins 

Cat in the Hat knows a lot about that

Word Girl

Beakmans World (fun science show)

(we do a lot of PBS kids here)

Same issues here -- very sensitive children who are not used to watching a lot of television.  We love Charlie and Lola!  I find full episodes on YouTube for the children.  It is quirky and imaginative, and the older brother is so kind to his younger sister.  We also enjoy Wonder Pets.  

I found French Muzzy (full episode) recently on Youtube, and they liked watching that.  Amazon has Little Pim in various languages.  My children find that too boring, though.

Wild Kratts is educational, and my kids enjoy it; but it does have some scary-ish bad guys.  I much preferred their older show (Zoboomafoo - actually, I think you can still buy it on DVD).

My kids are ok with - bob the builder, postman pat, most of magic school bus, most of the popular mechanics we have (but I chose carefully), sid the science kid, most of dora and Diego, I don't find Caillou whiny, some of little einsteins and back yardigans, peppa pig, bananas in pyjamas, Thomas the tank engine (the old ones are better), some of curious George, The Wiggles, Hi Five, Charlie and lola. I don't bann things because the kids are slightly whiny and rude though. I did bann everything American and one stage because ds7 (3 then) was starting to pronounce things the US way though.